22 replies to this topic

#1 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 28 August 2001 - 11:49 PM

In the movie The world is not enough playing John cleese R, he must playing R again in Bond 20 right ?

#2 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 08:23 PM

.....or a piece of toilet paper stuck his shoe...

If you get these ideas out now, they can't use them in the movie :)

#3 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 12:30 PM

[quote]scaramanga (02 Nov, 2001 10:51 a.m.):
but remember that the Q Branch scenes have always been comic relief in Bond films. quote]

In the earlier Bonds, though, the comedy in the Q scenes came because Desmond Llewelyn played the part absolutely straight, without a glimmer of humour.
Cleese is capable of doing the same (see his British sheriff in Silverado), but I'm afraid having hired him, EON will ask for a Basil Fawlty clone.

#4 Aston-Martin

Aston-Martin

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 03:23 AM

Q is a position, not a name, just like M.

I assume that Q stands for "Quartermaster"

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 05:23 AM

You'd be correct in that assumption Mad Dog!

#6 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 03:55 PM

None (01 Nov, 2001 12:03 p.m.):
Am i the only one who found Cleeses role as'R' in the last film irritating,intensely annoying and an insult to the intelligence?

Nope - not at all. You can stick a tick by my name for that one.

It seems to me that while Brosnan wishes to play the role tough and hard, the producers still want to cover all bases with the addition of this slapstick buffoonery type of behaviour. If Cleese stays, I hope someone has the sense to say that his character has made marvellous progress in the intervening three years and is somewhat more capable than his previous endeavours which included getting coats stuck in doors and presumably, ties dropped in wine glasses.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 12:17 AM

Blue Eyes (29 Aug, 2001 01:07 a.m.):
From memory the Cigar Girl went through many name changes. I think the final script had her dubbed as Juliette the Cigar Girl. But cause her real name was never mentioned she was credited as what she would be most remembered as, the chick with the cigars, hence Cigar Girl.

In the first draft by Purvis & Wade the pre-titles sequence opens in Cuba and our girl is sitting in a corner rolling cigars with her thighs. Nice.

#8 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 12:21 AM

If we had a dollar for every time someone metions the R & Q thing....

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 12:26 AM

zencat (29 Aug, 2001 01:17 a.m.):
In the first draft by Purvis & Wade the pre-titles sequence opens in Cuba and our girl is sitting in a corner rolling cigars with her thighs. Nice.

I saw that little opening for the first time the other day. God that would have been a great scene :) I've really got to get my hands on all the drafts of TWINE. I'm going to definetly do it for Bond 20. I think I'll go overboard with merchandise :)

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 12:35 AM

James Page (29 Aug, 2001 01:21 a.m.):
If we had a dollar for every time someone metions the R & Q thing....

Tell me about it.

Maybe CB.N should have a FAQ section?

#11 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 12:47 AM

A very clever idea Zencat! I'll get to work on one. I did intend to get one, but not until the forums really hit it off and were a huge hit. That is 500+ members. Right now we're sitting on 199!

#12 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 10:39 PM

Simon (01 Nov, 2001 03:55 p.m.):
If Cleese stays, I hope someone has the sense to say that his character has made marvellous progress in the intervening three years and is somewhat more capable than his previous endeavours which included getting coats stuck in doors and presumably, ties dropped in wine glasses.

I suspect that Cleese's role will become a bit more serious. You have to remember that Cleese was planning on doing a couple of more pictures as Q's assistant and I imagine they wanted to leave some room for growth. I expect to see a lot of 'marvellous progress' now that they know he will be Q in this film.

#13 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 10:51 AM

Now that he is Q and Quartermaster, Head of Q Branch, I'm sure he'll have to act more seriously than in TWINE, but remember that the Q Branch scenes have always been comic relief in Bond films. No doubt, he'll be given DL's famous lines:
'Right, now pay attention 007'.
'Please try and return it in pristine order'.

#14 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 November 2001 - 12:23 PM

scaramanga (02 Nov, 2001 10:51 a.m.):
....but remember that the Q Branch scenes have always been comic relief in Bond films. No doubt, he'll be given DL's famous lines:
'Right, now pay attention 007'.
'Please try and return it in pristine order'.

Maybe there will be a new set of repartee developed between Cleese's Q and Brosnan's Bond, which will become the standard in future movies.

