This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

What type of timepiece should the next Bond wear?

211 replies to this topic

#61 sidspappy

sidspappy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 07:16 AM

More information please - if ever I get to the stage where I can afford something more complex than a sundial this thread will prove invaluable. But as for anyone else...

View Post

I'm sure we'd all be glad to help - provided, of course, that you could be more specific. What information on what pieces would you like?

And IMHO, you really don't have to spend big money to get "the taste," so to speak of Bond watches. As Adrian has pointed out, his inexpensive Invicta has nearly all the quality and features of the Rolex. Unless you're dead set to get EXACTLY the real deal, then there's no reason to get yourself into too much debt. The Omegas, on the other hand, are harder to duplicate, as I assume copyright issues limit legitimate "homages" of the Seamaster design. You can get sort of close by browsing Internet sites that carry Asian/European lines from companies like Citizen and Seiko. The North American models are too limited in scope to provide alternatives to the Omegas. I like www.skywatches.com.sg

I've owned an Omega Dynamic, a Citizen Promaster Automatic, and two Automatic Seiko Divers, and I can tell you, aside from the out-of-box accuracy, there was no difference in quality between the brands. They were all good, but the Citizen and Seikos were a fraction of the price of the Omega. Unless you're set on having the same watch as Pierce Brosnan, then you shouldn't have to spend the money.

Well, I'm probably talking to no avail. Many will save up for and buy that Submariner or Seamaster anyway. More power to you if you can afford it!

#62 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 09:18 AM

We should remember that back in the days that Fleming wrote his books, Rolex was regarded as an upper-class brand, but not to the heights it enjoys today.

Or depths, arguably. In the eye of the general public - who don't know about watches - I think a lot of people see it as a devalued brand. As has been discussed: overly tanned porcine businessmen in their villas in Marbella wear Rolexes. Rolex has also suffered massively from piracy, as has also been pointed out - the first thing I wonder when I see one is if it's fake. Perhaps Bond could have picked up a fake one in Hong Kong? :)

So the beliefs that we hold today about the value of certain timepieces cannot be held up against the pieces we see in Bond's past. We are missing the intent of the time - to show Bond as having the "best-of-the-best," to an extent. He wears what is cool and sought after at the time. Obviously, this is exactly where product placement rears its ugly head, but I think to state that what we've seen Bond with in the past detracts from his image now, is not taking historical aspects into account.

Very interesting point, and skewers the dilemma I was skirting around trying to express earlier. It is indeed easy with hindsight to see that the digital watches worn by Moore are hideous, just as one can point to his flared safari suit and feel a touch of hysteria bubbling under - at the time, as you say, the watches he wore were 'it' and nobody had any idea how bad they would look. My feeling is that Omega is the Seiko of 2004. That's not based on any knowledge of the watches' inner workings - just the look and the branding. Bear with me, watch-lovers and Omega owners. :) I think Pierce Brosnan looks, at first glance, very much like he could be Ian Fleming's James Bond:

Posted Image

No scar, no comma of hair. But he has a cruel, debonair look, and unlike, say, Dalton, he knows how to wear clothes. He's wearing a Super 100 wool suit in that picture - very Sixties. Look at how Jason Bourne dresses in the last film: sweater, dark trousers, black coat. Very simple stuff. No idea who it's designed by, but it's utilitarian-military in feel, probably someone like Prada. It looks like an approximation of how many people dress today. James Bond still dresses like he's in the Sixties - his image is still very much of a man in formal attire (or has been in the Brosnan era). For me, the only piece of him that doesn't look like he's Fleming's Bond is the watch - it's the metal bracelet that does it. Screams 80s Marbella to me. Does not go with what he is wearing.

Check out Connery:

Posted Image

What watch is that? Can we get a strap like that for the next Bond? Can we, in fact, get that very watch, EON? Go to eBay! :) I think I could more than handle the next actor wearing that watch. It would, apart from anything else, help enormously in all those tedious conversations about whether or not 007 is a number passed on to different men. Wouldn't it be handy to say, 'Funny, then, that he is wearing the precise same watch. Not the same model - the very same watch. Does each 007 hand over his watch on his death?' I think I need another question mark.

