13 replies to this topic

#1 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 06:54 PM

Just curious about why Bond 21 is given an ETA of 2005 rather than 2004. Is this a guess based on the three year wait (rather than the customary two) for D.A.D., or do we actually know that there'll be another long gap between 20 and 21?

#2 bingo

bingo

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 03:56 PM

Blofeld's Cat (01 May, 2002 03:47 p.m.):

bingo (01 May, 2002 03:31 p.m.):
[It has been confirmed Bond 21 will be released in 2004 Dec, it is a condition for RTL, the German TV station, to air DAD at the same time.

Hang on.

Are you saying that RTL can only premier Die Another Day at the same time as the release of Bond 21?

They will premier DAD in Dec 2004 to coincide with the release of Bond 21. It's part of the deal, and part of the marketing plan for Bond 21.

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 01 May 2002 - 02:47 PM

bingo (01 May, 2002 03:31 p.m.):
[It has been confirmed Bond 21 will be released in 2004 Dec, it is a condition for RTL, the German TV station, to air DAD at the same time.

Hang on.

Are you saying that RTL can only premier Die Another Day at the same time as the release of Bond 21?

#4 Aston-Martin

Aston-Martin

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 08:08 PM

Maybe the Bond series wants to be more like Star Wars :)

I wouldn't call the two-year wait customary. It was a single-year wait for the first four films, then it went to a two-year wait until TMWTGG (in which it was a three-year gap between that and TSWLM) and went back to two until LTK (a six-year hiatus until GE) and has been two-years ever since.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 28 April 2002 - 05:05 AM

I decided that 2005 seemed the most likely date. It will give Pierce another three year break, then he'll have a two year break to Bond 22 (2007) at which stage I'm guessing he'll bow down. The shorter break later seems the most obvious to me. It will show less of an age difference between 21 and 22.

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 11:17 PM

That's very interesting Bingo. Where did you hear that?

It would make sense. Seeing we have Michael Madsens character returning (according to him anyway) to Bond 21, the to 'jog' everyone's memory, or to carry on perhaps a cliffhanger, have the film premiere on TV around the world perhaps a month before the next one hits TV.

#7 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 28 April 2002 - 11:12 PM

I like the three year gap. I said it! There we go! It makes you appreciate Bond more. But hey I'd prefer a 2 and a half year gap better maybe Summer 2005 and christmas 2007 would work better for EON. Then summer 2009 the christmas 2011. Gives them longer. Anyway the next Bond may be willing to make more closer together until he is settled in the part (a good ploy if you ask me... we know Brozzers is good so we can't wait to see his fourth). As Micro Globe said this is all a load of speculation.

#8 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 April 2002 - 05:02 PM

There's a lot of assumption going on here, and I'm sure half of it will be proven false. To be completely honest, I'm not sure MGM will be willing to wait another three years for the next film. The Bond series is their only assured source of major income and, considering the studio's financial situation in the past few years, I think there's going to be a return to the customary two year wait.

Of course, only time will tell. At this point we can do nothing but speculate wildly.

#9 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 28 April 2002 - 12:40 PM

Blue Eyes (28 Apr, 2002 06:05 a.m.):
I decided that 2005 seemed the most likely date. It will give Pierce another three year break, then he'll have a two year break to Bond 22 (2007) at which stage I'm guessing he'll bow down. The shorter break later seems the most obvious to me. It will show less of an age difference between 21 and 22.

I think it's obviously that there will be a Bond movie in 2007. There are 5 years between Die Another Day and Bond 22. So now there are three theories:

(1) The one Blue Eyes has chosen: 2005 and 2007.

(2) Who knows, what do you think if there was a production schedule like in the early 1960s... Maybe in 2007 we will have Bond 23 already.

(3) The last two movies were/are produced from January till Summer, they were/are out in November/December. What if there was another production schedule? E.g. productions start in summer, end in February/March, out in Summer 2007...

Regards,

#10 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 28 April 2002 - 12:15 PM

I got the impression the 3 year gap was simply for DAD to coincide with the 40th anniversary. I then assumed they would go back to a 2 year gap. However last time I rang EON i got the impression the 3 year gap will be a continual thing from now on.

#11 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 28 April 2002 - 08:52 AM

I don't know if it is any good, but I've just asked Yarborough a question. Yes I know he aint the best at giving answers that relate to the question, but it's an attempt anyway. I would guess 2005, may be because they have more time to think up more plots, after all can you think of any that have not alreaby been used? Rule the world, destroy the world, revenge etc.

#12 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 09:22 PM

Aston-Martin (27 Apr, 2002 09:08 p.m.):
I wouldn't call the two-year wait customary.

Of the twenty films including DAD, thirteen have arrived two years after their predecessor. I'd say that a two year gap has been the norm in recent times (barring the legal battle that forced the six year hiatus).

But what I was wondering is whether a 2005 release for Bond 21 is definite, or surmise.

#13 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 28 April 2002 - 11:15 PM

Oh but then there is the thing that Bond 21 will be a direct sequel to Bond20 with the same "Blofeld like" returning villain. EON won't want to leave the coals to cool after Bond 20 esp if the next film relies on the audience remembering the last film! And P&W will have no doubt started writing Bond 21.

#14 bingo

bingo

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 02:31 PM