15 replies to this topic

#1 JReber007

JReber007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 01:14 AM

Come on guys, think seriously now. I bought the score to "The Rock" the other day and I must say, while it has a lot of techno involved (not as much as TWINE I think). His composition of the final track, "The Chase," is very nerving and great to listen to.

After I heard Pearl Harbor (no techno for that score) I thought hey, maybe he could score Bond, maybe just once. What do you guys think?

His works include:

Backdraft, Pearl Harbor, The Rock, Black Hawk Down, Hannibal, Crimson Tide

#2 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 03:14 AM

personally I can't stand his work, but I don't think he'd be that bad, it would be a decent score....certainly not sucky like Eric Serra or Bill Conti....but I suggest someone like Jerry Goldsmith, Basil Poledouris(conan, robocop) or James Horner might be good, but really the best are Barry and Arnold...

#3 JAWS

JAWS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 06:25 AM

Zimmer also scored MI2. I really disliked that score.
About a one-shot Bond comoser if Arnold gets sick or something...how about Danny Elfman? I don't think it would be terrible, but I don't think he would use the Bond theme much (if Mission Impossible is any hint).

#4 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 06:38 AM

Hans Zimmer? Brilliant idea, in my opinion. To me, he is a very talented man. I admire the great majority of his work, and I consider him one of my favourite composers all-time.

Now, having said that, let me say that his recent work on MI:2 was atrocious. Not only was it overly loud and noisy, but it was almost bad as the movie itself.

So, excluding MI:2 completely, let's keep in mind that he also scored Gladiator and Face/Off, which both finely suit each film. Both, if you remember, were also a fusion of action and drama, a characteristic that Zimmer talently exploits in his scores. He has proven that he can handle both action and drama with not only originality, but with taste.

At his best, Hans Zimmer is a brilliant musical artist. Whether it be Bond 20 or future Bond movies, I think Zimmer would serve the franchise well. There's a reason he's being paid the big bucks.

#5 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 02:02 PM

What about Jerry Goldsmit. He did a fine job with all the Star Trek movies. And he is just like, John Barry, very orchestral orientated! I should say, if David Arnold and John Barry are not available, hire Jerry Goldsmit.

#6 piotr007

piotr007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 06:11 PM

HANS ZIMMER? NO, NO, NO! I don't like most of his themes. (Except 3 or 4 pieces from "GLADIATOR"). I think that man likes to repeat himself. I understand it's a part of one's style, but I really can't hear the diffrence between "THE ROCK" theme and "NAVY SEALS" or "BACKDRAFT". What's more, his music sounds best when you listen to the soundtrack, not watch the film. His scores often are too loud and too bombastic. There are examples when Zimmer's music doesn't fit to the action of the film ("Point Of No Return", anybady recalls that dreadful remake of "NIKITA"?).

PS. Musicians for BOND: BARRY, ARNOLD, or HORNER (for a great score from "PATRIOT GAMES")

#7 007luvchild

007luvchild

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 March 2002 - 09:04 PM

I love Hans Zimmer work in Hannibal thanks to help of Johann Strauss, Bach and Mahler. MI2 scoring wasn't that bad. I actually think Naya was beautifully composed, but that was with the help of Spanish guitarist Peiria. Gladiator, I thought was beautifully scored. However, what gives Hans Zimmer
away when recognizing his work is the echoing boys chorus or sorrowful lady humming in the musical background. That's sort of like his signature to me.

#8 jnDoubleshot

jnDoubleshot

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 March 2002 - 12:30 AM

I am a big fan of Zimmer's scores for "Gladiator" and "Hannibal", but I think it would be a terrible idea for him to score a Bond film. His action cues are mostly cheaply synthesized - even the strings and brass are not from a real orchestra. I think Arnold is the best person for the music of the series at this point.

#9 Lonely Gunman

Lonely Gunman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 March 2002 - 03:07 PM

I think, James Newton Howard would do a good Bond score, too. I love his music for Unbreakable, and the Dinosaurier-score prooves that he can also do a powerful, epic score. (Partial it

#10 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 01:08 AM

piotr007 is right, Zimmer does repeat himself alot, many people are concerned about Arnold having limited variation, if so they are likely to top themselves if zimmer was to score a bond. I'm extremely happy with DA and would be unhappy if the job was passed on. We need the propellerheads input again though, if not for Bond20 then for Bond21.

#11 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 08 March 2002 - 12:35 PM

What about Jerry Goldsmith! He did most of the Star Trek scores, and like John Barry, he is a bit stucked with Star Trek. Don't forget that he also makes very much orchestral scores. And they sound very good.

#12 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 08 March 2002 - 01:17 PM

Friedrich Baxter (08 Mar, 2002 12:35 p.m.):
What about Jerry Goldsmith! He did most of the Star Trek scores, and like John Barry, he is a bit stucked with Star Trek. Don't forget that he also makes very much orchestral scores. And they sound very good.

If ever Goldsmith was going to do a Bond score, now would have been the time.

Apart from from doing Under Fire for Spottiswood in '83 and Criminal Law for Martin Campbell in '88, he has also done two scores for Tamahori - The Edge in '97 and Along Came A Spider in last year.

While the others were typical Goldsmith, I felt that his score to ACAS was very good, and if Arnold wasn't already earmarked (probably) to do Bond 20, I feel that Jerry may have had a look in. I'm a big fan of his and I'd be extremely happy if he did a Bond.

#13 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 02 March 2002 - 11:45 PM

Unlike Barry or Arnold, or Jerry Goldsmith,
Hans Zimmer seems to have no easily recognizable style. I've often listened to a Zimmer score and liked it, but been very surprised to discover it was one of his.
He's very versatile, and could, I think, tailor a score to fit in with the established Bond style.
I'd still prefer for David Arnold to continue, though.

#14 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 02 March 2002 - 11:51 PM

I think Hans Zimmer would do a great job on a Bond score.
I watched a film recently on which he did the score. It was superb and I was so absorbed by it that I totally missed half of the films plot. In fact, the score was so good, I can't even remember what the film was called! :)

#15 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 08 March 2002 - 12:40 AM

I have no doubt that Hans Zimmer is professionally inteligent enough to do a Bond-like score (what ever that really means) for a Bond movie. He would certainly do a better job than Eric Serra!

I thought that his Gladiator score was wonderful and appropriate, and he is versatile enough to score such an epic like that after doing the likes of the Lion King.

And lets face, Barry became repetitive and tired of doing Bond scores so I feel that new blood can be a good thing.

I'm happy with Arnold at the moment, but as he gets more popular as a scorer his services may not always be available to Eon everytime.

#16 Lonely Gunman

Lonely Gunman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 12:36 AM

I think, he can and he would do it very well. The score of Broken Arrow with that e-guitar sounds a little bondlike.
But I think that David Arnold somehow growes with the Bond scores. His TWINE-score was better than the one of TND. And I think the score of B20 will be greater than them all.