This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

CRWill James Bond loose, after 40 years, it's quality?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 01:44 PM

Ok, perhaps it was wrong that I complained about the originality, but I think you can say something about the current quality of James Bond movies. For example the screenplays written by Neal Purvis, Robert Wade and Bruce Feirstein are too messy in my point of view. Richard Maibaum did a far more better job. And the screenplays/story's of for example Moonraker are far more better. And if you ask me, there should be NO different directors each Bond movie. Why? Each director has their own style, and that's reflected in the Bond movies. Michael Apted is more a drama director, and as a result there are some ridiculous action scenes.
And then the choices for actors and actresses. Well, if I say Denise Richards, Teri Hatcher and Halle Berry? What do you think? Exactly, there are no non-American actresses any more. Perhaps EON just went for the looks. But were are the classical English, Dutch, French and Italian actors and actresses. Well, Sophie Marceau is a very good exception, but I miss, Adolfo Celi, Carole Bouquet, Topol, Christopher Lee, Famke Janssen, Lotte Lenya, Daniela Bianchi, Claudine Auger, and so on...and so on. And then the news that there is only ONE location for Bond 20. That's tooooooo ridiculous to be true!

Well, if you asked me. I loved it when James Bond returned in 1995, but the quality.............? Well judge yourself!

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 09 January 2002 - 10:02 AM

I'd say there was a bit of a stigma about John Glen after the poorer success of License To Kill.

John Glen was an editor? So who should get the reigns next -> Vic Armstrong. He's been on Bond since OHMSS I believe. If anyone could direct one, he could. He'd know it inside out!

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 10 January 2002 - 04:43 AM

Blue Eyes (09 Jan, 2002 10:02 a.m.):
John Glen was an editor? So who should get the reigns next -> Vic Armstrong. He's been on Bond since OHMSS.....

.....which was also directed by an ex-Bond editor, Peter Hunt.

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 09 January 2002 - 06:25 AM

I think you're judging Bond 20 a bit too soon.

Yes we have Halle Berry. But she's not a Denise Richards, she can act and we know it. So I don't see why that's a problem? Perhaps if she gives a stinking performance, then we comment on in come the release of the film. But that's 11 months off.

We're also getting quite a mixed cast by the look of it. We've only had one confirmed American actor, and one rumoured one. I really don't see the problem in that.

As for the director, yes I agree they should find a good one and stick with him or her. But they have to find the right one first. That's not an easy task. Michael Apted was a great director on all things bar action, which I don't think is that bad in TWINE. I mean there is only so much you can do with a parahawk and a set of skis. Roger Spottiswoode couldn't be kept and so on. It's not an easy task.

Dont' judge Bond 20 before it's released. You don't even know the plot yet.

#5 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 January 2002 - 09:28 AM

Ok! But what happened to John Glen. Was he too old?