183 replies to this topic

#1 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:30 PM

Just checked in this morning and found some new Indiana Jones news that I thought I'd share with you all.

First, somew news on the Young Indiana Jones DVDs...
According to ComingSoon.net, "He [George Lucas] confirmed they are working on bringing the early 90's TV series The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles to DVD as well."

And from StarWars.com Asked about the possibility of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles on DVD, Lucas joked at the perfect lead-in question, "Is this a set-up?" He added, "We are working very hard on completing the entire series with about 100 documentaries to do along with it, based on the main historical characters found in the series."

And for better or for worse, it has been said that Spielberg plans on making Indy IV after his next film and the Geroge Lucas has another script of the film in his posession.....

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:31 PM

Really looking forward to the Young Indy DVDs.

Not going to hold my breath for Indy IV. Been burned too many times.

#3 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:32 PM

And for better or for worse, it has been said that Spielberg plans on making Indy IV after his next film and the Geroge Lucas has another script of the film in his posession.....

View Post

**** or get off the pot, Steven! He's been gassing about INDY IV for many, many, many years now, without the thing ever actually ending up getting made (see also Stallone on RAMBO IV and ROCKY VI). :)

#4 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:35 PM

View Post

**** or get off the pot, Steven! He's been gassing about INDY IV for many, many, many years now, without the thing ever actually ending up getting made (see also Stallone on RAMBO IV and ROCKY VI). :)

View Post

Benedict XVI seems a more likely bet.

Oh, how I've ached to tell that "joke". Perhaps I should have continued to ache.

#5 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:38 PM

He's been gassing about INDY IV for many, many, many years now, without the thing ever actually ending up getting made (see also Stallone on RAMBO IV and ROCKY VI). :)

View Post

I think it's a little different- Spielberg could actually get it made if he wanted to- Stallone has a little more trouble these days.

#6 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:42 PM

He's been gassing about INDY IV for many, many, many years now, without the thing ever actually ending up getting made (see also Stallone on RAMBO IV and ROCKY VI). :)

View Post

I think it's a little different- Spielberg could actually get it made if he wanted to- Stallone has a little more trouble these days.

View Post

Yeah, true, although I do suspect that if Stallone really put his mind to it he could make RAMBO IV and ROCKY VI happen. ROCKY VI would appear a relatively inexpensive film, and RAMBO IV need not be a $200 million epic (I mean, GET CARTER, with a few tweaks, could have been RAMBO IV). I hope he's not holding out until someone agrees to pay him $40 million to once again play Rocky Balboa or John Rambo.

Anyway, to start a Geek War here: the best of the Indiana Jones films is INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM.

#7 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:52 PM

I'm with Zencat on this issue... I'd like to see Indy IV, but I'm not holding my breath. Even if it does get made there's always the possibility It'll be another Phantom Menace (aka garbage). I hate to say that, but my opinions on Lucas and Spielberg have greatly declined over the past five years.

As for best Indy film... that would be Raiders of the Lost Ark, the one that started it all. I'd give 2nd place to Temple of Doom.

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 05:24 PM

On the last page of the "Upcoming DVD Art" page of www.thedigitalbits.com is the planned cover art for the Young Indiana Jones DVD

#9 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:03 PM

Two words why Temple of Doom will not be the classic Indy movie: Willie Scott. And Short Round doesn't exactly help things, either.

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:13 PM

Not going to hold my breath for Indy IV. Been burned too many times.

View Post

I'd really like to see it happen, but... :)

#11 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:28 PM

And Short Round doesn't exactly help things, either.

View Post

[mra]Come on. Short round was great. The only reason I could stand Willie at all was because we had Short Round yelling

#12 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 11:14 PM

Does anyone actually like the Young Indy series? I can't imagine it'd be a big seller.

#13 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:12 AM

View Post

View Post

Anyway, to start a Geek War here: the best of the Indiana Jones films is INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM.

View Post

I agree with you, Loomis. It's dark, and fun.

I really hope they make an Indy IV, for no other reason than I haven't seen Indy on the big screen. I want a new Indy more than a Star Wars 7,8,9 (I mean really, all the cool people like Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine are dead!)

#14 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:26 AM

I'm not hoding my breath either for Indiana Jones IV.

I don't know why Lucas objected to the Frank Darabont script that caused him to rewrite it and delay production for a year or two.

