8 replies to this topic

#1 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 09 October 2001 - 04:56 AM

While browsing the Isle's of the videos shop the other day I spotted an old video (near the Bond section of course), An old British spy Movie called, No.1 of the Secret Service. I picked it up and gave it the look over, "move over James Bond." sort of thing on the back. I can't give much info about it now, I'm about to head off now and grab it. Has anyone heard of it?

PS No.1 of the Secret Service sounds a bit familiar, Mclory's James Bond of the Secret Service, perhaps?

#2 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 22 October 2001 - 06:51 AM

White Persian (16 Oct, 2001 02:46 a.m.):
I think this is one of an intermittent series of cheap British Bond ripoffs about a character called Charles Vine. The first two starred Tom Adams, who wasn't too bad, and I seem to remember one later on with Gareth (The New avengers) Hunt, and a final attempt with Nicky Henson. Lindsay Shonteff directed some of them at least. The titles tended to be changed for the US market, and again for video release.
Pretty dire, unless watched with the assistance of beer, pizza and funny mates.

Hole in one. First of all I didn't really know how to take this film, (Starring Nicky Henson), is it a complete comedy? Or did they really try to create it seriously.

What you are about to read is in no way a proper review, and jumbled up facts I typed up in 1 Min, so plz be kind :)
------------------------------------

The script isn't exactly the best. A millionaire 'Loveday' hires C.R.A.S.H to kill a whole bunch of other rich guys, because (to put it simply) he 'doesn't like them'.

And vine, a Rip-off of dear old Roger. But carrying 2 magnum's as his weapon of choice. Also he is set up with a partner 'Anna', a blond, high pitched voice woman, who makes Mary Goodnight look like she passed her HSC.

I was surprised to see Geoffrey Keen playing Vines superior (M?). I laughed when Keen told vine to get rid of his magnums and use the Standard Issue for all agents.

The film also has some unnecessary encounters. In one part of the film, Vine is sent a note from 'a friend' to meet him at a rondavou. Vine goes there to find an army jeep full of Six C.R.A.S.H soldiers, armed with AK-47's. They hop out and shoot at him; of course they all miss him as he slowly walks towards them shooting with his two magnums (while twirling them around after every shot). The along comes another jeep full of more old friends. Not to worry Vine has it covered, with a flick of a switch a heavy machine gun mounts to the front of his car.

Vine has the habit to squirt soda at Anna's chest, by accident of course.

At the end of the film, the final encounter with vine and Loveday. WTF? Loveday takes out all but one bullet in vines magnum, fires and vine (empty), himself (empty), vine again (empty), himself (BANG!) blows his head off! What an idiot. The worst ending I have ever seen!

Although an old films, the filmography is no-where near the quality of bond. But at time you have to admire how they have done it with such a low budget (for its day).

No REAL plot, just another spy mania movie based on everyone's secret agent OO7. Nobody does it better.

#3 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 22 October 2001 - 07:19 AM

Here's the covers.

Posted Image

Back cover
------------------------------

Posted Image

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 22 October 2001 - 07:24 AM

I don't know about anyone else but I actually kinda enjoy these Z grade Bond-rippoffs. :)

I'm trying to think of such a movie that starred Garath 'Whats-is-name' from the New Avengers.

They are corny but really highlight how good the Bonds were.

Trevelyan, do you know what C.R.A.S.H. stands for?

#5 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 16 October 2001 - 01:46 AM

I think this is one of an intermittent series of cheap British Bond ripoffs about a character called Charles Vine. The first two starred Tom Adams, who wasn't too bad, and I seem to remember one later on with Gareth (The New avengers) Hunt, and a final attempt with Nicky Henson. Lindsay Shonteff directed some of them at least. The titles tended to be changed for the US market, and again for video release.
Pretty dire, unless watched with the assistance of beer, pizza and funny mates.

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 10 October 2001 - 04:08 AM

I can't say I have heard of it. Be sure to let us know what it's like :)

#7 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 October 2001 - 04:27 AM

Nicky Henson .... No. 1/Charles Bind
Richard Todd (I) .... Loveday
Aimi MacDonald .... Anna
Geoffrey Keen .... Rockwell
Dudley Sutton .... K.R.A.S.H. Leader
Sue Lloyd .... Sister Jane
Jon Pertwee .... Brother Braithwaite
Milton Reid .... Eye Patch
Fiona Curzon .... Bar Girl
Jenny Till .... Vampire Girl
Katya Wyeth .... Miss Martin
Roberta Gibbs .... Stormy Weather
Oliver MacGreevy .... Simms
Elizabeth Tyrrell .... Manchester Lady
Allen Ambridge .... Clean Shave Kid

Also Known As in America:
Tell the Other Guy to Move Over! I'm Number One. (1977)

I think it's suppose to be a comedy, look at the names Charles Bind, Eye Patch!
Hah, i would love to see it but I can't find it here in the US.

#8 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 10:10 AM

Interesting to see Milton "Sandor" Reid in the cast as well as Geoffrey Keen.
Cheeky to make the character's name Bind...only a misprint away from Bond.
Actually I'm pretty sure the Charles Hawtrey character in "Carry On Spying" was, yup, Charlie Bind.
P'raps this is an unofficial sequel.

#9 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 10:59 AM

Yes, Ried played a one-eyed henchman.