#91 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:55 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/sherlock/

Lots of lovely new illustrated short stories to listen to and look at. Great site.

It'd even be good to see a Bond site like this- short stories by writers of Kim Newman and Paul Cornell's calibre would be top of the shop.

#92 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:57 PM

Thanks for the link....I'd like to see a site like CBN that is devoted to Sherlock Holmes - the closest we have come is a site that Bondian started that folded after a shiort time.

#93 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:42 PM

Another great Holmes and Watson pairing was John Gielgud and Ralph Richardson. They starred in about a dozen radio adaptations of the tales during the 1950s. There is a real warmth between the two. A highlight of the series is The Final Problem where Moriarty is played by none other than Orson Welles.

I have a couple of episodes on audiotape. They really do make a great team. I think this series was as good or better than the Rathbone/Bruce radio series.

View Post

I really like the Peter Cushing/Nigel Stock team from the 1968 BBC series. its a shame that only the three DVDs (five stories) are available.

Other than that I am a big fan of Basil Rathbone. I have all 14 of his Holmes movies on the digitally remastered/restored DVDs produced last year (the MPI DVDs are the only way to go) and I really liked the commentaries on THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (1939) and THE HOUNG OF THE BASKERVILLES (1939).

#94 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 10:07 PM

Any Sherlock sites that anyone might like to add?

#95 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 10:20 PM

Speaking of the Peter Cushing/Nigel Stock DVDs I was pleasantly surprised to find them in color when I got the 3-disc set from Amazon UK.

I guess it makes sense since they were made in 1968, but for some reason I had it in my head they were black & white.

#96 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 10:22 PM

Very nice crafted site. The gallery was excellent.

#97 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 10:24 PM

Yes, it's going to provide my reading material tonight!

#98 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 10:26 PM

Merged this here Mark. Hope you don't mind. :)

#99 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 11:41 PM

A good site is the Sherlock Holmes Society of London. It's one of the oldest Holmes societies in the world and its monthly newsletter, the District Messenger, is probably the best lisitng of Holmes events and publications on the web.

Until recently the society hosted a wonderful free collection of hundreds of Holmes radio plays but unfortunately some greedy people downloaded too many and the site no longer offers this facility. :)

But it's still worth a look:

http://www.sherlock-...rg.uk/index.htm

#100 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 01:10 AM

http://www.sherlockh...s.com/index.htm

Anyone know if this Sherlock Holmes fanzine is any good? I'm betting that Zencat is a subscriber.

SHERLOCK is a lively bi-monthly publication which delves into the worlds of Sherlock Holmes and crime fiction in all their varied manifestations, from super sleuths like Inspector Morse to dark serial killers such as Hannibal Lecter and Jack the Ripper. Within its pages you will discover fascinating articles on all aspects of the exciting and mysterious world of crime and detective fiction. Inside you will encounter Sherlock Holmes and other charismatic detectives from novels, television and other media. There are in-depth articles, interviews, all the latest news, Web site and DVD information and our highly respected review section.

Each issue includes an original short story featuring one of an array of both new and favourite detectives, including Sherlock Holmes. With the launch of issue 59, SHERLOCK magazine we introduced a whole fresh new look. While the appearance is new, the focus of the magazine remains the same: to keep you informed and entertained by the best of Sherlock Holmes and Crime Fiction.

Issue 63 out NOW!
Here are just a few highlights to look forward to in the latest issue of SHERLOCK magazine:

#101 Methos

Methos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 252 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 01:54 PM

I'm intent upon reading this thread thoroughly, when I get home from work. :) Ironically, I've dug into another fit of Sherlockania, oddly coinciding with The Master's birthday. :) I just completed my Granada DVD box set collection on Friday and was lucky enough (I hope it's worthy of being deemed a lucky find) to pick up the Edward Woodward/ Jonathan Hillerman Holmes film on DVD as well. Ok...so I'll read this thread thoroughly, once I've viewed that film! :) Very glad to see that this thread has gotten a 'sticky'!! :)

#102 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 06:15 PM

http://www.sherlockh...s.com/index.htm

Anyone know if this Sherlock Holmes fanzine is any good? I'm betting that Zencat is a subscriber.

View Post

It's funny...I only just discovered this mag. I think I need to subscribe. :)

#103 Mr J Bond

Mr J Bond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 09:16 PM

Jeremy Brett is by far the best Sherlock Holmes because he was the most like the character in the books. The Problem with Rathbone was his adventures were usually modernised.

And the problem with Peter Cook was his film was a comedy!

#104 Methos

Methos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 252 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 10:45 PM

I concur on all counts Mr. J Bond. :)

#105 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 11:07 PM

Traditionally I have always preferred Rathbone to Brett, but I now think that Peter Cushing is the best Holmes - after viewing the 3 DVD BBC collection from 1968.

