This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Is GoldenEye 64 ever going to get remade?

35 replies to this topic

#1 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:24 AM

Today, there was an article about the creators of Half-Life2 recreating all of the multiplayer levels on GE64 for PC. I was just wondering if the entire game will be remade my EA anytime soon (since I got rid of the game, as well as my N64 long ago)

#2 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 08:38 AM

I must say, as a non-gamer, the Half-Life 2 mod looks damn cool.

I, too, would like to see a contemporary update of GoldenEye, but - and I'm no copyright expert - would such a thing be possible? In the truest sense of a remake, it would have to be based on levels from the game, as developed by Rare (a company that no longer exists, I don't think) and produced by Nintendo; however, EA currently own the Bond rights (until, from memory, 2012). Even though the original game was based on GoldenEye, the film, only a handful of pieces of those levels were lifted from that film; most of the game - in terms of its structure - was original.

I'll still pull out my Nintendo and GoldenEye every now and again, even if Perfect Dark ended up more or less surpassing it in every aspect.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 01:38 PM

A related article: http://debrief.comma...topic=23819&hl=

#4 The_Mole

The_Mole

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 03:35 PM

I think it's great that fans and modders now have the ability to do this.

GoldenEye Source will be the best Bond game since GoldenEye 64, and will be more supreme over anything EA will come up with in the next 100 years.

Half-Life 2 is such an amazing game. To utilize the physics and graphical power, will make GoldenEye great again.

This proves that GoldenEye has surpassed the test of time - something EA's games will never do.

#5 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 09:00 PM

Is the entire game going to be adapted, or just the multi-player levels?

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:39 PM

I would hope the entire game.

#7 0010

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:20 AM

I think just the multi at first and then single player after that.

#8 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:52 AM

Honestly, don't get your hopes up for GoldenEye: Source. Similar games that are getting makeovers as total conversions usually get shutdown by their publishers or developers. I'm betting RARE, Nintendo, or even Microsoft may step in and shut it down before it gets released.

It is possible, that the game may be rereleased on the next-generation Nintendo console since according to Nintendo you'll be able to download any previous Nintendo game (NES-N64) for an unknown fee.

#9 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:04 AM

I would love to see GoldenEye remade by EA Games into a From Russia With Love type video game with more relevance to the film than the original 64. It can be in third person, and this time Alec Trevelyan can help you out for the Facility mission. It would be nice if Sean Bean did the voice.

If not, I'd like to see the original GoldenEye 64 updated for the next-gen console systems. This time they could have voice-actors and cinematics, plus orchestrated music by a famous person.

GoldenEye: Source looks amazing. Half Life 2 IS amazing!

(A friend of mine made the Temple multiplayer map for Counter Strike source. I played it, and it was fun. :) )

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:55 AM

I think just the multi at first and then single player after that.

View Post

Be nice to get more levels.

#11 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:08 AM

To be perfectly honest, I hope that EA Games does not remake Goldeneye because, though I have absolutely nothing against EA Games, I thoroughly enjoyed The World is not Enough, Nightfire, and Goldeneye:Rogue Agent, Goldeneye was such a cool game that they would not be able to improve upon it, and well, I just wouldn't enjoy it as much if it was not on a Nintendo 64. The 64 was the first console that I owned that used Analog sticks to control your character. IMHO, all of the other consoles are nothing more than copies of the 64.

Todd

#12 The_Hunted

The_Hunted

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:12 PM

It would have to be REALLY GOOD in order to top the original Goldeneye, and what are the chances of that happening.

#13 British Assasin

British Assasin

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:21 AM

Why would you remake Goldeneye64? It's perfectly good as it is. And EA would turn it into :). :)

#14 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:43 AM

A remake of GoldenEye for the Nintendo 64 would be impossible. Nintendo and Rare no longer have a partnership. Rare only makes games for Microsoft now but Nintendo got to keep Donkey Kong, Star Fox, etc. Plus, Electronic Arts owns the rights to make James Bond video games. However, one will probably be able to download the original GoldenEye for the Revolution for a fee.

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:54 AM

It would have to be REALLY GOOD in order to top the original Goldeneye, and what are the chances of that happening.

View Post

Quite.

#16 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:15 PM

GE 64 is the perfect Bond game. It's like Connery, every game that is released is measured against it. It's the largest selling game in N64 history.