It would also be handy to say this about most of what Bond wears. And I think it's possible. The Sixties were the last great fashion era. The 70s have dated. The 80s, too. And the 90s - check Pierce's hair in GoldenEye. :) Soon 2004's styles will have dated. But the majority of the brands Ian Fleming picked out still exist: Turnbull & Asser, Floris, Aston Martin, John Lobb, Dom Perignon, Taittinger, Geo F Trumper, Guerlain, Dunhill, Ronson, Walther, Cartier, Minton china... and many more.

I think you're right that the intent of the film-makers was to show the best of the time. But I think it was a mistake. 'He wears what is cool and sought after at the time.' Yes, in the films - but not in the books. Bond seeks the best - and the most durable. He would not buy a new watch because it's cool and sought after. He would stick with the one that works, and is of the highest quality. That's why he got it in the first place.

This has become a more general point than just about watches - but I think a new actor provides an opportunity for another look at the way Bond dresses, and the products he uses. When Brioni got the gig to dress Bond, they had a press release that said the following:

'James Bond, the very symbol of English elegance, has always been dressed by Savile Row tailors, hence the decision to entrust his dress to Brioni symbolises the definitive triumph of Italian fashion.'

We let that slide! That's worse than Moore wearing a safari suit with a Transformer watch and a pair of Converse All-Stars, that sentence. We were all so delighted that Brosnan was finally getting the job, and that there was a Bond who looked the part, that we let this comment slide. Read it again. And again, until your blood reaches boiling point. Allowing these Italian upstarts to use the Bond connection to proclaim victory over Savile Row!

It's time to bring Bond in from the Campania. I've been swayed on the Rolex - it's in Fleming, it's a handy little weapon (let's see it used as one again!) and Connery wore it. So get that one with the leather strap, put Bond in a Kilgour tux, give him a Ronson lighter, and you're off. None of that is going to go the way of Seiko - or Omega.

Edited by spynovelfan, 21 December 2004 - 11:58 AM.

#63 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 01:34 PM

Didn't I say in an earlier post that things would get out of hand here before we were through? :) Sidspappy, you've certainly opened up a lively discussion here, but I must throw in my 2 cents worth. I have tended to agree with most of what's been said here. However, I'm not sure about the idea of Bond having two different watches for different occasions. That seems to be a recent phenomenon which has stemmed from the popularity of watch collecting in the last 20 years or so. I often tell customers (I sell watches) that our fathers probably only had one watch which they wore for everything, whether it was a Sunday barbeque, hammering a nail into a wall, going to work, pushing us on a swing at the local playground, etc, etc. If you grew up in the 60s and 70s, your dad's watch may have been a classy little number that might already have been ten years old by the time you started to take notice of it. I know, I know, I'm generalising here. These days, however, I have to deal with watch collectors who tell me; "I have 38 watches" and "I need a watch with a dial color that will match my Armani jeans". Luckily, the store I work in is on the ground floor. Even if I could jump through the double-glazed security glass, I probably wouldn't hurt myself too badly.
Anyway, my point is that there was a time back in the 50s and 60s when the Rolex Submariner (with slight design changes) was issued to British Navy divers. It is conceivable to think that Bond may have been issued with the Submariner since he still held the title of Commander in the Royal Navy. In my own defence, I should point out that I haven't read the Fleming Bonds since the late 1980s so my facts about his Naval record may be hazy.
It seems to me, however, that none of us are really qualified to say exactly what watch Bond WOULD choose or what watch Fleming WOULD choose. Unless, of course, you were a great friend of Ian Fleming and spent many an hour discussing which timepiece would suit Bond best.
The best we can aim for is Sidspappy's original starter to this thread-What type of timepiece SHOULD the next Bond wear?
Personally, I love dive watches and I don't dive. I used to work in hospitality and my watch used to be subjected to some serious knocks against tables, chairs and coffee machines. Maybe I was just plain clumsy. But I love the legibility that a dive watch provides.
One more thing- the Bond movies aren't real life. They are a fantasy. I don't find the idea of Bond wearing a dive watch with a dinner jacket laughable in the least. If I did, then it would be an insult to every man at a formal gathering who wears anything but a thin gold watch on an alligator strap when he's wearing a tux.
Like I said earlier, just my 2 cents.

