33 replies to this topic

#1 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 04:16 PM

I don't know if someone established this before, but this very second I stumbled over the complete Moonraker score by John Barry.
I don't know if it's real, but it seems like it is.
The user who has it is called "Roy L Fuchs".

Tracklisting:

Bond arrives in Rio
Bond smells a rat
Cable car showdown 2
Cable car showdown
Centrifuge trainer
Close encounters of the third kind
Command Control center
Corrine and the safe
Corrine put down
Destroying globes
Drax estate
Drax shuttle launch
End titles
Freefall (rerecorded)
Gondola chase
Goodhead and Bond
Gunbarrel-hijacking-freefall
Landing-the pyramid-pet python
Main Title
Moonraker instrumental
Moonraker from Shaken and STirred
NASA prepares Shuttle Launch
Q Boat Chase
Space Shuttle Ballet
Station Stop and Space Laser Battle
Venini Glassworks-Dr. Goodhead

It's in alphabetical order, though.
I won't have the time to download it today, but you can try it. I'm really curious.

PS: same guy has the rejected score for Troy by Gabriel Yared. I mean the FULL tracks, not the ones published on Yared's site.

PPS: same guy has Arnold's full DAD score in high quality.

Edited by gkgyver, 06 October 2004 - 04:20 PM.

#2 Sir Charles

Sir Charles

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:30 PM

Where can one download this music, gkgyver?

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:53 PM

[mra]And can one do it legally? Because if you can

#4 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 07:23 PM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' date='6 October 2004 - 20:53'][mra]And can one do it legally? Because if you can

#5 TGO

TGO

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:37 PM

I just downloaded soulseek...and I cant connect! What do i do? And how do you use it?

Edited by TGO, 06 October 2004 - 08:39 PM.

#6 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 10:03 PM

First of all, I don't know IF this is in fact the real thing. It might very well be that this guy recorded it from the DVD with SFX.

And I can't post a link because I found it on Soulseek after searching for "Skidoos" from Arnold's complete DAD score. I found the above mentioned guy, called Roy L Fuchs, and found this by total accident.

And even if I had a link, I wouldn't post it (what are PMs there for? :)); I know very well that MGM wasn't comfortable with this site (and they still might be little miffed) and what they did.

Concerning Soulseek itself: it's really a matter of luck if you can access it or not. It is down very often, but once in a while, you get a shot :)

#7 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 10:23 PM

[quote name='stromberg' date='6 October 2004 - 14:23'][quote name='Mister Asterix' date='6 October 2004 - 20:53'][mra]And can one do it legally? Because if you can

#8 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 01:53 AM

Yeah, there are sound effects on this one; I have a few of the tracks. It's occassionally edited where the effects are too many in number.

It's better than nothing, though.

#9 Ozzel

Ozzel

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:33 AM

I found another expanded version of Moonraker on SoulSeek (shorter that this one), but it is has FX as well. It could even be the same tracks.

#10 agent007jb

agent007jb

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 05:37 AM

I am honored this score is getting some attention as I am the one who originally put it together. First to get some questions out of the way

1) It is from the rear channels of the DVD, which consisted mostly of John Barry's score and some soundeffects.

2) Yes I know my editing of the tracks sucks as well as volume changes that drastically occur.

Version history. Currently there are two versions of the Moonraker complete score floating on the p2p networks. The first was my 1.0 rip. It was a very rough edit just to see if I could do it and it consisted of 21 tracks. My intent was to go back and redo the score, however my hard drive crashed and I lost the original master wav files. So that 21 track version is what all it will ever been.

Months later I revisited Moonraker complete and did a brand new rip [called rip 2.0] and mix. This time I expanded the albums tracklisting to 31 tracks and brought in all the source music as well as other musical cues.

Why Did I Do It?

I was outraged at the decision not to expanded the Moonraker soundtrack when they had the chance in 2003. The shortest Bond soundtrack of them all, gets ignored, so I did it so I could have all of John Barry's music (sound effects or not). Gave my project to a few close friends and I guess it got its way on the internet. So there you have it.

My future intent is to go back and revisit Moonraker complete yet again, this time taking my original 2.0 rip and doing consistant volume changes. Since I matched the rear channel music with music from the soundtrack CD, the soundtrack CD always sounds better and more crisp.

