[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:52 AM

Safari 5 available HERE.

Wow, thanks! Love the reader feature.

The reader feature's pretty nice, but not enough to make me fall out of love with Google's excellent Chrome.

#512 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:49 AM

My first foray into the magical kingdom of Apple was fun: I was online at 5:30 EST to beat the crowd for pre-ordering the iPhone 4, but the heavy volume was already causing havoc at the Apple store and ATT.com. Nothing worked right when I tried from work a few times, and afterwards it would still let me enter most information before committing suicide.

I switched back to the ATT site and when I hit a snag did a chat with one of their helpers who figured out the problem was trying to transfer my phone from Sprint. It seems their verification system for that activity was over-burdened and over at Apple they didn't send a reasonable message, just quit. She told me to just take a new phone number, then transfer mine once the phone arrives next week.

I am looking forward to getting this new phone already!

#513 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:56 PM

Welcome to Apple & the world of iTunes, D07. I wasn't as lucky with my order. Got stuck in the black hole of the "we are experiencing technical difficulties" screen when AT&T was trying to confirm my account. When I tried again late Tuesday night, I got a ship date of July 2nd for my phone.

They are reporting that 600,000 phones were ordered yesterday even with all the issues. Demand was 10 times higher than it was for the 3GS. Looks like a record for one day sales & just generally annoying customers. B)

#514 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:06 AM

My first foray into the magical kingdom of Apple was fun: I was online at 5:30 EST to beat the crowd for pre-ordering the iPhone 4, but the heavy volume was already causing havoc at the Apple store and ATT.com. Nothing worked right when I tried from work a few times, and afterwards it would still let me enter most information before committing suicide.

I switched back to the ATT site and when I hit a snag did a chat with one of their helpers who figured out the problem was trying to transfer my phone from Sprint. It seems their verification system for that activity was over-burdened and over at Apple they didn't send a reasonable message, just quit. She told me to just take a new phone number, then transfer mine once the phone arrives next week.

I am looking forward to getting this new phone already!

After flirting with Apple products for almost 10 years, I finally dropped my pants, closed my eyes, and jumped into bed with them. That was less than a month ago. It's an IPOD Touch 64. It's by far one of the best toys I´ve ever owned.

With your post I can deduct you use windows. Let me recommend a fabulous program to rip CD's into Apple Lossless. As I type this, I ´m cranking Dark Side of The Moon on my IPOD's JBL's. The sound is just fantastic. The diff from hearing the CD itself is, IMHO, indistinguishable with this format.

DB PowerAmp Music Converter

#515 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:43 PM

Thanks for the advice, Bondrules. You are correct I use Windows for my PC, never again Windows for my mobile, and non-OS-specific toys for other needs (listening to Mr Jimmy Buffett on my excellent Creative Zen 16Gb mp3 player right now). I have spent a few evenings this week getting my music into itunes, it will take many more evenings to get all of it in the shape I want, but all my Bond tunes and Buffett are there so far. How can itunes not have an album cover for AC/DC Back in Black? That only sold a couple hundred million copies!

I spent 45 minutes this morning talking to 3 different ATT services reps in 3 different departments until we tracked down my order and they flipped whatever was keeping it from being processed. So far I am not a big fan, but I know from Professor Dent and others that the iphone itself is worth all the hassle.

The Professor and I shared a suite in Vegas 2 years ago (thank you Bryce 003!) and his iphone with no real keyboard was faster at everything we were doing than my currently state of the art Sprint Mogul with a real keyboard. I started watching Apple more closely at that time, and when I saw what the iphone 4 could do I knew I was going to make the jump. I am assured that the phone will be on my doorstep by 1 week from now, and we'll see how the conversion of a Windows man goes from there. B)

#516 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:08 AM

Thanks for the advice, Bondrules. You are correct I use Windows for my PC, never again Windows for my mobile, and non-OS-specific toys for other needs (listening to Mr Jimmy Buffett on my excellent Creative Zen 16Gb mp3 player right now). I have spent a few evenings this week getting my music into itunes, it will take many more evenings to get all of it in the shape I want, but all my Bond tunes and Buffett are there so far. How can itunes not have an album cover for AC/DC Back in Black? That only sold a couple hundred million copies!

I spent 45 minutes this morning talking to 3 different ATT services reps in 3 different departments until we tracked down my order and they flipped whatever was keeping it from being processed. So far I am not a big fan, but I know from Professor Dent and others that the iphone itself is worth all the hassle.

