This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Does anyone else think EON was underrated?

47 replies to this topic

#1 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 05:25 AM

Personally, I can remember that when NightFire came out it was a huge deal everywhere, even amongst my non-Bond fan friends. Everyone was so anxiuos to play it...maybe its lack of "being finished" brought down EON's chances. Don't get me wrong, I liked NightFire too...

But seriously, EON had it all. Amazing graphics, an efficient combat/control scheme that I was NEVER frustrated with, a great job of writing (Thank You Mr. Fierstein, that "bridge" joke actually had me laughing out loud) and to top it all off, a Davd-Arnold/John Barry score from a man who has had no previous Bond experience. Good job Sean Callery!

Anyone else agree? EON = Way better than people say. My entire Point.

Matt

#2 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 05:40 AM

But seriously, EON had it all.  Amazing graphics, an efficient combat/control scheme that I was NEVER frustrated with, a great job of writing (Thank You Mr. Fierstein, that "bridge" joke actually had me laughing out loud) and to top it all off, a Davd-Arnold/John Barry score from a man who has had no previous Bond experience.  Good job Sean Callery!

View Post

EoN really did not have it all IMO. Multiplayer was really really sucky. Co-op too. I admit the contols worked out all right for me, gameplay wise, but it really would have been helpful, and I mean really helpful, if there was a jump action button instead of that dumb tuck-and-roll button.

...a great job of writing (Thank You Mr. Fierstein, that "bridge" joke actually had me laughing out loud)...

Personally, I disliked the writing a lot. I thought it seemed as if Feistein saw this game as an excuse to slack off. The best example I can think of is the part where that Russian bad guy (Russian bad guy... in New Orleans???) sees Bond in the cinematic and says, "Ah! Mr. Bond! You're just in time... to die!" Seriously, that is the most pathetic one liner ever. And was Feirstein responsable for that atrocious scene where Bond fires three shots of his P99 into a window where 003 is being interrogated, and then Dafoe turns around and says "You're going to have to try better than that! It's bullet-proof!"?

Before I rant any further and get my :) kicked by EoN enthusiasts or something, I'm gonna STFU right here.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 06:18 AM

Personally, I can remember that when NightFire came out it was a huge deal everywhere, even amongst my non-Bond fan friends.  Everyone was so anxiuos to play it...maybe its lack of "being finished" brought down EON's chances.  Don't get me wrong, I liked NightFire too...

But seriously, EON had it all.  Amazing graphics, an efficient combat/control scheme that I was NEVER frustrated with, a great job of writing (Thank You Mr. Fierstein, that "bridge" joke actually had me laughing out loud) and to top it all off, a Davd-Arnold/John Barry score from a man who has had no previous Bond experience.  Good job Sean Callery!

Anyone else agree?  EON = Way better than people say.  My entire Point.

Matt

View Post

From what I've often see by members on this site and other Bond and gaming sites, EoN is looked upon in pretty high regard.

#4 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 08:01 PM

Okay, okay.

1) About the multiplayer, it was something I fully expected when the game was in development. EoN was always promoted as being a 3rd person shooter, and traditionally 3rd person shooters focus more on their single-player game. Integrating a co-op mode into the single player story would have been too difficult, their approach was clever in crafting another plotline (no matter how horrible).

2) I'll admit the writing was cheesy in places, but come on - its a video game! By "amazing" I meant the writing was funny, and video games by nature will always be more humorous than the material they are drawn from. The "bridge" joke....you know that was funny....:)

3) For sure qwerty, I know the game was well received, I personally just think the single player was as fun as the original GoldenEye, and I thought it would be just a little more renowned. I just half-expected people to be talking about it more, but after it was released, the hype just sort of died....

Matt

Edited by MattofSteel, 12 December 2004 - 08:01 PM.

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 08:04 PM

3)  For sure qwerty, I know the game was well received, I personally just think the single player was as fun as the original GoldenEye, and I thought it would be just a little more renowned.  I just half-expected people to be talking about it more, but after it was released, the hype just sort of died....

View Post

Yeah, fair enough. Perhaps it's the "curse" of GoldenEye 64, so that everything will and continue to be compared against it, so that Bond games now seem to be shunned away quicker. It also could be that EA quickly got into planning of GoldenEye: Rogue Agent.

