25 replies to this topic

#1 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:37 PM

I was 7 years old when Star Wars came out and a great era in popcorn franchise cinema began; these were films I loved who's characters would revisit cinemas again and again,but too often to dissapointing results. Here's a list of a few franchises that started in that era of late 70's-80's:

Star Wars
Alien
Superman(1st run)
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Star Trek
Conan the Barbarian
The Terminator
The Road Warrior
Rocky
Rambo
Batman(1st run)
Die Hard
Leathal Weapon
Predator

It seems like all these old school series are about to be extinct after Episode III runs it's course; sure they can redo Batman/Superman or Predator vs Alien but it aint the same...

Sly Stallone can't get a Rocky/Rambo film off the ground for even a $20M budget! Arnie is busy running Califoneya, Mad Max:Fury Road was unplugged and despite Mel's $400M Passion fruit he doesn't seem interested...Indy 4 is supposedly still in development hell :) ....

I really don't care to see most of these franchises reappear but I think it's interesting to see that an era in Hollywood is being rolled over to a new one...So, the 80's icons I grew up with: Sly, Arnie, Mel, Bruce, and Harrison have been replaced with Tobey Macguire, Matt Damon,Hugh jackman,and perhaps Christian Bale, and Jude Law...etc.

So, is it just me or do I feel old! :) :)

And do these new stars and franchises cut it? Your thoughts?

If I had to chose a couple ol'timers to return I'd like to see 'Conan the King','Fury Road'...and a proper 'Predator' film(with Silvestri's score!).

Btw, as usual, James Bond passes them all by again... :)

#2 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:56 PM

I'm pretty much the same generation (born in 1978) so I'm with you on this.

Are the new franchises as good as the ones from the late 70's/80's? For the most part I'd say no. Spider-Man is good but the emphasis on the angst is a bit overdone.

As for franchises I'd like to see get one last shot, I think another proper Predator film would be great as would another Alien movie done in the correct manner (keep the director of AvP as far away as humanly possible). The nostalgic in me wants to see another Die Hard and a fifth Lethal Weapon but I can honestly get by without them. Another Conan film might be neat though. Might be a little anachronistic since those kinds of films aren't made much anymore (But then that's part of the fun from where I stand).

#3 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:20 PM

I actually think some of the new franchises of this generation are much better than those on my 80's list:

Spiderman: His angst is part of the character acurately adapted...at least it's not all about special effects. The other marvel films are weak except for X-men, which are better than any Batman film, imho.

Bourne: drooling for 'Ultimatum'.

LOTR: Best trilogy since 'Samurai'.

One trend clearly in modern action heroes is angst, vulnerability...etc. The stoic macho grande hero is a thing of the past... :)

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:46 PM

I get the same feelings, Tarl. I remember how fresh and new some of those films felt at the time and then you'd be excited about the sequel, then by the third or fourth you get a little annoyed and wonder why they don't make em' like they used to.

Then they make something like Son of the Mask or Another Stakeout years after the first films and you wonder why in the world they bothered.

I'd most like to see another Indiana Jones or Road Warrior/Mad Max film.

#5 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:04 PM

I really prefer to see Indy stay retired...I would have been nice to see an Indy 4 in 1992 and and Indy 5 1995 during the Bond absentia years...Now I don't care. Harrison Ford is presumptous to think us older fans like me who grew up with this are gonna run to the cineplex to see his old #$$ cracking a whip again. :)

I don't want a movie where Spielberg/Ford/lucas can project their old age jokes, feelings/crisis/ frustrations with society's agism, attitudes...etc. I really hated that they took the coolest rogue character since James Bond and sanded off his edge by making him into a family man with the spielberg 'staple kid' and then his father(after clearly establishing in the first film that Indy's mentor was not his father)....they ruined Indiana Jones for me.

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:34 PM

Wasn't ROAD WARRIOR a sequel to MAD MAX.

#7 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:59 PM

View Post

Yes but it's vastly superior and really made Mel Gibson's Mad Max an action genre icon so it really kicked off the series... :)

#8 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:17 PM

I'm looking forward to Die Hard 4.0 .

:)

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:20 PM

Spider-Man is good but the emphasis on the angst is a bit overdone.

