32 replies to this topic

#1 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 03:01 AM

I have just aquired a US First Edition of Colonel Sun (can't wait to read it! :) ) but it didn't have a dust jacket. I've searched some sites but I can't find what it looks like. It's US First Edition Harper & Row from May 1968. Anyone know anything about that cover?

Thanks.

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 03:06 AM

I looked and didn't see the exact one you're talking about, but I'm not sure. You may want to check out this link:

http://www.bondian.c.../13205876i.html

Again, I don't think they're the one you're talking about, but it does look liek there is one Harper version there, although I think that one is a paperback. :)

I hope you find the one you want to view. :)

#3 Predator007

Predator007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 03:09 AM

I have 2 copies of the Harper & Row US 1st edition. They have the same cover as the British Cape edition.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 03:10 AM

[quote name='White Tuxedo' date='30 January 2004 - 19:01'] I have just aquired a US First Edition of Colonel Sun (can't wait to read it! :) ) but it didn't have a dust jacket.

Attached Files

#5 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 03:13 AM

Good job, zencat. I knew CBn's James Bond book expert could crack this case. :)

#6 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 03:31 AM

Holy cow you guys are quick. :)

Thanks, Zen. I've always liked that wacky Dali-esqe cover. :)

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 04:51 PM

Good job, zencat. I knew CBn's James Bond book expert could crack this case. :)

That's why I'm here. :)

And thanks, Qwerty, for that link. There's some great CS covers there I've never seen.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 04:55 PM

And thanks, Qwerty, for that link. There's some great CS covers there I've never seen.

You're welcome of course. That's one of my favorite James Bond sites.

But I find it hard to believe you've never seen all those covers before.....after all, you're one of the leading collector's. :)

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 05:00 PM

You're welcome of course. That's one of my favorite James Bond sites.

But I find it hard to believe you've never seen all those covers before.....after all, you're one of the leading collector's. :)

There were two foreign covers near the bottom that I've never seen -- one was Russian, I believe. I

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 05:03 PM

Yes, I know what you mean. That site is one of the few places I can see some of those foreign copies. Very cool indeed!

#11 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 10:52 PM

Bondian was the first ste I visited in looking for the cover. :) I tried artofjamesbond.com but their first edition section only had Fleming.

Edited by White Tuxedo, 31 January 2004 - 10:53 PM.

#12 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 10:09 AM

Bondian was the first ste I visited in looking for the cover. :) I tried artofjamesbond.com but their first edition section only had Fleming.

Well......not strictly true (there is a copy of the UK Colonel Sun and the first Gardner book). :) It was purely an editorial decision as to where to stop. The Bondian website pretty much covers every different variation of cover from almost every country. As I don't have access to large versions of these images I decided not to include many post Fleming books. I have no desire to feature every single different variation of cover or to repeat what you can find elsewhere. There are many superb later covers out there and it is a pity not to use them but you have to have a cut-off point if you want any sort of structure to the site. I also decided to stop only at Fleming inspired comic strips but extended the paperback section to include movie tie-ins (as they sort of link).

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 04:09 PM

Bondian was the first ste I visited in looking for the cover. :)  I tried artofjamesbond.com but their first edition section only had Fleming.

Well......not strictly true (there is a copy of the UK Colonel Sun and the first Gardner book). :) It was purely an editorial decision as to where to stop. The Bondian website pretty much covers every different variation of cover from almost every country. As I don't have access to large versions of these images I decided not to include many post Fleming books. I have no desire to feature every single different variation of cover or to repeat what you can find elsewhere. There are many superb later covers out there and it is a pity not to use them but you have to have a cut-off point if you want any sort of structure to the site. I also decided to stop only at Fleming inspired comic strips but extended the paperback section to include movie tie-ins (as they sort of link).

I love Art of James Bond just as much, Red Grant. They're both really great websites, and in my opinion, two of the leading best in the world of James Bond book art!

#14 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:44 AM

I love Art of James Bond just as much, Red Grant. They're both really great websites, and in my opinion, two of the leading best in the world of James Bond book art!

Flattery will get you nowhere...but don't stop trying :)

Edited by Red Grant, 02 February 2004 - 11:45 AM.

#15 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 11:18 PM

Bondian was the first ste I visited in looking for the cover. :)  I tried artofjamesbond.com but their first edition section only had Fleming.

