31 replies to this topic

#1 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:21 AM

I finally understand why Bond used that line in Licence To Kill. The other day in English class I saw A Farewell To Arms by Hemingway on a shelf. I never knew that book existed. Did you all get Bond's "joke" when watching Licence To Kill?

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:28 AM

Got it myself the first or so time watching the movie, I just knew about Hemmingway earlier.

#3 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:29 AM

Yep. In fact, that house, where Bond is taken to M, was Ernest Hemmingway's house.

#4 007Travis

007Travis

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:35 AM

Yep.  In fact, that house, where Bond is taken to M, was Ernest Hemmingway's house.

View Post

It sure is. One Bond location I can say I've been to. It's a neat place.

#5 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:36 AM

I finally understand why Bond used that line in Licence To Kill. The other day in English class I saw A Farewell To Arms by Hemingway on a shelf. I never knew that book existed. Did you all get Bond's "joke" when watching Licence To Kill?

View Post

Great topic Righty my friend!. :)

I watched a film the other day, and that same balcony appeared, but I cannot for the life of me remember the movie.

It was a great scene, but if you consider how high it is, Bond would of broken his legs jumping at that height. :)

But Bond films are like that, and keeping your intellect can only a good thing amongst absurdity. :)

Cheers Mate,

Ian

#6 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:39 AM

,20 October 2004 - 20:29]
Yep.  In fact, that house, where Bond is taken to M, was Ernest Hemmingway's house.

View Post

I knew that. That is why the joke makes sense once I found out that Hemingway wrote a book called A Farewell To Arms.

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 21 October 2004 - 02:33 AM

This has been covered before in these forums, but it's always interesting to bring up again.

Would Connery's Bond - or any of the others for that matter - have made that comment?

#8 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 02:46 AM

Good question, BC.

Frankly, I can't imagine any of the other Bonds in the whole scene, let alone uttering that single line.

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 21 October 2004 - 02:57 AM

Well, it's not all that far from Bond's resignation in On Her Majesty’s Secret Service really, except Lazenby's Bond would've called M a "monument" to his face this time round.

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 03:11 AM

I thought you could actually see a plate saying Hemmingway House on the screen as well, but I would have to check.

#11 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 03:13 AM

Pardon me.

I'd forgotten all about poor Laz. General-movie-going-public syndrome.

Yeah, I could see him there. Can't imagine Connery, Moore or Brosnan, though.

#12 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 03:14 AM

I thought you could actually see a plate saying Hemmingway House on the screen as well, but I would have to check.

View Post

I'm pretty sure too.

I can't say I really paid much attention to the line the first few times I saw the movie, but I've been aware of the book's existance for a while.

#13 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 03:20 AM

I'll need to check again, but I'm sure there's a sign out front, and the "goons" lead Bond past it to go through the gate leading into the grounds of the house.

#14 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 12:37 PM

[mra]The polydactyl cats were what clued me in that it was Hemingways

#15 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:16 PM

I got it immediately when I saw the film. I remember thinking few others would get it, and it kind of struck me as yet another thing people would hold against the Dalton Bond as being too much of an inside joke. Not a great line, but I appreciate it because some thought went into it. I think some of the other Bonds would have made an easy wisecrack about the cats or something.

#16 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 02:18 PM

I got it immediately when I saw the film. I remember thinking few others would get it, and it kind of struck me as yet another thing people would hold against the Dalton Bond as being too much of an inside joke. Not a great line, but I appreciate it because some thought went into it. I think some of the other Bonds would have made an easy wisecrack about the cats or something.

View Post

Like wise here.I recognised it as soon as I saw the house and cats and when TD said those lines I knew what the reference was.I remember thinking not everyone would get it,though it was a more appropriate line for Dalton than a jokey one.

#17 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 01:14 AM

There is a plaque outside the gate of Hemingway's house. I think it says:

Historical Monument
Hemingway House

The "joke" wouldn't have made sense if they didn't let the audience know it was Hemingway's house. I knew it was Heminggway's house but I didn't know about his book and thats why I didn't get the joke at first.

