21128 replies to this topic

#1 Goldfinger007

Goldfinger007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:40 AM

Like the "What Bond film have you seen today" thread but instead post your comments and reviews on the latest non-Bond movies you've seen.

The Bourne Supremacy
This film goes to show that with a decent script, a good story, and acceptable acting you don't need tons of special effects or an explosion every 5 seconds to make a film of this kind entertaining. The music and cinematography of the film were very good and I didn't get car sick because of the camera movements. The suspense and tension of the film never decline. I think this is the direction which James Bond films should take, with less explosions and a better script and storyline. Especially after Die Another Day (which I liked and started real well but the script and story fell apart in the second half). Overall The Bourne Supremacy is better than The Bourne Identity and I was really surprised to what happened to Marie at the beginning of the film. I did not expect that one at all.

Grade: B+

Fahrenheit 9/11
Well, yes, this documentary is hugely biased but whether you agree or not with his point of view this is still a brilliant documentary in which Michael Moore clearly gets his point across. I was hugely impressed with it. I liked the way the music was selected and how the lyrics of the music fit so well with what was going on in the documentary. I also liked how the documentary was divided and organized. I wasn

#2 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10374 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:54 AM

I saw 'Man on Fire' recently and I loved it. It got horrible reviews so maybe I'll consider it a guilty pleasure. I really want to see the 1987 Scott Glen original now(Man on Fire 2004 is a remake). I think it's vastly underrated. it's like another Tony Scott film set in Mexico called Revenge that's considered a poor film but I still love it. :)

Hero:I liked it alot.

The Punisher 2004: Very dissapointing. A bad film. I like Thomas Jane but the Punisher never gets anything going in terms of wreaking havoc. 'Man on Fire' is the best Punisher film of 2004.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85604 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:58 AM

I saw on Man on Fire as well. It was...okay. I liked the storyline, but it took a little too long to build up to.

And Christian Wagner editted it, (Die Another Day), ugh.

#4 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10374 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:08 AM

I could do without the innovative editing and camera work but I liked the film. I used to live in Mexico city(Isthmus :)) so I had a particular fascination with the story and locale...

#5 Goldfinger007

Goldfinger007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:10 AM

Sadly Man on Fire adresses one big problem we have in M

Edited by Goldfinger007, 21 September 2004 - 02:12 AM.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85604 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:12 AM

I could do without the innovative editing and camera work but I liked the film. I used to live in Mexico city(Isthmus :)) so I had a particular fascination with the story and locale...

Yes, on the whole, more positives than negatives I suppose.

#7 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10374 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:23 AM

Wow I hadn't noticed you're from Mexico city Goldfinger007! I loved 'Proof of Life' so 'Man on Fire' was naturally interesting to me. I haven't been there in 30 years. I was 2-4 years old when i lived there and my earliest memories are from my time there living in an area called 'Polanco'. My mother adored Mexico City. She was sooo depressed when we moved back to California... :)

Be safe Goldfinger... :)

#8 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9828 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:34 AM

I watched "Three Days of the Condor" this weekend.

Good stuff and almost very Jack Ryan given Redford's character.

Check it out. It's been remastered on DVD. :)

:)

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85604 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:50 AM

Certainly not a new film by any standards at all, but I watched Spellbound today. I must say, repeated viewings of that movie make it better and better. I like the cast, and the Dali sequence is of course a visual treat.

#10 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17078 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294� South, 150.93805� East)

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:10 AM

The Bourne Supremacy
This film goes to show that with a decent script, a good story, and acceptable acting you don't need tons of special effects or an explosion every 5 seconds to make a film of this kind entertaining. The music and cinematography of the film were very good and I didn't get car sick because of the camera movements. The suspense and tension of the film never decline. I think this is the direction which James Bond films should take, with less explosions and a better script and storyline. Especially after Die Another Day (which I liked and started real well but the script and story fell apart in the second half). Overall The Bourne Supremacy is better than The Bourne Identity and I was really surprised to what happened to Marie at the beginning of the film. I did not expect that one at all.

Grade: B+

Saw this yesterday for the first time and while I liked it it wasn't as good as the first one.

Thank God I didn't see it at the cinemas because even on a TV screen the "fly-in-the-room" photography is too frantic and detracts from the movie.

If the continuation novel was written with the view of continuing the film series I wonder why they didn't follow The Bourne Supremacy book more closely then?

#11 Matt O'S oo4

Matt O'S oo4

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:31 AM

Maybe they couldn't afford a steady cam....

Ack.

Yes, I also say this film. A good film for the most part, but I agree with the "being too frantic" comment.