VM

#64 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 01:53 PM

But VM, in my last post I have succumbed and unfurled a pristine white flag! One watch it is, and a Rolex Sub I believe, too. All I ask is that EON either use the very same watch Connery wore, or at least find a vintage model of it - with *leather* strap, preferably. If it's a metal strap, then have him use it as a knuckle-duster.

I'm hard, but fair, I think.

#65 sidspappy

sidspappy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 08:18 PM

What watch is that? Can we get a strap like that for the next Bond? Can we, in fact, get that very watch, EON? Go to eBay! :) I think I could more than handle the next actor wearing that watch. It would, apart from anything else, help enormously in all those tedious conversations about whether or not 007 is a number passed on to different men. Wouldn't it be handy to say, 'Funny, then, that he is wearing the precise same watch. Not the same model - the very same watch. Does each 007 hand over his watch on his death?' I think I need another question mark.

View Post

If you are actually asking what that piece is in the picture, it is an example of an early Submariner, without the crown lugs or date feature, and without the metal trim around the dial marker indices, or the cyclops magnifier. This one also had an acrylic crystal, if I remember. Take a good look at the closeup in the beginning of GF. I'm sure there are numerous examples abound on eBoy, perhaps even a rabid Bond fanatic would offer it on loan! After viewing the DN DVD, I deduce that the strap used was some sort of brown leather, possibly with a crocodile pattern on it. It would be easy to procure such an example. Or, we could go with the unidentified striped fabric band that was too narrow for the lug width (see again the GF closeup). There are copies being produced today that mimic the stripe pattern, advertising itself as an MOD-issue inspired watch strap.

I would agree that putting a new Rolex on a strap would soften the harsh diver looks somewhat, though repeated exposure to water would probably destroy it, much as I suspect the Connery version did sometime after FRWL. Also, the looks of the present Submariner, with the cyclops magnifier, would probably look a bit out of place on a crocodile strap.

The more I think on it, the more I feel that Rolex, at present, would not be the right choice for a new movie Bond. Although watch enthusiasts know the value of the brand, most of the moviegoing public have a different image of Rolex - namely, as a gold, diamond-encrusted "bling-bling" piece of jewelery hanging off some gangsta rapper's wrist. Or, they see hundreds of copied examples on everyday people's wrists. This diminishes the image of Bond, as a sophisticated connesuier, with tastes that go against the grain and above the common man! Just as I don't see EON going back to the Walther PPK, in many ways, I don't think they'll ever go Rolex either, as sad as it is to say.

Keep the comments going! I love this :)

#66 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:18 PM

Breitling has a nice line of Diving Watches . Most of it's line is for Military Men . Like Bond . Plus i was under the impress that they created the Watch used by Bond / Domino in Thunderball .

#67 sidspappy

sidspappy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:03 AM

Breitling has a nice line of Diving Watches .  Most of it's line is for Military Men .  Like Bond .  Plus i was under the impress that they created the Watch used by Bond / Domino in Thunderball .

View Post

Bond did indeed use a Breitling Top Time as a Geiger Counter in TB. Not sure about Domino, but Bond did return her deceased brother's Breitling to her. If I am not mistaken, that one was a Navitimer. Seems there was some kind of product placement going on there, eh? The Navitimer, geared toward the professional flyer, would have been appropriate for a pilot, though. Makes you wonder why Bond never adopted the Top Time after that mission if there was a product placement deal in place. You don't see ANY watch in YOLT, and Lazenby goes back to Rolex in OHMSS (though not the Submariner).

Breitling is indeed a luxury brand on Bond's level, but for those who complain of the Omega's "gaudiness," they would have a heart attack if a Breitling appeared on Bond's wrist, and that goes for Tag Heuer as well. Actually, can you really take Breitling seriously, when their most prolific celebrity "ambassador" (from what I've seen) is...Jerry Seinfeld? :) :)

#68 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:30 PM

Anyway, my point is that there was a time back in the 50s and 60s when the Rolex Submariner (with slight design changes) was issued to British Navy divers. It is conceivable to think that Bond may have been issued with the Submariner since he still held the title of Commander in the Royal Navy. In my own defence, I should point out that I haven't read the Fleming Bonds since the late 1980s so my facts about his Naval record may be hazy.

Like I said earlier, just my 2 cents.