Unfortunately, Lucas and Spielberg have just waited to long. How credible of an action hero will Indiana Jones be portrayed by a sixty-four year old Harrison Ford?

And then Sean Connery will be at least seventy-six.

Then the question is will Indy be battling Nazis in this installment or Soviet Communists. Indiana Jones and the Red Menace?

#15 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:36 AM

Harrison Ford is older than dirt and his career as a big box office draw is pretty much over.Indy 4? No thanks. :)

#16 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:32 AM

I actually like the 'Young Indiana Jones Chronicles'.

I agree with Tarl, Harrison's way too old to make Indiana Jones IV.

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:35 AM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' date='25 April 2005 - 16:28'][quote name='Turn' date='25 April 2005 - 14:03']And Short Round doesn't exactly help things, either.

View Post

[/quote]

[mra]Come on. Short round was great. The only reason I could stand Willie at all was because we had Short Round yelling

#18 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:48 AM

You know, I was watching a movie recently called Twilight. Great film. Paul Newman playing a PI. Paul was really good as always. Don't give me that :) about age, folks. Indy 4 can still be done and done well.

#19 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:58 AM

You know, I was watching a movie recently called Twilight.  Great film.  Paul Newman playing a PI.  Paul was really good as always.  Don't give me that :) about age, folks.  Indy 4 can still be done and done well.

View Post

Hey, please don't get me wrong my friend. I'd love Harrison to do it. But with the fuffing around, and the physical demand to the part, the last thing I want to see is an obvious ( notreallyHarrisonFord ) stunt man Indi film.

#20 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:09 AM

He worked fine with the action in Six Days, Seven Nights, where he was somewhat older than when doing the Indy films. But then again, that was like seven years ago.

#21 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:16 PM

I'd love to see another Indie... but it's been on the cards for quiet some time now... and Ford isn't getting any younger.

#22 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:29 PM

I like the Young Indy series and will buy it the day it is released (although I do admit, I'm not a fan of the 6 year old Indy stories with Corey Carrier in them).

And I think Indy would have to be going against the communists. WWII ended in 1945 and Harrison Ford has aged enough where it would be unreasonable for him to still be tangling with the Nazis.

Yeah, Ford isn't getting any younger, but I would like to still beleive that the movie could work as long as it has a good script. I really don't understand everybody's obsession with people being too old... be it Harrison Ford, Pierce Brosnan, Sean Connery or whoever else you'd like to ad to the list. If the actor has a desire to do the role and the screenplay isn't written by someone who shouldn't be writing it (George Lucas, P&W) then I think the motion picture could be quite an entertaining one.

#23 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:08 AM

One of his next movies is a sci-fi actioner, I think.

#24 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:40 AM

If the actor has a desire to do the role and the screenplay isn't written by someone who shouldn't be writing it (George Lucas, P&W)

View Post

LOL!

#25 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:15 AM

He worked fine with the action in Six Days, Seven Nights, where he was somewhat older than when doing the Indy films. But then again, that was like seven years ago.

View Post

I agree, and he looked pretty darn good. :)

Harrison will be 64 IF the films released next year. :)

#26 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:49 AM

View Post

I agree, and he looked pretty darn good. :)

Harrison will be 64 IF the films released next year. :)

View Post

I guess that's still younger than Roger Moore looked in AVTAK :)

#27 Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:27 PM

Raiders was the best :)

Last Crusade is second best, sad but true foks. :)

Having only seen one episode of the young Indy chronicles..the Marta Hari one. I'll be looking forward to seeing them, it's gotta be better than the Highlander series. lol.

But for the aspect for Indiana Jones 4? I'd like to believe in my heart of hearts that it can be done, but my reasonable side says it's time to move on and just let it rest as a very remarkable and memorable trilogy. I dont see it happening no matter how much I'd like it to, it's a bitter pill to swallow.

And for god's sake please be joking about Rocky VI. Slyvester is almost sixty anyhow and I couldn't take another Rocky movie after the sorry and sloppy fifth outing. And if Rambo 4 were to be made how could he possibly do it? He doesn't have the muscluar strength for it anymore. Stallone was good at a time, but after Spy Kids 3-d? I think he's lost all intregrity.

