10 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 12:21 AM

I'm not one to normally post such things, but this isn't a hoax. And I know that at least one person who uses CommanderBond.Net is infected with the virus.

Now, unlike other viruses that are common today, this virus can apparently (according to McAffe) infect users who aren't using Outlook as well as those who are. It does this through their internet browser.

What the virus can do is send itself to other people and of course damage files on your computer. I'm not sure of its exact modus operandi (sp??) but yeah, who wants a virus. There are more details here.

How do I know that someone at CBn has it? Well I've checked my comptuer and I can't find it on mine. However, Tim has received and e-mail from me containing an e-mail and Blofelds Cat received one from Mister Asterix (who rarely uses Outlook anyway).

But this virus can Spoof e-mails. For instance. If Dave has the virus and in his address book he has the names of me and Tim then... his computer can send the virus to Tim but use my name.

So what to do?

Well firstly if you don't have an AV tool get one. Does anyone know of a free one or a demo?

Search for the virus with this tool from Norton.

Update your Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office suite, Microsoft Outlook. You can get details on how to do that from http://www.microsoft.com

If anyone has any more details on the virus or any other major threats please reply to this thread.

#2 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 May 2002 - 04:45 AM

Ahh, once again a seemingly innocent topic in the General Discussion board takes an erotic turn.

#3 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 04:24 AM

davidfries (08 May, 2002 05:45 a.m.):
Ahh, once again a seemingly innocent topic in the General Discussion board takes an erotic turn.

But surely this is what Bond discussion is all about? ;d

#4 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 05:16 AM

I appreciate the alert. I actually ran into this virus some time ago and sent out a similar email message to anyone I knew. Sneaky little thing. It can use the name of a trusted, respected friend of yours, and you wouldn't even know it. You would simply open the email and its file without so much as a blink of the eye.

It disturbs me to think of the creators of the virus out there deriving entertainment out of this.

#5 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 08:35 AM

Anyway, I got - again - such an e-mail today. This time it came from PaulZ108 and it contained the same *.eml-attachement as Dan's mail some days ago...

So what's going on...?

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 09:29 AM

Well Tim that means that someone on your MSN list has it (I'm guessing it's MSN list anyway).

So who's from CBn is on it?

#7 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 08:37 AM

Hopefully no one has had one from me - but let me know if my email is in any of the emails.

Be sure though before you run the scan, that you have updated your virus list so that your AV program can track it!

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 08:25 AM

I've been following the little virus patterns. I'm dead cert that I don't have it. I've run two virus scanning programs, the additional tool.

Following it I've figured out that the virus is reading someones MSN list, or someone who has my hotmail address (few of you do I'm sure).

It's got to be someone with James Page, Mister Asterix, Walther, Blofelds Cat and Blue Eyes on their list. So there you have it.

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 07 May 2002 - 07:37 AM

It works Daniel! My system has been cleared.

I received a strange e-mail from Mr* a couple of days ago, but my AV programme, VET, didn't detect any virus. :)

As my company has an account with VET (by Computer Associates), I immediately reported the problem to corporate HO in Sydney. They are now in the process of applying for a account with another AV software company.

#10 Jules

Jules

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 May 2002 - 03:32 AM

My computer has been ****ping out on me a lot lately...would that have anything to do with it? Maybe it's just AOL being extremelly evil yet again...who knows..

#11 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 08 May 2002 - 04:30 AM

Dave (07 May, 2002 09:37 a.m.):
Hopefully no one has had one from me - but let me know if my email is in any of the emails.

I'm sure no one will get infected from you as you would surely have proper protection.:)