36 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:27 AM

A little anniversary look back at LTK ==> HERE.

BTW, I was there. :)

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:30 AM

Very nicely put together! Interesting pictures!

#3 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:38 AM

Amazing pictures, I'm very envious of you zencat. :)

I'd love to be at a big Bond premiere like that.

#4 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:50 AM

cool....but fifteen years? Make me feel old....

#5 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:55 AM

Nice work Zencat! The collection really does illustrate what has always been a strong point at EoN...they do know how to publize when they want to.

And I can personally testify that he looks as good in his tux today as he did back then. :-D

-- Xenobia

#6 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:58 AM

Great work, Zen. This is the kind of stuff I love.

I like Tim's longer, shaggier hair at the premier. It's a good look.

#7 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 04:13 AM

Great work, zencat!

Licence To Kill really is a great Bond film. It's just a shame the marketing blew.

And, my, Dalton's hair looks pretty disshevelled, there, at the premiere. Probably wandered straight into the premiere immediately after shooting Sanchez's bloody death scene in the middle of the desert. :)

#8 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 05:04 AM

And Licence to Kill was strong internationally, and in the UK, 6 weeks at number one!! Goldeneye was 4 weeks at number one.

The British knew their Bond better, and rightly so. :)

#9 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 05:10 AM

cool....but fifteen years? Make me feel old....

15 years, I'm feeling old now as well, I can't believe how time flies, I mean in 5 years, it will be 15 years since Goldeneye came out, jesus, speaking of which, it's been 10 years since Brosnan was first announced as Bond.

Makes you think how life is pretty short hey.

#10 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 05:19 AM

15 years since the last great Bond film? wow. :)

#11 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 05:25 AM

15 years since the last great Bond film? wow. :)

*slaps Tarl around with a large trout* :)

#12 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 05:36 AM

Ahh yes, it must a generational thing I guess...except for some like Zencat who refuse to be dissapointed in this series. More power to you. :)

#13 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 05:39 AM

Anyway, I have a Q: I thought LTK opened in the USA July 14 and usually it's always before the U.K. premeire...Did Bonds premiere in U.K. first back then?

#14 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 07:29 AM

BTW, I was there. :)

Maybe we bumped into each other then, although I was outside taking b/w photos for the 007 magazine and trying to come to terms with the fact that a zoom lense at full stretch has no depth of focus, hence the shot of Dalton was a little fuzzy.

Sorry, photo fans.

#15 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:17 AM

[quote name='Tarl_Cabot' date='16 June 2004 - 05:19'] 15 years since the last great Bond film? wow.

#16 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1946 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:55 AM

She should have been called Loopy.

In real life.

"except for some like Zencat who refuse to be dissapointed in this series."
Alot of people live in denial these days... :) :)

The LTK prem must have been great, but I would kill even more to have been at the TLD one.

#17 Atticus17F

Atticus17F

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:05 PM

As for me, I vividly remember catching the premiere.... on TV. :) I'll never forget Talisa Soto explaining to a reporter that her character was a feminist. She said something along the lines of: "If a man wants to me to do something, I.... I tell him.... I tell him, you know.... to do it yourself."

Blimey, I remember her saying that on Wogan's LTK, er, "special". Everyone was dead impressed then, too. Honest. :) I still have that programme on VHS somewhere and it really looks quite odd, even farcical, today. Some of the highlights;

Dalton was quite proud that he learned to scuba-dive for the film. Wogan replied with a bored, "Oh. Great."

Cubby, obviously getting on in years, being assisted on stage (the 10-second intro music stopped and the 15-second silence as he was helped across to his seat was a bit embarrassing. Not Cubby's fault, of course).

I think it was Robert Davi who complained that his champagne tasted funny, forcing Wogan to confess that the bottle of Bolly was actually a prop containing ginger ale (that may have been a joke but I don't think so).

Robert Davi revealed that the iguana scratched the hell out of Taliso Soto when she tried to pick it up. A wooden actress attacked by a rubber iguana. Fantastic.

p.s. "Wogan" was a popular UK chat show in the eighties.

#18 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:52 PM

This is great seeing those photos from the the premiere...... LTK has to be my favorite of Dalton's two outings.....

I'm going to have to get that Schwepps commercial that was on the LTK video release all those years ago on the computer soon.... after my vacation acutally...... would that be something that people would be interested in downloading for themselves?

