17 replies to this topic

#1 CharlieBind

CharlieBind

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 04:24 PM

Does anyone know why George Baker dubbed Lazenby during this movie. Yes Lazenby does impersonate Baker's character but that doesn't seem a proper excuse, can you imagine Connery or Moore being dubbed by a different actor?

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 04:33 PM

Does anyone know why George Baker dubbed Lazenby during this movie. Yes Lazenby does impersonate Baker's character but that doesn't seem a proper excuse, can you imagine Connery or Moore being dubbed by a different actor?

Oh I think it's okay. For the reason to probably make his impersonation as real as possible.

#3 CharlieBind

CharlieBind

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 04:42 PM

Does anyone know why George Baker dubbed Lazenby during this movie.  Yes Lazenby does impersonate Baker's character but that doesn't seem a proper excuse, can you imagine Connery or Moore being dubbed by a different actor?

Oh I think it's okay. For the reason to probably make his impersonation as real as possible.

I think that the problem is that George Baker is a very well-known actor (I've seen him in a load of movies/tv shows) and the minute I hear his voice coming out of Lazenby's mouth, it tends to under-mine the other George's performance.

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 04:59 PM

[quote name='CharlieBind' date='28 August 2004 - 12:42'] [quote name='Qwerty' date='28 August 2004 - 16:33'] [quote name='CharlieBind' date='28 August 2004 - 12:24'] Does anyone know why George Baker dubbed Lazenby during this movie.

#5 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 05:41 PM

Ah, that I can certainly understand. I think because I've just seen the film so many times that it just 'fits' in it.

I'm the same. On Her Majesty's Secret Service is my favourite movie, and since I have watched it many, many times the fact that Lazenby's voice is dubbed doesn't bother me at all, and I do not even notice it.

However, if you watch the documentary on the DVD, Lazenby pulls off the accent very well indeed, therefore I tend to think that the dubbing was unnecessary (despite being seamlessly done.)

#6 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 10:46 AM

Ah, that I can certainly understand. I think because I've just seen the film so many times that it just 'fits' in it.

I'm the same. On Her Majesty's Secret Service is my favourite movie, and since I have watched it many, many times the fact that Lazenby's voice is dubbed doesn't bother me at all, and I do not even notice it.

However, if you watch the documentary on the DVD, Lazenby pulls off the accent very well indeed, therefore I tend to think that the dubbing was unnecessary (despite being seamlessly done.)

Dubbing was the norm in those days. And Peter Hunt was one of the best at using it in the Bond series. Ok, some of the lip synch could be better but it doesn't bother me in the slightest but I don't think Lazenby would have been able to pull it off for that whole lengthy sequence anyway. He had enough on his plate already :)

#7 CharlieBind

CharlieBind

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 11:05 AM

Dubbing was the norm in those days.

Not that normal surely? I mean for a 'star' actor. In the Bond's it was pretty usual for an actoress whose voice never matched her looks to get the dubbing treatment or a supporting actor (they are a couple of actors famous for their dubbing work, Robert Rietty for one), but like I said, can you imagine Connery being dubbed by a different actor?

#8 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 11:36 AM

Not that normal surely? I mean for a 'star' actor. In the Bond's it was pretty usual for an actoress whose voice never matched her looks to get the dubbing treatment or a supporting actor (they are a couple of actors famous for their dubbing work, Robert Rietty for one), but like I said, can you imagine Connery being dubbed by a different actor?

Agreed - not in the case of so-called "stars" ...but Lazenby was far from being a star (despite having the biggest gig in movies at the time)......
I can't imagine Connery would have been dubbed but frankly couldn't see him pulling off another accent either. His early Bond's were better than say YOLT or DAF when he really didn't care what he sounded like as at least he attempted to iron out his Scottish accent. But in later movies (Bond aside) he never really made any attempt to hide his nationality. In fact he ended up winning an Oscar for a performance that was really nothing special IMHO.....which ideally required and Irish accent.

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 03:40 PM

Not that normal surely? I mean for a 'star' actor.

It would be normal in George Lazenby's case because compared to Sean Connery, nobody had a clue who this guy was. Thus, it didn't seem like such a crazy idea.

#10 CharlieBind

CharlieBind

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 04:10 PM

Not that normal surely? I mean for a 'star' actor.

It would be normal in George Lazenby's case because compared to Sean Connery, nobody had a clue who this guy was. Thus, it didn't seem like such a crazy idea.

Doesn't show much confidence in poor George does it? :)

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when they told him:

"Oi, Lazenby, we're getting a more experienced British actor to dub your voice for part of the movie, ok?" :)

#11 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 12:43 PM

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when they told him:

"Oi, Lazenby, we're getting a more experienced British actor to dub your voice for part of the movie, ok?" :)

They didnt tell him, I think on the dvd it says that George only found out about being dubbed when he saw the film at the premiere.

#12 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 12:26 PM

:) This new & shocking for me :)

OHMSS is one of my favorite movie

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 02:38 PM

[quote name='M_Balje' date='2 September 2004 - 08:26'] :) This new & shocking for me :)

OHMSS is one of my favorite movie

#14 Lancaster

Lancaster

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 02:49 PM

It is correct that Lazenby states he did not know about the dub until after the film was released. By this time he had walked and they were not concerned if he liked it or not.

#15 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 05:44 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but the impression I got was that he was only dubbed for when he was impersonating George Baker's role, ie the Heraldry bit.

Once that was done, it was back to George - I'm sure his Australian accent pops up quite clearly imediately after he is found out.

This from the Hunt commentary.

#16 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 05:53 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but the impression I got was that he was only dubbed for when he was impersonating George Baker's role, ie the Heraldry bit.

I thought that was only when as well.

#17 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:11 PM

Once that was done, it was back to George - I'm sure his Australian accent pops up quite clearly imediately after he is found out.

That is correct. Baker mainly dubbed Lazenby when Bond is impersonating Sir Hilary. In addition, Baker also dubs when Bond says, "Tactfully adjusted to favour me" during his meeting with Bray as well as later when Bond says, "Guns make me nervous".

Edited by Lazenby880, 02 September 2004 - 07:35 PM.

#18 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:13 PM

That is correct. Baker only dubbed Lazenby when Bond is impersonating Sir Hilary. In addition, Baker also dubs when Bond says, "Tactfully adjusted to favour me" during his meeting with Bray as well as later when Bond says, "Guns make me nervous".

Indeed. That "Guns makes me nervous line" doesn't sound at all like Baker on the older VHS version IMO.