VM

View Post

Your 2 cents is worth more than that. This is a very good point and probably says exactly why Fleming's Bond wore a Rolex. Remember, the first novel that identifies it by name is "Live And Let Die", published in 1954 one year after the Sub was introduced. The mention of the Rolex watch is while Bond is underwater. Again, and this has a lot to do with the time period, Bond would certainly be using whatever piece of equipment he found to be reliable.

To Rolex collectors the watch Connery wore is known as the "James Bond Rolex". To them, any Sub without the crown guards is a Bond Rolex. But as was mentioned earlier in this thread, Connery's Rolex has some other aesthetic variations. By the way, the striped fabric strap is known as a NATO strap, which was a military preference.

Frankly, the first time I noticed the Rolex Submariner was in "Live And Let Die" and it looked to me at the time to be made specifically for Bond. Something the likes of Ken Adam would conceive...even though he didn't work on that film.

#69 sidspappy

sidspappy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:22 PM

Here's a radical idea - instead of Bond using an existing model from a company (which ironically, ends up becoming an unoffical "Bond" model), why don't both sides of production (EON production designer/watch company) get together and design an actual "James Bond" watch, with all the elegance, reliability, and durability that 007 requires?

This piece would be unique, and could be run in limited numbers, creating a collector frenzy. You could have a "signature" version, with the signature of the future Bond engraved onto the caseback, like how Arnold Schwarzenegger does on special Audemars Piguet pieces. The marketing possibilities are endless.

Ideally, the main reason this would be an exciting way to go is that individual ideas about what the character of Bond is all about can be incorporated into the design. The main tug-of-war on this thread appears to be the disdain by some who dislike "dive" pieces, with others who like them and stick to the "Rolex is tradition" or "Omegas are good - keep em'" sensibilities. A new, blank-sheet design could make a piece that is not as "bulky," perhaps bringing down case size, streamline the bezel (or eliminate it completely), creating a synthetic strap that looks classy, but will withstand salt-water immersion, and redesign the dial, hands, and markers to still be legible, but not to appear too "dive watch."

If EON was smart, they'd run a contest off the main Bond website to ask for suggestions into the design, and even which company to recruit. The winner will ultimately win one of the first pieces to come off the line, and if they got enough cash flow, throw in a trip for two to the eventual production sites of Bond 21, where they will meet the new Bond (with photo op that gets posted to the Bond site, as well as the manufacturing company's site).

If I were Rolex, I'd jump at the chance to get back into the game, so to speak. Omega could do it easily - they've run commemorative 007 pieces before. Some of the other Swiss companies would do well to throw their hat into the ring, with some of the more "inappropriate" companies who have more complex designs (read Breitling and Tag Heuer), having an opportunity to design something more in line with Bond's tastes.

I would think that the costs for developing this new design should fall on the eventual manufacterer. The increased publicity this unique design would generate would allow the company to pay EON/Sony their endorsement share, but still reap revenue benefits that would cover development costs (I'm just guessing here).

Can you imagine the excitement this would create? Not only for the watch enthusiast community, mind you, but I think many in the general public would take notice too of something unique and "James Bond"-ish.

I mean, aside from the Aston Martin DB-5 (which I believe, wasn't designed for Bond, either), the Walther PPK, and a medium-dry Vodka Martini (shaken, not stirred), what other things have become so synonymous with Bond in recent years? Yes, the Omega Seamaster is one, but with today's in-your-face cross-marketing practices, so much more can and should be done.

Yes, the Omega Seamaster is "James Bond's Choice," but like his custom-made cigarrettes, shouldn't Bond have a watch that is REALLY custom-made? For crying out loud, you could even work it into Bond 21, by having Q hand it over to him and say, "I designed this one especially for you, OO7. Perhaps now that it has all the features you've been incessantly hounding me for, you'll actually manage to bring this one BACK?"

#70 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:57 PM

The more I think on it, the more I feel that Rolex, at present, would not be the right choice for a new movie Bond. Although watch enthusiasts know the value of the brand, most of the moviegoing public have a different image of Rolex - namely, as a gold, diamond-encrusted "bling-bling" piece of jewelery hanging off some gangsta rapper's wrist. Or, they see hundreds of copied examples on everyday people's wrists. This diminishes the image of Bond, as a sophisticated connesuier, with tastes that go against the grain and above the common man! Just as I don't see EON going back to the Walther PPK, in many ways, I don't think they'll ever go Rolex either, as sad as it is to say.