The Professor and I shared a suite in Vegas 2 years ago (thank you Bryce 003!) and his iphone with no real keyboard was faster at everything we were doing than my currently state of the art Sprint Mogul with a real keyboard. I started watching Apple more closely at that time, and when I saw what the iphone 4 could do I knew I was going to make the jump. I am assured that the phone will be on my doorstep by 1 week from now, and we'll see how the conversion of a Windows man goes from there. B)

Cheeseburger in paradise eh? Buffett is awesome.
If you're going to add video (movies) to your Iphone, I recommend (for windows) WinX DVD Ripper Platinum. It makes perfect (and ULTRA FAST) rips to view on your Iphone. I have ripped 10 movies into my Touch64, and I can tell you it's not uncomfortable at all to watch video on that screen. I can imagine the new retina display on your new Iphone4. You're gonna hit it out of the park!

#517 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:29 PM

How can itunes not have an album cover for AC/DC Back in Black? That only sold a couple hundred million copies!

AC/DC are one of the few holdouts in the digital music area. Their stuff isn't available legally anywhere so that's why the album art is missing.

#518 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

I'm rocking IOS4. My Touch feels much smoother now.
"Folders" and the orientation lock are truly worth the download.
Like option to see music album artwork (and description) show up on the same screen alongside individual tracks.
Nice to be able to change home screen wallpaper.

#519 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:44 PM

I'm running IOS4 on a 3G. I've heard this screws compatibility with most of the established docks with clocks such as the Sony ICF-C1iP MkII. Anyone know of proven combinations?

#520 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:37 AM

On Friday evening, I had a decidedly non-Bond experience. I somehow neglected to zipper the compartment for my 6 year old PowerBook 12" in my bag, so that as I was getting up at my stop, my trusty and reliable machine fell about 1.2 metres, landing flat on the train floor. Unfortunately, as the say, it's not the fall but the sudden stop, and the sudden stop in this case was more than the 6 year old inverter or cathode tube backlight could withstand. The backlight is inoperative. I researched it and the task of swapping it out is an ordeal in a half (the screen is the last part to be removed after E V E R Y T H I N G else has been removed. I'd estimate it would take me at least 4 hours, if it went well. The part is approximately $200 US.

Alternately, I could have the repair done for $300 to $400.

After mulling it over, I decided to use a discount I have with Apple's online store and a couple of Apple gift cards to drop the price of a refurbished 13" MacBook Pro to $1018 plus the inevitable sales tax. Near as I can tell, it's the same as the 2.4GHz current model.

I'm converting my PowerBook to something of a desktop. I have it connected to a USB keyboard and mouse, as well as an old Sony CRT display. It's working well enough and I will probably convert it to act as something of a server once its successor arrives.

#521 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:52 AM

This is my first post via my brand new iPod touch! :D

#522 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

Apple sent me an update at 04:59 EDT this morning that my MacBook Pro is on the way. Surprisingly, UPS is forecasting delivery today. I am so happy that I picked the Free shipping instead of paying extra for overnight shipping.

Which model/capacity did you pick?

#523 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

Apple sent me an update at 04:59 EDT this morning that my MacBook Pro is on the way. Surprisingly, UPS is forecasting delivery today. I am so happy that I picked the Free shipping instead of paying extra for overnight shipping.

Which model/capacity did you pick?

64 GB. :)

#524 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:08 AM

There's a big Apple event that's going to happen on Wednesday. According to MacRumors.com, "Apple has been rumored to be releasing new iPods, TV rental service, new Apple TV, iLife and more at the event. The event kicks off at 10am Pacific on September 1st."

I can't wait because I suspect their will be big news regarding iTunes, however, I hope there's not a new iPod touch because I just got one...

#525 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

There's a big Apple event that's going to happen on Wednesday. According to MacRumors.com, "Apple has been rumored to be releasing new iPods, TV rental service, new Apple TV, iLife and more at the event. The event kicks off at 10am Pacific on September 1st."

I can't wait because I suspect their will be big news regarding iTunes, however, I hope there's not a new iPod touch because I just got one...

While I do empathize, I am hopeful that a rumor from late last year comes true because Apple has had 64GB flash modules available from their primary supplier since last December; but none of those have wound up in any Apple products this year. The two previous years, Apple upgraded/updated the iPod Touch on 9 September, so I can't imagine that they would have two update events that close together and whatever update for the iPod Touch that is happening this year will most likely be announced on Wednesday.

I would love to see the iPad and iPod Touch have their maximum capacity bumped to 128GB and have the iPhone maximum capacity bumped to 64GB (there is a precedent for that as the 4GB original iPhone was discontinued and its price was then applied to the 8GB in September of the year the iPhone debuted).