Also, I saw Farenheit 9 1 1.

Hmmmm. MIchael Moore is an interesting gent. Although they technically classify this film as a "documentary" and for the most part it is, it doesn't exactly take a film student to realize that Mr. Moore, who does make some reasonable points, has made the film from his own biased perspective.

But, for the most part, I did enjoy it. Not necessary to see this one on the big screen, though. A good one for a dollar rental.

#12 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17078 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294� South, 150.93805� East)

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:22 AM

Hmmmm.  MIchael Moore is an interesting gent.  Although they technically classify this film as a "documentary" and for the most part it is, it doesn't exactly take a film student to realize that Mr. Moore, who does make some reasonable points, has made the film from his own biased perspective.

It should be called a mock-u-mentary.

Still, the documentary genre seems to be quite healthy in the cinemas these days, and that's a good thing.

#13 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5670 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:24 AM

Today I saw Memento and it was absolutley superb. Christopher Nolan is fast becoming one of my favourite directors. I loved Insomnia, I loved Memento and I absolutely can't wait to see Batman Begins.

The great thing about Memento is that it makes you question yourself and whether your own memory is as reliable as you think it. The technique of moving from the end back to th beginning is also inspired and yet having seen it all, things still aren't any clearer once the movie's over. A great film has you asking questions and this one certainly did that.

#14 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:26 AM

If the continuation novel was written with the view of continuing the film series I wonder why they didn't follow The Bourne Supremacy book more closely then?

"The Bourne Supremacy" wasn't written to continue the film series - it was first published in 1986, even before the Richard Chamberlain TV adaptation of "The Bourne Identity" was made.

By "the continuation novel", I presume you're thinking of this year's "The Bourne Legacy" by Eric Van Lustbader. Well, that was penned to continue the literary series, although I'm sure the film rights have been sold and that we'll some day see Matt Damon starring in a movie called THE BOURNE LEGACY.

#15 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:03 AM

DVD:

STAR WARS EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE
As a film, this is so-so (but very entertaining if you're in the right mood). As a phenomenon, well, let's just say that movie history would have turned out very differently without this picture. Mindblowing image and sound quality on this new DVD, and never mind what the purists say: the new additions of creatures, special effects, etc. are great fun (if only Lucas had removed the very '70s moustaches and sideburns sported by some of the rebels). Oh, and does John Williams' score contain some of the best music ever written for a film?

PLAYTIME
Jacques Tati's 1967 masterpiece, now looking fantastic on DVD. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062136/

THE GEISHA HOUSE
An amazing piece of work from BATTLE ROYALE director Kinji Fukasaku. Nothing remotely like BR, in fact it's quite Ozu-ish, IMO. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0205963/

"The Sopranos"
Re-watching the third season. Unsurpassably brilliant television.

CINEMA:

OPEN WATER
Not a bad film by any means, but I just didn't care for it. Hard to offer detailed/constructive criticism without ruining the story, so all I'll say is: take a chance and make up your own mind.

#16 The_Mole

The_Mole

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:22 AM

Saw Collateral yesterday. Bloody hell, that was one amazing taxi ride :).

Tom Cruise genuinely looked the part as a ruthless hitman. That'll go down in my Top 10 Villains list for years to come.

#17 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:31 PM

Without A Paddle. Funny Movie. "Hey Tom you were a boy scout weren't you?" "Nope but I ate a brownie once."

Over the summer I saw

The Day After Tommorow
The Chronicles of Riddick
Garfield
Dodgeball
Spiderman 2
Anchorman
I Robot
Bourne Supremacy
The Village
Without a Paddle

#18 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6751 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:53 PM

The last I saw on cinemas was Steven Spielberg's The Terminal , and I must say I did like. It's a "feel good" movie , but has some kind of a message to the audience and for the genre it's quite entertaining. Tom Hanks has another good interpretation and the Jazz music all over the movie is quite cool too , as I'm a jazz fan also.

The movies I want to see the most it's perhaps The Bourne Supremacy , Blade:Trinity and Batman Begins , at least this year. :)

#19 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1946 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:42 PM

Last film I saw was "Where Eagles Dare". Still the best ever.

#20 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:50 PM

"The Bourne Supremacy" wasn't written to continue the film series - it was first published in 1986, even before the Richard Chamberlain TV adaptation of "The Bourne Identity" was made.

By "the continuation novel", I presume you're thinking of this year's "The Bourne Legacy" by Eric Van Lustbader. Well, that was penned to continue the literary series, although I'm sure the film rights have been sold and that we'll some day see Matt Damon starring in a movie called THE BOURNE LEGACY.