Keep the comments going! I love this  :)

View Post

I disagree on a number of points here.Firstly,I believe Eon will return to Rolex at some point.Rolex has not featured in every Bond film but it does make returns.I also think you are over generalising about what people think of Rolex...not everyone thinks it is a 'bling-bling' piece.Unforteatly it has been hijacked by the gangsta rapper type,but Bond is obviously not going to be wearing some sort of 'iced out' Datejust.A character like Bond can carry off the sports/divers models because he is a genuinely sophisticated person.

Above all else there has to be a certain amount of practicality in what he wears.We have already established there are more elegant,sophisticated watches out there,but non that would last 10 mins on Bonds wrist.Rolex divers can be worn for all occassions.

I also dont agree with a vintage watch.Bond has always kept with the times and each film is relevant to the time and era in which it is made.The watch should be no exception.It was nice to see a DB5 in DAD,but thankfully that was just a bit of nostalgia for an anniversary film.

And finally,I can see what you are saying sidspappy about a watch for Bond,but it is not going to happen.Bond doesn't sell enough watches for a major player to dedicate/make a watch specifically for him.I think Rolex have proved they dont need Bonds endorsement and Omega do pretty well on their own two feet also.
The only manufactures who would be intersted would be those who needed Bond and to be honest that would be a brand Bond wouldn't wear.

I stick with my original thought.Bond should have a Rolex Seadweller.

#71 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 11:39 AM

But VM, in my last post I have succumbed and unfurled a pristine white flag! One watch it is, and a Rolex Sub I believe, too. All I ask is that EON either use the very same watch Connery wore, or at least find a vintage model of it - with *leather* strap, preferably. If it's a metal strap, then have him use it as a knuckle-duster.
I'm hard, but fair, I think.

View Post

Spynovelfan, I have seen many a man walk into the store I work in and bad-mouth Rolex (and I'm in no way implying that you have done the same). By the time I've finished talking, they leave the store with a higher appreciation for the brand. And my store doesn't even sell Rolex! As for EON supplying Bond with the same watch as Connery wore (the Calibre 5513, I think), that is both a novel and a noble idea. But trying to find five or six of these for a film shoot (allowing for accidental damage during filming, etc) would be time-consuming and expensive. But it's a great idea.

Breitling is indeed a luxury brand on Bond's level, but for those who complain of the Omega's "gaudiness," they would have a heart attack if a Breitling appeared on Bond's wrist, and that goes for Tag Heuer as well. Actually, can you really take Breitling seriously, when their most prolific celebrity "ambassador" (from what I've seen) is...Jerry Seinfeld?  :)  :)

View Post

Tag Heuer had their chance. Rumor has it that they were offered the gig for 'GoldenEye' ,but they turned it down. Sadder, but wiser, I guess.

Your 2 cents is worth more than that. This is a very good point and probably says exactly why Fleming's Bond wore a Rolex. Remember, the first novel that identifies it by name is "Live And Let Die", published in 1954 one year after the Sub was introduced. The mention of the Rolex watch is while Bond is underwater. Again, and this has a lot to do with the time period, Bond would certainly be using whatever piece of equipment he found to be reliable.
To Rolex collectors the watch Connery wore is known as the "James Bond Rolex". To them, any Sub without the crown guards is a Bond Rolex. But as was mentioned earlier in this thread, Connery's Rolex has some other aesthetic variations. By the way, the striped fabric strap is known as a NATO strap, which was a military preference.
Frankly, the first time I noticed the Rolex Submariner was in "Live And Let Die" and it looked to me at the time to be made specifically for Bond. Something the likes of Ken Adam would conceive...even though he didn't work on that film.

View Post

Thanks, Donovan. 'Live And Let Die' was the film where I first noticed the Submariner, too. Back in those days, you couldn't pick up a TIME Magazine, Reader's Digest or National Geographic without seeing an ad for Rolex Subs. I was often sick as a child and spent quite a bit of time in Doctor's waiting rooms.

1) Rolex divers can be worn for all occassions.
2) I also dont agree with a vintage watch.
3) I stick with my original thought.Bond should have a Rolex Seadweller.