#6 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 01:02 PM

I think it's more overrated than anything.

#7 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:23 PM

3)  For sure qwerty, I know the game was well received, I personally just think the single player was as fun as the original GoldenEye, and I thought it would be just a little more renowned.  I just half-expected people to be talking about it more, but after it was released, the hype just sort of died....

View Post

Yeah, fair enough. Perhaps it's the "curse" of GoldenEye 64, so that everything will and continue to be compared against it, so that Bond games now seem to be shunned away quicker. It also could be that EA quickly got into planning of GoldenEye: Rogue Agent.

View Post

I agree. It's like they took all this time to make sure EoN was really good, but then shoved it aside as if to say "wait to see what we have next." And in my opinion...."next" was fun, but not nearly as good.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 08:14 PM

[quote name='MattofSteel' date='13 December 2004 - 13:23'][quote name='Qwerty' date='12 December 2004 - 16:04'][quote name='MattofSteel' date='12 December 2004 - 15:01']3)

#9 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 08:53 PM

EON was a masterpiece! For me it took over being my fave Bond Game since the N64 GoldenEye. I mean... EON truly does live up to its name "Everything or Nothing" has everything. I can't get enough of this game even after beating it. EOn truly is THE Bond Game.

And yes, to answer the question of this thread: I am quite surprised there wasn

#10 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 10:22 PM

It would be okay if it wasn't for the targeting/shooting system. I HATE not being able to shoot wherever I wanted, and only being told what I could fire at.

#11 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 11:56 PM

It would be okay if it wasn't for the targeting/shooting system. I HATE not being able to shoot wherever I wanted, and only being told what I could fire at.

View Post

I totally agree. God dammit! :) :) :) That was one of the best things about Nightfire they totally scrapped; shooting at pots, pans, and chandelers and watching their reaction to your gunfire. I loved shooting at glass in Nightfire and watching it crumble to the ground- something that reminded me of Die Another Day. In Everything or Nothing... I COULDN'T EVEN SHOOT A GODDAMN FREAKIN' VASE!!!

#12 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 12:02 AM

The positive side of that would be

#13 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 01:23 AM

[quote name='Athena007' date='13 December 2004 - 16:53']EON was a masterpiece! For me it took over being my fave Bond Game since the N64 GoldenEye. I mean... EON truly does live up to its name "Everything or Nothing" has everything. I can't get enough of this game even after beating it. EOn truly is THE Bond Game.

And yes, to answer the question of this thread: I am quite surprised there wasn

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 03:32 AM

[quote name='Athena007' date='13 December 2004 - 19:02']The positive side of that would be

#15 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 03:52 AM

It's no GoldenEye 64, but it's definately underrated. It was a breath of fresh air after Agent Under Fire and Nightfire, both of which were horrible. As for writing, EoN had a few cheesy lines but nothing is worse than "In space, Mr. Bond, no one can hear you scream...except for me hahaha!"

#16 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 04:50 AM

I just read on MI6 that EON is currently outselling GE-Rouge Agent, even though EON has been out for almost a year now (although to be fair its cheaper, but that still says something about how little interest there seems to be in GE-RA by gamers).

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 12:00 PM

I just read on MI6 that EON is currently outselling GE-Rouge Agent, even though EON has been out for almost a year now (although to be fair its cheaper, but that still says something about how little interest there seems to be in GE-RA by gamers).

View Post

Not too surprising. We have a Quick News link about the ranking of GERA compared to the other games that were out when it came out, could have been better.

#18 The Beast

The Beast

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:06 PM

EoN is actually the game, that made me a huge Bond fan. Yeah, really, don't laugh! And strangely, I wasn't all that delighted as I am now, when I played it for the first time. It was hard, controls are way to difficult, don't know where to go, what to do...
But this is the only game in the world, that fives me something new EVERY time I play it. And lemme tell ya, I finished it like 50 times, if not more. Controls are perfect. They let you use all needed moves for the situation. Easy, rich and very comfortable. I feel myself a James Bond. And I feel myself in a real James Bond movie. Graphics is great. Nothing to say here. Pierce is nearly alive, much better that Connery in "From Russia with Love". Oh yes, Pierce. He's the man here. The only the greatest James Bond.
Scenario is ok. At least it's not based on another movie, it's original and it has alot of nice details from previous movies.
Music is stunning. Great job, Sean Collery.
Multi-what? Never liked cooperative games, so I don't give a damn about it.
And by the way, not only Pierce is there, there's also nearly the whole team! I dunno where Sam Bond is though...
Anyway, I'm a gamer and I play nearly all the modern hits. And lemme tell ya, this game is the best thing that happend to me in the videogame world ever. Too bead it would never happen again, since Pierce is not a Bond anymore. Well, they brought back Connery, why not Pierce sometime later, eh? I'll keep my hopes up.

