76 replies to this topic

#1 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 05:53 PM

"They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give them back their heroes!"

Sadly, though, it didn't work out that way. :) From http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/#film2:

"End of the Road for 'Fury Road'

Mad Max: Fury Road, which was to have returned Mel Gibson to the role he made famous in three Australian-filmed action flicks in the late '70s and early '80s, has been scrapped, published reports in Australia said Sunday. Although hundreds of thousands of dollars had already been spent on development of the film, work was halted last week reportedly because of logistical difficulties. Originally set to film last July in Namibia, the production was postponed because of security concerns. Oddly, Namibia, which is mostly Christian and is located in southern Africa, is not regarded as a terrorist target, and no security advisories have been issued for the country. Principal filming had been scheduled for the Kalahari desert, which is sparsely populated. Director George Miller said Sunday that filming could not take place elsewhere because the Kalahari uniquely offers a hard surface for the vehicles that were to be used in the movie. Elsewhere, they would have bogged down, he said."

Edited by doublenoughtspy, 04 July 2010 - 07:42 PM.
Updated info added to subhead

#2 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 06:01 PM

well, can't say I'm surprised, but I would of liked to see a new Mad Max movie.

#3 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 06:03 PM

That truly is disheartening news, but I still don't believe much of what I read on the IMDB.... perhaps there is a glimmer of hope.

#4 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 06:51 PM

I'm disappointed, but part of me feels it may have been for the best. Could they really have recaptured the magic after almost 20 years? Would Gibson have been anything other than fat, past-it and unenthusiastic, doing it only for a vast sum of money, a la Connery in DAF? My biggest fear, though, was that they'd have been forced to "Hollywood it up", that the studios bankrolling the project would have insisted on US co-stars, CGI and generally an American look and feel (as well as, no doubt, a song by Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Metallica, or whoever the heck is popular with the American youth of today). The great thing about the first two MAD MAX flicks, IMO, was their.... well, their Australianness. In the 70s and 80s, the Aussies were brilliant at making movies with a strong, almost dreamlike, atmosphere of weirdness: see, for instance, PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK, LONG WEEKEND and ROADGAMES; and the MAD MAXes were very much part of that tradition. I have the feeling that FURY ROAD, by contrast, would probably have turned out to be much more like yer standard Vin Diesel actioner.

And refusing to go to Namibia because of security concerns? What a bunch of utter, utter scaredy-cats. Pathetic. :) No, it's obvious that no one's heart was really in this one. Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise that the Road Warrior has stalked off into the sunset forever.

And now stay tuned for the official announcement that INDIANA JONES 4 has been cancelled. :)

#5 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 06:57 PM

Was Roadgames that movie with Stacey Keach where he drives a semi truck and witnesses a murder or something?

#6 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:00 PM

That's the one. No classic, but a good little movie (mate :) ) well worth checking out.

Hey, throw another shrimp on the barbie! :)

#7 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:01 PM

And now stay tuned for the official announcement that INDIANA JONES 4 has been cancelled. :)

Then Die Hard 4

#8 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:05 PM

Yeah, that one can be seen coming a mile away, can't it? Bruce Willis will probably come out with something like: "I don't consider it a challenge to play John McClane for the fourth time"/"We don't feel another DIE HARD would be appropriate for today's troubled times" (there won't be any mention of how his agent failed to negotiate a high enough fee for him, or how no one could agree on a script or director).

And expect Sylvester Stallone to spend the next few years, just as he's spent the past 15 years, repeatedly announcing RAMBO IV and ROCKY VI, without ever actually getting round to making those movies.

:)

#9 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:16 PM

I'd pay good money to see Rambo IV.

#10 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:23 PM

I would pay to see Indiana Jones IV instead! :)

#11 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:26 PM

Yeah, so would I. Sadly to say, since he is my favorite actor, but Harrison Ford really needs something to jump start his career.

#12 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:26 PM

Hey, I'd pay good money to see RAMBO IV, MAD MAX 4, ROCKY VI, DIE HARD 4 and INDIANA JONES 4. And I'd have paid good money for JINX, too!

So.... think of all that cash Hollywood's missed out on. $50 or so, if you totted it all up! :)

#13 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1946 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:44 PM

$50. Surely not even that much! :)

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:46 PM

So would I, I was looking forward to that film when it seemed likely it was to happen, now I just do not know.

#15 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:55 PM

I don't know about Indy 4 anymore. They have a script that Ford & Spielberg like, but George Lucas gave it the poo poo and decided to write his own. This makes my skin crawl. It's fine with me if he contributes to a story that they all like, but please God, don't let Lucas write the script!

#16 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:56 PM

I don't know about Indy 4 anymore. They have a script that Ford & Spielberg like, but George Lucas gave it the poo poo and decided to write his own. This makes my skin crawl. It's fine with me if he contributes to a story that they all like, but please God, don't let Lucas write the script!

Quite so, I'd rather see more of Spielberg's influence.

#17 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:06 PM

To add insult to injury, George Miller has said that, instead of doing MAD MAX: FURY ROAD, he'll soon start work on BABE 3. Meanwhile, our very good friends at MGM will reportedly soon be pressing on with their second attempt at making a TV show out of LEGALLY BLONDE (and doubtless another sequel), despite the fact that their first attempt was a fiasco.

