71 replies to this topic

#1 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:43 AM

CBn is taking part in a 10 day promotion for the free, alternative to Internet Explorer, web browser; Firefox. We're aiming for 1,000,000 people to switch to Firefox in this time.

I'll be really interested to know who dives in for the switch and what they think of Firefox - so reply and let me know :)

No more worries of Internet Explorer vulnerabilities, or viruses.

Internet Explorer can make your computer unsafe. Why not switch to a browser that's more secure?

Firefox is a browser built for speed and security, and getting rave reviews from the likes of PC World, [url="http://href="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1622102,00.asp"]PC Magazine[/url], and USA Today - even Microsoft's security program manager runs Firefox! This free and fast little browser can block unwanted popups, and keep your desktop clutter-free with tabbed browsing. It's definitely more secure than Internet Explorer, and a cinch to install:
  • Browse to http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/.
  • Choose the download link appropriate for the operating system on which you'll be running Firefox - Windows, Linux, or Mac OS X.
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Double-click on the file you just downloaded to start the installation wizard.
  • Click "Next" on each step of the wizard until the program is installed.
  • If you like, you can set Firefox to be your default browser, instead of Internet Explorer.
  • Start up Firefox, and browse happy.

#2 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:13 AM

Where to begin...

#3 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:32 AM

If you've downloaded Firefox, you'll notice the search box for Google up in the top right corner. We'll soon be releasing a CBn version of this so you can search CBn and the forums right from up there.

#4 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:48 AM

Oh, and here's a new security problem with IE...

The old bromide that promises you can't get a computer virus by looking at an image file crumbled a bit further Tuesday when Microsoft announced a critical vulnerability in its software's handling of the ubiquitous JPEG graphics format.

The security hole is a buffer overflow that potentially allows an attacker to craft a special JPEG file that would take control of a victim's machine when the user views it through Internet Explorer, Outlook, Word, and other programs. The poisoned picture could be displayed on a website, sent in email, or circulated on a P2P network.

If you don't want to switch to Firefox, and want to endure more headaches, make sure you download the latest security patches from Microsoft's web site.

http://www.theregist...ndows_jpeg_bug/

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:53 AM

Interesting. Didn't know alot about this one.

#6 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:16 AM

No harm in giving it a try. It's a very small 4MB download.

I think my favourite feature of Firefox is the tabbed browsing. It saves me cluttering up my screen space with many windows. I can just have one window open, with all the sites I'm browsing along the top as tabs.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:17 AM

I think I'm fine with the one I have, but if just a try.

#8 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:21 AM

And as usual in these times, no version for those who have to stay (for productivity reasons) on Mac OS9. Would love to give it a try, as I'm not happy with IE's performance :) .

But I can't even check out what Apple's Safari is like, because that one is also strictly OSX.

#9 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:24 AM

Currently browsing Cbn through Firefox, Dave. I'll let you know how I like it. :)

#10 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:26 AM

The old bromide that promises you can't get a computer virus by looking at an image file crumbled a bit further Tuesday when Microsoft announced a critical vulnerability in its software's handling of the ubiquitous JPEG graphics format.

The security hole is a buffer overflow that potentially allows an attacker to craft a special JPEG file that would take control of a victim's machine when the user views it through Internet Explorer, Outlook, Word, and other programs. The poisoned picture could be displayed on a website, sent in email, or circulated on a P2P network.

If you don't want to switch to Firefox, and want to endure more headaches, make sure you download the latest security patches from Microsoft's web site.

Here's a direct link to the patch at Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft...00409_jpeg.mspx

It's a 10.2MB update.

Firefox is a 4MB download :)

#11 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:26 AM

And as usual in these times, no version for those who have to stay (for productivity reasons) on Mac OS9. Would love to give it a try, as I'm not happy with IE's performance :) .

But I can't even check out what Apple's Safari is like, because that one is also strictly OSX.

Do any of these other browsers work on OS 9, Heiko?

http://browsehappy.com/browsers/

#12 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:28 AM

Currently browsing Cbn through Firefox, Dave. I'll let you know how I like it. :)

Joyce made the switch :)

Please do, let us all know what you make of it!

#13 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 01:47 PM

And as usual in these times, no version for those who have to stay (for productivity reasons) on Mac OS9. Would love to give it a try, as I'm not happy with IE's performance  :) .

Do any of these other browsers work on OS 9, Heiko?

http://browsehappy.com/browsers/

Mozilla - can't find OS9 version, seems there is none.

