This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Should Jaws and Dolly have died at the end of MR?

25 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 09:58 PM

Okay, another thread on death made me think of this in the shower (yes, I think about James Bond movies and death in the shower) and I have a thought about the end of MOONRAKER.

Near the end there's a moment that I really like when Jaws and his girlfriend Dolly find each other left alone on the space station and they sit down with champagne -- resigned to their fate -- and Jaws has his one and only line in the series: "Well, here's to us." Then, I believe, they help out Bond, the space station breaks off, and we later learn form a control room technician that "A tall man and a small blonde woman" were rescued. So Jaws and Dolly made it after all.

But what if they didn't?

What if we got the "Well, here's to us" line and then, boom! The station break apart. Jaws and Dolly die. I don't mean to make the kiddies cry, but wouldn't this have been an interesting way to sort of bring the movie back down to earth and negate the silly aspect of the Jaws Dolly relationship? These two figures of silliness become tragic and very noble in the end, greeting death bravely. It all seems to work on the huge, sometimes silly (but always entertaining) operatic scale that Moonraker plays on.

I don't know. Maybe it would be too much of a shock after the lightness of the movie. But, remember, Moonraker has some dark moments (the dogs killing Corrine) and while this would have been tragic, the happiness they show just being together before their death would have made it strangely beautiful, not dark at all. And certainly NOT silly. Even in Moonraker, people die. It would have been a very strong punctuation and a clever (and brave) way to restate the underlying danger and reality of the world of James Bond at the end of one of the more unrealistic movies.

Thoughts?

#2 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:03 PM

:) don't know maybe was not the right way to finish with the "Jaws" character...

#3 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:03 PM

It would certainly bring the end of film in line with the 1st half of the film, which is very good and very suspenseful. I suspect Jaws survived Moonraker to allow the potential of him returning in another film.

#4 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:05 PM

I always thought they did die when I was a kid- the news of their survival isn't exactly made clear. So when I saw it again in my teens I was both pleased to learn they didn't die and yet disappointed that the producers threw away what had, up until then for me, been a great redemption sub-story for Jaws. When you think they're about to die, their helping Bond is almost pretty moving (although I'm still not sure why he doesn't offer them a lift).
Smacks of last minute mind changing to me.

#5 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:06 PM

What if we got the "Well, here's to us" line and then, boom!

Wouldn't that have been just as likely to make people piss themselves laughing as to make them feel moved? Difficult to push viewers into the "right" response with a "banana skin" moment like that.

Personally, I think it was right to let Jaws and Dolly live.... happily ever after. Presumably Jaws did a few years in prison after he and his woman were rescued, though, for his part in Drax's (and Stromberg's) crimes against humanity.

#6 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:08 PM

They shouldn't even have been in the [censored]ing movie to begin with!

#7 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:10 PM

I think it was a good move to let them live as well, though an even better one would have been to keep Jaws a villain and ditch the love story angle. It just seemed to be something from a different movie.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:12 PM

Personally, it seems like they just threw the line in thay they were resuced so they wouldn't have to further explain how exactly they did survive.

Personally, I wouldn't have minded seeing them die in the film, or they could've just kept it a mystery and left to the viewer to decide what happened. It was fitting to see them have the drink together, that was fine for me.

In any case, we would then be discussing in that case if they did survive or not. :)

#9 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 11:20 PM

Simply removing the line about them rescued would have made Moonraker a better movie. I

#10 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 12:41 AM

There's also another line, by Bond to Goodhead, where he says "Don't worry, they'll make it" or something along those lines.

When they sit down with the wine and Jaws says "Well, here's to us", it does look like that they've accepted the fact that they aren't getting back to earth. First time I saw it I assumed that they'd die the honourable death, like Mayday in A View to a Kill.

Although that example aside, generally sacrifical lambs die in the middle of the film, so that the smell of their untimely demise isn't lingering come the end.