1) Agreed.
2) Me neither.
3) My thoughts exactly. It's not as over-exposed as the Sub and the SeaDweller has a slightly more understated look to it because of the lack of a cyclops lens over the date.

View Post

I think that covers everything I wanted to say except Merry Xmas to y'all.

Vodka Martino

#72 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 09:24 PM

From "Something Evil Comes This Way" (Chapter 17), YOLT:

"Bond glanced at the cheap Japanese wristwatch Tiger had provided."

Our problems are over. :)

#73 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 09:31 AM

From "Something Evil Comes This Way" (Chapter 17), YOLT:

"Bond glanced at the cheap Japanese wristwatch Tiger had provided."

Our problems are over.  :)

View Post

Well, Bond did go a little screwy in that book.

VM

#74 AMWebby

AMWebby

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 05:30 PM

An interesting thread. I myself wear a Rolex Submariner, of the same vintage (1979) as my Aston Martin V8, hence the same as Timothy Dalton's. I too feel that Omegas are the Seiko of this era and was disappointed when Pierce started sporting one, the only compensation being the knowledge that Rolex obviously didn't need to get involved in any product placement.

My vote is for a Sea-Dweller 4000, with a depth rating of 4,000 feet, it's the divers watch whereas the Sub is really a sailor's watch. The Sea-Dweller looks serious and would continue the tradition whilst signalling serious intent (as opposed to bling) in its use.

Posted Image

#75 Glor (009)

Glor (009)

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 12:59 AM

Personally I think either the Rolex or the Omega dive watch will be fine. Of course Omega has no gangsters singing "I got the 'Omi" on my arm..."

I wear an Omega Constellation automatic with gold bands between the stainless links and a white face. It looks great with a suit. One thing about automatics though. They aren't exactly precise. My watch is almost always 5 minutes behind and most of the people I've met with Omega automatics have the same problem. If I do get a Seamaster and I still want one it will be quartz. So the second hand ticks rather than sweeping? At least it will be accurate all the time.

#76 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 02:13 AM

Hey Glor, if your watch is losing five minutes, then you should get it looked at by an authorised Omega Repair Agent. My automatic Seamaster loses about 15 seconds over ten days. I've had it for five years and it's probably due for a service. If you get an automatic watch serviced every five years or so, then it will last 40-50 years before it needs a major overhaul, if not longer. A quartz watch should give you 20 to 30 years of faithful service before the movement finally packs it in. However, they require less care and feeding.
If you want a watch that you can hand down to you kids, get an automatic. If you want super accuracy, (although not 100%) then get a quartz.

Vodka Martino

#77 AMWebby

AMWebby

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 06:16 PM

Well said Vodka. My Sub loses/gains about 4/5 secs, which is as it should be, being a chronograph. I used to be a fan of the 'accuracy' of quartz but, having had all of my quartz watches stop at the same time because the battery ran out after two years, I am more than ever wedded to the beauty of an automatic movement.

Great name BTW, reminds me of my favourite name for a space age bachelor pad group, 'The Aston Martinis'.

#78 JKD68

JKD68

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 08:10 PM

I wouldn't mind at all to see the Seamaster again in Bond21. As an example of how commonplace Rolex's are now, my father owns 3 of them I think. No, they're not fakes. And no, he doesn't drive a Porsche or a Ferrari- he drives a Mercury, & sometimes a Dodge truck. To me, Rolex's have just become too "showy" & Bond might not be taken as seriously if he shows up in the next movie wearing one. However, the Sea dweller does look like a serious & "business-like" time piece and would be a good fit looks-wise.

#79 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:09 AM

Well said Vodka. My Sub loses/gains about 4/5 secs, which is as it should be, being a chronograph. I used to be a fan of the 'accuracy' of quartz but, having had all of my quartz watches stop at the same time because the battery ran out after two years, I am more than ever wedded to the beauty of an automatic movement.

Great name BTW, reminds me of my favourite name for a space age bachelor pad group, 'The Aston Martinis'.

View Post

Thanks, AMWebby. Although I have to say that no watch collector should be without at least one quartz watch in his/her collection. Reason being that you can always use it to set the time on all your automatic watches. And it's always handy to wear it for those activities where you may risk damaging an automatic movement. Things like mountain-bike riding, mowing lawns, making Vodka Martinis (shaken, not stirred). Any continuos and vigorous vibration may damage or dislodge parts of the movement. But don't quote me on that. However, given what a decent auto watch sells for these days, it's better to be safe than sorry.

