44 replies to this topic

#1 luciusgore

luciusgore

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1032 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 04:22 PM

Brosnan backs the idea of Colin Farrell being James Bond at an awards ceremony in Ireland. (Previously, I think, he had simissed Farrell.) And Farrell's schedule isn't too full in 2005. He's only shooting one movie, and I don't think he's even the star. Could he be James Bond? It would be a hot career move because he's already starring in Caesar, hitting screens soon. He doesn't appear to have any other major roles on his plate at the moment.

#2 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 05:21 PM

I lost a great deal of respect for Pierce after reading that article...

When I think of Colin Farrel as Bond, I think of XXX with an accent.

#3 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 05:30 PM

Colin Farrell is actually portraying Alexander "The Great" in Oliver Stone's Alexander, not Caesar.

#4 rdh007

rdh007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 05:56 PM

To answer the question: No.

#5 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 06:08 PM

He is not an actor. He is someone whose 15 minutes of fame are just about up after Alexander flops big time.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 06:12 PM

It's far too early to tell at this point. Who knows, perhaps they have already narrowed down the list to a select few actors and Colin Farrell may not even be on it. This article is basically just saying Pierce Brosnan backs the idea of him as James Bond. It's nothing set in stone yet.

#7 luciusgore

luciusgore

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1032 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 07:48 PM

Alexander, Caesar, what's the difference

#8 Adrian Carlisle

Adrian Carlisle

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 08:39 PM

Didn't Brosnan say a few months ago that although he thought Farrell was a good actor he just wasn't the right guy to play Bond?

#9 narrows101

narrows101

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 09:14 PM

Hugh Jackman was on Bob Costas' entertainment show back in May promoting Van Helsing (hysterical interview BTW), and Bob showed Hugh a clip of Pierce on his show. Bob asked Pierce who he thought would be a good Bond and the first name Pierce mentioned was Hugh. He mentioned another name (I think it was Clive Owen) but he said Hugh first. Hugh was very humbled. Now I wonder what changed Pierce's mind. BTW - Colin Farrell is also Irish, and was born in 1976 so that would fit into the "going younger" area if that's true.

#10 Prav_007

Prav_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 09:22 PM

Colin Farell is a pretty good actor, and could portray anyone with acceptable decency. And good point narrow, he's mere irish.

#11 Gabe Vieira

Gabe Vieira

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3873 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 09:52 PM

View Post

Alot. Anyways, call me crazy, but Colin Farrell might make a good Bond. Young, Irish, good looking, not a half-bad actor- could work.

#12 Ozzel

Ozzel

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 11:07 PM

I lost a great deal of respect for Pierce after reading that article...

View Post

I thought the very same thing. :)

#13 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 11:36 PM

What a terrible idea. Farrell is a classless, dumb-looking, pug-nosed thug. And frankly, I'm getting sick of Brosnan dominating the news. I wish Eon would just come out and say he's finished, and that he's an outsider at this point.

Does this man look like James Bond?

http://images.usatoday.com/life/gallery/britney/colin-farrell.jpg

Edited by Pussfeller, 31 October 2004 - 11:37 PM.

#14 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 01 November 2004 - 08:54 AM

Can't Pierce be allowed to to suggest who might make a good Bond? :)

#15 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 01:09 PM

Can't Pierce be allowed to to suggest who might make a good Bond? :)

View Post

Given that his suggestions have included Paul Bettany and Colins Farrell and Salmon, I'd say that, no, he shouldn't be allowed to suggest who might make a good Bond.

And given that Roger Moore has championed his son Geoffrey, Ewan McGregor and Cuba Gooding, Jr., it might be an idea for us to adopt a policy of taking no notice of a former Bond actor's views on potential Bond actors. :)

#16 luciusgore

luciusgore

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1032 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 01:20 PM

I don't want Colin, but my take is that he has the role. Brosnan initially dissed him in it. Now that Brosnan is suddenly certain he will not be back, he is graciously saying that Colin is his own personal first pick? The reason: Colin has the role. His schedule is open. They probably did some market research and found that teenage girls would go see a Bond film with Colin in the lead. Older Bond fans will still go too. So there you have it. Colin's shooting schedule is wide open. I'm sure Sony is happy to have a "name" star in the role, and are hoping it does Bourne-level box office.