I think it should be left where it is. A classic, it'd be like doing a film remake of FRWL...

#17 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:22 PM

GE 64 is the perfect Bond game.  It's like Connery, every game that is released is measured against it.  It's the largest selling game in N64 history.

I think it should be left where it is.  A classic, it'd be like doing a film remake of FRWL...

View Post

I don't think that there should be a remake of the game. GE 64 was one of the greatest games of all-time and should be left just the way that it is.

#18 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:30 PM

I think I phrased the title of this thread wrong. I was wondering if GE:64 was ever going to be rereleased? It's been a very long time since I have played the game (before I was a Bond fan) and I was wondering if it would be re-released on any modern game consoles.

#19 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:35 PM

I think I phrased the title of this thread wrong. I was wondering if GE:64 was ever going to be rereleased? It's been a very long time since I have played the game (before I was a Bond fan) and I was wondering if it would be re-released on any modern game consoles.

View Post

I doubt that it will get re-released. I can't see there being a market for an old game that a lot of gamers already own. Unless there were going to be some improvements made to it (graphics, frame rate), then I wouldn't see where Nintendo or Rare (or whoever would actually be doing this) would have any incentive to re-release it.

#20 British Assasin

British Assasin

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:45 PM

GE 64 is the perfect Bond game.  It's like Connery, every game that is released is measured against it.  It's the largest selling game in N64 history.

I think it should be left where it is.  A classic, it'd be like doing a film remake of FRWL...

Couldn't have said it any better.

#21 Mina Galore

Mina Galore

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:28 AM

GoldenEye 64 was the first game I ever got the chance to master. I remember spending hours at my cousin's house just to get through it. Amazing game. Ahead of its time too. I would love a re-release preferably on CD-Rom or any new game console.

#22 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 05:40 AM

(since I got rid of the game, as well as my N64 long ago)

View Post

How could you!!! :)

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 02:03 PM

(since I got rid of the game, as well as my N64 long ago)

View Post

How could you!!! :)

View Post

It's a game to always keep. :)

#24 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:21 PM

darn straight!

#25 Trevelyan_Moneypenny

Trevelyan_Moneypenny

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:42 AM

Oooh, that would be cool! Perhaps if we "hint" to EA games that we will all play a remade Bond game, they might like the idea.

#26 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 02:59 AM

Hint?

#27 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:43 PM

GoldenEye 64 is without a doubt the best console game I have ever played. Perfect Dark is a very close second.

#28 00Kevin

00Kevin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:04 AM

as a history nerd i'm bumping this for all to see. i think it's interesting to see everyones opinions about this concept being impossible but 5 years later it is a reality!

#29 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:28 AM

THIS IS THE STORY:

Better keep your N64 (like me) b/c the chances of this game getting remade at this point are slim to none.

Two years ago, it was revealed/leaked that Rare had been working on and completed an enhanced port of the N64 original for Xbox Live, but that it was not going to be released. Shortly after, it was revealed that Activision (who holds the rights to create Bond videogames), Rare (the developers of the original N64 game and owners of that games code), Microsoft (who since 2002 have owned Rare) all gave the updated port a green light.

Rare had been working on the game (it doesn't take too long to port a game) while the legal issues were worked out. The deal was that Microsoft would obviously get the enhanced port (w/ online multiplayer like the Perfect Dark remake) and Nintendo would be legally allowed to put the original N64 game on the Wii's Virtual Console and be financially compensated.

But Nintendo, who have partial rights to the original N64 game as well since they published the game, basically said "No." There are conflicting reports (it's never been officially stated) that Nintendo and Microsoft couldn't agree on the financial terms as well as Nintendo just didn't want GoldenEye on any console except a Nintendo one. Either way, it was blocked b/c of Nintendo.

If this deal had gone through, GoldenEye Wii would not exist. Btw, Nintendo has no rights whatsoever to GoldenEye Wii. Activision is free to port it to the PS3 or 360 if they so choose, but I don't think they have any plans to.

#30 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:38 PM

I would hope the entire game.

If they do remake the original N64 Goldeney game, I do hope they include many quirks (like the guards, when thought to be unseen, will aim their rifles at passing flies or randomly scratch their backsides).