18 replies to this topic

#1 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:26 PM

I was just doing yet another internet search for that holy grail of Atari games.... James Bond 007 As Seen in Octopussy and I cam across an interview with Charlie Heath, a programmer for Parker Brothers...

"I was at Parker from June through November 1982 - about five months. I'd prototyped a "James Bond" scene during my first few weeks, to see what I could do with a VCS: you're in space orbiting earth in the space shuttle, chasing bio-terrorist pods to shoot them down before they break up in the atmosphere, while your shuttle and the pod are being buffeted about by reentry. You see something that looks a bit like a spinning earth bobbing about at the bottom of the screen. If you watch the movie Moonraker, it's one of the climactic scenes, but Parker wasn't interested in it for the Bond license because they wanted to do something that was more along the lines of Pitfall - little guy running around with various spy gadgets..... Regarding the Bond prototype - it wasn't much beyond a concept, but it was a pretty functional single screen 1st person perspective shooter. Not up to the level of Star Raiders gameplay, but I thought the pseudo-orbiting-world view was pretty cool and unique at that time. I didn't keep a copy of the code when I left Parker Brothers. It might be buried on a backup tape somewhere at Parker Brothers, but more likely the tape was reused for cereal inventory or something like that."

Seems he made a Moonraker prototype, but Parker Brothers was still interested in the Octopussy game (which was going to be a platformer game of the train scenes in the movie).

Supposedly the Octopussy game was also developed into the prototype stages of production when all of a sudden "whoosh it's gone." A playable version of the Octopussy game also made it to a gaming expo New York City in 1983, but this prototype, or the above mentioned Moonraker one, have not resurfaced as of yet.

Attached Files

• Attached File  007.jpg   15.67KB   72 downloads

#2 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:40 AM

Was the Atari Bond game ever released? I remember seeing it advertised on the backs of comic books but, never saw it in a store.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:53 AM

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this, IndyB007. I seem to remember the Atari Octopussy game being advertised on the back of the official Octopussy souvenir mag. Had pics of little Atari-like block men running atop the train, etc. We've sure come a long way, eh?

#4 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:08 AM

Here's a picture of the Atari 2600 that I took at E3 this year. It's really interesting to see the evolution of video game systems.

Attached Files

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:13 AM

I remember being hooked on playing "River Raid" on the Atari in 1984.

#6 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:26 AM

My favourite ATARI is ST, but XL/XE also had some cool games like, including some Bonds

#7 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:32 AM

Was the Atari Bond game ever released? I remember seeing it advertised on the backs of comic books but, never saw it in a store.

View Post

There is another Atari 2600 game called James Bond 007, also by Parker Bros., it has four different levels, the first one was (loosely) based on Diamonds are forever, you're in this little car and you have to shoot satellites out of the sky while jumping over holes in the ground. Pretty lame stuff, the Octopussy game looked better.

#8 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 01:58 PM

View Post

There is another Atari 2600 game called James Bond 007, also by Parker Bros., it has four different levels, the first one was (loosely) based on Diamonds are forever, you're in this little car and you have to shoot satellites out of the sky while jumping over holes in the ground. Pretty lame stuff, the Octopussy game looked better.

View Post

Yeah, that was the only Bond game released on the Atri 2600 and again later on the 5200. It had levels based on Diamonds Are Forever, The Spy Who Loved Me & Moonraker, but it was quite a challenging little game. Here is an excerpt from the game manual to give you an idea of the gameplay....

"DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER

Mission: Land on Seraffino's Oil Rig arid Rescue Tiffany Case
There's lots of glitter in this adventure. But all that glitters is not gold.., it's diamonds and Seraffino's got them! Black market jewelry scheme you're thinking? Wrong. When attached to a communications satellite, the stolen rocks can harness solar energy, create a laser blast, and destroy targets on the Earth's surface. Therefore, Bond, you must get Seraffino. You'll find him on an oil rig off the Pacific coast. There, he controls the diamond satellites' guidance system. By the way, Bond, Serration's holding your.., uh... assistant, Tiffany Case. We believe she's desperately in need of rescue.

The Desert
First you must travel rugged desert terrain in the dead of night. The desert is filled with treacherous, glowing craters that you must jump over--or else be swallowed into its boiling radioactive material!

The Satellites
As satellites pass overhead, they'll drop lasers that will destroy you on impact. Your driving skills will be of the utmost importance in avoiding lasers since it's impossible to destroy the satellites.

The Helicopters
You'll notice, Bond, an occasional helicopter overhead. Sorry, old boy, it's not one of ours. That search light is looking for you, and when it finds you, the chopper drops a bomb. So don't be a sitting duck!

The Diamonds
Giant diamonds hang in the night sky. Hit one with your fixed angle shot to light your way (and to score points). And remember that only by the light of a diamond will you be able to see Seraffino's oil rig once you reach the ocean.

The Ocean
When you reach the ocean, continue to light the sky by hitting diamonds. Remember, you're looking for the oil rig. Helicopters and satellites are still active, too. This time, however, satellites drop lasers that cause a radioactive splash. Get caught in one, and you've splashed your last.

The Mechanical Frogmen
Seraffino's ultimate ocean weapons are his mechanical frogmen. They may look like marine biologists, Bond, but actually are robots designed to create a radioactive splash upon sensing the vibration of approaching crafts. So either clear the splash by jumping over it--or get the frogman first. A most difficult maneuver, even for you, Bond!

The Oil Rig
Seraffino's oil rig will be silhouetted against the sky when you hit a diamond. When it appears, move your craft just to the left of the rig, straight up over the top of the derrick, then down to land on the helipad. When this happens, you've stopped Seraffino and saved Tiffany Case!

