32 replies to this topic

#1 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:59 AM

I thought he stole the show in Batman Begins; I was missing him during the 40 odd minutes he was away. It was nice to see him play a villian for a change...He's always playing a wise,noble guy and he hasn't played this type of character before and he was really great at it. As a villian, he has great presence(6'4)and convincing menace.He would give Bond, any Bond, a run for his money. I'd love to see it someday.

Your thoughts?

#2 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:10 AM

I would love to see Liam Neeson as a Bond villain sometime down the road. I'm not sure if he would be right for Le Chiffre, especially since I've got some others that I favor for that role already, but Neeson should definitely be given a chance to play a villain in a Bond film.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:12 AM

Totally support this. I couldn't even believe how restrained, but effective his role was in Batman Begins.

:)

#4 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:26 PM

I thought he stole the show in Batman Begins; I was missing him during the 40 odd minutes he was away. It was nice to see him play a villian for a change...He's always playing a wise,noble guy and he hasn't played this type of character before and he was really great at it. As a villian, he has great presence(6'4)and convincing menace.He would give Bond, any Bond, a run for his money. I'd love to see it someday.

Your thoughts?

View Post

/spoiler.gif
Oooh... Tarl, you should mark those as spoilers!
/gen_line.gif
:)

Yes, I definitely agree; Liam Neeson would make a great Bond villian. :) Or even any other Bond character would be nice... like a sidekick or something, maybe? Like maybe a ninja! :)

Okay, maybe not. But as any other villian, he could be great.

#5 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:29 PM

Liam Neeson, as the villain, and the actor playing Bond will switch faces a quarter of the way through the movie.

#6 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:25 PM

I vote no.

Look at the villain from the best Connery film: Gert Frobe.

Then look at the villain from the best Roger Moore film: Curt Jurgens.

Analysis - get a German character actor little known to US/UK audiences and you are golden.

#7 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:39 PM

I vote no.

Analysis - get a German character actor little known to US/UK audiences and you are golden.

View Post

???

The best Roger Moore villian was Yaphet Kotto as Mr. Big.

#8 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:50 PM

Who did the most damage to James Bond over a 12 yr period?

I vote Roger Moore.

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:30 PM

View Post

I'd say that's pretty subjective. It doesn't seem that there has ever been a Roger Moore villain that has stood out by far to be the best.

#10 Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:02 PM

View Post

I'd say that's pretty subjective. It doesn't seem that there has ever been a Roger Moore villain that has stood out by far to be the best.

View Post

C H R I S T O P H E R W A L K E N

Edited by Sam Fisher, 20 June 2005 - 10:02 PM.

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:13 PM

View Post

View Post

C H R I S T O P H E R W A L K E N

View Post

He's good, but then compare him to Hugo Drax who has some of the best lines in the series or Scaramanga, who played by Lee always seems to be a favorite.

#12 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:21 PM

I loved Liam Neeson in Batman Begins but my favorite Liam Neeson part by far was Qui-gon Jinn. It's too bad he was only in episode one. He'd be a great villain though.

#13 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:02 AM

I vote no.

View Post

How about Richard Kiel as Jaws, Christopher Lee as Scaramanga, or Chirstopher Walken as Zorin. I thionk they were far superior to any of Connery's villains with the exception of Red Grant, the best Connery villain.

#14 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:06 AM

I think Liam Neeson would make a very credible Bond Villain.

He has a distinct charisma about him, and if he could be as suave and sophisticated like he was in 'Schindler's List', he could go down as one of the best Baddies.

However, if we do not get a strong James Bond, he could overpower our hero.

#15 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:07 AM

But back to the main point, Neeson could be a great Bond villain, maybe make him someone who Bond should be familiar with and know from his past, an old school friend, perhaps or former instructor? Just a little thought.

#16 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:08 AM

I vote no.

View Post

How about Richard Kiel as Jaws, Christopher Lee as Scaramanga, or Chirstopher Walken as Zorin. I thionk they were far superior to any of Connery's villains with the exception of Red Grant, the best Connery villain.

View Post

If speaking only of main villains, I'd guess Jaws and Red Grant could be in the henchman categories.

#17 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:43 AM

I think Liam Neeson would make a very credible Bond Villain.

He has a distinct charisma about him, and if he could be as suave and sophisticated like he was in 'Schindler's List', he could go down as one of the best Baddies.

However, if we do not get a strong James Bond, he could overpower our hero.