#106 JKD68

JKD68

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 11:28 PM

Anybody have a top 3 list of fav. episodes from the Jeremy Brett Granada series?
Mine would be: 1. Adv. of the Speckled Band
2. Adv. of the Dancing Men
3. Hound of the Baskervilles
Also up there would be Silver Blaze & Adv. of the Norwood Builder.

Edited by JKD68, 17 January 2005 - 01:15 AM.

#107 Methos

Methos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 252 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 11:38 PM

Peter Cushing was quite good as Holmes!! :) I recall thoroughly enjoying his portrayal, though I must confess that I do not own any official copies of his efforts. I'm off to make a phone call and then I shall finally dig into Edward Woodward's intrepetation of The Master. :)

Until I return with fresh reflections on Woodward and Holmes, I have two Holmes pastische suggestions to offer. I heartily suggest 'The List of 7' and 'The 6 Messiahs' by Mark Frost. I found them both to be absolutely riveting. They both offer quite a different take, as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is the chief protagonist of both works. I'll not spoil anything, but there is also a character who is undeniably the author's manifestation of Holmes. That manefestation is not far removed from Bond either...which I've always held to be true...despite Holmes' monastic take on women, as opposed to Bond's voracious appetite for them. Check them out; I doubt they'll disappoint. :)

Oh...and there were inquiries as to Holmes websites! Here's one of my favorites:
http://www.sherlockian.net/

Edited by Methos, 16 January 2005 - 11:41 PM.

#108 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:10 AM

Peter Cushing was quite good as Holmes!! :) I recall thoroughly enjoying his portrayal, though I must confess that I do not own any official copies of his efforts. I'm off to make a phone call and then I shall finally dig into Edward Woodward's intrepetation of The Master. :)

Until I return with fresh reflections on Woodward and Holmes,

View Post

The Peter Cushing Sherlock Holmes episodes are available on Region 2 DVD from Amazon UK.

I also have HANDS OF A MURDERER on DVD (which I assume is the Woodward movie you are referring to). I found it very enjoyable although I am mixed about Woodward as the Master Sleuth.

#109 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:12 AM

Here's another site:

http://www-ssc.igpp....~newbury/shint/

#110 Methos

Methos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 02:03 AM

My thoughts regarding 'Hands Of A Murderer', starring Edward Woodward as Sherlock Holmes and Jonathan Hillerman as John Watson:

Woodward was properly dressed as Holmes, but far too cold. Holmes is a cold and remote soul by nature, in my estimation, but not so cold as to be too remote to humanity. Doyle infused Holmes with a sense of remoteness that was accessible...there was an enigmatic sense of sentimentality about Doyle's Holmes to which one could relate, despite the preternatural powers of deduction and seeming imperviousness to the opposite sex. Woodward, though I dearly love his portrayal of Robert McCall in 'The Equalizer', struck me as too inaccesible (emotionally, as Holmes). He was too angry...even within the context of the story. Though, no one plays bitter like Woodward, bitter is a word that I've seldom, if ever related with Holmes (save the bullits in the walls of 221B).

Jonathan Hillerman was an exceptional Watson methinks. He played the role with the proper sense of intelligent sobriety, plainness and sincerity that the role deserves. Hillerman's interpretation of the character was exceptional.

Whomever played Moriarty was convincing, both in deed and form, if not age.
The actor who played Moriarty was 20 to 30 years too young for the role. Yet, he played it right. He mimicked the physicality of Sydney Paget's illustrations and interpreted Doyle's conveyance of the character's arrogance properly...if a touch flamboyantly from time to time. His posture was very much correct, as was his sneer and general demeanor.

Lestrade and Mycroft were way off methinks. Yet, Moriarty's redheaded female foil...well...she was just more than an eyeful for any man to say anything bad about!!! :)

Nice touches to this cinematic pastische were the absence of the deerstalker and cape and the lovely depiction of Victorian era London. Holmes' use of disguise was a wonderful bonus as well. I recall someone disparaging Holmes' use of disguise, earlier on in this thread. I say this to whomever cast off depictions of Holmes in disguise...Holmes was not only a master of deduction, but a master of disguise as well. Read your Canon and ye shall know this. :)

The only faux touch...other than Woodward's remoteness, that turned me off...was Holmes's use of a meresheum calabash indoors. As I recall, Holmes only smoked the calabash outdoors. I've owned and smoked one indoors and it is not an indoor pipe, I assure you. Holmes ought to have been smoking a bent, long stem or a straight, medium stemmed pipe in the scene in question methinks.

I have raved enough. I shall retire to my addiction forwith. That being a vodka martini and not the dread needle of The Master. :)

Edited by Methos, 17 January 2005 - 02:09 AM.

#111 Methos

Methos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 02:12 AM

I thank you for the site reference DLibrasnow!!!! :) This is a link that I am sure to spend time digging through!!!! :)

#112 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 04:42 AM

Whomever played Moriarty was convincing, both in deed and form, if not age.
The actor who played Moriarty was 20 to 30 years too young for the role. Yet, he played it right.

View Post

It was Anthony Andrews who played Moriarty and, like you, I think he did an excellent job.