Important:
If you've already sighted the oil rig but are unable to hit a diamond as you get closer, dive under the oil rig quickly to avoid crashing and try again on the next one. Unless, of course, you can land successfully in the dark! Hint: As you approach the oil rig in the dark, your fixed angle shot will disappear right after firing. Take this as an immediate warning!
Completion of this mission brings you the next with your remaining crafts.

MOONRAKER

Mission: Destroy Three Spinning Satellites
Billionaire industrialist Hugo Drax has concocted the ultimate scheme in international espionage: the depopulation of the Earth in order to recolonize it with his super-race. The destruction will occur through Drax's poison satellites that rotate through space. As they spin through the night, you must attack them from your vehicle's position on, above, or beneath the lake's surface. A deceptively difficult task.

Space shuttles
Another of Drax's brilliant but dastardly inventions is the Moonraker fleet of space shuttles. Launched from the bottom of the lake, they will destroy you on impact. And remember this: when a space shuttle rises into orbit toward the top of the screen, it turns into a poison bomb and falls back down again. If you're above the water surface when it turns into a bomb, your craft is finished. How to handle a space shuttle? Blow it out at its launch position, dodge it and submerge before it becomes a bomb, or shoot it down in flight. And stay clear of the poison bomb when it hits the surface line and explodes--unless you can shoot it down first!

Submarines
Drax has sent a fleet of torpedo submarines to patrol the depths. The torpedoes are fired from behind so avoid them or destroy them before they destroy you. Better yet, try to get the subs before they fire at all!

Completion of this mission brings you the next with your remaining crafts.

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME

Mission: Destroy Stromberg's Undersea Laboratory
Shipping magnate Karl Stromberg uses huge oil tankers to swallow nuclear submarines right out of the water. It just so happens he's captured a British sub not to mention your fellow agent Anya Amasova. Stromberg must be stopped for good. You'll find him in his undersea laboratory off the coast of Sardinia.

Rockets
Stromberg has rigged the ocean floor with rapid rockets that rise into the air, turn into fire bombs, and explode on the surface line. So stay clear of the rockets, shoot them down in flight, or bomb them out at their launch position. And eliminate or avoid the fire bombs, too.

Submarines
Like Drax, Stromberg has also sent a fleet of torpedo submarines to get you. As you well know, they're killers, Bond. But you've escaped them before and you can do it again!

Helicopters
Stromberg has sent his trigger-happy chopper pilots on a bombing mission.., and you're the target. By the way, Bond, like Seraffino's, these choppers are indestructible, too.

Oil Tankers
When you see one of Stromberg's oil tankers, dive under it. It's simply planted as an obstacle in your path.

The Undersea Laboratory
When you see Stromberg's laboratory at the bottom of the screen, lob a bomb onto it. The explosion will release a capsule that carries Anya Amasova. Swoop down and touch the capsule and your mission is accomplished. Stromberg is destroyed and Anya is saved. If you should miss the laboratory (or the capsule), try again with the next one. Note: You must touch the capsule within four seconds. Otherwise, you must try again. Also, if the capsule floats away from you, lob a bomb onto it to make it float back again.

Completion of this mission ends the game.

END OF GAME

The game ends when you complete the last mission or when you lose the last craft. In either case, you'll receive your final score. The following screen shows a number at the top. This is your AGENT RATING."

An enjoyable if not frustrating entry into the 007 games legacy.

I went through and found a copy of the Ad for the Octopussy game, and here it is for your viewing pleasure... note the fake reviews for the game!

Attached Files

#9 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:42 PM

Blofeld renamed Seraffino?

That's probably the weirdest alternative I've ever heard.

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:58 PM

View Post

Odd that it's the Diamonds Are Forever villain.

#11 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:40 PM

Wasn't it the name of the villain from the novel? Seraffimo Spang?
Anyway, I know this game. You still can find it on the Net and run on an appropriate emulator. It has yet another level based on FYEO.

#12 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:48 PM

I think the best Bond arcade game was LIVE AND LET DIE (made by the same company as BUGGY BOY). The ST version looked real great. It can also be found on the Net.

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS had a bit awkward gameplay, as well as LICENCE TO KILL.

There's an interesting situation with an adventure game called OPERATION STEALTH, which originally wasn't actally a Bond game. Later the main character (a spy) was renamed into James Bond.

#13 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:15 PM

How many bond games where there for the atari. wondering weather or not to buy one just for the bond games.

God...how sad am i :)

#14 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 10:05 PM

There was just the one game officially released for the Atari 2600 with the other two games mentioned above were in the prototype stage, but never released....

#15 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 03:49 AM

Why not use an ATARI emulator for PC?

#16 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 05:03 AM

View Post

Odd that it's the Diamonds Are Forever villain.

View Post

It seems that McClory's reach extended to the world of videogames too. This game would have been early 80s when McClory was planning NSNA, I guess they didn't want to risk any possible injunctions by using the name Blofeld. The game is quite clearly based on the movie version of DAF, as it has an oil rig and satellites, so they just re-named him as the character from the novel.

And 20 odd years later, Blofeld appears in Goldeneye Rogue Agent, although he is only referred to as "Number One".

#17 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 05:14 PM

Why not use an ATARI emulator for PC?

View Post

Could do. how much are they

#18 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:20 PM

How about for free? :) Some of them are difficult to install, though.

#19 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:00 PM

I'll look into it. Thanks

Grubobsuihfuib

Could you not have chosen a easier name to spell :)

Edited by Gri007, 11 July 2005 - 09:01 PM.