#19 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 02:45 PM

Anyway, I have a Q: I thought LTK opened in the USA July 14 and usually it's always before the U.K. premeire...Did Bonds premiere in U.K. first back then?

With the exception of TSWLM and AVTAK (which had it's world premiere in San Francisco as a thanks to the city), I think all the pre-GoldenEye Bond films opened in England first.

Ahh yes, it must a generational thing I guess...except for some like Zencat who refuse to be dissapointed in this series. More power to you. :)

Actually, I remember walking out of this premiere VERY disappointed in LTK. It just wasn't what I wanted in a Bond film. I thought they had made a HUGE mistake with the series. It's still not a favorite of mine, but over the years I've come to appreciate it, and even like it, for what it is.

zencat, how come you got to attend the premiere, then? Did you meet any of the filmmakers/cast?

Back then it was just a simple matter of contacting the Prince's Trust and buying a ticket (which wasn't cheap -- I think they ran about $300). I went to the AVTAK, TLD, and LTK premieres. I had incredible experiences at all of them, but the TLD was the best because, though circumstances to involved to go into here (but I

#20 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:23 PM

Actually, I remember walking out of this premiere VERY disappointed in LTK.

You know, if I were God I'd be striking you down for that, zencat.... with a rainstorm of Fleming novels. :)

At the LTK prem I talked to Talisa Soto

You lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky bastard. I Should be so lucky - lucky, lucky, lucky. :) (US CBners may not "get" that piss-weak joke of mine just there.)

Oh, and I miss Wogan's show.

#21 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:31 PM

Actually, I remember walking out of this premiere VERY disappointed in LTK. It just wasn't what I wanted in a Bond film. I thought they had made a HUGE mistake with the series. It's still not a favorite of mine, but over the years I've come to appreciate it, and even like it, for what it is.

Did it appear to you that your view was widely shared by the other attendees? Was the atmosphere "muted"? Did you overhear any choice comments from people? I never saw LICENCE TO KILL on the big screen (too young to get in at the time), but I'll never forget the opening night of GOLDENEYE (the day after the premiere) at the Odeon Leicester Square - it was like a rock concert, and everyone was totally geeking out with enthusiasm over Bond's comeback. It was obvious from the atmosphere that GOLDENEYE was going to be a very big hit indeed, so I guess my real question to you is: was it obvious from the atmosphere at the LTK premiere that the film was going to bomb? Was there a feeling of doom and gloom?

Talking of openings, I believe DIE ANOTHER DAY opened in the UK before it opened Stateside. Hey, it only opened a day earlier over here, or something like that, but, still, we got it first! :)

#22 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 04:17 PM

Did it appear to you that your view was widely shared by the other attendees? Was the atmosphere "muted"? Did you overhear any choice comments from people?

It was muted. I remember feeling a slight lift when Q appeared. Lupe's "I love James, so much" got an unintentional laugh. But the trouble with premieres and screenings is they are always a bit muted. People are sort of there to be there, not really to see the movie. (To combat this, U.S. premieres pack the first 3 rows with hardcore fans just to energize the room.) I've also noticed that English audiences tend to be much more polite and quiet, even when they like the movie. But the feel to the room was definitely different from TLD. I know I felt doom and gloom (the first and last time I would every feel this way coming out of a Bond). But it was also soooo hot that night I think a lot of people were very uncomfortable in their tuxes and evening gowns, so maybe this had something to do with it.

I also saw LTK in Spain (in Spanish) and it was definitely muted but, again, I couldn't really tell if this was good or bad. I was in Europe that whole summer so LTK is the only Bond film I never saw in the U.S.

#23 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 04:35 PM

Great collection pf photos, John. I saw LTK in the theater, don't remember much about it since I was ten at the time.

#24 Kristatos

Kristatos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 04:49 PM

Absolute great work, zencat.
I aws also in London at the Start of LTK, but i haven

#25 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 05:11 PM

I was at the Premiere of GE in 1985 at the Odeon and 2002 at the Royal Premiere of DAD in the Royal Albert Hall.

Now those are two premieres I would have loved to have gone to. The Albert Hall DAD event seemed like the premiere of premieres. I was in London for TWINE and saw a special screening the morning of the premiere via a special JBIFC event. That was very fun.

