40 replies to this topic

#1 dajman_007

dajman_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:22 AM

I haven't read a Gardner novel yet and I was just wondering how you guys thought they compare to Benson and Fleming.
Oh, and flood control SUCKS when you're in a hurry!!! :)

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:40 AM

I prefer Fleming and Benson, but, still, some of Gardner

#3 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:05 AM

Personally, I'm not a big fan of him. I thought Licence Renewed was good but For Special Services left a sour taste in my mouth. Everyone seems to like it, I just thought it was plain weird. Icebreaker is quite readable as is most of Role of Honor, the beginning seemed a little rushed. Nobody Lives Forever just seemed like a Robert Ludlum novel to me, which I didn't appreciate. I read a few scattered books after the first five, none of them really jumped out at me. Gardner is a capable author, I suppose and I like elements from his stories but overall I would take Benson anyday and Fleming or Markham well over either of them.

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:50 AM

I like Gardner's novels, at least most of them. I'd rank him pretty much on par with Benson and Amis, and a bit better than Wood, depending on the book.

Some of my favorites of his are:

Licence Renewed
For Special Services
Icebreaker
Nobody Lives Forever
Never Send Flowers
SeaFire

#5 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 01:04 PM

I pretty much agree with Qwerty on this. I love all his work though, not just his Bond work. The Boysie Oakes series, for one, is a great series.
His Bond work is equally good (as Benson and perhaps almost Fleming himself) IMO and I rate both Gardner and Benson very highly, along side each other.
Obvously John's had a lot more experience than any of the others authors, as he completes his 51st book quite soon. But I'd recommend you read all of Gardner's.

My favourites include: Licence Renewed, For Special Services, Icebreaker, Role Of Honour, Death Is Forever, Never Send Flowers and Seafire. I reckon Gardner got better with Bond as he got on, dispite what many may think.

#6 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 11:30 AM

I reckon Gardner got better with Bond as he got on, dispite what many may think.

View Post

I'll second that, I think he settled into a style a bit more as time went on. I'm still not a huge fan of him though. He's worth reading if you have nothing better to do.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 02:21 PM

I think he did very well at the beginning, kind of got into a lull near the middle and then had a few good books at the end of his reign. It was really a rollercoaster ride from book to book with him often.

#8 The Silver Beast

The Silver Beast

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 03:51 PM

I think he did very well at the beginning, kind of got into a lull near the middle and then had a few good books at the end of his reign. It was really a rollercoaster ride from book to book with him often.

View Post

I would agree with that assessment.

#9 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:59 PM

License Renewed to Nobody Lives Forever are all very good IMO. After that it is much more hit or miss.

One late one that I love is Win, Lose or Die. License Renewed is good but dated.

If you've read all the Flemings then by all means give Gardner a try.

#10 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 05:10 PM

The three or four first books are not bad. The remaining is rather dull. Awfull plots, too many double triple crosses, fuzzy characters!
I don't like his Bond books an no more his other books like Boatsie Oakes. I find them boring. I read them in french and some in english. Same effect to me in both languages!! ;-)

Edited by Cesari, 15 November 2004 - 05:14 PM.

#11 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 06:30 AM

Ah well, each to their own. :)

Edited by James Boldman, 16 November 2004 - 06:30 AM.

#12 Zing!

Zing!

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:33 PM

I have only read nine of Gardner's 007 books so far (plus his two novelizations), but based on what I've read, I would rank Gardner below Amis, but quite a ways above Benson. Gardner - as others have pointed out - is a perfectly capable writer who can weave an interesting plot. But therein lies the problem... "interesting plot" does not do Fleming's James Bond character justice. Fleming's Bond often found himself in an outrageous plot, gloriously described in minute detail. Wonderfully overblown, and yet so darn entertaining. Gardner's Bond books are simply spy novels - and that's okay - for what it's worth. As I've stated in another thread, I find Benson to be "Bond-Lite." His books are too formulaic and follow the EON mold too closely, without the verbose wit of Fleming, nor the plotting of Gardner.

#13 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 02:10 AM

I appreciate Gardner more than Benson. Gardner's plotting wasn't the best ever, but at least his prose was more convincing than Benson's horrible movie-adaptation style of writing. The one Gardner I would say that's really worth a read is Nobody Lives Forever. Give it a try - I had a LOT of fun with it.

#14 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 07:24 PM

I like Gardner's Bond novels though I do think he tneded to rely on double and triple crosses too much as well as using pretty much the same description every time someone was shot in the head. That doesn't really bother me but it just sorta stands out after you've read all the books. :)

As for favorites, I enjoyed everything from For Special Services to Nobody Lives Forever, Death is Forever and Brokenclaw.

#15 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 08:58 PM

I like Gardner's Bond novels though I do think he tneded to rely on double and triple crosses too much as well as using pretty much the same description every time someone was shot in the head.  That doesn't really bother me but it just sorta stands out after you've read all the books. :)

As for favorites, I enjoyed everything from For Special Services to Nobody Lives Forever, Death is Forever and Brokenclaw.

View Post

I've read the first four and half of Nobody Lives Forever and noticed those repetitions, also. The double and triple crosses really become tedious after a while, especially in Icebreaker, which a lot of people here seem to enjoy a lot.