Sorry, BC, I think I misread your post back there. Nonetheless, I think "Legacy" was written simply to continue the literary series, and not "with the view of continuing the film series".

#21 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:41 PM

Tom Cruise genuinely looked the part as a ruthless hitman. That'll go down in my Top 10 Villains list for years to come.

Cruise is probably not the first guy who would have come to mind if I'd been casting the role (it's more like a Travolta part) but he's brilliant. Even found myself rooting for him at times. And that nightclub sequence is the best choreographed action scene this year outside of Bourne Supremacy.

Criticisms? Couple of the plot twists were telegraphed far too early, but it's still one of the two smartest and best acted thrill rides of 2004.

#22 Gabe Vieira

Gabe Vieira

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3873 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:03 PM

I know it's kind of old but, I popped in Clerks last night. If you haven't seen it, what is the matter with you! Just kidding. But Clerks is a great movie. Some people might turn away from it because it's black and white, but is one reason it is so good. The black and white sets the mood of the film. Clerks is about two guys, Dante and Randal, who have the crappiest jobs in the world; working the Quick Stop and RST Video. Both places get very little customers, and when they do, well, something weird always happens. Anything from trying to find the perfect dozen of eggs, to selling a 4-year girl a pack of smokes. When Dante and Randal aren't knocking over corpses or playing hockey on the roof, there're either talking about the stupidest things that will make you say, "I never thought of that, but he's right," or trying to solve relationship problems. Yes, Jay and Silent Bob are in the film, but they have really small parts where they're getting high, or cursing like sailors. Kevin Smith, the writer and director, is a genius. Clerks is the best thing that ever came out of $27,000.

Grade: A-

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85604 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:27 PM

Cruise is probably not the first guy who would have come to mind if I'd been casting the role (it's more like a Travolta part) but he's brilliant. Even found myself rooting for him at times. And that nightclub sequence is the best choreographed action scene this year outside of Bourne Supremacy.

I wasn't sure about that one, particularly because of Cruise. Although he sometimes gets the good role that I like, so maybe.

#24 Goldfinger007

Goldfinger007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:26 PM

Wow I hadn't noticed you're from Mexico city Goldfinger007! I loved 'Proof of Life' so 'Man on Fire' was naturally interesting to me. I haven't been there in 30 years. I was 2-4 years old when i lived there and my earliest memories are from my time there living in an area called 'Polanco'. My mother adored Mexico City. She was sooo depressed when we moved back to California... :)

Be safe Goldfinger... :)

Well "Polanco" is a very nice place to live... hope you come and visit us soon... :)

#25 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10374 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:28 AM

Are you offering your sofa for a few days? :)

#26 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:53 AM

The last one I saw in cinemas was Collateral. Bloody good show, that. Although Annie's involvement in the film was ruined for me after reading an article on the film in a magazine. Still, I loved the cameo at the beginning of the film.

Grade: A

The last film I watched in general was Vegas Vacation, most of it yesterday. Great stuff. Gotta love those films.

"Tell you what, Griswold. How about you give me half the money you were going to lose, I'll take you out to the back, kick you in the nuts, and we'll call it a day."

#27 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17078 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:17 AM

Sorry, BC, I think I misread your post back there. Nonetheless, I think "Legacy" was written simply to continue the literary series, and not "with the view of continuing the film series".

Cool Loomis. :)

I'm cynical enough to belive that The Bourne Lagacy is an attempt to perpetuate the film series.

#28 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17078 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:22 AM

Today I saw Memento and it was absolutley superb. Christopher Nolan is fast becoming one of my favourite directors. I loved Insomnia, I loved Memento and I absolutely can't wait to see Batman Begins.

The great thing about Memento is that it makes you question yourself and whether your own memory is as reliable as you think it. The technique of moving from the end back to th beginning is also inspired and yet having seen it all, things still aren't any clearer once the movie's over. A great film has you asking questions and this one certainly did that.

I've being agreeing with you all morning it seems Tanger. :)

Memento is such a great, well executed movie. Could've easily become a mess, but the editing is right on.

:)

#29 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85604 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:39 AM

"Tell you what, Griswold. How about you give me half the money you were going to lose, I'll take you out to the back, kick you in the nuts, and we'll call it a day."

Brilliant OO0. :)

"Buy a bullet and rent a gun!"

#30 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5670 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 10:25 AM

Not today, but the last movie I saw, was North By Northwest. I got the DVD on a blind buy (i'd only seen the last 10 minutes) and absolutely loved it. Probably the best film I own, absolutely superb and probably my favourite Hitchcock film.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users