20 replies to this topic

#1 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 02:44 PM

I'd really enjoyed Colonel Sun. First I bought the comic version and got excited and found Colonel Sun on a market. It was really good. With M being kidnapped and all. Really goody. What did you all others thought of it?

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 05:30 PM

Comic version? There's a comic version of Colonel Sun? This I'd like to hear more about. Can you please give me more details, Bond_Bishop? :)

#3 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 05:32 PM

Comic version? There's a comic version of Colonel Sun?

Exactly what I was going to type. Must be a pretty rare item nowadays.

As for the novel, I think it's superb, and rivalled only by "You Only Live Twice" as the best Bond book ever.

#4 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 05:47 PM

This is news to me too!
Can we have more info please?

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 06:16 PM

Wow! I did not know of this version. I did enjoy the book, not to the extent of rivaling many of Fleming's, but it is indeed a great continuation novel.

Any info would be welcomed by me! :)

#6 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 06:51 PM

I have searched all over the internet for a decent copy, at a good price. Yet to find one.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 06:53 PM

Keep a look out for the American Bantam edition Johnboy, they pop up quite often and reasonably low prices. :) EBay has them sometimes, but they are indeed, one of the harder to find James Bond novels.

#8 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:47 PM

It was published in comic strips in the Daily Express between 12/01/1969 and 08/20/1970.
James Lawrence wrote the script and Horak did the drawings.
It was published in norwich countries in the eighties in full comic books.
I found it on Ebay.
You can buy them here quite often.
It is great!

#9 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:54 PM

Wow that is news and something I'd like to add to my collection.

I wonder if they will be reprinting them along with the other comic strips in that new series?

#10 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 02:34 PM

If you are looking for a copy of Colonel Sun -goto: http://www.abebooks.com
That's where I bought Colonel Sun - plus they have copies of Amis' The James Bond Dossier from time to time.

Edited by scaramanga1, 09 February 2004 - 02:35 PM.

#11 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 10:49 PM

I just ordered mine from ABE. :)

#12 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 06:06 PM

I just ordered mine from ABE. :)

Excellent! Please make sure you read it! It's by far the best post -Fleming novel IMO. :)

I've even got an uncorrected proof of this novel, and it is one of my most prized collectables, as I love books so much. :)

#13 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 06:46 PM

Colonel Sun is a great Bond adventure.

I would hope Eon would do this as a proper Bond film.

M's kidnapping, the fight at Quarter Deck, Bond and Ariadne's escape under the moon through the Acropolis, Litkas' mastery of the British #4 rifle, the torture, Colonel Sun himself.

Fantastic yet real gritty story telling. Worthy of Fleming himself. I like this book. If you can find one, grab it!

#14 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 06:53 PM

I would hope Eon would do this as a proper Bond film.

Same here, but they'd have to change the title and the villain's name. Everyone would mispronounce "Sun" as identical to the English word, as in "the sun has got his hat on". Very difficult for English speakers to pronounce the Chinese surname in the proper way.

#15 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 11 February 2004 - 02:59 AM

Same here, but they'd have to change the title and the villain's name. Everyone would mispronounce "Sun" as identical to the English word, as in "the sun has got his hat on". Very difficult for English speakers to pronounce the Chinese surname in the proper way.

Whatever the nationality it's still better than Sun-Tan Moon in Die Another Day. Err, that should be Tan-Sun Moon. :)

#16 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 03:07 AM

I'd love to see a film version of Colonel Sun. If done right, it could very well be the best.

#17 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 03:41 AM

So how is 'Sun' pronounced? Or would skewers have to be stuck in my ears for me to pronounce it properly?

#18 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 04:34 AM

Ah yes Loomis, we've agreed on this before somewhere.

Once upon a time, I actually considered making it as a student film. Somewhere I've still got my complete outline and some locations notes.

Of course, I didn't want to get my butt sued into oblivion.

One of the many scenes I love is Adriadne slapping Bond around and appearing to be cursing him before they turn the tables on the Greek thugs.

Then, still hitting him, she switched to English. She used just sthe same abusive tone as before, so that she seemed to be cursing him in his own language. But what she said was:

"Listen to me. These men...are enemies." Slap! "We must get away. I'll take the fat one. You take"-slap-"the other. Then...follow me."

She stopped, moved laughing towards the plump man, cracked her knee into his crotch and drove her stiffened fingers at his eyes. He squealed thinly. Without conscious thought Bond went for the other man, who involuntairily half-turned, and chopped him cruelly at the side of the neck. The plump man was doubled up with his hands over his face. Bond brought his joined fists down hard on the base of the squat skull, grabbed Ariadne and ran.
- Colonel Sun - Chapter 7 "Not-So-Safe-House"

Bloody great stuff.

Cheers Loomis. :)

#19 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 09:35 AM

So how is 'Sun' pronounced?

Hmmm.... sorry, I'd find it very tough to explain here. Your best bet is to ask a Mandarin speaker to pronounce it for you. :)

#20 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 17 February 2004 - 11:47 AM

So how is 'Sun' pronounced?

Hmmm.... sorry, I'd find it very tough to explain here. Your best bet is to ask a Mandarin speaker to pronounce it for you. :)

Curiouser and curioser.

I asked my wife, but her heritage is Khe not Mandarin.

Damn!

#21 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 12:44 PM

The vowel sound doesn't exist in English - well, that said, I think it probably does.... in various regional accents in Britain (think of someone from, say, Yorkshire talking about the great big yellow thing in the sky, and you're perhaps close - but since Chinese is a tonal language, you've got to pay attention to the pitch of your voice, too).

I'm sure someone with a knowledge of linguistics would be able to properly describe the "u" sound in the Mandarin pronunciation of "Sun", but I myself am "lost at sea.... adrift." :)