129 replies to this topic

#91 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 01:09 AM

Looking back (as always, with 20/20 hindsight vision), I think us fans were pretty "lucky" to have Benson as novelisation writer as well as continuation novelist. I was pretty down on Benson's novelisations in the past, but he really did do a very good job, particularly (IMO) with TOMORROW NEVER DIES. Imagine if they'd given the novelisations to some couldn't-care-less hack with no enthusiasm for Bond whatsoever. Could have been much, much worse.

Oh yes, I love that one, and also The World is not Enough more and more, every successive time I read them. He really takes the plot and infuses it with the literary style of his own, and it works, really, really well.

#92 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 01:41 AM

One of the interesting points in the Benson interviews is how hostile Eon (and Glidrose) were when the writer began his Bedside Companion project. The reason I say interesting is because the Commander Bond Web site has an editorial criticizing Eon for not commenting about whether Brosnan is staying or not. That editorial makes it sound like Cubby wouldn't handle this way. Based on Benson's description, it sounds like Eon is pretty much operating the way it always has.

#93 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 03:26 PM

Good point, Napoleon Solo. Eon has been historically hostile, even in Cubby

#94 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 05:45 PM

Zencat, after reading what you have managed to do with Benson, I have decided that when I grow up, I wanna do what you do. I know, since I am 27, that's a long way off yet, but I can hope and dream, can't I? {wink, wink, nudge, nude}

#95 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 05:57 PM

[quote name='ChandlerBing' date='12 April 2004 - 09:45'] Zencat, after reading what you have managed to do with Benson, I have decided that when I grow up, I wanna do what you do.

#96 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 05:59 PM

Zencat, after reading what you have managed to do with Benson, I have decided that when I grow up, I wanna do what you do. I know, since I am 27, that's a long way off yet, but I can hope and dream, can't I? {wink, wink, nudge, nude}

Dang! How old is zencat, anyway?

*Loomis pictures a wizened old Gandalf lookalike stroking his long white beard as he taps away at the keyboard*

Hey, gramps, OCTOPUSSY was on TV today in the UK. Starred that guy who was Bond when you could still get it up - Moore, I think his name was. :)

#97 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 06:04 PM

LOL.

Gandalf... I like that. :)

#98 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 06:05 PM

I was kidding about the age thing! Zencat, I was just kidding, I enjoy coming to this site. I really have enjoyed hearing about what you do, and I am serious that it's something to aspire to. I am a grad student and a writer, and it's good to hear about someone who's making a living doing what they do, and clearly enjoying it.

#99 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 06:07 PM

Thanks, ChandlerBing. I wish you the best of luck. :)

#100 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:55 PM

Another good chapter.

Have to say I think I prefer his title suggestions to those of the publishers'. Not sure I like the idea of producing the whole work yourself (subject to editing) and then have someone else "know better" to enforce a title on you.

#101 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:59 PM

More hugely amusing stuff here.

Looks like the old maxim comes true: "It may be the writer's art, but it's the publisher's business."

There are other more convoluted ones, much to the same effect, about writers giving birth, but publishers paying to bring the child up etc etc.

#102 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 02:14 PM

This interview rocks!!!

#103 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 04:18 PM

Thanks guys.

Part IV will be up later today or tonight.

#104 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:36 PM

PART IV is up now.

Even those who are not followers of the books I think will enjoy this last part because we talk about the novelizations -- it's all about the movies. :)

Enjoy!

#105 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:55 PM

Great!
Since you posted the first part I have been eagerly anticipating the following ones. Is this the final part or is there more to come?

#106 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:03 PM

Great!
Since you posted the first part I have been eagerly anticipating the following ones. Is this the final part or is there more to come?

That's it. After something like 150 questions, I think I've asked everything I could think of. I couldn't do another part if I tried.

#107 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:13 PM

Just got done reading it. Great work zencat. All four parts were thoroughly enjoyable and really gave a great insight into the man behind the books.

It was great to see that question about Fan Fiction answered too. I was wondering about that.

Great articles.

Do you have any more lined up? Perhaps one with Gardner?

#108 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:22 PM

I do believe the series has come to an end :) But it went out with a bang! :) I wonder if Raymond will start reading fan-fiction now that his tenure is up?

#109 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:25 PM

Tanger, I have a few lined up ...and ZenCat well, he's workin' it :)

As for the interview. I think it's safe to say that this one was my favorite. Thank You Raymond Benson (& see you on the 24th)!!!

#110 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:26 PM

Just got done reading it. Great work zencat. All four parts were thoroughly enjoyable and really gave a great insight into the man behind the books.

It was great to see that question about Fan Fiction answered too. I was wondering about that.

Great articles.

Do you have any more lined up? Perhaps one with Gardner?

I saved the fan fiction question for last...but I suspected this would be the answer. I'm thinking about other interviews, but I don't have any lined up (but other Team members sure do -- the "CBn Interview" WILL return :)). I thought about Gardner and I may do it -- we started a bit of an email relationship when I did my Saab article. Trouble is, there are SO many very good Gardner interviews on the net already (two of the better ones are at Universal Exports and Dr. Shatterhand) and Raymond Benson did a terrific retrospective interview/article with him in

#111 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:38 PM

Part 4 is fantastic. Raymonds thoughts on the novelizations being an "add-on" with more scenes backstory, and not just a "carbon-copy" of the film were very interesting, so was the fact that the amount of creative freedom he had seemed to vary from book to book.

Since there is no current "adult Bond" author, and that they'll presumably be a novelization for Bond 21, will there be any chance that Raymond will be asked to write it ?

#112 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 01:05 AM

Wow, a great end to a great interview. Truly excellent work, John. :)

#113 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:12 AM

What more can I say?

He wrote fantastic novels, and the novelizations are quite terrific. He knows how to write Bond and did the job very well. I'm honored that we got to here his many sides of the job on it.

A real class act.

Thanks to Raymond Benson and Zencat for making it work really well.

#114 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:15 AM

Great stuff, Mr. Cox. Thoroughly entertaining and informative. :)

And thanks for submitting my question. Appreciate it. :)

#115 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 04:43 AM

Fantastic stuff, zen.

I love when stuff comes out later that shows the PR spin that went on when filming the movies. I know we all remember that Renny

#116 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 04:45 AM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' date='15 April 2004 - 20:43'] Fantastic stuff, zen.

I love when stuff comes out later that shows the PR spin that went on when filming the movies. I know we all remember that Renny

#117 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:21 AM

It amazes me that even with his hands tied, Benson was still able to get in there and brighten up some of the darker corners of the story.

He is still my hero for making Paris Carver make A LOT more sense in his book than she did in the movie.

I also find it curious that he is able to draw a line between the novelizations and his own novels. If I were in his shoes, I am not sure if I could do that, but then again, my connections to the series a much different than his.

I congratulate you again on a fantastic interview Zencat, and I thank Raymond Benson for giving us such a great interview.

-- Xenobia

#118 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:08 AM

Thanks Zencat for this great interview of Raymond Benson.
sometimes i've read in this forum awfull things about him!! As he is a friend of mine I was offended for him because IMO it didn't give honor to his wonderful work and passion for Bond.
I hope tis interview will help to give fans a better opinon about the man, his work, his books.
Thanks again Zencat

#119 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 08:17 AM

Spin, spin, spin... You never get the real story until after that fact--and that's a fact.

Hmmm - but then you won't get the real real story until you interview the publisher and are able to compare the two tales.

Still, an entertaining perception of events, brilliantly presented.

#120 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 08:29 AM

Tip top stuff.

Thoroughly entertaining.