26 replies to this topic

#1 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 01:05 PM

Firstly, someone said a while ago that TD was welsh. Well, he was'nt. He was born in wales and both his parents were english and he grew up in Manchester. Ok, now thats sorted, has anyone ever noticed he has a bit of an accent in LTK. Well not throughout the whole movie, but when he wakes up at Sanchez's house and goes down stairs, he speaks with an accent. When he is speaking to FS he says 'things could have turned nasty'. When he says nasty, he sounds like he is from the north of engalnd with his accent.

#2 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 23 May 2002 - 11:46 PM

If you don't mind me asking General K, how recent is your ancestry, on both sides?

#3 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 11:48 PM

Ignore that post above General K.

You've answered my question.

I should learn to read.

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 24 May 2002 - 01:17 AM

In regards to his accent, I have always found it grating when he says to Sanchez about his ordeal with the ninja's: "things were about to get nass-ty."

#5 WillieGarvin

WillieGarvin

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 05:25 AM

According to Timothy Dalton,he's of Irish,English and Italian heritage.His mother was an Italian-American from Long Island,NY.,and his father was of Irish/English heritage.Dalton was born in Wales,but doesn't consider himself to be Welsh.Check out his webpage for details.

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 24 May 2002 - 05:51 AM

WillieGarvin (24 May, 2002 06:25 a.m.):
According to Timothy Dalton,he's of Irish,English and Italian heritage.His mother was an Italian-American from Long Island,NY.,and his father was of Irish/English heritage.Dalton was born in Wales,but doesn't consider himself to be Welsh.Check out his webpage for details.

Timothy Dalton has a web site!?

Any chance of posting the url for us, Willie? :)

#7 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 04:23 PM

How can Dalton not be Welsh if he was born in Wales? You've lost me there.

He was brought up in the North of England which is why he has that accent. Being a trained actor probably accounts for why you don't often hear the accent come through.

#8 WillieGarvin

WillieGarvin

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 05:17 PM

Here's the url for Timothy Dalton's Official Home Page:

http//www.timothydalton.com

And for a detailed biography of Tim go to:

Who2 Profile:Timothy Dalton--
http://www.who2.com/timothydalton.html

this will take you directly to Kimberly Last's website which carries just about all the information currently available on every one of the actors who've played 007.She features sections on each of the movie Bonds--all very through,and her section on Timothy Dalton is excellent.

#9 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 05:33 PM

If Dalton's mum was Italian-American, was she just 'an Italian living in America' or was she the daughter of an Italian and an American? And if the latter is true, and the American is of British descent, does that rule out Dalton talking like an American? Or am I crazy? I think I am.

#10 Dalton

Dalton

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 05:46 PM

Carver (23 May, 2002 02:05 p.m.):
He was born in wales and both his parents were english and he grew up in Manchester.

Not entirly correct my friend. Tim Dalton I believe was born in Wales. But he lived a lot of his youth in a small town in Derbyshire called Belper. This is to be comfirmed in a James Bond Documentary that was televised in England to Tribute Cubby Broccoli.

Being from the same town as Tim Dalton lived in for so long I couldn't help myself but point this out.

The accent that is prominent in certain parts of LTK, is quite common in certain parts of Derbyshire.

#11 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 07:19 PM

Victor Zokas (23 May, 2002 06:11 p.m.):
How can Dalton not be Welsh if he was born in Wales? You've lost me there.

Hasn't he always claimed to be of Welsh nationality?
I'm sure that nearly all the Bond reference books I've read, state that he is Welsh.

I guess it depends on how you see nationality.
Some see it as where you are born, others see it as where your parents come from.
I tend to agree with the former, rather than the latter.

#12 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 08:01 PM

No, TD has'nt always said that he is welsh, his has cosidered himself to be english. I see it as where you grew up, and he grew up in england and his parents were english.

#13 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 09:09 PM

#14 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 09:18 PM

There's an "interesting" conflict of laws issue about the difference between nationality and domicile on that point...stop snoring.

