78 replies to this topic

#1 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:15 PM

Do you have a favorite arnie movie? Mine's Commando. Great action, great score, and of coarse Arnold is great. Runner-up is Eraser.

What's your fav?

#2 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:29 PM

"Raw Deal" has always been a guilty pleasure.

It's truly an Ah-nuld film for a couple of reasons.

- It lives up to it's title: Do the three-minute test - Every three minutes, someone gets a Raw Deal or during the dialog it is revealed that someone got a Raw Deal. You either witness it or hear about it.

- Arnold (defending the actions that got his character kicked out of the FBI because he brought a guy in with "half the bones in his body broken") "That case with the 17 year old girl? He molested, murdered and mutilated her." - Now THAT's acting. With conviction too.

- The raid on the gravel pit with the Rolling Stones "Satisfaction" is a sight to behold.

Damn good mindless fun!

:)

#3 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:36 PM

Junior, LOL. :)

#4 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:37 PM

Does anything honestly compare to T2: Judgment Day? I think not.

#5 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:41 PM

I've only seen bits and pieces of "Raw Deal" Bryce, but from what I've seen it looks cool.

Here are my favorite Governator movies:

-The Terminator

- Total Recall

- T2: Judgement Day

- Eraser

-T3: Rise of the Machines

- True Lies (the closest Arnold will be to playing James Bond!)

- Commando

- Conan the Barbarian (definitely a lot better than Conan the Destroyer)

- Red Heat with James Belushi

and believe it or not, i actuall thought he made a very good Mr. Freeze in Batman and Robin (I'm probably one of the few people around who liked that film :) )

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:42 PM

I actually haven't seen to many of his older one's, but I did enjoy True Lies. That film has style, action and great comedy in it. I'm fond of many of the characters including the Harry's co-worker. Tom Arnold stars as him, I believe.

The film has many great scenes including the Tango with Juno Skinner. Tom Arnold caps it off with a great line:

"C'mon Harry, times ticking, ditch the bitch." :)

It's just a plain fun film. Pretty good.

#7 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:44 PM

Predator

Kindergarden Cop is not far behind

"It's not a tumor!!!"

#8 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:44 PM

Ahh! I forgot to add The Running Man to my list. It was really fun seeing Arnold going up against Richard Dawson!! Made me laugh immagining what Arnold would have been like if he were ever on Family Feud!!

#9 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:50 PM

I love The Terminator best. T2 and T3 are 2nd and third.

Raw Deal and Running Man are also good.

#10 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 09:00 PM

T2 , Predator and Comando! :) Go Arnie Go!

#11 taxman2001

taxman2001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 374 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 09:30 PM

Well it's either TOTAL RECALL or TRUE LIES.

Too difficult to call really.

Unless you asked for the worst ah-nuld movie in which it would be JUNIOR.

#12 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 09:33 PM

Conan the Barbarian and Predator are his top classics, imho. The first terminator and Total recall are the second tier and Commando, T3 and Raw Deal are the third tier. I don't like Bond rip offs unless they're funny like Austin Power so I wasn't a fan of True lies.

He has made some very dissapointing films too: Conan 2, T2,The Last Action hero, The Sixth Day and Eraser. :)

#13 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 09:35 PM

Aside from Junior, Batman and Robin and Jingle All the Way, I enjoy all of his films.

#14 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 10:09 PM

He has made some very dissapointing films too: Conan 2, T2,The Last Action hero, The Sixth Day and Eraser. :)

You liked T3 and thought T2 was disappointing? I didn't know that was possible!

#15 007luvchild2

007luvchild2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:14 PM

Ahh! I forgot to add The Running Man to my list. It was really fun seeing Arnold going up against Richard Dawson!! Made me laugh immagining what Arnold would have been like if he were ever on Family Feud!!

Favorite Arnold Movies

1. Commando - Best scene in that film, the beach scene, where he suits up to rescue his daughter, that is classic Arnold. It looks spoofy now. However, it just gets me every time I see those biceps and him carrying all those weapons.

