This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Title Song Performers of the Brosnan Era

112 replies to this topic

Poll: Which artist/song is your favourite in the Brosnan era?

Which artist/song is your favourite in the Brosnan era?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:14 AM

TWINE always struck me as the most Barry like tune. TND took a little time to grow on me. DAD was rescued by the string arrangement. GE, however, always was IMO a weak entry. The "Ta-Daa" of the rather synthetic sounding horns seems like trying to get a little "Goldfinger" into "Goldeneye" - and does not work for me. Turner´s voice is fine but the song is a song in search of a melody.

#92 kyleargyle

kyleargyle

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:59 PM

Re-watched TWINE the other night...really like the song. Very Bondian, and Shirley's got a great voice. Much better than that horrible, horrible Madonna trainwreck.

#93 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:26 PM

Sheryl Crow / Tomorrow Never Dies

#94 Ultraussie (Jordan.adams)

Ultraussie (Jordan.adams)

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:43 AM

You forgot Mya from the EON game. And I still kinda count the EON game as a film.
Its so damn short and easy it can be played like a film: Popcorn in hand and controller/remote in the other!

#95 Quincy

Quincy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:48 PM

One good thing I can say about the Brosnan films is that they all had good title songs. Yes, DAD was fine, just had a real crappy Title sequence.

#96 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:16 AM

I may be the only one to think so, but I really like the Sheryl Crow title song. It's not perfect, but I really like it a lot more than I do with the other ones. Sure, GoldenEye is great, and TWINE and DAD are, for me, just boring. But, I really think that Sheryl Crow did a fine job with the song.

#97 singleentendre

singleentendre

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

I loved Die Another Day's title sequence as well as the song. It's pretty catchy if you get over the fact that it's Madonna. I think the issue for a lot of Bond fans lies in the fact that Bond and Madonna seem incompatible. I say that Madonna's electro-trash and Die Another Day's cheeseball plot compliment each other. And in a good way. Everything in that movie is like junk food. It's not fine dining at all but if you let go you can enjoy it.

#98 Attempting Re-entry

Attempting Re-entry

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

Goldeneye theme tune is the best Brosnan theme, for me. But that's not really saying much.

#99 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:19 AM

Tina Turner, by a mile

#100 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:58 AM

I like both songs for Tomorrow Never Dies. I’ve been thinking about which song they should’ve used for the title sequence.

The bombastic “Surrender” would’ve flowed on excellently given the upbeat nature of the pre title sequence finale. And it does suit the film’s overall tone better, not to mention it being integrated into the score. Though the dark and mysterious ending of “Tomorrow Never Dies” segues in perfectly to the sea drill incident.

“Surrender” has too much going for it, and I think it should’ve been used. In any case, it's a great way to end a Bond film.

#101 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:28 AM

1. "Tomorrow Never Dies" by Sheryl Crow - Great (Surrender is better though)
2. "The World is Not Enough" by Garbage - Great
3. GoldenEye" by Tina Turner - Good
4. "Die Another Day" by Madonna - Bad

I also would like to mention I enjoyed Eric Serra's score. It's very unique to the film. Your not going to get any of the tracks confused w/ any other film's like you would with half of the Bond film's scores. It's very unique to the film like TMWTGG and YOLT.

Some of my other favorites are: FRWL, TSWLM, and LALD. The worse Title songs are from MR-LTK..uhh, that 80's cheese.

#102 J B

J B

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:06 AM

Without a doubt, I prefer Tina Turner's GoldenEye song. With the exception of The World is Not Enough, the rest didn't do it as well for me. The worst is Die Another Day's Madonna song.

#103 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:15 AM

I'm a fan of TND, if only because it takes me back.

#104 billy007

billy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:50 PM

TWINE is my 2nd favorite movie(Goldfinger will always be 1st)
I saw Garbage perform live at the University of Delaware Field House (small venue) about a month before movie's premiere.
Seing Shirley Manson up close and personal is one of the highlights of my JB 007 hobby.
She quitely signed autographs in a local bar after the performance.

#105 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:36 PM

I think Sheryl Crow's TND is the best TS of the era, but it's really a shame they didn't use "Surrender" as the title song in Tomorrow Never Dies. It's definitely the best "performance" song of the Brosnan era and in my opinion one of the top tier songs of the entire series.

I loved Die Another Day's title sequence as well as the song. It's pretty catchy if you get over the fact that it's Madonna. I think the issue for a lot of Bond fans lies in the fact that Bond and Madonna seem incompatible.

No, it's just a horrible song, plain and simple.

#106 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

I know I'm not going to make myself popular with my ranking, but here goes...

#1: A toss-up between GoldenEye and Surrender (Bono & The Edge with Tina Turner vs Don Black and k.d. lang - hmm...)
#2: Die Another Day (Gasp! It's...it's...different! Kill it! Kill it!) I like it better with the titles than as a stand-alone song.
#3: A toss-up between TWINE and TND ("The name's Bland - James Bland.")

There it is. Bring on the death threats.

BTW, in case you're not incensed enough, I always kinda liked TMWTGG and TLD too, so that tells you where I'm coming from....

Edited by AMC Hornet, 31 May 2011 - 09:19 PM.

#107 Tony_OO_Black

Tony_OO_Black

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

Tina Turner, by far.

KD Lang's 'Surrender' should have been TND's track. Garbage's TWINE effort is nasal & droning, while Madonna's DAD is an abomination.

#108 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

I had trouble deciding between Garbage and Tina Turner, I went with Tina Turner. That was a good theme song.

#109 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:35 AM

I voted Tina Tuner, I was always surprised that they choose Madonna just after she did a song for 'Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me' (1999).

#110 The Krynoid man

The Krynoid man

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

TWINE for me. It's the only one that I like. Sheryl Crow's song was ok, Madonna's didn't suit Bond at all and I can't stand Tina Turner in general.

#111 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

I voted GoldenEye, great performance from Tina, but..... the best song from the Brosnan Bondmovies is for me Surrender, the most Barry-like of the Brosnan songs.

#112 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

TWINE always struck me as the most Barry like tune. TND took a little time to grow on me. DAD was rescued by the string arrangement. GE, however, always was IMO a weak entry. The "Ta-Daa" of the rather synthetic sounding horns seems like trying to get a little "Goldfinger" into "Goldeneye" - and does not work for me. Turner´s voice is fine but the song is a song in search of a melody.

Only just discovered this thread so I haven't read anything else but I do want to say how much I agree with SecretAgentFan here. TWINE is the best of the four, and GE is weak. Tonally (and totally) monotonous. Anybody who says it sounds like John Barry needs his ears checked.

If I were to rank the songs.

1st. TWINE
a close 2nd. DAD

3. GE/TND

I used to like the TND song but it hasn't aged well. I think Crow's voice wrecks it. Needed a strong man's voice.

Never understood the hate DAD's title song (or the film itself) got. Catchy melody, excellent string orchestration. Excellent use of symphony orchestra and synthesizers. Good voice. A superb way to do a Bond song true to the series without hitting you over the head with trademarks or trying to emulate the John Barry sound.

#113 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

I like Die Another Day's song, I agree it's catchy and it has a good string orchestration and all.

But:

1. It doesn't sound like a Bond song at all.
2. It doesn't even remotely sound appropriate for the title sequence.