zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:32 PM

Apple dumps IBM for INTEL:

http://news.yahoo.co.../apple_intel_dc

Does this mean I should hold off on getting my G5?

#62 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 01:15 PM

I think you should perhaps. Unless you're planning on buying another Mac in a few years. Just to be future proof.

I'm not sure - still in shock. Can't be sure if this is a good or bad thing for Apple.

#63 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:52 AM

A PC is the go. :)

#64 TGO

TGO

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:22 PM

And the interesting thing with using Intel processors, is that you may actually install Windows XP on a Mac!

#65 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:25 PM

And the interesting thing with using Intel processors, is that you may actually install Windows XP on a Mac!

View Post

*shudder*

#66 TGO

TGO

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 03:35 PM

Guess what folks? I am the owner of a brand new 20 inch iMac G5. Its so damn cool to look at, but its even better to use. And also, I got a new copy of Final Cut, so I have an almost high end editing workstation.

#67 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 03:59 PM

Awesome, TGO! Congrats. :)

#68 Matt O'S oo4

Matt O'S oo4

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 06:06 AM

TGO!!!!

Very cool.

I use a PC to do most of my internet and general word processing on, however...

I use a Mac for just that very purpose.

I am curretnly finishing up a little DVD project using Final Cut Pro and the iDVD software to create a little fun from the video 003 and I shot last year while in Amsterdam and London.

Final Cut Pro is the BEST...hands down.

You'll love it, if you haven't already used it before, I ma sure you'll be using it for a long time.

I have had the software for about two years and I make a point of doing a little researh in the Help files to learn how to do a different effect or type of editing.

Its been a total joy.

Let me know what you think. PM me about it. I'd love to talk shop.

MAC's do indeed surve a special purpose and not everyone will want ot like them.

OOPS

As for the topic of discussion.....I am keeping my eyes open about thsi one. I heard that the first G5's were having a little issue with overheating.

Faster than they thought...I suppose.

I would advise talking to your nearest reseller. They often get some inside skuttlebutt. I am hopefull that it kicks up the speed a notch, but, buying one now?

Perhaps not until all the votes come in...as it were.

#69 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:53 AM

TGO!!!!

Very cool.

I use a PC to do most of my internet and general word processing on, however...

I use a Mac for just that very purpose.

I am curretnly finishing up a little DVD project using Final Cut Pro and the iDVD software to create a little fun from the video 003 and I shot last year while in Amsterdam and London.

Final Cut Pro is the BEST...hands down.

You'll love it, if you haven't already used it before, I ma sure you'll be using it for a long time.

I have had the software for about two years and I make a point of doing a little researh in the Help files to learn how to do a different effect or type of editing.

Its been a total joy.

Let me know what you think.  PM me about it.  I'd love to talk shop.

MAC's do indeed surve a special purpose and not everyone will want ot like them. 

OOPS

As for the topic of discussion.....I am keeping my eyes open about thsi one.  I heard that the first G5's were having a little issue with overheating.

Faster than they thought...I suppose.

I would advise talking to your nearest reseller.  They often get some inside skuttlebutt.  I am hopefull that it kicks up the speed a notch, but, buying one now?

Perhaps not until all the votes come in...as it were.

View Post

I can't wait to see this! :)

#70 Matt O'S oo4

Matt O'S oo4

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 04:54 AM

Your ON.

Just PM me your address and as soon as 003 gets me the last bit of video....

I am about 95% complete.

Mostly silly stuff, but fun.

Some of the humor is seriously inside jokes, but, easily explained.

At any rate, it was a good ride and I keep learing things from the software all the time.

Cheers!

#71 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:01 AM

Sounds cool, 004. As for me, I'm happy with my Dell. The Mac just never did it for me, no real reason I guess. It's a fine piece of craftsmanship but I just could never get the hang of one. :)

#72 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 08:37 AM

I suppose a casual computer user could have a hard time with a Mac if they're used to a PC. I used to hate Macs, back when they were power PCs. I found them to be way too expensive and not very reliable (weak performance, lots of crashes). I used to opt for more powerful PCs which cost less.

However, with the G4 and now G5, I am completely satisfied. I still like PCs well enough. But for the professional stuff I have to do (editing, graphic design) I use my G5. I'm not concerned about the processor issue. You can get the G5 with PC processor now, and be confident it works. But if you want the Intel, I'd wait a bit until after the initial Intel/G5s are in the market because many times the first batch of new Macs have bugs (so I'm told). I use a PC mouse because I can't live without double-clicking/scrolling wheel. And having dual 21-inch flat-panel cinema displays is very easy to get used to.

Space-wise, adding external 250gb harddrives is one option...and they usually cost about $220, which is amazing...I remember when getting 13gb seemed like more space than you'll ever need (boy was I wrong!) Personally, I use a 1 terabyte Sata Raid harddrive cabinet. Believe it or not, I have found this pretty easy to fill up as well...particularly if I am capturing uncompressed video at the maximum quality.

#73 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:33 AM

Your ON.

Just PM me your address and as soon as 003 gets me the last bit of video....

I am about 95% complete.

Mostly silly stuff, but fun.

Some of the humor is seriously inside jokes, but, easily explained.