#19 Darksideoftheschwartz

Darksideoftheschwartz

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

I don't think it was underrated. Xplay gave it a 4/5

#20 Golden Gun-E

Golden Gun-E

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:43 AM

Xplay gives it a 4....................out of 5 :tup:

#21 Alec_Trevelyan

Alec_Trevelyan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:52 AM

I don't think it was underrated, but it sure was an excellent game. I really enjoyed it.

#22 00Nothing

00Nothing

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 392 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:24 PM

It's the best Bond game EA have done in my opinion. Slick, glossy and great looking, not to mention music from Sean Callery, who also does a great job on the best show on television, plus none of the cast phone in their performances, they're all great and how can you forget the first appearance of Jaws since MR. How can anyone hate this game? It's positively great and as for all this talk of cheesy lines/bad dialouge, it's a video game, it's not meant to be Shakespeare.

#23 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:58 PM

I got a lot more game time out of this game than the other PS games. I love to play the motor cycle levels over and over again. You have to admit that when Bond jumps off the cliff trying to catch Serena, that was pretty ingenious. It reminded me of an old school Nintendo game but with updated graphics. Great fun!
With Bond having to win a car race to have dinner with Diavolo.. to me that seems right out of a Gardner novel. Great story, great girls, great song.

#24 iexpectu2diemrbond

iexpectu2diemrbond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:48 AM

I enjoyed playing EON very much....I think the "bondness" in the game translated extremely well...One of the best games I have played in years!

#25 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:38 PM

It's the best bond game I've played so far. It's original(in a sense of the story), true enough to the movies, great cast introducing Bond gamers with the movie cast for the first time + another great actor as the villain.

Now, that I've played "From Russia With Love" twice and started playing EoN again, I was amazed how great it really was.I like the feel, the sound & the graphics of this game. In a way, it was more realistic than FRWL,(you leave corpses behind) and the camera work was better.
The soundtrack was great too.

Now, in some cases FRWL did things better, but in some cases the game took few steps back. Good thing, which I would have liked to see in EoN was the hand-to-hand combat from FRWL.

But EoN was the best bond experience on the consoles, imo. Challenging great, genuine adventure set in the world of bond & the fift and missing Brosnan's bond.

#26 Gothamite

Gothamite

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 10:44 AM

I just started playing EoN for the first time the other day, having already finished FRWL and I couldn't get over how much better it was. More levels, more diversity and better gameplay. The only things I prefer in FRWL is the Sean Connery skin (but not neccessarily the voiceover) and the shooting system. Compared EoN, everything sucks in FRWL.

This is the first and only game I have ever played to truly make me feel like 007. Let's get Daniel Craig into a game like this! (Only minus the gadgets and silliness!)

#27 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:20 AM

I think it's fairly rated. Most people seem to love it. Some don't like certain things about it, and some just don't like it at all.

I personally love it. The multiplayer isn't the best (although the co-op missions are fun), but the single player mode is the best on any Bond game for PS2, X-Box, and Gamecube. :)

#28 SeanDalton77

SeanDalton77

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:33 AM

Its the best Bond game since goldeneye007 its great and the closest thing to playing a Bond movie

#29 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:12 PM

It's definitely a good game, although the concept of "Bond sense" is pretty comical to me (not unimaginative, though), and after Speed 2, I just have a difficult time with Willem Dafoe as a megalomaniac villain. And the level in the ruins is [censored]ing hard as crap. Other than that, love it!!

#30 mrsbonds_ppk

mrsbonds_ppk

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:23 PM

I loved this game. Yes, I think it was underrated. I liked the whole Max Zorin understudy thing. I did like Bond Sense even though it wasn't anything spectacular. The third Person shooter was great. I agree 00Twelve that ruins part was very hard I don't know how long it took me to pass it. Strategy...Strategy.