If the hoped-for across the board increase doesn't happen, then I will likely hold off until next Summer to replace my SE mobile with an iPhone. :(

#526 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:08 PM

It seems my willingness to wait finally failed me, and a brand new 32GB iPhone 4 has found a home with me. :)

#527 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:14 PM

Apple just announced a "Back to the Mac" event for October 20th, which will include the announcement of Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion"!!!

#528 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:01 PM

Apple just announced a "Back to the Mac" event for October 20th, which will include the announcement of Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion"!!!

I hope Lion doesn't ship soon. I'm scheduled to take the Server Essentials course for 10.6 in late December.

#529 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:01 PM

I hope Lion doesn't ship soon. I'm scheduled to take the Server Essentials course for 10.6 in late December.

I'm no Apple expert but here's my analysis of the situation:

Leopard was released in 2007, 3 years ago. Snow Leopard came out last year but it was mostly under the hood changes so therefore a significant upgrade hasn't occurred in 3 years, which means it's about damn time for another version.

Scenario #1: They will make an announcement about refreshing their MacBook models with a late-2010 release, which will be shipped with 10.7 already installed.

Scenario #2: They will make both announcements this year but wait until early next year to release both although they've never ever released a new version of OS X before April...

#530 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:02 AM

I realize all the buzz this year has been in the mobile space with the iOS devices but it's about time the Mac gets some love. iLife is in need of a refresh & we will likely see the MacBook Pro line refreshed too. The MacBook Air is rumoured to be getting a makeover with a smaller screen & price tag. For OS X 10.7, my prediction is a summer 2011 release. With that being said, let the Verizon iPhone banter begin. ;)

#531 Arbogast777

Arbogast777

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:26 AM

Any thoughts on "Back to Mac" today?

Personally, I'm honestly not excited about MacBook Air - for $999 I'd rather have a MacBook with a slightly larger screen and a much larger Hard drive for my iTunes files (which wouldn't even fit on the Air). The 13in screen would be nicer than the 11in as well. The only advantage the Air has really is weight and I guess I can handle that extra pound ;)

I am VERY excited about iOS basically being ported over to Mac, though. I just can't believe they announced all this 9 months in advance.

As an ardent Mac user I still don't see a need for an iPad in my life, though (having owned, then sold, one). I would much rather have a light and easy to carry laptop that I don't have to hold. As Jobs said himself in the webcast, a touch interface works good on a flat surface so your "arm won't fall off."

I'm also looking forward to possibly Facetiming any CBners!!! Anyone interested send me a PM!

#532 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:27 PM

The Mac App Store will be launched on January 6th. I'm excited! :)

#533 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:17 PM

I am really starting to hate my iphone, it takes forever to copy purchases from the phone to my computer!! :(

Expensive piece of crap!! I hate it!!

#534 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:29 PM

I am really starting to hate my iphone, it takes forever to copy purchases from the phone to my computer!! :(

Expensive piece of crap!! I hate it!!

Are you sure it's not your computer that's the issue? I'm assuming you have a Windows PC and those are pieces of crap.

#535 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:35 PM

Are you sure it's not your computer that's the issue? I'm assuming you have a Windows PC and those are pieces of crap.

Yes it is a windows PC, I don't really understand anything about computers and the nonsencial jargon that goes with it all! That really does my head in!

#536 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:24 AM

Yes it is a windows PC, I don't really understand anything about computers and the nonsencial jargon that goes with it all! That really does my head in!

For reasons that make no sense to me, Windows PCs are often fit with USB ports that are supposed to be 2.0 spec but often refuse to work as anything other than 1.1 ports. Usually, it's not all of the ports, so you can try to work around it; but it's a pain when it happens.

#537 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:32 AM

The Mac App Store will be launched on January 6th. I'm excited! :)

Forgive me if this has been addressed in the foregoing 18 pages upon which I have yet to catch up.

Is anyone here reading Ian Fleming's James Bond books on the Mac, via Kindle App?

I have who-knows-how-many copies of each around here, marked up-the-wazzoo. So, really nice to have a way to make notes, quickly reference passages, and have the ability to turn all that off to the background when I just wanna read.

#538 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:00 PM

iPhone 4. Verizon. February 10.

#539 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:18 AM

iPhone 4. Verizon. February 10.

It will be interesting to see a like-like comparison of the two versions. Today's event has already highlighted one point, that CDMA still can not handle simultaneous voice and data. :)

#540 Monkeyfoahead

Monkeyfoahead

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Location:A hollowed-out volcano, a submarine, and a moon base.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:48 AM

I was very disappointed that Verizon got the iPhone. I only switched to ATT because they had the iPhone, and I went through 4 enV Touches. I'm now regretting the awesome coverage and customer service that I recieved with Verizon....