Firefox - they even say explicitly that it's not supported.

Safari - has been developped by Apple for OSX, and they claimed that won't develop any mor software for the older systems.

Opera - What a surprise, an OS9 version. Link to download German version isn't working, but the English one seems to work. I'll give it a try.

#14 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 01:51 PM

That's a shame :)

How comes you're not using OS X?

#15 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 02:03 PM

How comes you're not using OS X?

There are several programs that we're using that still don't work properly on OSX, and besides, buying all the things we need as new OSX versions would cost a huge load of money. There are solutions for those problems, but we decided not to change a running system, so we stay on OS9 for now and see what the future brings. I'm not really happy with that (and I do think we should have switched long ago), but it wasn't my decision...

Downloaded Opera in the meantime. Geniuses at work: they offer it for OS9, great. But it is zipped in a format that can only be unzipped under OSX... ouch!

#16 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 02:11 PM

Dave, what does Firefox have over Safari? (I already have Firefox on my system, but am just used to Safari)

#17 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:02 PM

For us OS X users, stick with Safari.

This promotion is really based at Windows users who don't have a secure web browser bundled with the OS.

#18 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:21 PM

Not sure if I really should try Opera.

I just asked a coworker who runs her iBook on OSX to unzip that file for me. She told me that she had tried Opera as well as Mozilla a while ago when she was still on OS9. "My Mac started doing funny things on the first day, and on the second day I had to restore the compete system..." was her comment. Really not sure if I should try to install it on my office Mac...

#19 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:24 PM

Have you had that building work done where you live? What computer are you using there?

#20 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:35 PM

Have you had that building work done where you live? What computer are you using there?

Nope, had to delay the building work to autumn (more important outside work had to be done in spring). Hope that I find the time. But if I won't, then I'll get my internet connection at home anytime soon. I always delay this, saying "I'll do that when the building work is done..." C'mon, it>'s cheap, browsing on the company's time and money (I do have permission)... Can you imagine how long CBn actually keeps my in my office? But it's good for my reputation amongst customers: "Oh, everytime I drive past your office at nighttime, there's still light. You're really hard working man..." :)

I'm on a Mac as well at home. Could try it there, but it would be no use because... seee above.

#21 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1946 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 05:12 PM

Heh, it's nice to see some endorsed anti IE promotion from CBn.

I could give you a link to an anti IE/windows site for a good lot of laughs, but after that whole pørn link fiasco...I think it would be too 'colourfull' for some people's eyes...

I use mozilla anyway. Secure tabbed browsing :)

#22 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 05:21 PM

Just downloaded it. Looks great, nearly no difference to IE. It even took over all of my favourites etc. Actually, I had nothing to do :)

#23 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 06:12 PM

I like it so far. CBn loads a little bit slower but given that this is a pretty sophisticated site that probably should be expected. :)

#24 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 07:24 PM

Here's a direct link to the patch at Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft...00409_jpeg.mspx

It's a 10.2MB update.

Firefox is a 4MB download :)

Updates...hooray! :)

#25 Spoon

Spoon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 07:29 PM

I couldn't be any more in support of this, love Firefox to death. I never see a popup ad, it's amazing... and I love the tabs. I also love the plugins. For instance, all I have to do is highlight someone's name, and I can look them up in IMDb! (or Google images, or baseball-reference.com, or...) It's fantastic.

#26 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 07:31 PM

I couldn't be any more in support of this, love Firefox to death. I never see a popup ad, it's amazing... and I love the tabs. I also love the plugins. For instance, all I have to do is highlight someone's name, and I can look them up in IMDb! (or Google images, or baseball-reference.com, or...) It's fantastic.

Pop-Ups don't have to be a problem regarding either or, to which you use though. Firefox or not. :)

#27 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:15 PM

I'm liking this so far, Dave. I think I might just let IE be and go Firefox all the way. :)

#28 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:20 PM

Glad you're all enjoying Firefox!

As soon as I have the CBn plugins working, would anyone be interested in testing them?

#29 Spoon

Spoon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:22 PM

Sure!

#30 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:24 PM

I'm liking this so far, Dave. I think I might just let IE be and go Firefox all the way. :)

Great to hear!

How are you finding tabbed browsing?

A tip for those who have a click-able mouse wheel...

If you click on a link when pressing the mouse wheel, it will automatically open that link in a new tab.