Why does Hollywood refuse to make the sequels we all want to see, yet moves heaven and earth to make the ones we don't? :)

Oh, and another thing: why do Americans have to remake everything? Why remake the superb British TV series "The Office"? Why not just screen the original? Why can't they read subtitles and watch non-English language films? Why do they need subtitles on films that are in English anyway (TRAINSPOTTING)? Why can't they cope with Australian accents (they had to go and redub the first MAD MAX)? Grrrr.... :)

#18 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:12 PM

Babe 3 instead of Mad Max!
hold on while I vomit......

#19 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:14 PM

Oh, and another thing: why do Americans have to remake everything? Why remake the superb British TV series "The Office"? Why not just screen the original? Why can't they read subtitles and watch non-English language films? Why do they need subtitles on films that are in English anyway (TRAINSPOTTING)? Why can't they cope with Australian accents (they had to go and redub the first MAD MAX)? Grrrr.... :)

All right, I have an answer to that...... it's because all Americans cannot figure out what Revoked means.

#20 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:20 PM

Exactly. :)

Meanwhile, morons on this side of "the pond" have set about trashing shops, burning cars and throwing missiles at police in their own country in response to an event of such staggering, earthshaking importance as a defeat for England in last night's Euro 2004 match. Honestly, I sometimes wonder whether us Brits ought to be governed directly from Brussels, since I fear for our ability to govern ourselves. Quite why the more civilised Europeans want us in the club is anyone's guess, though. :)

Now, which nation shall I start on next? :)

Nah, forgive me, everyone - just in a bad temper. "Shouty crackers", as Hugh Grant would say. :)

#21 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 02:41 AM

They can't film in Australia? Mel Gibson can still play Max...he wasn't a very physical character. He just oozed bad**ness but he just needs to shoot people and drive. He can do that at 49/50...If Brosnan can play Bond, Gibson can play Max again! :)

#22 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:05 AM

Why does Hollywood refuse to make the sequels we all want to see, yet moves heaven and earth to make the ones we don't? :)

I want to see:
Conan III
Mad max 4
Predator III(not AvsP but I will see that too)
Unbreakable 2/3
The Hobbit
Thomas Crown 2:That Riviera flair :)
X-Men 3
Spiderman 3/4/5.....
Kill Beatrix
Bourne Ultimatum

on the fence:
Rocky VI
Rambo IV
Terminator 4
Episode 7,8,9(depends if G-lU salvages SW with Episode III)
Zorro 2
Pirates of the Carribean 2

Please God no!

ID4 2
Godzilla 2
Shrek 3
MIB 3
Star Trek 11
Daredevil 2
Hulk 2
MI3
INDY 4!!! :)

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:06 AM

Please God no!

ID4 2
Godzilla 2
Shrek 3
MIB 3
Star Trek 11
Daredevil 2
Hulk 2
MI3
INDY 4!!! :)

Jaws...5 :)

#24 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:08 AM

Jaws 5? God help us...Jaws was on Bravo all weekend. Great movie. Why did they have to ruin the integredy of that film with piss poor sequels(after 2 of course)? :)

#25 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:09 AM

Jaws 5? God help us...Jaws was on Bravo all weekend. Great movie. Why did they have to ruin the integredy of that film with piss poor sequels(after 2 of course)? :)

Odd thing is that the director of Jaws 3 worked on the original, and the director of the fourth considered it the only true sequel.

#26 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:11 PM

Odd thing is that the director of Jaws 3 worked on the original, and the director of the fourth considered it the only true sequel.

wasn't that the one where jaws jumps out of the water to attack a landing sea-plane piloted by michael cain?

#27 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:17 PM

wasn't that the one where jaws jumps out of the water to attack a landing sea-plane piloted by michael cain?

Yes, that and many other scenes in Jaws: the Revenge, the shark is on it's tail when it attacks many of the characters.

#28 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 05:52 PM

Hey, Tarl,

In my opinion:

WILL PROBABLY HAPPEN:
X-Men 3
Spiderman 3/4/5.....
Bourne Ultimatum
Zorro 2
Pirates of the Carribean 2
Shrek 3
Star Trek 11

WILL PROBABLY NOT HAPPEN:
Conan III
Mad max 4
Predator III
Unbreakable 2/3
The Hobbit
Thomas Crown 2
Rocky VI
Rambo IV
Terminator 4 (not with Arnie, anyway)
Episode 7,8,9
ID4 2
Godzilla 2
MIB 3
Daredevil 2
Hulk 2
INDY 4

FILMING AS I TYPE THIS:
MI3

#29 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 05:55 PM

The Hobbit

Oh no? I think they'd go ahead with this one.

#30 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 06:16 PM

The Hobbit

Oh no? I think they'd go ahead with this one.

I think Peter Jackson said that after filming King Kong he may possibly start The Hobbit, haven't heard much about it recently. As for King Kong I don't see why they want to tarnish such a classic.

And what's all this about bringing back all these old 80's franchises? Can't they just leave the original films alone? I suppose the almighty dollar prevails once again.