2. Predator - I love this movie, this is on rainy day list of movies along with Big Trouble in Little China and Tango & Cash. And so funny how Arnold says "You one ugly mother@##$%. They don't make action movies like that anymore. Looking forward to Alien v. Predator

3. Total Recall - This movie really thrown me in for a loop, it felt like I've been holding my breath for an hour and half, because it kept me on my toes. I've seen the TV series based on it, and film fairs better.

4. Terminator - Once again a good movie.

5. Conan the Barbarian - Gratituous sex and violence, basically the name says it all. James Earl Jones, usually didn't say much in the film but I had a fear of snakes after that.

Comedies: Kindergarden Cop, Twins, and well this is not his best but gosh it so funny hearing him being dubbed "Hercules in New York"

These are what I call the fab 5, my personal favorite is also the Running Man. Critics view this as one of the most ridiculous movie or Arnold's, but to me I thought it was a good interpretation of a post modern futuristic era considering it was the 80's. TV is on 24hrs day, subliminally and blatantly influencing people to snitch on other people who are against censorship. And come up with sadistic game shows like "Climbing for Dollars". The characters are colorful, yeah they come off cheesy, Sub-Zero, Dynamo (very funny when Arnold screams "Christmas Tree"), Fireball(I know the Jetpack reminded you of the pretitle sequence of Thunderball), Buzzsaw, and Captain Freedom. Richard Dawson (my all time favorite Family Feud host, is funny) I love his facial expression when Arnold went off a tangent, the line "ram it down with my fist and rip out your stomach and break your :) spine." Of course, Bond film alumnus in the film, Yaphet Kotto. Looking at this film, I thought it was better than Collatteral Damage, and The Sixth Day.

Edited by 007luvchild2, 02 February 2004 - 11:16 PM.

#16 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:55 PM

"You liked T3 and thought T2 was disappointing? I didn't know that was possible! "

I didn't care for T2. I thought the liquid metal Terminator was over the top and I liked Arnie as the villian, not a Cyborg teddy bear! :) I was pleasantly surprised by T3 although I think the sequels never should have been made(like The Matrix).

#17 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:56 PM

1. Commando
2. Predator
3. Total Recall
4. Terminator
5. Conan the Barbarian

Comedies: Kindergarden Cop, Twins

Respect to Arnie! He's the best! I agree with the most of your choices there - although maybe I'd put T2 in for Conan?

The bestest though I have to say i htink is True Lies. Most excellent Arnie big flick.

Did anyone else find T3 a bit of an insult to Arnie? I did at first, but have now just accepeted it's the screenwriters playing up the Arnie "humour" even more than usual?! "I'm back" - I did not know if I should have laughed or cried!

#18 007luvchild2

007luvchild2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 12:21 AM

I didn't care for T2. I thought the liquid metal Terminator was over the top and I liked Arnie as the villian, not a Cyborg teddy bear! :) I was pleasantly surprised by T3 although I think the sequels never should have been made(like The Matrix).

I would like to see T4 without Arnold, actually taken place after judgement day happens though I'm probably in the minority there.

#19 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1946 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 12:33 AM

No, I too would would like to see some future wars without any specific 'Arnold' in them.

It would be nice to have a film about the capture of the time displacement labs and the cyberdyne vaults in the future, as was in an early T2 screenplay.

But back to ahrnold zhwazeneega, I really love True Lies, it's not a Bond rip off for the sake of ripping off Bond, it's actually a good spy comedy. Then of course we have the classics like Conan and Predator etc.

#20 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:45 AM

The only Schwarzenegger movies I haven't seen are Junior, The End Of Days, The 6th Day, and Conan The Destroyer. But of the ones I have seen, I love them all, even the massively underrated Last Action Hero.

However, I would hafta say that my ultimate favorites are Total Recall and Predator.

