69 replies to this topic

#1 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:49 AM

I don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere yet, I hope not, but Raymond Benson's website specifically states that his next novel is finished and will be published in November 2005.

I've only read Tomorrow Never Dies by him, but I did enjoy the first Splinter Cell novel. It was very much like a Bond adventure except...well umm without Bond and his characteristics :) and it was told in the first-person. Good stuff. Anyway, can't wait for the second one.

Related note.. the games are awesome, although I've yet to play Chaos Theory. :)

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:58 AM

We mentioned it in the last paragraph of this main page article, along with the tentative title; Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell

#3 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:02 AM

[quote name='zencat' date='13 May 2005 - 23:58']We mentioned it in the last paragraph of this main page article, along with the tentative title; Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:25 AM

I'm looking forward to this book. I enjoyed the first.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:40 AM

Didn't realize it's already on Amazon.com

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 12:48 PM

Hopefully I'll get this one at where I work again. It was a cool surprise to see we had the first one when it came out.

#7 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:03 AM

[quote name='zencat' date='14 May 2005 - 04:58']We mentioned it in the last paragraph of this main page article, along with the tentative title; Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell

#8 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:38 AM

I haven't played Chaos Theory yet. I've beaten the first one and almost beat the second. Never knew they were books.

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:01 AM

I think it's a cool title. Sometimes one-word titles just hit it. :)

#10 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:42 PM

I like that the books are somewhat separate from the games so I think it's fitting that the title is slightly different to what you would expect.

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:43 PM

But know that is only a tentative title. RB says they haven't decided what the final title will be.

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:22 PM

This one still has a chance as the full finale title though, yes?

#13 Xboxster

Xboxster

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 12:03 AM

I should start reading these books. I've heard a lot of good things about them. Then again, I need to read Ian Fleming's Bond novels, Halo novels, and the Lord of the Rings books. I'm gonna be busy this summer. :)

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:06 AM

Go with the Bond books. :)

#15 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:44 AM

It's a pity that Benson's own name isn't on the cover of these "Splinter Cell" things, and that he has to go under this George Michael alias or whatever it is.

zencat, what did you think of the first book? As good as his Bond adventures?

#16 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:17 AM

It's a pity that Benson's own name isn't on the cover of these "Splinter Cell" things, and that he has to go under this George Michael alias or whatever it is.

zencat, what did you think of the first book? As good as his Bond adventures?

View Post

I'll answer for zencat. It was great.

:)

J/K! I'll let zencat answer your question. But personally, I thought this novel was just as good as some of his Bond novels. You should check it out. Heck, it may even be better than the games!

#17 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:29 PM

The book was officially confirmed to be "Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Operation Baracuda".

Will be released November 05.

#18 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:47 AM

Benson was only under contract to write the first two novels. Has he stated lately whether he's going to continue now that the second one is done and ready to be released soon ... or? Anybody know?

#19 Vesper

Vesper

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:34 AM

I rememeber him saying at a book signing a little while ago he was under pen name so they could switch authors when he's done without anyone knowing, dunno why though.

Anyways I've read the first one and it was excellent, hope Operation Barracude meets my expectations. :)

#20 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:05 AM

I rememeber him saying at a book signing a little while ago he was under pen name so they could switch authors when he's done without anyone knowing, dunno why though.

View Post

Keeps some sort of continuity.

#21 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 04:08 AM

View Post

Keeps some sort of continuity.

View Post

It's so they don't lose readers if there is a change in authors. A lot of book series tend to see a drop in sales from author to author. Clancy probably knows this best considering all his spinoffs and original series written by a number of authors. I seem to recall Benson saying this was an experiment anyway.

#22 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:40 AM

I should start reading these books. I've heard a lot of good things about them. Then again, I need to read Ian Fleming's Bond novels, Halo novels, and the Lord of the Rings books. I'm gonna be busy this summer. :)

View Post

Fleming is an easy read...I just reread CR in a night...I don't know about HALO but if you're reading LOTR be ready for something like 3 very long, very dry history books with little to no action. So unless you really really like hobbits, I wouldn't bother.

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:29 PM

Got mine pre-ordered. :)

#24 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:49 PM

Right let me get this straight. Tom Clancy is an author, but obviously didn't write Splinter Cell cus Benson did. But Clancys name is on the Splinter Cell and rainbow 6 games on way that made me think that he created/wrote them. So did Clancy create the idea for the game.

#25 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:22 AM

Right let me get this straight.  Tom Clancy is an author, but obviously didn't write Splinter Cell cus Benson did.  But Clancys name is on the Splinter Cell and rainbow 6 games on way that made me think that he created/wrote them.  So did Clancy create the idea for the game.

View Post

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure he gets sole credit for it. He does have other series that he collaborated on. Just the idea anyway, I'm sure Ubisoft created most of it though.

#26 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:08 AM

Tom Clancy created the ideas for all of his games, and actually (occasionally) writes for the Rainbow Six series. Dunno why he never took a crack at the Splinter Cell books, though.

#27 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:46 AM

Surely has to be a busy guy.

#28 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 04:13 AM

Right let me get this straight.  Tom Clancy is an author, but obviously didn't write Splinter Cell cus Benson did.  But Clancys name is on the Splinter Cell and rainbow 6 games on way that made me think that he created/wrote them.  So did Clancy create the idea for the game.

View Post

Basically Clancy came up with Rainbow Six for one of his novels, Ubisoft bought the rights to the idea and made a bunch of Rainbow Six games. Then presumably someone at Ubisoft had an idea for a hi-tech CIA spy game and presented it to Clancy, who probably said "Yeah sure" and took their money, LOL. Same deal with the Ghost Recon games...

#29 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 04:43 AM

View Post

Basically Clancy came up with Rainbow Six for one of his novels, Ubisoft bought the rights to the idea and made a bunch of Rainbow Six games. Then presumably someone at Ubisoft had an idea for a hi-tech CIA spy game and presented it to Clancy, who probably said "Yeah sure" and took their money, LOL. Same deal with the Ghost Recon games...

View Post

Clancy is a brand. It's not just the man. R6, Ghost Recon, and Splinter Cell were made by Clancy's game development company (the first game of each series anyway). I'm sure 'he' made notable contributions somehow. The only one I would question as to whether he contributed anything is Ghost Recon since it's merely a small step up from Rainbow Six. In this case I would say the idea was pitched, he endorsed, and that was the end of it. Splinter Cell, I'd bet had some input, but theres no telling.

#30 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 04:49 AM

Out Now!