It was fun project to a film deserving of an expanded. I guess you can say its better than nothing.

Track listing:
---------------------------------------

01.The Moonraker Overture
02.Gunbarrel-Hijacking-Freefall
03.Main Title
04.Drax Estate
05.Drax on Piano
06.Centrifuge Trainer
07.Corrine and The Safe
08.Corrine Put Down
09.Venini Glassworks-Dr Goodhead
10.Gondola Chase
11.San Marco Square
12.Laboratory Door Code
13.Bond Smells A Rat
14.Goodhead and Bond
15.Bond Arrives In Rio
16.Cable Car Showdown
17.Odd Couple
18.The Magnificent Bond
19.Q Boat Chase
20.Landing-The Pyramid-Pet Python
21.Drax Shuttle Launch
22.Space Shuttle Ballet
23.NASA Prepares Shuttle Launch
24.Station Stop and Space Laser Battle
25.Here Is To Us
26.Destroying Globes
27.End Titles
28.Freefall (rerecorded)
29.Moonraker (Instrumental)
30.Moonraker (Shaken and Stirred)
31.Command Control Center [BONUS]

Expanded Album Total Time 58:58
John Barry Music Total Time 37:34
Moonraker film Music Total Time 43:15

#11 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 11:59 AM

As you said it: better than nothing at all!

I couldn't quite believe that this score existed and nobody heard of it before.

#12 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 06:36 PM

For those of us just with the album here is what I posted at JWFan.

1. Moonraker - Main Title
2. Centrifuge (first 1:08 of "Centrifuge and Corrine Put Down")
3. Safe Cracking (last 1:33 of "Miss Goodhead Meets Bond")
4. Corrine Put Down (last 1:29 of "Centrifuge and Corrine Put Down")
5. Bond Smells a Rat
6. Miss Goodhead Meets Bond (first 1:17 of "Miss Goodhead Meets Bond")
7. Bond Arrives in Rio (first 1:06 of "Bond Arrives in Rio and Boat Chase")
8. Cable Car (first 1:56 of "Cable Car and Snake Fight")
9. Boat Chase (last 1:34 of "Bond Arrives in Rio and Boat Chase")
10. Bond Lured to Pyramid
11. Snake Fight (last 1:14 of "Cable Car and Snake Fight")
12. Flight into Space
13. Space Lazer Battle
14. Moonraker - End Title

Neil

#13 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 06:47 PM

It would be impossible for the complete moonraker score to even exist. While they were remastering the other bond scores for their 2003 release, a search was done to find the master session recordings from moonraker which was recorded in paris. Those recordings were either lost, or destroyed, cant remember which. So any hope of a real Moonraker exapnded / complete is out of the question. I wouldnt be surprised if we were to see a complete TWINE or Goldeneye sometime in the near future though, wouldn't surprise me as someone always has some sort of access to full scores, and always wants to make a quick buck on Ebay. Funny how some of these things slip out, I know that some of Hans Zimmers' brass samples slipped out while he was recording crimson tide, if those can slip out (as he usually keeps a sharp eye on all of the samples), then anything is possible.... except for moonraker.

Rich

#14 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 07:13 PM

Oops, I forgot about that little French problem ... :)

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 07:13 PM

Better than nothing indeed. I'm quite surprised and happy about this, as soundtrack wise, it's almost a crime on how short the CD is. Roughly 29 or 30 minutes I'd guess.

Very cool.

#16 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 11:28 PM

It would be impossible for the complete moonraker score to even exist.  While they were remastering the other bond scores for their 2003 release, a search was done to find the master session recordings from moonraker which was recorded in paris.  Those recordings were either lost, or destroyed, cant remember which.  So any hope of a real Moonraker exapnded / complete is out of the question.  I wouldnt be surprised if we were to see a complete TWINE or Goldeneye sometime in the near future though, wouldn't surprise me as someone always has some sort of access to full scores, and always wants to make a quick buck on Ebay.  Funny how some of these things slip out, I know that some of Hans Zimmers' brass samples slipped out while he was recording crimson tide, if those can slip out (as he usually keeps a sharp eye on all of the samples), then anything is possible.... except for moonraker.