Back to the point. The accent in Licence to Kill is all over the place

Appropriate

#15 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 10:01 PM

Isn't Dalton's mother American?

The Welsh and the English are the same nationality (British).

#16 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 11:02 PM

Well, I and my parents were born in Canada, but I consider myself to be of Irish/English/Polish blood. So it depends what you think.

#17 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:18 PM

Let's see... Terence Young was born in Shanghai. Does that make him Chinese?

Guy Hamilton was born in Paris. Is he French?

Roger Spottiswoode was born in Ottawa, Canada. Does that make him Canadian?

#18 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:41 PM

No.

No.

Yes (his father worked in Canada for several years before taking his son 'home' (my nationalist opinion, of course. :P )

I always thought Tim Curry was Welsh too, because he and Dalton pronounce 'sound' the same way (Bond: "Make a sewnd and your dead." Frank N. Furter: "Let me show you arewnd, maybe play you a sewnd - you look like you're both pretty GROOVAY!"), but I guess that's just a northern thing (Curry was born in Cheshire, so I suppose that makes him a cat).

Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor: "Lots of planets have a north!"

#19 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

Dalton was born in North Wales but grew up in Derbyshire-  and Cheshire sits between the two, which explains the similarity between his and Curry's accent.

I quite like the way Dalton's accent slips occasionally ( "E wants yuh dead", being my favourite)

Daniel Craig is also from Cheshire,(he was born, like me, in Chester) but has no trace of a local accent.

#20 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

I like Dalton's accent. Sometimes when students act up I tell them "I don't get mad - I just get nastay."

#21 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:02 AM

I'm American so I know nothing about accents, but am I correct in assuming that Craig has little or no northern in his accent? Let alone Scottish? Which is a bit of a problem in SF, seeing as how Bond's going back to Scotland where he grew up. Maybe all those years of school drummed it out of him?

#22 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

Desmond Llewelyn ("Q") was Welsh. Does his accent sound like Dalton's?

Terry Jones ("Monty Python") was born in Colwyn Bay, North Wales, same as Dalton. Does his accent sound like Dalton's?

No?

For what it's worth, Dalton's accent bothers me to no end. Too thick for my liking... and not in a good Sean Connery sort of way, either.

#23 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

Timothy Dalton was indeed born in Wales, but he's not a northerner but an East Midlander, as I am - brought up in the Derbyshire town of Belper, about fourteen miles from where I live. I'm chuffed that an East Midlander became James Bond, and I was amused by that line in LTK in which the word "nasty" came up. I'm also quite chuffed that the Nottinghamshire town of Worksop - again not too far from where I am - was the birthplace of Donald Pleasance. A Bond and a Blofeld within easy driving distance!

Now, if you want to talk about really strong accents, try 006 himself, Sean Bean. Trevelyan's cut glass English almost slipped into broad Yorkshire - which is how Bean talks in real life, coming from Sheffield - when he ordered the armoured train to "ram 'im!" 

This whole accent argument makes me think of a comment made by a former Speaker of our House of Commons, George Thomas, a man with a very pronounced Welsh accent. Intervening in a heated debate between two MPs with strong regional dialects, Speaker Thomas said "There are many accents in the House of Commons. I only wish I had one myself!" It brought the house down! (Not literally, of course!)

#24 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:27 AM

As the venerable Mr. Haines says, it's a Derbyshire accent, though diluted with Received Pronoucation - which he would've picked up at grammar school, RADA and the National Youth Theatre.

#25 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

His accent is hot. 

end of story.

#26 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:12 PM

His accent is hot. 

end of story.

My girlfriend thinks the same thing. You guys are both right. :)

#27 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:32 AM

It only goes to show what having a Derbyshire accent - with received pronunciation from grammar school and theatre, as The Shark points out - does for a man! :) 

(And it's not only the accents that are hot around my neck of the woods at the moment - so is the weather, unusually so!)