#18 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 01:50 AM

I thought there had been press reports at the time that the Hemingway House was to be used in the movie.

#19 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:10 AM

I had always seen the plaque, and had heard of "Farewell to Arms", and figured Hemingway had probably wrote it.

One of the deeper bits of Bond humour.

#20 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:15 AM

You have to have a degree in English to get that "joke." James Bond is so sophisticated! Only a sophisticated person could make a cool "joke" like that.

#21 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:44 AM

Let's face it fellas, that line was a quote from Hemingway, but who the hell would of known it was spoken on his very own property?.

For those who knew it was Hemingway's property, well done, but how did you know?, and would you of known who that quote was made by anyway?.

Cheers,

Ian

#22 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:47 AM

Do they speak about it on the documentary?

#23 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:51 AM

Do they speak about it on the documentary?

View Post

Yes, they do if I remember correctly Qwerty!. :)

#24 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:18 AM

Let's face it fellas, that line was a quote from Hemingway, but who the hell would of known it was spoken on his very own property?.

For those who knew it was Hemingway's property, well done, but how did you know?, and would you of known who that quote was made by anyway?.

Cheers,

Ian

View Post

I don't understand the confusion here. There is a big sign in the film identifying it as the Hemingway House and far from needing to have read huge amounts, or anything for that matter, one only needs to know that a book with that title exists, written by Ernest Hemingway, which is just general knowledge.

It's not that good a joke, although it probably is marginally more sophisticated than a double-taking camel.

#25 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 12:58 PM

There are just some things that everyone should know about Hemingway.

1. He had a house in the Keys with polydactyl cats.
2. He had books called Farewell To Arms and Old Man And The Sea.
3. He committed suicide.
4. His granddaughter had breast implants done for the movie Star 80.

All basic information.

#26 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 01:17 PM

That was the way I knew about Hemingway -- studying him in my high school English class, with A Farewell To Arms being one of the titles.

There's a nice picture in the Making of Licence To Kill book showing Dalton reading The Old Man and the Sea surrounded by cats while on a break on during filming at the Hemingway house.

#27 Adrian Carlisle

Adrian Carlisle

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 12:46 AM

I knew it immediately because I had done a research paper on Hemingway in high school.

#28 Adrian Carlisle

Adrian Carlisle

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 12:50 AM

For those who knew it was Hemingway's property, well done, but how did you know?, and would you of known who that quote was made by anyway?

The sign, the cats they showed (the descendant's of Hemingway's cats roam the place today, and have five toes on their paws or something), and the joke sealed it.

I was just fortunate to have that knowledge though.

#29 RevolveR

RevolveR

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 03:38 AM

It's a great line. The book is good too if you haven't read it.

#30 Bill Tanner

Bill Tanner

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:35 AM

Would Connery's Bond - or any of the others for that matter - have made that comment?

View Post

There is a history of using quotations throughout the series, many of which are more obscure than the Hemingway. You don't need an English degree for these, they're all fairly well-known reworkings of famous quotations. We pooled our knowledge and collected a few over at AJB:

In Moonraker - Drax: "To lose one parent ... may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness." a slight reworking of a quote from The Importance of being Earnest

In FRWL, Bond says, "Once more into the breach," which is from Henry V. Also, Blofeld quotes La Rochefocault (sp?) in DAF: "Humility is the worst form of conceit."

There's Roger Moore's reworking of 'Speak now or forever hold your peace' in TMWTGG, from the Christian marriage vows.

From GE: 'The pen is mightier than the sword' - 'Beneath the rule of men entirely great, The pen is mightier than the sword' Edward Butler-Lytton.[/i]

And of course there's the infamous: Die Another Day which Bond reworks and partially quotes to Graves. The original quote comes from "The Day of Battle," Poem 56 in A Shropshire Lad.

"For he who fights and runs away
May live to fight another day,
But he who is in battle slain
Can never rise and fight again."