#16 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:00 PM

[quote name='Turn' date='13 December 2004 - 15:58'][quote name='Genrewriter' date='13 December 2004 - 19:24']I like Gardner's Bond novels though I do think he tneded to rely on double and triple crosses too much as well as using pretty much the same description every time someone was shot in the head.

#17 IanFleming007

IanFleming007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:25 PM

Gardner's books are very good, not as good as Fleming's (Some are....), but way better then Benson. Gardner had his ups and downs, but his plots were alot better than Benson's "Virus/Bomb destroys world, two countries at war". Gardner's books had a nice mix of literary/movie Bond (working against retraints from publishing company...Benson also had this problem) unlike Benson who's books were pretty much a screenplay of sorts for a new Bond film.

#18 HawkEye007

HawkEye007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 358 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:41 PM

Honestly, I think that the John Gardner books should be looked at for material for Bond films more than Benson's. I really like what both authors did with their respective turns on the series. But, Benson novels feel more like the recent, big budget actions fests the last few movies have been. In my opinion the Gardner novels reflect some grittiness of the Fleming novels and the earlier novels.

Back to the original question though. I like Gardner better than Benson in many respects because his books have a little more variety than Benson. Gardner's are up there with Fleming's, but not at the top of course.

#19 JKD68

JKD68

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:17 PM

I read the Gardner novels as they came out. I loved the first 8, but when I got to Brokenclaw, I lost interest halfway through it & never picked up another Gardner after that. Nobody ever talks about Scorpius for some reason. I think it's one of his better ones. Haven't read Benson, but if I do, Zero minus 10 or HTTK would be the only ones I would have any interest in. I read somewhere that those are his 2 most literary/non-cinematic books.

#20 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:27 PM

I quite like the Gardner books. I definitely wouldn't rank them with Fleming and many of them are more akin to Tom Clancy but they definitely are worth a read.

Licence Renewed is a pretty good place to start but I wouldn't call it his best. It has it's moments but there are a few dull patches where you'll probably stop reading.

For Special Services is a cracking read and I myself shot through it in a few hours. Highly recommended - ie. if you read only one, make sure it's this one.

Icebreaker - Hmmm, I have mixed opinions on this. It's just not the classic people claim it is. Like Licence Renewed, it has it's good spots but other bits are just dull. In fact, I don't think I ever finished this one. I think I got about three quarters through it and then gave up. I'll probably give it another go one day but it's really not all that great.

#21 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:27 PM

Welcome to CBn! I would check out all of the Benson ones if you could, there's quite a variety of them. Many different plots.

#22 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:50 AM

the only thing I don't like about Gardner are his titles.....

I can't remember which book plot goes with which title.... which I don't find to be a problem with Fleming or Benson

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 02:01 AM

the only thing I don't like about Gardner are his titles.....

I can't remember which book plot goes with which title.... which I don't find to be a problem with Fleming or Benson

View Post

The worst titles in the cannon by far, but looking at some of the interviews with him, they could have been much worse.

#24 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 06:38 PM

For Special Services left a sour taste in my mouth.  Everyone seems to like it, I just thought it was plain weird. 

View Post

Agreed. It's entertaining stuff, but for me it becomes a little too bizarre and overblown towards the end.

Still, it was nice to see the first three Gardners back in print in an omnibus edition last year. I hope Coronet will republish more of his books (and a Benson omnibus would be great, too).

#25 JackLordIsFelix

JackLordIsFelix

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 07:38 PM

If you liked The World Is Not Enough, you'll like Gardner's Bond novels. TWINE has the same elements: a "sensitive" Bond, double-crosses, slow pace. Personally, I hated TWINE; I do not have quite the same antipathy towards Gardner's novels -- more of an indifference.

#26 Snake

Snake

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 09:01 PM

Scorpius surely didn't seem like TWINE, I didn't know how it felt. But Bond seemed more Dalton like. Seeing it was made in 1988. TLD was made in 1987.

#27 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 09:06 PM

[quote name='Loomis' date='16 January 2005 - 13:38'][quote name='ComplimentsOfSharky' date='9 November 2004 - 02:05']For Special Services left a sour taste in my mouth.

#28 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 01:00 PM

Better than Benson (at least Gardner knows how to write and his prose is not as jaw-droppingly bad as Benson's), but not as good as Fleming.

My two favorite Gardner novels are ICEBREAKER and NO DEALS, MR BOND.

#29 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 01:07 PM

Better than Benson (at least Gardner knows how to write and his prose is not as jaw-droppingly bad as Benson's), but not as good as Fleming.

My two favorite Gardner novels are ICEBREAKER and NO DEALS, MR BOND.

View Post

Yes, Gardner writing ability will always set him ahead of Benson. Benson's plots were - sort of - better than Gardners (certainly post Barbarossa) but so horrible to read in a unique form of bad, uneducated adolscent English. At least Gardner new how to structure a sentence and what to pu tin it even if, msot of the time, it had nothing to do with James Bond

#30 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 01:44 PM

At least Gardner new how to structure a sentence and what to pu tin it even if, msot of the time, it had nothing to do with James Bond

View Post

It would be too shabby of me to point out the irony in the presentation of that view.

But then I am shabby.

I revel in it.