Rich

View Post

I wouldn't say it's impossible for the Moonraker score to even exist. Okay, they were searching for the master tapes, but the only thing they could say is that they simply couldn't find them. It has quite often been the case that such material "disappeared" because of mislabeling or simply putting it in the wrong box (and maybe storing that box at an odd place etc.) You just can't listen to any tape and look into any box. It happens quite often that music that had been thought to have disappeared is suddenly found. I'm sure those guys did their best, but I still see a chance (well, yes, actually it has more to do with hope) that the tapes will be found one day.

#17 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:52 PM

I was at a Bond party a couple of years ago, and in the background was the Bond theme from "Moonraker" during the precredits. I didn't pay too much attention, but it seemed to me that this track was as clean as an independent track could be. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to ask who it belonged to or where it came from. For all I know, it was originally from agent007jb.

As for the lost or destroyed soundtrack from the recording session, it strikes me as uncharacteristically sloppy on the part of the production companies ("Moonraker" was a joint production between Eon and Les Productions Artistes Associes) to let such elements slip away. You start with the recording session, then the music editor uses a copy of the tracks to cut them into the production, then there's the final mix where certain levels are tweaked accordingly. And all this is lost??

Wow.

#18 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 08:12 PM

Nic Raine and the City Of Prague Orchestra made a recording of the "freefall" music from Moonraker for "Bond: Back in Action - Volume 2".

I'm not sure the music was lost. EMI did the music transfers for the Bond albums using everything that was in England. I'm not sure they even looked in France for the score to Moonraker. I think this is just a case of people jumping to conclusions.

At least I hope it is.

Neil

#19 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 08:19 PM

As with anything else these days, when in doubt, blame France.

#20 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 11 October 2004 - 01:48 AM

From what I understand of the expanded and/or remastered releases, nobody even thought to ask John Barry himself to see if he had the Moonraker tapes or knew where they could be found if he didn't.

#21 agent007jb

agent007jb

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 02:02 AM

As for the lost or destroyed soundtrack from the recording session, it strikes me as uncharacteristically sloppy on the part of the production companies ("Moonraker" was a joint production between Eon and Les Productions Artistes Associes) to let such elements slip away. You start with the recording session, then the music editor uses a copy of the tracks to cut them into the production, then there's the final mix where certain levels are tweaked accordingly. And all this is lost??

Wow.

View Post

In more cases than not, especially scores from the past. Recording sessions were thrown away, leaving only the soundtrack masters [in those days LP soundtracks] preserved. I think score collectors here will note probably the most famous case of a score being missplaced, which would be Jerry Goldsmiths fantastic score for Legend. The original scrips, original scoring sessions were lost. Only a 2 Track DAT tape exisits [after the audio mixer decided to keep it following studio reqrests to trash the masters] for which the terrific CD was pressed.

Sorry Just Doesn't Cut It, but its the way it is.

Scoring Session status on Bond films [not confirmed]

Dr. No - LOST
From Russia With Love - LOST
Moonraker - LOST
A View To A Kill - LOST

That is roughly what I could piece together from Lukas Kendal before he pretty much said he was tired of Bond music questions [which is why I think someone else should have done the project]

While the expanded versions are terrific, there is NO excuse why the rest of the scores could not get expanded. If it takes time to do Spy Who Loved Me or Octopussy, then DO IT. The remastered soundtracks, while impressive are still a half-assed job.

FUTURE.

The New MGM-DVD's. Interesting enought the early films will be mixed from Mono 1.0 to 5.1 mix. In order to do a 5.1 mix, i would assume they need...

Music Steams
Dialogue Streams
Sound Effects
Other Misc Streams

well, if they have those, especially for like say Dr. No, then that is a good sign that they have found the music streams and are using them. So hopefully they will then use those same streams for a future expanded CD. Unless these "GLORIOUS" 5.1 mix's will be just like the other remixed Bond films that really offer crappy 5.1 surround sound.

#22 Ozzel

Ozzel

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:43 AM

From what I understand of the expanded and/or remastered releases, nobody even thought to ask John Barry himself to see if he had the Moonraker tapes or knew where they could be found if he didn't.

View Post

Good point.

