38 replies to this topic

#1 luciusgore

luciusgore

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1032 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 03:10 PM

Did anyone see Pierce Brosnan on Jay Leno last night? I missed it. I wonder if he talked Bond.

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 03:11 PM

Zero Bond talk other than a mention that he has played James Bond.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 03:22 PM

Was it put in the past tense, Mr. A?

#4 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 03:28 PM

Was it put in the past tense, Mr. A?

Not really, essentially Leno asked him if when he was dating if he said

#5 Methos

Methos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 252 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 03:56 PM

I saw the Leno appearance last night and found the lack of Bond talk to be rather conspicuous. Leno is an L.A. entertainment industry guy and likely did'nt want to make Pierce feel uncomfortable. I would'nt doubt that Leno had agreed with Pierce, prior to the interview, to stay off the topic of Bond.

Now, I did see a little more of the same from Brosnan on his appearance with Julianne Moore on 'The View' this morning. The lady hosts prodded him about Bond and he reiterated that his four film contract had expired and he really did'nt know whether or not he would be returning for a fifth and if they wanted him, they knew where to get a hold of him. What I found really amusing, is that one of the women flatly stated that after the success of his previous films, 'they' would be stupid to not have him back. She then, just prior to commercial break, looked into the camera and said something to the effect of 'stop being stupid and give this man a call!!'. Brosnan had a good laugh and did'nt say anything, or may have, but they cut to commercial.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 04:09 PM

I was going to say, maybe it's a good sign (for Pierce fans) that PB didn't do his song and dance on The Tonight Show. Maybe he finally got his call. Of course, The View suggests otherwise, but is The View taped?

#7 Methos

Methos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 252 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 05:57 PM

Hmmm...ya bring up a good point Zencat. I went to the website for 'The View' and it stated that there would be no live audience on April 30th. That would suggest that this particular episode had been pre-recorded. The website further stated that webcaps from today's episode would be posted at 4pm today...I'm assuming that's EST. Here's the link:
The View Website

#8 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 06:32 PM

I'm getting the "vibe" (aka: word from the Leno Show) that Brosnan is just tired of talking about this whole Bond situation. *shrug* I think I would be too. When you've said all you can really say on the mater over and over and over again, repeating ones self again just seems pointless.

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:06 PM

I totally forgot he was on last night! Ugh. It seems like it wasn't a huge deal though, as Brosnan has already commented about his situation as Bond now.

#10 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:19 PM

I was going to stay up and watch it, but am glad I didn't.

On the Live With Regis and Kelly show last week, all Regis did at the beginning of the show was talk about Bond until Pierce said "Let's not (talk about the character). Funny considering he's the one who has brought up the subject to begin with anyway in how many prior interviews.

Are journalists or talk show hosts wrong to talk to a public figure about something in the news, something they are known primarily for?

#11 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:22 PM

I would have asked him how it felt to have George Clooney playing Remington Steele in the feature film version of the series Brosnan was known for before Bond. THAT would have gotten a wonderful reaction, I am sure!

#12 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:31 PM

Are journalists or talk show hosts wrong to talk to a public figure about something in the news, something they are known primarily for?

Not at all. But it's up to the "star" wether they want to talk about it or not.

#13 Moore Not Less

Moore Not Less

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:46 PM

Not at all. But it's up to the "star" wether they want to talk about it or not.

As far as I am concerned, journalists and talk show hosts would not be doing their job properly if they didn't ask a public figure/"star" about something in the news or something they are known primarily for. And yes, it is up to the public figure/"star" whether he or she wishes to talk about it or not.

#14 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 09:07 PM

As far as I am concerned, journalists and talk show hosts would not be doing their job properly if they didn't ask a public figure/"star" about something in the news or something they are known primarily for. And yes, it is up to the public figure/"star" whether he or she wishes to talk about it or not.

Journalists, I agree with you. Talk show hosts, not so much. Talk shows are meant to be more fun, than informative. The talk show host doesn

#15 Bond Bug

Bond Bug

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 10:58 PM

Brosnan was on a British show and was asked who he thought would be good to play Bond after the NEXT Bond. They actually asked him about being replaced after his fifth. He gave a few names, Owen and Jackman I think, but didn't correct them or make any other comments.

#16 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 12:44 AM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' date='30 April 2004 - 21:07'] [quote name='Moore Not Less' date='30 April 2004 - 15:46'] As far as I am concerned, journalists and talk show hosts would not be doing their job properly if they didn't ask a public figure/"star" about something in the news or something they are known primarily for.  And yes, it is up to the public figure/"star" whether he or she wishes to talk about it or not. [/quote]
Journalists, I agree with you. Talk show hosts, not so much. Talk shows are meant to be more fun, than informative. The talk show host doesn

#17 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 02:40 PM

About The View I think at least that clip with Julianne and Pierce had to be taped, because while on Leno, he told Jay that he was looking forward to going home that night being with his wife. *ahem*

I figured Leno and Pierce had worked it out that the Bond series would not come up, and yeah, I guess Pierce is tired to having to talk about it, when he should be talking about his movie.

