25 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:57 PM

Here's an idea. We all know IFP isn't going to reissue the Gardner books anytime soon, but what if they allowed the Gardner books to be adapted into graphic novels instead? The Gardner books are very visual, they walk that fine line between book Bond and film Bond very nicely. They are already stories approved by IFP so they don't need to be so involved. Younger fans will finally get to read the Gardner books, IFP gets a little $$$ with minimal work, and everyone is happy...especially me. :)

Maybe start with the first three books (which, IMO, are he best); Licence Renewed, For Special Services, and Icebreaker. If these sell, they can go on and on and maybe do the Benson books as well.

Gardner graphic novels

#2 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:28 PM

A brilliant idea. IFP benefit by new product and a resurgence of interest, John Gardner hopefully benefits and a new generation of Bond fans will be introduced to an underrated time in Bond literary history.

I actually proposed this to an author of a previous Bond comic story. A few years back I actually suggested it to IFP but I think they wanted the attention on their "current" Bond project and I doubt their position would have changed.

The Gardner novels would make excellent graphic art.

Good idea, Zencat. Now, if only that could be done with Shatterhand.... :)

ACE

#3 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:31 PM

i like the idea john. Be pretty cool perhaps if they were done in the style of the old newspaper strips. Although i wouldn't mind seeing some of my favourite contempory comic book artists tackle it such as John Romita Jnr, Phil Hester & Kevin O'Neill.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:35 PM

Good idea, Zencat. Now, if only that could be done with Shatterhand.... :)

View Post

That thought has also crossed my mind. :)

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 12:21 AM

I love the idea. It could also inspire more interest in the Gardner books, get them "going" a bit more.

#6 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 12:32 AM

What i'd really like to see is some brand new Express strips. I'd loved it if they did that. The anticipation of getting the paper each day to see what happens next as well as collecting them as they went along. It'd be so great.

Gardner adaptations would be good to though.

#7 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 03:35 AM

If the art was good, I would definitely pick up such a project but, realistically, I don't see it happening.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 03:42 AM

I actually proposed this to an author of a previous Bond comic story. A few years back I actually suggested it to IFP but I think they wanted the attention on their "current" Bond project and I doubt their position would have changed.

View Post

You're probably right. What with SilverFin now and any future projects... :)

#9 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:32 AM

I guess the cheapest way to start collecting is to get a first edition hardcover Silverfin and get Higson to sign it. Then put it away for the next 50 years and hope it becomes more valuable. :)

How did this post end up on this thread??

Edited by Skudor, 06 June 2005 - 07:35 AM.

#10 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:30 AM

Although I cannot really see this happening, Icebreaker would make a brilliant graphic novel. Perhaps if Jim Lee, who did some mighty fine work on the Batman: Hush graphic novel, were interested?

It would revive interest in Gardner's work which would be a positive (on the most part) and would also IFP with some extra revenue but still... can't see it happening.

Great dream though.

#11 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:21 PM

Licence Renewed and For Special Services starring Horak's Bond in cool black and white?

Sounds great! A new lease of life for both Gardner's stories and Horak's imagery.

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:49 PM

I think For Special Services would be the Gardner book I'd most like to see turned into a graphic novel.

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:56 PM

Excellent idea zencat! I am drooling at the mere thought.

#14 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:17 PM

Great idea! Who do you think should be the illustrator, Mike Grell, Gulacy perhaps?

#15 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:30 PM

I like the idea a lot but alas doubt it will ever happen.

I for one am in favor of ther being more Bond comics. My guess is that his past comic adventures (comic books, that is not the Newspapers strips) didn't seel that well. Otherwise I think we would see more of them.

I remember reading somewhere a few years ago that Jim Lee (mentioned above as the artist of Batman: Hush) was interested in getting the comic rights. If that could ever happen I would be beside myself with joy.

#16 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:23 PM

If anything i don't think I'am too bothered about having Gardner comic books. i'm not saying i'am against it. If anything I probably wan't more original Bond stories for comic book version

#17 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:50 AM

[quote name='zencat' date='5 June 2005 - 20:57']Here's an idea. We all know IFP isn't going to reissue the Gardner books anytime soon, but what if they allowed the Gardner books to be adapted into graphic novels instead? The Gardner books are very visual, they walk that fine line between book Bond and film Bond very nicely. They are already stories approved by IFP so they don't need to be so involved. Younger fans will finally get to read the Gardner books, IFP gets a little $$$ with minimal work, and everyone is happy...especially me. :)

Maybe start with the first three books (which, IMO, are he best); Licence Renewed, For Special Services, and Icebreaker. If these sell, they can go on and on and maybe do the Benson books as well.

Gardner graphic novels

#18 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 05:04 PM

If anything i don't think I'am too bothered about having Gardner comic books. i'm not saying i'am against it.  If anything I probably wan't more original Bond stories for  comic book version

View Post

Please allow me to withdraw the statement i made above. Original bond stories such as Silent Armagedon and Permission To Die, I think where good for graphic novels.

After reading the Gardner reveiws here on Cbn. Gardner graphic novels would make his novels even more like film. We wouldnt see what Gardner desribes in our minds but we would see it visually on paper infront of us. I think Gardner graphic novels would be a fantastic move Zencat. :) :)

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:24 PM

Great idea! Who do you think should be the illustrator, Mike Grell, Gulacy perhaps?

View Post

Be cool to have different ones from different illustrators.

#20 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:14 PM

One of my dreams is to have a monthly Bond Comic series, maybe adapt one novel for 6 issues a year, the other half, do original stories. The Gardner novels I'd love to see are License Renewed (Great for the first six, don't you think?), For Special Services, Role of Honor, Nobody Lives Forever, No Deals, Mr. Bond, and Win Lose or Die

#21 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:03 PM

One of my dreams is to have a monthly Bond Comic series, maybe adapt one novel for 6 issues a year, the other half, do original stories.  The Gardner novels I'd love to see are License Renewed (Great for the first six, don't you think?), For Special Services, Role of Honor, Nobody Lives Forever, No Deals, Mr. Bond, and Win Lose or Die

View Post

Simlar to the weekly Judge Dredd/2000AD comic series.

#22 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:51 AM

Apparently Role of Honour was proposed to be adapted but (for unknowned reason to me) cancelled.

#23 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:37 PM

For a few years now, I've been trying to find at least reprints (if not the original editions) of the original Japanese manga that were done of the original Fleming Bond novels. The fellow who was signed by IFP to do them subsequently went onto fame as the creator of the Golgo13 character.

I would love to see a similarly serious conversion to graphic novels or manga for the Gardner books.

#24 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:02 PM

Apparently Role of Honour was proposed to be adapted but (for unknowned reason to me) cancelled.

Yes, I just saw that over at oo7 magazine online. And Icebreaker!

#25 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:57 PM

I'm kind of surprised Licence Renewed wasn't then. If anything, that sounds like it would have made a good one (with the return of Bond and all).

#26 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:04 AM

This would be a great idea. I'd like to see Icebreaker adapted most of all.