View Post

I'm hoping they kind of tone that down just a little bit for the third.

I wonder what the Star Wars series will be best remembered for or how it will be looked upon in 10 or 20 years.

#10 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:31 PM

View Post

Me too, Agent76!! I'm glad that Bruce Willis will be doing it, and I've also heard that Bonnie Bedilla plans to return as Holly. No word on who'll be McClane's daughter, but thank god Jessica Simpson failed the audition!! lol

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:45 PM

Spider-Man is good but the emphasis on the angst is a bit overdone.

View Post

I'm hoping they kind of tone that down just a little bit for the third.

I wonder what the Star Wars series will be best remembered for or how it will be looked upon in 10 or 20 years.

View Post

I suspect the prequels will be largely forgotten. Basically 20 years from now the youn ger audiencew will likely be unaware of the series. Think how many teenagers are really that aware of what was released in 1984 and 1985.

#12 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:52 PM

View Post

Me too, Agent76!! I'm glad that Bruce Willis will be doing it, and I've also heard that Bonnie Bedilla plans to return as Holly. No word on who'll be McClane's daughter, but thank god Jessica Simpson failed the audition!! lol

View Post

The first I've heard of it. When is it supposed to be released?

#13 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:56 PM

The script's being finished at the moment, Janus. Bruce Willis says that shooting is supposed to start this fall, so hopefully it'll be out early to the middle of next year.

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:08 PM

Originally supposed to be out this year, right?

#15 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:10 PM

What's it called? Die Hard 4.0:Die hardest again with a vengence unparalled. ?

#16 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:13 PM

I guess it was originally supposed to be out this year Qwerty, but since filming won't start until this fall, we can expect it to be out next year sometime. And its just called Die Hard 4.0, Tarl. "Something to with computers" is the only hint Willis will share, also that John McClane will be retired from the police force.

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:15 PM

What's it called? Die Hard 4.0:Die hardest again with a vengence unparalled. ?

View Post

I guess it was originally supposed to be out this year Qwerty, but since filming won't start until this fall, we can expect it to be out next year sometime. And its just called Die Hard 4.0, Tarl. "Something to with computers" is the only hint Willis will share, also that John McClane will be retired from the police force.

Thanks, Dove.

#18 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:11 PM

the last rumour I've heard about it, was that Britney Spears was in talks to play "John McClane's" daugther. :)

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:19 AM

the last rumour I've heard about it, was that Britney Spears was in talks to play "John McClane's" daugther.  :)

View Post

#20 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:52 AM

the last rumour I've heard about it, was that Britney Spears was in talks to play "John McClane's" daugther.  :)

View Post

I've also heard that rumor. Scary, scary, scary.

#21 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:24 AM

Going back to Star Wars, I gotta say I disagree with the view above. I think the kids that are growing up in a world where there have "always been" six Star Wars movies will see the story that way. I'll bet that if you ask kids in ten yeas or so if they've ever seen Star Wars, they'll say "Yeah, which one?" Thay'll actually refer to Star Wars as "A New Hope". Crazy...but I bet it will wind up happening.

#22 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:16 PM

[quote name='DLibrasnow' date='2 March 2005 - 23:52'][quote name='Agent76' date='2 March 2005 - 17:11']the last rumour I've heard about it, was that Britney Spears was in talks to play "John McClane's" daugther.

#23 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 01:46 PM

[quote name='Qwerty' date='3 March 2005 - 12:16'][quote name='DLibrasnow' date='2 March 2005 - 23:52'][quote name='Agent76' date='2 March 2005 - 17:11']the last rumour I've heard about it, was that Britney Spears was in talks to play "John McClane's" daugther.

#24 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:50 PM

We can only hope Agent 76.

#25 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:19 PM

[quote name='Agent76' date='3 March 2005 - 08:46'][quote name='Qwerty' date='3 March 2005 - 12:16'][quote name='DLibrasnow' date='2 March 2005 - 23:52'][quote name='Agent76' date='2 March 2005 - 17:11']the last rumour I've heard about it, was that Britney Spears was in talks to play "John McClane's" daugther.

#26 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 04 March 2005 - 03:31 AM

View Post

Yes, but only in the US. :)