5 replies to this topic

#1 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:45 AM

Again, a Roger vehicle is trotted out. One that's aired perhaps the most, aside from Live And Let Die. This time it's The Spy Who Loved Me. Times vary from state-to-state, once more, because of the football, but it's generally around 10pm - 11pm, on TEN.

Meanwhile, Die Another Day premieres on Australian PayTV this Sunday on Movie One at 8:30pm.

#2 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 02:53 PM

Here're the reviews for The Spy Who Loved Me...

THE SUNDAY MAIL
THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
11.05pm Ten/Southern Cross **** (out of five)
(Drama 1977 M US)

One of the best Bond adventures with Roger Moore and Barbara Bach involved in hijinks around the world. Kurt Jurgens is a great villain but his henchman Richard Kiel (with steel teeth) is memorable.

THE GOLD COAST BULLETIN
11.30pm
THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
*** (out of four) (Ten, Ten GC). M.
1977. One of Roger Moore's better Bond outings as he does battle with arch villain Curt Jurgens and the steel-toothed Jaws. Barbara Bach is a Russian Spy who gets into bed with him, so to speak, to bring down the villainous Jurgens. Lively thrills.

And the PayTV review of Die Another Day...

THE GOLD COAST BULLETIN
PICK OF THE WEEK
Sunday, 8:30pm
DIE ANOTHER DAY
**** (out of four) (Movie One). M.
PIERCE Brosnan is back for his fourth gig as 007 to commemorate the 40th year of the Bond franchise.
Like the rest of the Bond films, Die Another Day is a barrage of action and semi-nude women, with a bit of plot thrown in for good measure.
This time, 007 tracks a terrorist through Cuba and North Korea, and meets Jinx, a beautiful yet illusive spy.
There's action aplenty with a car chase on ice, duelling hovercrafts and Halle Berry in a bikini, this 20th Bond film make one wish Bond really would die another day - today.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 03:00 PM

Even though I do not live in Australia, it seems the general reviews for The Spy Who Loved Me are always the same all around the world. Something usually, if not always around the lines of "[one of the] best Roger Moore films; a thrilling film, etc..," but there always seems to be something which I really do not see them hint upon that makes it get :) Be nice to see a four star review of it once, or least some reason as to why the missing "star."

#4 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:44 AM

Even though I do not live in Australia, it seems the general reviews for The Spy Who Loved Me are always the same all around the world. Something usually, if not always around the lines of "[one of the] best Roger Moore films; a thrilling film, etc..," but there always seems to be something which I really do not see them hint upon that makes it get :) Be nice to see a four star review of it once, or least some reason as to why the missing "star."

I imagine it's because it's Roger Moore, not Sean Connery as James Bond, that detracts the star. Rarely do I see positive reviews of Moore's outings, I guess they follow the misconception, that any Bond movie not starring Connery is weak.

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:46 AM

I imagine it's because it's Roger Moore, not Sean Connery as James Bond, that detracts the star. Rarely do I see positive reviews of Moore's outings, I guess they follow the misconception, that any Bond movie not starring Connery is weak.

I imagined that might be the deal too. :)

#6 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 05:08 AM

Moore than likely. *chuckles to self*

I was actually surprised to see Die Another Day rack up Movie of the Week with the full four-star rating. Surprised and pleased.