-- Xenobia

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 09:58 PM

Pierce gave a very good interview on The Tavis Smiley Show on Friday (Smiley claims to be a "huge" Bond fan), and again the topic of Bond was all but avoided. I find this very curious.

I wrote up a little main page article HERE, and linked to this thread for continued discussion.

#19 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 10:17 PM

Nice article by the way Zen...

:)

#20 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 10:25 PM

Regarding zencat's article, there is one of several possible reasons for Brosnan's recent silence (which you touched on very well zen), but I feel it may still be a little early to say. I watched the Leno interview, and it seems more likely Leno and Pierce agreed not to broach the Bond topic at all (instead to talk family matters and about "Laws").

I find that the way Clive Owen behaved in his latest interview (someone described it as twitching his ears and saying "that's only a rumour") more interesting. It wasn't an out and out denial (i.e. "I have never spoken to the producers"), which leads me to believe something may be up, ahead of Pierce's recent interviews.

We'll just have to see.

#21 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 10:34 PM

Thanks guys. It was the Tavis Smiley interview more than the Leno one that made me sit up and take notice. It was clear Tavis was itching to talk about Bond, yet they didn't. Certainly an interview like this was not a powder-puff promotional stop like The Tonight Show, but a place to really sound off (Pierce called the U.S. government "men of war" for crying out loud). To avoid taking a shot at the producers in a forum that was made for "straight talk"...kind of curious.

#22 Bond Bug

Bond Bug

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 10:37 PM

Good article Zencat

Yes on a British show Brosnan clearly wasn't talking Bond either

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 10:40 PM

Good work on this article, Zen.

#24 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 10:48 PM

Good article Zencat

Yes on a British show Brosnan clearly wasn't talking Bond either

Really? Which show? Maybe I can work that into the article.

#25 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 01:45 AM

I think with Hugh Jackman and Clive Owen's recent denials that they haven't spoken to the producers, and Pierce's sudden retience, in combination with the fact that LoA will probably place in the top five, if not the top three movies this weekend, leads me to believe that Mr. Brosnan will be back after all, but that may be really wishful thinking on my part.

-- Xenobia

#26 Bond Bug

Bond Bug

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 09:57 AM

Brosnan went further than ever to suggest he had finished with Bond in the UK show This Morning

Asked: "What about Colin Farrell for 007?"

Brosnan replied: "Colin. No! I think he's a great actor but I don't think he's right for Bond.

"Some of the names that will be top of my list are Clive Owen, who's a fine actor, and Hugh Jackman, who is also a very fine actor."

He then said: "I was trained and led to believe that I could do anything and I've been pigeon holed. It's time in my life to step outside the box."

#27 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 02:07 PM

I found it annoying that Pierce slightly broached the subject of not coming back and Tavis changed the subject.

Also I was amazed that Pierce said he had not seen Everything Or Nothing. You would thing he would at least want to see what they did to his image. Way to talk up the game Pierce. :)

#28 Moore Not Less

Moore Not Less

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:24 PM

I think with Hugh Jackman and Clive Owen's recent denials that they haven't spoken to the producers, and Pierce's sudden retience, in combination with the fact that LoA will probably place in the top five, if not the top three movies this weekend, leads me to believe that Mr. Brosnan will be back after all, but that may be really wishful thinking on my part.

-- Xenobia

Here are the top ten estimated US ticket sales for April 30 - May 2 .

1. Mean Girls - $25 million
2. Man on Fire - $15.2 million
3. 13 Going on 30 - $10 million
4. Laws of Attraction - $7 million
5. Godsend - $6.9 million
6. Envy - $6.1 million
7. Kill Bill - Vol 2 - $5.8 million
8. The Punisher - $3.4 million
9. Home on the Range - $2.2 million
10. Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed - $2.1 million

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4885685/

I still think that Pierce Brosnan will be 007 in Bond 21.

Edited by Moore Not Less, 03 May 2004 - 05:31 PM.

#29 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:07 PM

Given what he was going against, I'd say having your movie come in at number four isn't so bad for Brosnan.

-- Xenobia

#30 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:23 PM

Right, it got beat by 13 Going on 30 and Mean Girls. :) Hardly, Lord Of The Rings or Spiderman. Many weeks of the year $7 million would barely make the top ten.