#17 HawkEye007

HawkEye007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 358 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 02:41 PM

I agree with lucius, Colin Farrell would not be my number 1 choice to play 007, but all signs point to him being a major contender for the role, possibly even already having the role. If EON and Sony want to go the younger route with the next Bond hoping to compete with Bourne, Farrell is probably a good pick. Young girls would go see it because of his hot young star status, and I know speaking as a long time Bond fan I would go see it too just because I am a fan of the series. Of course I would prefer to see Hugh Jackman or Adrian Paul in the role, but hey whatever EON and Sony wants I am sure they will get.

#18 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 02:49 PM

Pussfeller,
To answer your "Does this look like the man who should play 007?", take a look again. I'm thinkin YES!!!!! Mind you this is just a joke. And Loomis, as to the "And given that Roger Moore has championed his son Geoffrey, Ewan McGregor and Cuba Gooding, Jr., it might be an idea for us to adopt a policy of taking no notice of a former Bond actor's views on potential Bond actors." I say whats wrong with a black Bond, they created a black Felix Leiter, why not? First one is a joke, second, curious

Todd

#19 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 02:55 PM

[mra]Pierce said recently that he saw an actor in a film that he thought would be perfect for Bond. Perhaps Brosnan saw Troy (or some other Farrell film and changed his mind about him. Doesn

#20 HawkEye007

HawkEye007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 358 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 03:00 PM

Collin Farrell wasn't in Troy. The only rumored Brosnan replacement in Troy was Eric Bana.

#21 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 03:04 PM

Collin Farrell wasn't in Troy.  The only rumored Brosnan replacement in Troy was Eric Bana.

View Post

[mra]Oh right, I

#22 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 03:15 PM

:)

#23 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 03:58 PM

And Loomis, as to the "And given that Roger Moore has championed his son Geoffrey, Ewan McGregor and Cuba Gooding, Jr., it might be an idea for us to adopt a policy of taking no notice of a former Bond actor's views on potential Bond actors." I say whats wrong with a black Bond, they created a black Felix Leiter, why not?

View Post

Why not? Because Fleming created Bond as a white man and he's been a white man ever since, in dozens of novels, films, comic books, video games, etc. over a 50-year period. I think that if you're going to change Bond into a black man you'd better have a very good reason indeed after all this long history of white Bondage.... and I for one don't see what that very good reason might be.

Anyway, I believe there have been several threads on CBn discussing the black Bond issue. I dug up the following:

http://debrief.comma...topic=9467&st=0

#24 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 04:10 PM

View Post

Centuries.

Continents.

Civilisations.

#25 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 11:16 PM

I hate Colin Farrel. Even more when I found out he's playing Crockett in Miami Vice: The Movie, alongside Jamie Foxx (Rico Tubbs).

If he so much as taps the role of 007, I pray that his next role will be as the piniata at the next Hell's Angel's get-together party.

Edited by 00-FAN008, 01 November 2004 - 11:20 PM.

#26 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 11:32 PM

There seems to be a new news story on this every hour.

#27 RJJB

RJJB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 475 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 01:46 AM

It seems obvious to me that naming an actor to take over the Bond role is just another way of getting some publicity for the actor making the suggestion. The re-cast is a popular topic and what better way to keep your own name in the public awareness than by voicing your opinion, especially when you have nothing to do with it, as Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan do.

#28 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 02:37 AM

Although my initial reaction to the mention of Colin Farell as the next Bond was a big thumbs down, I have taken some time to reflect. I quite liked what he did with his role in Phone Booth. And, although I am way underwhelmed by his party-boy antics, he might just be able to pull off the role of 007. Stranger things have happened.

#29 kovit123

kovit123

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:35 AM

Some months ago Brosnan said he opposed Farrell as Bond and now he for Farrell. Has Brosnan gone flip flop? With all do respect for Brosnan, I think he took many shots to his head and have his brain check. Farrell is not a right actor to play Bond, because he likes to swear a lot on public TV, and he's too expensive more times than Jackman. Brosnan is too bias for betting a fellow Irishman. THUMBS DOWN ON FARRELL! :)

THUMBS UP FOR JACKMAN FOR BOND! :)

#30 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:45 AM

[quote name='kovit123' date='2 November 2004 - 03:35']Some months ago Brosnan said he opposed Farrell as Bond and now he for Farrell. Has Brosnan gone flip flop? With all do respect for Brosnan, I think he took many shots to his head and have his brain check. Farrell is not a right actor to play Bond, because he likes to swear a lot on public TV, and he's too expensive more times than Jackman. Brosnan is too bias for betting a fellow Irishman. THUMBS DOWN ON FARRELL!

Edited by 00-FAN008, 02 November 2004 - 03:49 AM.