#113 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 04:52 AM

I just wanted to alert people to the fact that some Sherlock Holmes movies are cheaper on Region 2 DVDs than on Region 1.

For example the Ralph Richardson 1980s production of SIGN OF FOUR is $22.49 on Amazons site.
BUT, Amazon.uk has the same title in Region 2 for $9.60.

No prizes which one I went for, but be a wise shopper and check Amazon UK before plopping down the $$$$s to Amazon.com.

#114 hartley_bond

hartley_bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:12 PM

I can't believe it's taken me this long to involve myself in the Holmesian thread here at CBn.
My top ten Sherlock Holmeses are:
1. Clive Merrison (Absolute perfection. He looks exactly like Sidney Paget's portrait and his interpretation of the character is the most believable I've ever heard.)
Posted Image

2. Peter Cushing (A die-hard Sherlockian, he always took the most care to remain true to Doyle's stories and he had the incisiveness the part demands.)
Posted Image

3. Jeremy Brett (In the earlier years, he was absolutely fantastic. Although slightly too bombastic, he really made an effort to play Holmes as written.)
Posted Image

4. Ian Richardson (An electrifying portrayal. The most likeable Holmes I've ever seen)
Posted Image

5. Christopher Plummer (One of the most underrated Holmeses ever. Very human portrayal)
Posted Image

6. Douglas Wilmer (Looked like the Paget drawings, had Holmese "high, strident tones" and gave a fine performance to boot)
Posted Image

7. Basil Rathbone (An absolutely charming Holmes, who managed to make all his Holmes films worth watching, despite being saddled with one of the worst Watson's ever)
Posted Image

8. Orson Welles (His Holmses was one of the first on radio. His Holmes sounded like a young James Mason and it was a performance up to Welles usual standard)
Posted Image

9. Christopher Lee (He looked perfect in Sherlock Holmes and the Deadly Necklace and sounded perfect in the Holmes audio books he did. If he had done an English speaking Holmes movie in the sixties, he'd be at the top of my list)
Posted Image

#115 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:15 PM

I can't believe it's taken me this long to involve myself in the Holmesian thread here at CBn.
1. Clive Merrison (Absolute perfection. He looks exactly like Sidney Paget's portrait and his interpretation of the character is the most believable I've ever heard.)

Yep; absolutely top of my list too - the radio series was great. Can't overpraise it.

#116 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:03 PM

Still not mad about Merrison. Nothing wrong with him, but he doesn't set my world on fire.

Just started listening to the Further Adventures of.. which are pretty tops (although I preferred Williams as Watson). Was talking about them on another board when I realised I was chatting to Bert Coules- the fella that adapted and wrote the radio series! Seems a nice guy.

#117 hartley_bond

hartley_bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 11:18 PM

Seems a nice guy.

He is. I've been talking with him at the Scarlet Street boards for years.

Edited by hartley_bond, 25 January 2005 - 11:22 PM.

#118 hartley_bond

hartley_bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 11:22 PM

Yep; absolutely top of my list too - the radio series was great. Can't overpraise it.

View Post

The BBC radio series is the best dramatisation of the Holmes canon ever, irrespective of medium. Most of the adaptations (except for the ones by Peter Mackie) are excellent and in some instances improve on the original stories (The Lion's Mane, The Mazarin Stone, The Valley of Fear, His Last Bow, etc.). And the late Michael Williams was the greatest Watson ever.

#119 hartley_bond

hartley_bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 11:25 PM

I was just wondering if anyone has seen The hound of the Baskervilles starring former Doctor Who actor Tom Baker from 1982,and what it was like?

View Post

I just saw this the other day and liked it. It's very setbound and cheap and Terence Rigby is an appalling Watson. But Baker is a very good Holmes, doing a toned down version of his Who persona (Baker also played Holmeses mentor Nathanial Collington-Smith in the BBC Radio series The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes), and Christopher Ravenscroft is quite good as Stapleton. Overall, a nice product.

#120 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 03:26 PM

Listening to the BBC Radio versions of the tales on headphones is great fun - the performances and productions are top-notch. Only the Granada TV versions with Jeremy Brett come close. Last week I caught a showing of Silver Blaze and was very impressed with the adaptation; the last scene where Holmes sniffily dines and explains the case (complete with Brett inserting a surreptitious and very funny sheep's bleating) is wonderful.

Just in passing, I should note that my local (and rapidly becoming legendary) secondhand bookshop has a superb collection of various old Holmes books (including reference books and continuation novels) as well as numerous "Saint", Biggles, Bulldog Drummond, John Buchan and Dornford Yates. If anyone is looking for a particular obscure Holmes reference book or novel or is looking to complete their collection, let me know and I'll look. If it's there, I might, just might, send it to you free of charge - but no promises. My fun comes from finding the book. Let me know if there's anything you would like, whether it's something you haven't read or a particular edition of a book. It's OK, I'm not a book dealer - I just like books!