This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Does anyone else think EON was underrated?

47 replies to this topic

#31 chris-o

chris-o

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

It's my favourite Bond game. I liked the Bond sense and the 3rd person perspective. I don't think so, because it's much better than FRWL!

#32 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:46 AM

I liked the Bond sense concept very much. One of my favourite inclusions of any Bond game.

#33 YouKnowTheName

YouKnowTheName

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:44 PM

EOn is probably the worst Bond game since GoldenEye (I'm not counting GRA as a Bond game because you don't play as Bond).

As a game it's a horrible, broken, patronising mess. You can't even do your own shooting, in a shooting game. Everything is so linear and heavily signposted you never have to think about anything. The game basically plays itself.

As a Bond game it's even more horrible. The plot felt like it was written by someone who had never seen a Bond film or read a Fleming novel, but had been told about Bond by an enthusiastic child. We're supposed to believe that Roger Moore in AVTAK is Pierce Brosnan? A generic plot to take over the world (yawn) stupid one liners all around and JAWS?!? In the Brosnan era? For crying out loud. And moving the third person only makes you feel less like Bond.

For the full story, read my old review on the horrible debacle: http://www.gamefaqs....iew/R98364.html

This is a childish insult to everything Bond is, and a terrible game to boot. Thankfully, it led to FRWL (the same game basically, but at least the targeting worked)which led to EA losing the license altogether. This game was an outright slap in the face, both to Bond fans and gamers.

#34 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:18 AM

I disagree YouKnowTheName. EON was a rather strong effort by EA games. The fact that the company could garner the voice talent of so many high profile actors (who gave pretty decent performances by the way) was a big plus.

The graphics, for its time, were very sharp, The environments were detailed and varied and really brought the world of Bond to life. The weapons added some great variety since there were so many to choose from. The combat system didn't allow for very long brawls unfortunately, but at least there was some possibility to get your hands dirty as Bond.

The story was alright. It EON had been made into a film, then the fans, including myself, would have cried foul. But for a video game I believe it worked quite well. When watching a movie, one wants a sense of suspense and adrenaline. In a video games, the adrenaline should be there but most of all I think the game should be fun. EON provided the gamer to perform over the top stunts like only James Bond could, but since it was interactive, it worked out fine. Yeah, that level where Bond jumps off the cliff to save the girl has was thrown from the helicopter was an blatantly silly, but it was still daring in a Bondian kind of way.

Of course, as Bond fans we all react to 007 in different ways. I hope my rebuttal doesn't make you think I'm a Moonraker fan! Don't worry, I'm not that crazy. I just think that in a video game, you can get a way with more than if you were making a piece of cinema. That's all.

#35 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:27 AM

I enjoy EoN, but Nightfire is still my favorite. The multiplayer is just too much fun.

#36 YouKnowTheName

YouKnowTheName

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:17 PM

I know some people do enjoy EON. I personally don't understand the appeal of games that play themselves, but I'm not knocking anyone. I like Nightfire a lot better, and even QOS. It has great gameplay and a story that, while mangled, can at least be taken seriously.

Just be thankful EON was made before QTEs were invented, or you'd probably be playing the whole thing with one hand.

At least Activision have improved on EONs basic mistakes (i.e crappy non-gameplay) even if QOS can hardly be called a success. Heres to the future!

#37 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:02 PM

I enjoy EoN, but Nightfire is still my favorite. The multiplayer is just too much fun.

Agreed. The single player mode for EON is great, and that alone makes it the second best after GoldenEye for me. It's under-rated. I don't play Nightfire's solo campaign mode much, but I find myself playing its multi-player the most, it's just a whole lot of fun.

#38 Major D.Smythe

Major D.Smythe

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:33 AM

Nightfire is still my #1 favourite, but EON was a great game. I remember the adverts, that's right, on tv showcasing the voice talent in the voice. OPS2 Magazine gave it 9/10. And it is easily a substitue for a 5th Borsnan film, those 3 extra months did wonders, but I quite liked th eoriginal gunbarrel theme.

#39 SolidWaffle

SolidWaffle

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

EON is great, and it does take the place of Brosnan's 5th film. It is underrated, not by the critics but by CBn, i think. It's solid 3rd person action with solid driving and a solid Bond story, too campy but it's in line with Die Another Day. :(

#40 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:29 PM

This thread prompted me to get round to actually finishing the game. Nice title sequence/theme. Quite enjoyed the driving levels, which is unusual for me, but both the auto aim and inventory caused me a lot of grief. Much of the play felt based on things done better in Splinter Cell or Metal Gear. And the final cut scene was a bit miserly. If it wasn’t for the Bond connection I’d probably not have bothered.

