14 replies to this topic

#1 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 12:14 PM

I was reading an article about Minnisota Vikings' RB Robert Smith yesterday. He retired at 29 while he was a free agent and in his prime. He could have moved anywhere and made a killing but he quit-now he has a book out about why he left. Now, Ricky Williams is leaving the game.If you're a Dolphins fan you have to be crushed. He is their best offensive player and hope for a Superbowl run. He's always been a bit eccentric and perhaps his personality doesn't fit into the consevative structure of the pro sports celebrity straight jacket.

Now I realize there is more to life than playing a sport for money but I always thought that athletes who retire prematurely are just being narcisistic and really just want more attention(Jordan anyone?). They want the world to yearn for their dramatic return...etc. What do you guys think?

#2 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 02:00 PM

Weird, and leaves me wondering what Ricky Williams could fo for the rest of his life. He has never seemed to be the most intelligent of football players

He's always been a bit eccentric

Like when he took interviews with his helmet on :).

Go Eagles! :)

#3 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 02:08 PM

I think he wants to take bong hits and go clubin' rather than play football.

#4 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 02:14 PM

I think he wants to take bong hits and go clubin' rather than play football.

He isn't a Dallas Cowboy though!

#5 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 02:21 PM

Cowboys prefer Cocaine as their drug of choice! :)

Celebrity sucks. Especially sports celebrity. You not only lack privacy but people expect you to be a role model and live a goody tooshoes existence. Anyway, it's a waste of talent for him not to play. He could have been a great player.He better have a good investment portfolio because I think he'll discover that having a real job is overrated! :)

#6 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:51 PM

When did he retire? Yesterday?

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 04:03 PM

When did he retire? Yesterday?

I think he told the coach on Friday his decision.

#8 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:19 PM

Weird, and leaves me wondering what Ricky Williams could fo for the rest of his life. He has never seemed to be the most intelligent of football players

He's always been a bit eccentric

Like when he took interviews with his helmet on :).

Go Eagles! :)

I thought he was intelligent, but in a weird Howard Hughes kind of way. :)

Anyway, this is bad news for Dolphins fans. This brings me back memories of Barry Sanders leaving prematurely for retirement. Though Sanders' retirement was much more crushing since he was the quinessiatel running back, and a great role model at that.

#9 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:38 PM

I don't think he ever had a passion to play football. He had the talent and went ahead and did it for the money.

With probably $20-30 million in the bank, he's pretty much set for life, now he's leaving to do something he likes. I heard he's going to Asia for a couple of months.

Good luck to him...

#10 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:50 PM

Wow.. this was a shock to me! I really feel for you Dolphin fans.. I thought that Ricky Williams was a great running back and had the potential to become a hall-of-famer one day. Now that he pulls this stunt and retires early, I seriously doubt he'll ever get to Canton. I was thinking that Miami had a shot at getting to the playoffs again this year, but now I don't think it'll happen, no matter who they'll get to replace Ricky. Oh well, at least we will no longer confuse the defensive player Ricky Williams who plays for the Indianapolis Colts with the running back Williams! :) I can only imagine what might have happened if Ricky Williams quit after his two years with New Orleans before he went to Miami!!

#11 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:15 PM

It's sad because he had potential.

#12 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 05:06 PM

And I just bought Dolphins tickets the other day. I was looking forward to seeing Ricky play. Ehh I don't care. The Fins will pick up somebody else. I usually go to one game a year since I only live over an hour away from Pro Player Stadium. But I'm not a Dolphins fan.

GO PACKERS

#13 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 05:53 PM

Are the Packers going to be playing the Dolphins this year Janus? If they are, I was going to say it should be a great game, but now that Ricky's gone, the Packers should beat Miami easily.

#14 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 06:35 PM

No they aren't I am going to see the Rams play the Dolphins because I live close to Pro Player Stadium and I try to go when I can and I know the Rams are a good offensive team. If the Packers played Miami, The Pack would kill them. I'm just a Green Bay fan, too bad they only come down once every 6 years. And Tampa is too far for me.

#15 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 07:03 PM

By the way. Dolphins tickets are selling like hot cakes. I got my tickets an hour and a half after they went on sale on Saturday and they had less than 1000 left. So I got what I got. 5 games are already sold out.