#21 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:59 AM

I haven't actually seen many of Arnold's fillums, but from what I have seen:

Terminator Trilogy- Great action, story and great comedy, specifically when Bad to the Bone and Dat Funky Man kick in during the second and third films. I was actually very entertained and pleased with the way the third film turned out, but T2 is still the best. (As a side note, isn't it supposed to be spelled Judgement Day rather than Judgment Day? You'd think that with all of the work Cameron put into the film, the dozy prat would spell the title right.)

Predator- Brilliant action film, because the action doesn't actually get underway 1/3 into the film. The battle cry part and final fight were excellent. 'Tho I was a little unimpressed when Arnie survived the huge explosion caused by the Predator at the end. And Arnold swearing is the most unintentionally funny thing I've ever heard. Yoo sonovabetch!

End of Days- Hated by some, but I thought it was great. It was interesting to see him in an action-type film, but not really use that many weapons or blow stuff up.

True Lies- The beginning is a total rip off of Goldfinger, but the rest of the film is utterly hilarious in the right spots and loaded with action in others.

#22 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 02:12 AM

(As a side note, isn't it supposed to be spelled Judgement Day rather than Judgment Day? You'd think that with all of the work Cameron put into the film, the dozy prat would spell the title right.)

Actually, "judgment" is now considered the correct spelling of the word. At least that's what my spell checker says.

#23 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 02:14 AM

T2: Judgement Day and Total Recall are my favorites

#24 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 02:49 AM

"I would like to see T4 without Arnold, actually taken place after judgement day happens though I'm probably in the minority there."

Me too. I don't think Arnold is needed since it's already been established that not all Terminators are made in Arnold's likeness. Besides, That man has plenty more important things to do now! :)

#25 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 03:01 AM

All of Arnolds movies are good (except Batman & Robin), but I have a tie for my favorite:

T2-One of the best action movies of all time

True Lies-Just a fun movie.

#26 Matt O'S oo4

Matt O'S oo4

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 03:43 AM

I've only seen bits and pieces of "Raw Deal" Bryce, but from what I've seen it looks cool.

Here are my favorite Governator movies:

-The Terminator

- Total Recall

- T2: Judgement Day

- Eraser

-T3: Rise of the Machines

- True Lies (the closest Arnold will be to playing James Bond!)

- Commando

- Conan the Barbarian (definitely a lot better than Conan the Destroyer)

- Red Heat with James Belushi

and believe it or not, i actuall thought he made a very good Mr. Freeze in Batman and Robin (I'm probably one of the few people around who liked that film :) )

I thnk you nailed it pretty good The Dove.

I would like to add Twins...his first real attlemp at comedy. Not bad for him actually...and Kindergarteh Cop...a cute flick.

Last Action Hero had its moments.

Although I liked Erasure... I felt like it was missing something.

Let us not forget

The Running Man...good mindless fun.

#27 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 06:27 AM

Ah, another Running Man fan. Glad to see Twins is also appreciated, Matt. :)

#28 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 08:37 AM

i love commando that to me is my fav

but i like collateral damage as well, i thought it was very well done, what hurt this movie was the timing, it came out right after 9/11 but to me i understood the movie a lot more because of 9/11 and the impact that it had

#29 Q-Zar

Q-Zar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:48 AM

I like a lot of his "older" films, some of them are just classics !
I remember watching Predator and thinking all the time "what is that strange view ?" and being suprised when we found out it was a creature.
The Running Man is an excellent movie ! I'd like to read the novel (by Stephen King) on which it's based some time.
T2 was also excellent.
Red Heat and yes, Raw Deal (the "Satisfaction" raid is pure fun :)) are guilty pleasures.

Did you know True Lies is a remake of a French film ? I haven't seen it, but I'd like to, to see how much was kept in the storyline and the scenes.

#30 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for the comments 004! :) You're right. How could I forget Twins and Kindergarden Cop? And I also like Predator a lot as well.