At any rate, it was a good ride and I keep learing things from the software all the time.

Cheers!

View Post

Excellent - just sent you a PM.

I had been using iMovie for ages as it was so easy to use and gave some really professional results.

However, after there being a very annoying bug in iMovie, I've switched now to Final Cut Express HD. Seems pretty cool. A lot different to iMovie, so it'll take some time getting used to. But it does everything I need so far.

#74 Matt O'S oo4

Matt O'S oo4

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 10:05 PM

Excellent!!

Let me know how it goes!

#75 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:42 PM

I've had an iBook for the past year, and an iPod Photo and a Bose sound-dock for the past 5 weeks. I must say that having a Mac makes a lot of things easier, especially organizing my work and documents. All of the computers at my school are iBooks as well and they are incredible. The only downside I've had is with my Airport connection (hence my constant double posting.) However, I am more than pleased with my iPod and the Bose speakers. I highly recommend both as opposed to some cheap imitation made for PC-heads. :)

#76 Mina Galore

Mina Galore

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:31 PM

Proud Mac user here since the day I was born. Unfortunately I don't have Tiger yet, but once I can transfer all my files I'll be up and running. I couldn't live without OS X.

#77 TGO

TGO

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:54 PM

Everyone...meet the iPod Nano.

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

Posted Image

#78 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 02:46 PM

I can't stop drooling over this.

#79 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 02:53 PM

It's a very cool thing. Although

#80 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 02:56 PM

The nano is replacing the mini.

But this is a ton smaller and has a colour display. And it's the same price that they introduced the original iPod mini's for.

I'm hoping to get one when my student loan comes through.

#81 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 03:01 PM

Ah yes, I see you're right. It is quite lovely, but I wish they'd make these photo pods play movie files. My colour 40gig is next to useless when it comes to its photo ability- I don't really need it. I'm not sure if viewing photos on a 1 and a half inch screen will be worth it.

Much nicer than the mini, though.

#82 Mina Galore

Mina Galore

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:21 AM

The nano is gorgeous. But I couldn't have waited a whole year to get it instead of the mini I currently have. Unfortunately for me, I have to get my iPod mini replaced for a second time due to battery failure. And at the beginning of this year it was replaced because the click wheel broke. I'm starting to lose my patience with the product. Most people I know with them have had to send them in. It's becoming ridiculous for the cost of them and the fact it's Apple I expected much higher quality and higher quality services.

#83 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:51 AM

The nano is gorgeous. But I couldn't have waited a whole year to get it instead of the mini I currently have. Unfortunately for me, I have to get my iPod mini replaced for a second time due to battery failure. And at the beginning of this year it was replaced because the click wheel broke. I'm starting to lose my patience with the product. Most people I know with them have had to send them in. It's becoming ridiculous for the cost of them and the fact it's Apple I expected much higher quality and higher quality services.

View Post

Guess I've been lucky with my iPod's.

#84 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:54 AM

In fact most people I know who have bought any kind of apple product have had problems and had to send it back; usually with a lot of problems actually getting any action on getting it fixed.
My iPod is slightly faulty (you can't turn it off after ejecting it from a computer) and has an appalling battery life, plus updating iTunes always puts the fear into me- too many others I know have had their pods wiped in various ways. I won't send it back as I don't trust their aftersales system. Plus, who designs something you put in your pocket in shiny metal and white perspex aka the two most scratchable materials known to man?

#85 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:34 PM

I've had two iPods in the last 2 years. The first worked perfectly fine, but was just too old and scratched. The battery wasn't lasting very long and the storage was insufficient. Unfortunately, I can't copy the songs from the old iPod to the new. Have to recop my CDs to put on iTunes. :)

#86 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:35 PM

I've had two iPods in the last 2 years.  The first worked perfectly fine, but was just too old and scratched.  The battery wasn't lasting very long and the storage was insufficient.  Unfortunately, I can't copy the songs from the old iPod to the new.  Have to recop my CDs to put on iTunes.  :)

View Post

You should be able to download various bits of software which can do this- try ipodlounge.com and lok for downloads. I have done it myself.

#87 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:14 PM

[quote name='marktmurphy' date='14 September 2005 - 22:35'][quote name='Johnboy007' date='14 September 2005 - 19:34']I've had two iPods in the last 2 years.

#88 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:23 PM

Yeah, I still have a 1st gen and I still prefer the scroll wheel!

#89 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:40 AM

[quote name='marktmurphy' date='14 September 2005 - 16:35'][quote name='Johnboy007' date='14 September 2005 - 19:34']I've had two iPods in the last 2 years.

#90 Mina Galore

Mina Galore

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:39 AM

I've had two iPods in the last 2 years.  The first worked perfectly fine, but was just too old and scratched.  The battery wasn't lasting very long and the storage was insufficient.  Unfortunately, I can't copy the songs from the old iPod to the new.  Have to recop my CDs to put on iTunes.  :)

View Post

The 1st Gen iPods were produced well, it's the newer genernations with the mass production that has seriously damaged the company's reputation with keeping up with Apple quality. I personally have an eMac and it's been perfect for the last 3 years I've had it, no freezing, viruses etc. I expected more from their other products.