Still an awesome site. :)

The titles and Ken Adam sections are wonderful too. It's too bad Adam is the sorta ignored by many of my fellow younger fans. :) :)

#16 bonded56

bonded56

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 410 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 03:34 AM

Since we're talking about covers, even though this is not an Amis cover, but actully a Fleming scan. Although individually, they are not my favorite art covers, when paired up I get a kick out of them. The left is a Canadian FYEO from 1981 and the right is a Turkish from 1984.

#17 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 06:50 AM

:) I've seen it before.

Looks kinda like William Shatner. :)

BTW he'd be fun to see as M or Blofeld.

EDIT: Jokingly, of course. :)

Edited by White Tuxedo, 05 February 2004 - 06:52 AM.

#18 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 03:35 AM

I have to say that the US hardcover dustjacket for CS is quite possibly the 'best' Bond cover ever (that I have seen). If a cover's job is to represent what goes on in the book to the fullest extent possible, then this cover does it all. The tiny beach with volcanoes is, er, Vrakonisi (sp?) and the Chinese dragon in the smoke is...the Chinese.
The objects lying about are all involved in Bond's torture, but the centrepiece is quite clever: the NoseEarWoman represents the senses to be tortured: the ear probing, the (talk of) nasal probing, and the added pain of sexual desire (the sixth sense?).

Anyway, it's an great cover.

#19 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:36 AM

Just saw this copy for sale on eBay. I like the little joke on it:

Posted Image

#20 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:37 AM

:)

So nice of him to introduce a book.....by himself. :)

#21 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:45 AM

I like the cover from British Coronet paperback 3rd edition the best. I like the knife.

#22 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:47 AM

I like the cover from British Coronet paperback 3rd edition the best. I like the knife.

That one, along with the British hardcover are my two favorites.

#23 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:52 AM

You mean the British Cape hardcover with the woman, um, with a big ear for a face?

It's weird, but it's a good cover. Very artistic.

#24 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:53 AM

Yes, it's very different. Quite cool.

Here is a link I posted earlier: http://www.bondian.c.../13205876i.html

#25 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 06:07 PM

[quote name='zencat' date='31 January 2004 - 03:10'][quote name='White Tuxedo' date='30 January 2004 - 19:01'] I have just aquired a US First Edition of Colonel Sun (can't wait to read it! :) ) but it didn't have a dust jacket.

#26 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 06:09 PM

What the hell is that cover suppose to say about Bond.  Looks more like an advert for a local freak show.  Women with an ear for her head :) .

View Post

Pretty weird, isn't it?

My feeling is they wanted to continue the tradition of having an "artistic" flare to each novel cover, but they wanted to clearly separate the new novels from Chopping paintings of Fleming so they went with this Salvador Dali-like image. Kind of a cool idea and approach, but maybe a little too freaky for most. But, remember, it was 1968 and "freaky" was in vogue.

#27 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 07:11 PM

I really like the Coronet cover for this book. Never seen it for sale in any bookstores around here though, unlike the case for some of the Fleming Coronets.

#28 k13oharts

k13oharts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 434 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:33 PM

I really like the Coronet cover for this book. Never seen it for sale in any bookstores around here though, unlike the case for some of the Fleming Coronets.

View Post

Qwerty, Coronet has printed two or three editions of Colonel Sun.
Someone correct me if it was three.
As far as I know it's two cos I have both.

The second impression, the cover is Col. Sun with a red sky background.
This is the Pan cover from Bondian.com (now, imagine him on a red background)
I'll try to get a scan in once I can.
And the third edition is the David Scutt knife artwork.

#29 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:56 PM

I don't quite understand the point of the Robert Markham pseudonym if they reveal right off the bat that the book was written by Kingsley Amis. I thought that the whole point of pseudonym was so that the privacy of the real author was protected.

#30 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 01:33 AM

View Post

Qwerty, Coronet has printed two or three editions of Colonel Sun.
Someone correct me if it was three.
As far as I know it's two cos I have both.

The second impression, the cover is Col. Sun with a red sky background.
This is the Pan cover from Bondian.com (now, imagine him on a red background)
I'll try to get a scan in once I can.
And the third edition is the David Scutt knife artwork.

View Post

Yeah, I usually refer to the David Scutt artwork when talking about the Coronets. :)