#28 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:42 PM

View Post

I find LAST CRUSADE a dull rehash of RAIDERS, which totally wastes Connery (and makes him look stupid). Surely the whole idea was that James Bond would be the father of Indiana Jones? They should therefore have had the sexy, womanising Connery of NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN (cleanshaven and wearing a wig), not Connery as a scruffy and amiable old buffer who's more than a bit of a klutz. The way the role of Jones, Sr. was written, it could have been played by Richard Attenborough. You'd believe Alison Doody's character would sleep with the Connery of NSNA, whereas it's hard to buy the idea that she'd be attracted to this version of Connery.

The only imaginative and interesting bits in LAST CRUSADE are the opening sequence with River Phoenix, and the Hitler gag. The rest of the film is Stupidsville, and really terribly boring. The climax doesn't work at all, with the Grail Knight just looking silly.

A major disappointment that could and should have been the best film of the series.

#29 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 02:34 PM

View Post

I find LAST CRUSADE a dull rehash of RAIDERS, which totally wastes Connery (and makes him look stupid). Surely the whole idea was that James Bond would be the father of Indiana Jones? They should therefore have had the sexy, womanising Connery of NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN (cleanshaven and wearing a wig), not Connery as a scruffy and amiable old buffer who's more than a bit of a klutz. The way the role of Jones, Sr. was written, it could have been played by Richard Attenborough. You'd believe Alison Doody's character would sleep with the Connery of NSNA, whereas it's hard to buy the idea that she'd be attracted to this version of Connery.

The only imaginative and interesting bits in LAST CRUSADE are the opening sequence with River Phoenix, and the Hitler gag. The rest of the film is Stupidsville, and really terribly boring. The climax doesn't work at all, with the Grail Knight just looking silly.

A major disappointment that could and should have been the best film of the series.

View Post

I agree with almost all of that but I hated the River Pheonix intro(a Spielbergi kiddie fettish ruins yet another film).Is it just me being an evil bastard or are kids just not cute unless they are from your immediate family? I also hate that they made a "dull rehash of Raiders" as "an apology for the second one". :)

Yeah, Connery played a clumsy, smelly old man...not the suave, aging fine wine grey haired stud of NSNA. :) And what bugs me is Raiders clearly established that Marion's father was Indy's mentor so why do we find out Indy's dad is not only alive and kicking but he's a world class Archeologist/historian too? I hate when writers break the rules/mythos of the creative universe they establish. :)

#30 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:57 PM

View Post

View Post

I agree with almost all of that but I hated the River Pheonix intro(a Spielbergi kiddie fettish ruins yet another film).Is it just me being an evil bastard or are kids just not cute unless they are from your immediate family? I also hate that they made a "dull rehash of Raiders" as "an apology for the second one". :)

Yeah, Connery played a clumsy, smelly old man...not the suave, aging fine wine grey haired stud of NSNA. :) And what bugs me is Raiders clearly established that Marion's father was Indy's mentor so why do we find out Indy's dad is not only alive and kicking but he's a world class Archeologist/historian too? I hate when writers break the rules/mythos of the creative universe they establish. :)

View Post

It's also hard to buy the relationship between Indy and his father. The film doesn't provide a good explanation for why they haven't talked in many years. After all, both are world class archaeology geeks - why didn't they get on like a house on fire? "You left just as you were becoming interesting," Jones, Sr. tells his son. But hold on: why wouldn't Jones, Sr. have found the Phoenix-era Indy "interesting"? Okay, it's been a while since I last saw LAST CRUSADE, and I suppose it's all tied together somehow, but the Indy/Jones, Sr. relationship just seems contrived and poorly-written.

If the movie had had "the suave, aging fine wine grey haired stud of NSNA", they could have had a little reference in the script to, say, Jones, Sr. having an affair way back when and thus breaking up the family, and Indy carrying a lot of hatred for his father for years for that reason. Would have made Jones, Sr. a rather less sympathetic character, of course (but do we really want to see Connery as a whiter-than-white character? Isn't he a lot better as the dangerous alpha male who can't help himself when it comes to beautiful women?), and would have brought a little more darkness to the film, but I think it would have been a lot more convincing.

And that's a big problem with THE LAST CRUSADE: it's too much of an overreaction to the perceived darkness and horror of TEMPLE OF DOOM. Like quite a few Spielberg films, it's just too sugary.