MGM Sues New Line Cinema

3 replies to this topic

#1 GoldfingerRand

GoldfingerRand

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 January 2002 - 09:39 PM

I came in to work today (I'm a manager of a cinema-pub) and found a Fed-Ex package from New Line. Inside was a letter requesting that we pull the "Austin Powers in Goldmember" trailer off of "Lord of the Rings". I called New Line to find out why and I was told that MGM was taking legal action against New Line for use of the name Goldmember. I thought this was kind of strange, since they had no problem with "The Spy Who Shagged Me." So my first though was that maybe the plot or characters in Goldmember had something in common with those in Bond 20. One thought was Beyonce Knowles of Destiny's Child. Perhaps EON wants DC to sing the title song, so they somehow tried to cause chaos in the Goldmember ranks. Anyone else have any thoughts?

#2 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 28 January 2002 - 10:15 PM

Hi GoldfingerRand, you might want to take a look at this thread:

http://forums.comman...&SID=38571#ID13

We talked about the impact on the decision to file a "cease and desist" there.

Cheers,
J

#3 GoldfingerRand

GoldfingerRand

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 January 2002 - 11:03 PM

Thanks, James! Maybe I should look at the rest of the threads before getting so excited over something like this!

That's what I thought, too, about it being so close to Goldfinger, but then I wondered why nothing was done about The Spy Who Shagged Me. That's when thoughts of a deeper conflict occured to me.

#4 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 28 January 2002 - 09:48 PM

Na, i think it because of Goldfinger. I dont think they would sue because there was any 'cast' in the movie. Besides Beyonce Knowles, there has been no mention of her in bond 20 !!!??? And I dont think DC are good for the title song.