Anybody got John Barry's phone number handy? :)

#23 Albino

Albino

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 03:25 AM

Hey how do you find an individual file on SoulSeek without having to look through a user's files? I am looking for the score to Dante's Peak, as well as Moonraker (of course!).

#24 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 02:44 PM

That is roughly what I could piece together from Lukas Kendal before he pretty much said he was tired of Bond music questions [which is why I think someone else should have done the project]

While the expanded versions are terrific, there is NO excuse why the rest of the scores could not get expanded.  If it takes time to do Spy Who Loved Me or Octopussy, then DO IT.  The remastered soundtracks, while impressive are still a half-assed job.

I don't agree with you agent007jb.

i mean, and you know it, everything is a question of money. Kendall said that he would have loved to to more expanded soudntrack of the james bondd score. But he only had a certain amount of money and time. I think he is not the guy to judge.

#25 TGO

TGO

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 10:22 PM

I find it hard to believe that the masters for Moonraker and AVTAK are lost, specifically when 5.1 tracks were made for these two DVD's, which you cannot do with out masters, or another high quality source of the complete soundtrack. Someone needs to ask the DVD producers where they are.

Octopussy has been claimed as lost, BUT it only has a stereo track on its DVD. Fancy that.

Edited by TGO, 05 November 2004 - 10:25 PM.

#26 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 01:54 AM

I find it hard to believe that the masters for Moonraker and AVTAK are lost, specifically when 5.1 tracks were made for these two DVD's, which you cannot do with out masters, or another high quality source of the complete soundtrack. Someone needs to ask the DVD producers where they are.

Octopussy has been claimed as lost, BUT it only has a stereo track on its DVD. Fancy that.

View Post

It wouldn't surprise if for Moonraker and A View To A Kill they used the 70mm 6 track soundtrack as a source and not the individual stems.

Neil

#27 zerominus

zerominus

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

Just seen a Moonraker expanded score listed for sale with the following tracklist:

1. Gunbarrel (0:27)
2. Freefall Part I (0:33)
3. Freefall Part II (0:56)
4. Moonraker (Main Title) (3:02)
5. Arrival at Chateau Drax (0:47)
6. Entering the Centrifuge (0:48)
7. Centrifuge (1:10)
8. Corinne (1:01)
9. A Heart of Gold (1:33)
10. Corinne Put Down (1:10)
11. Venini Glassworks (1:11)
12. Gondola Chase (1:35)
13. Bond Smells a Rat (2:26)
14. Miss Goodhead Meets Bond (1:19)
15. Bond Arrives in Rio (1:08)
16. Cable Car (1:58)
17. Boat Chase (1:33)
18. Bond Lured to Pyramid (2:06)
19. Snake Fight (1:13)
20. Flight into Space (6:31)
21. NASA Launch (0:31)
22. Space Lazer Battle (2:48)
23. Destroying the Globes (0:37)
24. Moonraker (End Title) (2:39)
25. Suite (17:34)
26. Moonraker (Medley) (5:38)

It claims to be a 'non-pressed' promo. Does anyone have this? Is it just DVD rips?

#28 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:44 PM

It claims to be a 'non-pressed' promo. Does anyone have this? Is it just DVD rips?

Very bad DVD rips, bits of the Prague orchestra things and the original soundtrack tracks cut up. I wouldn't bother. The Suite is nice, though. Not from the film, but nice.

#29 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:55 AM

As strict as CBn is about copyright infringement--and rightly so--I'm surprised at how often unofficial releases, rips, bootlegs, etc. are freely discussed here. I would think that Bond copyright infringement would extend to the franchise's music recordings. I know the laws are more lax in Europe, but in the U.S., copyright violations are a serious thing.

Just an observation.

#30 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

As strict as CBn is about copyright infringement--and rightly so--I'm surprised at how often unofficial releases, rips, bootlegs, etc. are freely discussed here. I would think that Bond copyright infringement would extend to the franchise's music recordings. I know the laws are more lax in Europe, but in the U.S., copyright violations are a serious thing.

Just an observation.

As much as the thought police would I'm sure like to quell conversation as well, discussion about said contraband is still legal. I'm sure if that discussion led to a location, then the mods will come out.