#41 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:51 PM

I really like EON. I kept my GameCube just because I happen to really like that game. I can't get enough of EON!!!

If there exists an underrated Bond game, I think it would be Agent Under Fire.

#42 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:54 PM

I LOVE it!

#43 007FANATIC

007FANATIC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

Personally, I can remember that when NightFire came out it was a huge deal everywhere, even amongst my non-Bond fan friends. Everyone was so anxiuos to play it...maybe its lack of "being finished" brought down EON's chances. Don't get me wrong, I liked NightFire too...

But seriously, EON had it all. Amazing graphics, an efficient combat/control scheme that I was NEVER frustrated with, a great job of writing (Thank You Mr. Fierstein, that "bridge" joke actually had me laughing out loud) and to top it all off, a Davd-Arnold/John Barry score from a man who has had no previous Bond experience. Good job Sean Callery!

Anyone else agree? EON = Way better than people say. My entire Point.

Matt

I agree. It was an excellent game. I like it more than Nightfire, and FRWL. (I like it more than FRWL since Connery sounds terrible.) I think it had great writing, a great story, and Brosnan, tied for my 2nd favorite Bond, doing the voice work.
I also like the reference to Max Zorin.
Overall, it's my favorite Bond game. (I've heard GoldenEye for N64 is great, and I believe that, but I only played it once, and very briefly.)

#44 007FANATIC

007FANATIC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

Personally, I can remember that when NightFire came out it was a huge deal everywhere, even amongst my non-Bond fan friends. Everyone was so anxiuos to play it...maybe its lack of "being finished" brought down EON's chances. Don't get me wrong, I liked NightFire too...

But seriously, EON had it all. Amazing graphics, an efficient combat/control scheme that I was NEVER frustrated with, a great job of writing (Thank You Mr. Fierstein, that "bridge" joke actually had me laughing out loud) and to top it all off, a Davd-Arnold/John Barry score from a man who has had no previous Bond experience. Good job Sean Callery!

Matt

I like it, but I like Quantum of Solace even more.

Edited by 007FANATIC, 05 May 2009 - 04:19 PM.

#45 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:27 PM

i loved the single player for everything or nothing. i feel like it is the only game to come close to feeling like the movies. it felt very polished and the combat and shooting was all done very well. it also helped having the actual actors from the movies as well as willem dafoe, shannon elizabeth, and heidi klum to make it feel even more like a film.

when from russia with love came out it was kind of disappointing for me because it just felt stiff to me compared to everything or nothing. probably because that movie didnt really translate well into an action game. i definitely feel everything or nothing is underrated and one of the better games electronic arts has released.

#46 007FANATIC

007FANATIC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

Matt

I agree. It was an excellent game. I like it more than Nightfire, and FRWL. (I like it more than FRWL since Connery sounds terrible.) I think it had great writing, a great story, and Brosnan, tied for my 2nd favorite Bond, doing the voice work.
I also like the reference to Max Zorin.
Overall, it's my favorite Bond game. (I've heard GoldenEye for N64 is great, and I believe that, but I only played it once, and very briefly.)

My NEW favorite Bond game is Quantum of Solace.

#47 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:37 PM

Yeah, this game is easily underrated. People tend to forget that it's a game first and foremost and needs to be accessible to everyone. It was a great game and easily fit the Bond characters of either Moore or Brosnan. It was fun, I still play certain levels from time to time and I enjoyed the driving/motorcycle levels a lot.

#48 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:03 PM

I know some people do enjoy EON. I personally don't understand the appeal of games that play themselves, but I'm not knocking anyone. I like Nightfire a lot better, and even QOS. It has great gameplay and a story that, while mangled, can at least be taken seriously.

Just be thankful EON was made before QTEs were invented, or you'd probably be playing the whole thing with one hand.

At least Activision have improved on EONs basic mistakes (i.e crappy non-gameplay) even if QOS can hardly be called a success. Heres to the future!

One of the things I liked best about EON is that it was a 3rd Person Shooter, and personally i think 3rd person shooters work best for Bond, since you know exactly who you're playing as (in first person mode you could be anyone, and you're hindered by the lack of peripheral vision, that the human eye and 3rd person mode have in abundance).
I'd say the game easily beats Nightfire, QOS and the rest, the best Bond game since TND and GE.
The scripting in EON is far less pervasive and irritating than that in QOS, at least you can drive around New Orleans and machine gun bars.
Here's hoping for another great 3rd person shooter with vehicles, stealth and unarmed objectives.

Edited by The Shark, 23 June 2009 - 02:08 PM.