View Post

He was red hot after Schindler in '94 and was considered a candidate for 007 but I think he passed promptly. I think he's got some 007ish qualities but he's too tall for Bond. He would be a great villian. We need a great villian!!! 3 films in a row have featured weak villians. Bond needs an adversary who can get his hands dirty if need be. :)

#18 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:58 AM

Yes, I can remember that Mate.

I can imagine him like a kind of dark and brooding French or German thick accented Villain.

Bond "do you expect me to talk?"

Von Crinklehoff "no Mester Vond...Iz expect you to cry!". :)

He was red hot after Schindler in '94 and was considered a candidate for 007 but I think he passed promptly. I think he's got some 007ish qualities but he's too tall for Bond. He would be a great villian. We need a great villian!!! 3 films in a row have featured weak villians. Bond needs an adversary who can get his hands dirty if need be. :)

View Post

#19 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:53 AM

He was red hot after Schindler in '94 and was considered a candidate for 007 but I think he passed promptly.

Wasn't he considered, along with Timothy Dalton and others, for the role of James Bond in Kevin McClory's Warhead Project that he was trying to get made during the 1990s?

#20 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:12 AM

I don't think so tdalton.He was too serious an actor for Bond back then anyway.

#21 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:40 AM

I don't think so tdalton.He was too serious an actor for Bond back then anyway.

View Post

Oh well. I thought I had heard that somewhere down the line. Maybe it was someone telling me that they thought that he would make a good 007.

#22 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:45 AM

He was red hot after Schindler in '94 and was considered a candidate for 007 but I think he passed promptly.

Wasn't he considered, along with Timothy Dalton and others, for the role of James Bond in Kevin McClory's Warhead Project that he was trying to get made during the 1990s?

View Post

I think he was rumoured for a while - definitely linked to the Bond role. His look at the beginning of Schindler's list probably helped in that respect.

Normally I'd stick firmly to the "unknown actors only for villains, girls etc." line. But Neeson has such great charisma that he could really do it. Chris Walken and Telly Savalas are good examples of where a well known actors have brought a great deal to the role of a villain. Nevertheless, I much prefer the ones that you only seem to have seen in a Bond film: Drax, Goldfinger, Dr No (well I haven't seen him in any other film), Stromberg etc. - their characters somehow live on as distinct wheras Zorin, even though a great villain, is still just Christopher Walken.

Anyway, Neeson would be great :)

#23 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:07 AM

He would have made a good Bond. But as a villain, he can

#24 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:16 AM

[quote name='SecretAgentFan' date='21 June 2005 - 10:07']He would have made a good Bond. But as a villain, he can

#25 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:55 PM

[quote name='SecretAgentFan' date='21 June 2005 - 05:07']He would have made a good Bond. But as a villain, he can

#26 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:21 PM

[quote name='Qwerty' date='21 June 2005 - 09:55'][quote name='SecretAgentFan' date='21 June 2005 - 05:07']He would have made a good Bond. But as a villain, he can

#27 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:30 PM

Yeah, Bond does do seconds. Sean Bean, anyone? He was the baddie in Patriot Games before he was one in Goldeneye

#28 callmejames

callmejames

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:44 PM

Yeah, Bond does do seconds.  Sean Bean, anyone?  He was the baddie in Patriot Games before he was one in Goldeneye

View Post

Not to mention Christopher Lee, for whom being a baddie is a stock in trade. Robert Davi was a bad guy in Raw Deal (opposite Ah-nuld). I wouldn't say that Bond doesn't do sloppy seconds.

What I would say, however, is that Bond doesn't do actors who are already associated with an iconic figure elsewhere, which is why we'll probably never see Anthony Hopkins as M or a villain. He's Hannibal Lecter to too many people.

#29 TortillaFactory

TortillaFactory

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1964 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:09 PM

He was red hot after Schindler in '94 and was considered a candidate for 007

Then again, so was Lambert Wilson...they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel at that point.

(No offense to Lambert, honestly, but Bond really ought to be British. And preferably, not hve Largo's nose.)

Edited by TortillaFactory, 21 June 2005 - 08:09 PM.

#30 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:20 PM

I vote no.

View Post

View Post

If speaking only of main villains, I'd guess Jaws and Red Grant could be in the henchman categories.

View Post

Grant could be considered a henchman, since he seemed a Grunt, but it was he came up with the plan to get teh lektor off that train. Plus he cleverly eliminated anyone who got in his way until he underestimated Bond. But as henchman go, he's difinitely the most brutal and inteeligent, albeit demented.