When Pierce is eventually replaced, this repartee can still be utilised as form of continuity between the two Bonds. Assuming that Cleese will outlast Brosnan.

#15 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 09:10 PM

I think there should be some new phrases definitely!

Hows about... erm can anyone think of some??

As for the will Cleese last... well he's got his new hip now! He could last for years!!

Pity they couldn't have got someone younger. I give him ten years... which is a shame.

All this chopping and changing in the series may (I think) cause a wane in its popularity (but I will still love it all the same).

#16 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 09:51 PM

John Cleese has just celebrated his 63rd birthday last week, so I'm not sure about another 10 years. Although, he is contracted to do 3 films.

#17 None

None

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 11:50 AM

Am i the only one who found Cleeses role as'R' in the last film irritating,intensely annoying and an insult to the intelligence?Never underestimate the importance of 'Q' to Bond,in the films as well as in a theoretical real-life situation.Desmond Llewyn played him with wonderful Britishness&eccentricity,making the role his own.Remember,Bond has to trust his life to this man and his counterparts.Are we now supposed to be so dumb that we ll accept he puts his trust in the Minister for silly walks?Just look what he did for Sainsburys recently!In the role of 'R',he ll be an insult to the late great Desmond,the greatest quartermaster of all.

#18 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 09:28 PM

[quote]White Persian (03 Nov, 2001 12:30 p.m.):
[quote]scaramanga (02 Nov, 2001 10:51 a.m.):
but remember that the Q Branch scenes have always been comic relief in Bond films. quote]

In the earlier Bonds, though, the comedy in the Q scenes came because Desmond Llewelyn played the part absolutely straight, without a glimmer of humour.
Cleese is capable of doing the same (see his British sheriff in Silverado), but I'm afraid having hired him, EON will ask for a Basil Fawlty clone.[/quote]

If you've ever seen Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, you'll know two things:

1. Kenneth Branagh is mad
2. John Cleese can act in a subdued manner, albeit that he is unrecognisable. Sort of the same thing for A Fish Called Wanda. Sort of.

However, from the performance in TWINE, it's all a bit one note shrill nonsense. Subtle it ain't. Funny it ain't either.

#19 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 12:01 AM

My understanding is that John Cleese will be playing "Q" in Bond 20. He was Q's Assistant in TWINE, his name was never "R". Bond just called him this and so that's how he was credited. Much in the same way "Cigar Girl" was credited as such, but certainly this wasn't her name.

#20 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 12:07 AM

Sometime ago John Cleese confirmed his character would be called Q and not R.

From memory the Cigar Girl went through many name changes. I think the final script had her dubbed as Juliette the Cigar Girl. But cause her real name was never mentioned she was credited as what she would be most remembered as, the chick with the cigars, hence Cigar Girl.

Which brings back a very funny memory. Watch the Titanic Credits. And in there amongst the actors is a credit, Woman In Water. If you've seen the film you'll know there's about 500 of them, but this single woman got a credit!

Here it is, just pulled it off IMDb

Kathleen S. Dunn .... Woman in Water (as Kathleen Dunn)

and here's another funny one:

Tricia O'Neil .... Woman

or how about:

Vern Urich .... Man in Water

Funny funny :)

#21 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 01 November 2001 - 01:24 PM

John Cleese will certainly be playing Q, even if Bond jokingly refers to him as 'R'. But, please, please, no more talk of having a funeral sequence for Q. In the film he retired, where as in real life the actor who played him died. John Cleese was being 'groomed' to take over as head of Q Branch, therefore Quartermaster, therefore known as Q.

#22 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 04:38 AM

I just found something interesting.

The new PS2 game 'Agent Under Fire' was one of the first things to allude Cleese becoming Q. A press release said they hired Cleese to do the voice in the game of the character Q. Now I was on the site today and low and behold there is a character (from Q-Branch) called 'R'. His picture is nothing like Q's. Could be something interesting to think about.

#23 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 09:06 AM

Blue Eyes (03 Nov, 2001 04:38 a.m.):
I just found something interesting.

The new PS2 game 'Agent Under Fire' was one of the first things to allude Cleese becoming Q. A press release said they hired Cleese to do the voice in the game of the character Q. Now I was on the site today and low and behold there is a character (from Q-Branch) called 'R'. His picture is nothing like Q's. Could be something interesting to think about.

I noticed that as well. Throughout the game he is constantly referred to as R, but he looks nothing like John Cleese.