17 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 June 2001 - 01:10 AM

I'm looking for a SIGNED U.S. 1st edition of "COLD FALL" by John Gardner. It's the only U.S. edition I don't have signed. Help!

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 09:30 PM

Well I guess we keep looking then! I noticed you said US first edition, do you have a signed first UK?

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 09:39 PM

I don't have a signed UK either, but I've focusing on finding a U.S. because it's the ONLY US edition I don't have signed. Then I'll have a complete signed set.

Of the UK editions I still need signed editions of...
Win, Lose or Die
Never Send Flowers
SeaFire
GoldenEye
COLD

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 04:24 PM

Blue Eyes (15 Jan, 2002 03:22 a.m.):
Any luck finding this Zencat? I still look out for it on Ebay for you, no luck though.

Nope. No luck.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 03:22 AM

Any luck finding this Zencat? I still look out for it on Ebay for you, no luck though.

#6 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 09:52 PM

You can try spyguise.com. When I was looking around there a few weeks ago I saw that they had signed first US editions Gardner books for sale at $50 each. I don't remember which ones they had though, so COLD Fall may or may not be for sale there signed.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the tip RossMan, but I'm sure they don't have one. In fact, for what I understand, there are only 2 signed copies of COLD FALL (and COLD) in existence and they're both owned by a Bond collector who used to be neighbors w/ John Gardner. Apparently, Gardner won't sign this book. When it came out, he was DONE with Bond.

The collector recently put one up on eBay to test the interest. I was the high bidder (I put in $300), but I didn't meet his reserve.

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 19 July 2001 - 05:21 AM

Damn, that would be very very rare then. But I'm sure somewhere out there there'd be a few more signed, just somehow!

But supposing only two were ever signed, what would their value be worth Zencat? I'd suspect a lot more than $300.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 July 2001 - 03:35 PM

zencat (18 Jul, 2001 03:54 p.m.):
In fact, for what I understand, there are only 2 signed copies of COLD FALL (and COLD) in existence and they're both owned by a Bond collector who used to be neighbors w/ John Gardner. Apparently, Gardner won't sign this book. When it came out, he was DONE with Bond.

Need to correct myself here. While Gardner didn't do any offical signing of COLD FALL, he did sign some copies for friends and collectors. There are more than 2 (as I just saw another this weekend), but I would say possibly less than a dozen total.

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 24 July 2001 - 11:42 PM

You saw this other copy and you drooled didn't you? I know I would :)

So what's an official signing? Like in a bookstore signing for everyone in the que?

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 01:34 AM

Blue Eyes (25 Jul, 2001 12:42 a.m.):
You saw this other copy and you drooled didn't you? I know I would :) So what's an official signing? Like in a bookstore signing for everyone in the que?

Yes to both questions.

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 08:10 AM

Have you ever met Gardner Zencat?

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 04:01 PM

Blue Eyes (25 Jul, 2001 09:10 a.m.):
Have you ever met Gardner Zencat?

No, I sure haven't. And he lived for a time in the U.S. I should have made an effort to get ahold of him. Before the Net there was really no way of knowing when and where he would be doing signings. As far as I know he never did a signing in L.A.

#14 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 11:14 PM

It's a shame isn't it. But the internet is now such a fantastic medium :)

#15 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 04:25 AM

RossMan (16 Jan, 2002 03:41 a.m.):
I don't know if you'd want to try this, zencat; Upon my visits to authors' websites, there'll usually be something about appearences/signings, and some will say to get the book signed, contact the author and do it via mail. Perhaps, probably if your become really desperate, you should try asking John Gardner himself if you could the send the book to him for him to sign. Though you probably wouldn't want to bother him. Just a suggestion.

I'm assuming that you have Benson's signed as well. Though, a signed Gardner book would be a nice addittion to my collection, I can at least be satisfied with a comp. set of signed Bensons.

As far as I know John Gardner doesn't have a website. I don't even think he has an e-mail address anymore (at least the address I have doesn't work anymore).
John Gardner is the second most difficult of the Bond authors to locate (Christopher Wood is the hardest). I found John Pearson several months ago. I thought I had nailed down John Gardner but the address turned out to be that of a financial/investment company. And, anyway, I think John Gardner has become somewhat of a recluse nowadays -- probably even more so since he began facing financial trouble.

I've got a complete set of signed Bensons, but I only have a few signed Gardners (Win, Lose, Or Die being one of them.).

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 04:24 AM

It's a good suggestion, Rossman, and I do this with some authors (including Raymond Benson). But as Gardner lives in England the postage/customs and return postage/customs situation is a bit complicated and I feel like it's asking a little too much of him. Also, I've heard Gardner is a little sick of Bond, etc., so I'm not that comfortable approaching him with a Bond book.

#17 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 03:41 AM

I don't know if you'd want to try this, zencat; Upon my visits to authors' websites, there'll usually be something about appearences/signings, and some will say to get the book signed, contact the author and do it via mail. Perhaps, probably if your become really desperate, you should try asking John Gardner himself if you could the send the book to him for him to sign. Though you probably wouldn't want to bother him. Just a suggestion.

I'm assuming that you have Benson's signed as well. Though, a signed Gardner book would be a nice addittion to my collection, I can at least be satisfied with a comp. set of signed Bensons.

#18 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 12:55 AM

The irony to all that is while you seek out the signed editions, I seek out just any edition!