#26 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 05:28 PM

And Licence to Kill was strong internationally, and in the UK, 6 weeks at number one!! Goldeneye was 4 weeks at number one.

The British knew their Bond better, and rightly so. :)

I thought I read at the time that LTK actually outgrossed TLD in Great Britain. Can anyone either confirm or disprove this?

#27 Moore Not Less

Moore Not Less

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 07:15 PM

I thought I read at the time that LTK actually outgrossed TLD in Great Britain. Can anyone either confirm or disprove this?

I don't have the actual box office numbers, but here is some useful information from the book James Bond - The Legacy (page 233).

In Britain, the movie (LTK) started strongly, but failed to hold on, eventually pulling in just two thirds of the box office of The Living Daylights.

#28 Kristatos

Kristatos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 02:15 PM

Hello Zencat,

i was in 1995 twice in GE in the Premiere at the Odeon and the "Christmas Lunch" of the JBIFC, where we also saw the film in the Odeon and after taht we went to Planet Hollywood for our Meals.
1997 i was also in London attending the Christmas Lunch of the JBIFC. And two days before that, there was an autograph Event at the "Hollywood Cinema Store", nearby the "Forbidden Planet"-Shop. At this Autograph Event there were also Shirley Eaton, Caroline Munro (called be mine "the usual suspects", because both i met very often at the different Events), the Stuntman of Pierce Brosnan of GE (i can`t remember the name), Lois Maxwell and Samantha Bond.

#29 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:28 PM

Thought I'd bump this thread since Wednesday marks the U.S. premiere of LTK. I saw it the Saturday night after it came out. It was one of the early dates I had with my future wife. :)

It's interesting noting that some things changed while others didn't change much at all: Batman was the biggest movie along with Indiana Jones and Lethal Weapon sequels. Now a new Batman is being filmed after a seven-year layoff while a superhero film, Spider-Man 2, is the hottest film at the box office; a Jones sequel is off and on; and Mel Gibson went from big-budget action film hero to director of a big-budget, high-grossing picture about Christ.

Bill Murray went from a Ghostbusters sequel then to earning an Oscar nomination this year. A Star Trek film was poorly received marking what some thought would be the end of the franchise and now the Star Trek franchise is again treading water. A Bush was in the White House, now another one is in the White House. The Beastie Boys brought out Paul's Boutique and now they have a new album.

#30 boggles

boggles

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 05:04 AM

As for me, I vividly remember catching the premiere.... on TV. :) I'll never forget Talisa Soto explaining to a reporter that her character was a feminist. She said something along the lines of: "If a man wants to me to do something, I.... I tell him.... I tell him, you know.... to do it yourself."

Blimey, I remember her saying that on Wogan's LTK, er, "special". Everyone was dead impressed then, too. Honest. :) I still have that programme on VHS somewhere and it really looks quite odd, even farcical, today. Some of the highlights;

Dalton was quite proud that he learned to scuba-dive for the film. Wogan replied with a bored, "Oh. Great."

Cubby, obviously getting on in years, being assisted on stage (the 10-second intro music stopped and the 15-second silence as he was helped across to his seat was a bit embarrassing. Not Cubby's fault, of course).

I think it was Robert Davi who complained that his champagne tasted funny, forcing Wogan to confess that the bottle of Bolly was actually a prop containing ginger ale (that may have been a joke but I don't think so).

Robert Davi revealed that the iguana scratched the hell out of Taliso Soto when she tried to pick it up. A wooden actress attacked by a rubber iguana. Fantastic.

p.s. "Wogan" was a popular UK chat show in the eighties.

View Post

I also remember that edition of Wogan (althrough I must admit I only remember Timothy Dalton on it and a few clips). I would love to see it again just for nostaglia's sake.

It is great that LTK is geeting more recognation than it got when it was released. I do remember than most of the film critics reviews were good with many saying : "The best since Connery left.". Does anyone elase remember if it had favorable reviews.

I never got to see it at the cinema (too young for the 15 certificate at the time), but got to see on ITV (I think it was uncut then because I remember Felix's leg getting ripped off by the shark in an underwater shoot).

I think Fleming would have loved the film. It was as someone else said the first adult Bond film. I don't think we will see its like getting made again.