#11 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 24 February 2004 - 01:51 AM

When they sit down with the wine and Jaws says "Well, here's to us", it does look like that they've accepted the fact that they aren't getting back to earth.

Yes, I've read it this too.

I think an explosion soon after Jaws' toast to Dolly would've been OK, as long as it wouldn't have the "banana skin" effect.

Mind you, I wish she wasn't in the movie at all, but I'm stuck with her.

Or, how about this: The module seperates, Bond takes Holly "around the world one more time," then the module collides with Blofeld's diamond laser satellite from Diamonds Are Forever creating a huge explosion. The End.

#12 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 01:28 PM

I've never really given this much thought before, but after consideration I agree with Zencat. A shot of Jaws' and Dolly's rescue pod blowing up after "that line" would have been very dramatic, and perhaps concluded a Bond film with its biggest tearful moment since OHMSS. Seeing how ludicrously comic book MR was at times, something like this might really have helped hide that somewhat. Also, it's not like you wouldn't have the "attempting re-entry" gag before the credits come down to help cheer you up again.

#13 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 03:28 PM

Jaws and Dolly fell out of the sky and landed in a Circus tent and survived. jk.

#14 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 06:33 PM

I've never really given this much thought before, but after consideration I agree with Zencat. A shot of Jaws' and Dolly's rescue pod blowing up after "that line" would have been very dramatic, and perhaps concluded a Bond film with its biggest tearful moment since OHMSS.

Wow, they'd certainly have squeezed a fair old amount of mileage out of the Jaws character if they'd gone down that route: in just one movie he'd have served as villain's hechman, comic relief, Bond's ally and sacrificial lamb, being used for virtually every purpose save love interest for 007 (but Jaws does hook up with a woman of his own!). MOONRAKER would have verged on being a Richard Kiel vehicle about Jaws' life, loves, crimes and redemption, instead of a Roger Moore Bond outing! :)

#15 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 09:35 AM

you know I am not the biggest Moonraker fan.. I think it is maybe Roger's worst one... maybe because of the epic feel & to much humor..

BUT

a Joke they missed is..

*When Jaws smiles to Dolly when they first meet & Dolly is just about to smile back.. (((( They should have had Dolly have Braces on her Teeth )))) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:42 AM

Definately

#17 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 10 March 2004 - 09:41 AM

When Jaws smiles to Dolly when they first meet & Dolly is just about to smile back.. (((( They should have had Dolly have Braces on her Teeth ))))

You know what? For a while after watching The Spy Who Loved Me in the cinema for the first time I had it in my mind that Dolly did have braces for some reason, and was kind of surprised that she didn't after seeing it a second time later on.

#18 Q-Zar

Q-Zar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:29 AM

Me too, at first for some reason I always thought she had braces, exactly because it would make a great joke with two metallic smiles.

#19 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 03:33 PM

LOL!

Braces would have been great. :)

#20 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 03:37 PM

Bond should have woken up at the end of Moonraker, telling us that everything with Jaws was all just a sick joke on someone's part. We apologize for losing our way with Bond, folks, but we'll make it up to you with the next one, we promise.

#21 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 08:11 PM

Ah, I had always thought for some reason she did have braces, but then repeated viewings of the film, revealed that she didn't. At least I'm not alone, in the thought that we thought or think she did/should have.

Although, it might have been a bit too far out then...

#22 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 01:23 AM

Ah, I had always thought for some reason she did have braces, but then repeated viewings of the film, revealed that she didn't. At least I'm not alone, in the thought that we thought or think she did/should have.

Although, it might have been a bit too far out then...

True, and may have given the impression that their age difference was too unnatural, if you know what I mean.

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 01:26 AM

Yes, I see. I think the height difference was well enough of a difference between them to point out that they are very different, yet still love eachother.

#24 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 04:11 AM

You mean she didn't have braces?!

#25 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 04:13 AM

No, she has just teeth, didn't you notice it DLibrasnow?

#26 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 04:14 AM

For some reason I always thought she had braces!