VM

#80 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:17 AM

Fascinating thread, but as an (pretentious phrase alert) ingenue horologist, it's starting to get a little confusing. Could one of you experts clarify what and where the literary Bond wore and ditto for the cinematic Bond? Failing that, could you tell me where I might find the information?

Thanks. The clock is ticking. :)

#81 AMWebby

AMWebby

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:43 PM

The literary Bond wore an "Oyster Perpetual on an expanding metal bracelet" described as having "big phosphorus numerals." This is described by Ian Fleming in Chapter 15 of OHMSS. This is commonly thought to be the early Submariner model with no gaurds around the crown but may also have referred to an earlier, military, Rolex..

Sean Connery wore a Rolex Submariner, as did George Lazenby and Roger Moore (when he wasn't wearing digital Seikos. Timothy Dalton also wore a Rolex Submariner and it wasn't until Goldeneye and Pierce Brosnan's debut that we first see an Omega Seamaster.

I still think James would not wear an Omega but the more professional Rolex Seadweller but what do I know?

You can read all about the film watches here Q Branch

Edited by AMWebby, 05 January 2005 - 12:44 PM.

#82 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 05:54 PM

Thanks, AMWebby. Much obliged. :)

#83 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:46 AM

The literary Bond wore an "Oyster Perpetual on an expanding metal bracelet" described as having "big phosphorus numerals." This is described by Ian Fleming in Chapter 15 of OHMSS. This is commonly thought to be the early Submariner model with no gaurds around the crown but may also have referred to an earlier, military, Rolex..

Hey AMWebby, I was just wondering if the "big phosphorous numerals" could actually mean the Rolex Explorer (Reference 1016) which used to have a luminous 3,6 and 12 on the dial. Although, since this watch has the word 'Explorer' written on the dial, one would assume that Ian Fleming, with his fastidious attention to detail, would have mentioned this in one of his books.
However, like you say, it could have referred to one of the highly sought-after and rarely seen military Submariners from the 1950s which had the same dial configuration as the Explorer.

VM

#84 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:55 PM

However, like you say, it could have referred to one of the highly sought-after and rarely seen military Submariners from the 1950s which had the same dial configuration as the Explorer.

VM

View Post

Well here is a treat for you then ....

My husband recently met someone with a great collection of rare Rollies.

Here is his 3 favs with the Military Sub on the NATO strap.

Posted Image

Edited by Lady Rose, 06 January 2005 - 05:57 PM.

#85 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 11:06 PM

Ahhh, yes. That's the one. I have to say they're all in pristine condition. Must have cost a king's ransom. And I love the Comex SeaDweller. The Comex models really mean business.
Thanks for the picture, Lady Rose.

VM

#86 Dalton

Dalton

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:19 AM

I'd have to go with the Omega for future Bond's. I wear a Seamaster myself and have had years of reliablility from the timepiece. It is also a rugged watch that stands up to the riggers af an active life, but looks IMO good. A watch that Bond would in this day and age wear. Having said that The Rolex also fits the bill, but for a civil servant a little out of the affordable price range.

#87 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:59 PM

Having said that The Rolex also fits the bill, but for a civil servant a little out of the affordable price range.

View Post

Yeah, because most civil servants smoke hand-rolled cigarettes and wear tailor-made suits. :)

I'm coming round to Omega as a possibility - if it was a military watch from the 40s, with a leather strap. Something like this, say:

Posted Image

#88 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:59 PM

Sorry spynovelfan, but the Omega Museum Collection re-edition 1945 Officer's Watch would have to be one of the most illegible dials ever made. As for luminosity in the dark, well this watch doesn't have any. And don't even get me started on its limited water resistance.
Whichever way you look at it, all roads lead to Rome. Rome in this case is a Diver's watch. So we come full circle back to the Omega Seamaster Professional or the Rolex Submariner/Seadweller. These watches can handle a day in the life of James Bond. And they're Q Branch approved, too! :)

Vodka Martino

#89 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 06:03 PM

I think TAG Heuer watches are quite cool.
just some of them:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#90 AMWebby

AMWebby

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 08:50 PM

Steve McQueen cool maybe, 007 cool, never.