17 replies to this topic

#1 Sanchez

Sanchez

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 12:24 PM

[FONT=Arial]

I was wondering if James Bond has a middle name, and if so, what is it?

#2 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:45 PM

I'm sure it's been mentioned a couple times in the books. Your best bet is to find a reference book. It may be mentioned in that 007 Biography that came out in the 60s. But I don't know if you'd find a copy of it these days.

#3 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:11 PM

Well, to the best of my knowqledge, Bond has no middle name.

At the end of the novel TMWTGG, when 007 is offered Knighthood, he declines and reflects upon his decision.

"The rest, he knew, was not in the stars. He had never been a public figure, and he did not wish to become one. He had no prejudice against letters after one's name, or before it. But there was one thing he treasured. His privacy. His anonymity. To become a public person, a person, in the snobbish world of England, of any country, who would be called upon to open things, lay foundation stones, make after-dinner speeches, brought the sweat to his armpits. "James Bond!" No middle name. No hyphen. A quiet, dull, anonymous name."

From Chapter 17 - "Endit" - The Man with the Golden Gun

I don't recall the Pearson book making a mention of a middle name, but it might be worth a look.

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:15 PM

Yes, I don't recall ever hearing it.

I hope he never gets a middle name, it just wouldn't work. James Bond has, is and always will be enough for me.

#5 The JB Shop

The JB Shop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:33 PM

And its not mentioned im M

#6 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:37 PM

I hope he never gets a middle name, it just wouldn't work. James Bond has, is and always will be enough for me.

Bloody well said Qwerty;)

Cheers!

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:39 PM

Bloody well said Qwerty;)

Cheers!

LOL! Thanks Bryce! :)

Well, it just wouldn't. I'd have to have to say something more than just 'James Bond.'

#8 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 08:06 PM

Well, it's not like middle names are normally said with names anyways. So even if he did have a middle name it wouldn't change his being James Bond. You know? If his name was James Corbin Bond he wouldn't walk around saying... my name is Bond, James Corbin Bond. No he's sill say, my name is Bond, James Bond. Middle names usually connect some separate identity to a person. My middle name is the name my mom wanted as my first name, some people's middle names are the city in which they were born, others their mothers maiden name and others a popular family name (one had by a grandparent or such). If Bond had a middle name I'd be fine with it... it's not like it would show up any other place but government documents.

#9 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1946 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 08:18 PM

Actually, I think Bond 21 should go for broke with all the other rubbish they have crammed into the series now and announce his middle name as Bartholomue. Think of the scene: James Bond, gritty and vunerable in the arms of a woman who is probing into his life once again "oh tell me James...do you have a middle name?" taking every ounce of his 'cool air' he announces it to the obvious upset of the woman "that's terrible James, no wonder you're so 'hard' and 'tuff' all the time; and I thought it was because you had killed people..."

I think it would be a good extra scene to lauch at.

#10 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 08:22 PM

The story goes that Ian Fleming named his character for the American ornithologist who wrote the field guide -- Birds of the West Indies. Can we presume if the real James Bond had a middle name that this is the middle name of Fleming's fictional creation?

#11 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 08:26 PM

The story goes that Ian Fleming named his character for the American ornithologist who wrote the field guide -- Birds of the West Indies. Can we presume if the real James Bond had a middle name that this is the middle name of Fleming's fictional creation?

NOW somebody is thinking! Hum... now question is... how to find THAT? out :)

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 09:15 PM

Now that would be a bit of reasearch! :)

Yes, Athena, I perfectly know what you mean about the middle names, I just think it's unneceassary for Bond. :)

#13 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 09:33 PM

I think if he had a middle name, it would have been mentioned in his obituary from You Only Live Twice.

Edited by jwheels57, 02 January 2004 - 09:33 PM.

#14 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 10:15 PM

This reminds me of a joke:

James Bond was on a flight to the Middle East when the passenger beside him asked his name. As usual, he introduced himself as " Bond, James Bond".

The passenger thought that this might be the way how people from west introduce themselves. So he started....

Kabir...Uddin Kabir...Shams Uddin Kabir...Kaji Shams Uddin Kabir...Mohammad Kaji Shams Uddin Kabir...Golam Mohammad Kaji Shams Uddin Kabir...Jafar Golam Mohammad Kaji Shams Uddin Kabir...Abu Jafar Golam Mohammad Kaji Shams Uddin Kabir...Jahan Abu Jafar Golam Mohammad Kaji Shams Uddin Kabir...PIR-e-Jahan Abu Jafar Golam Mohammad Kaji Shams Uddin Kabir...Hojrot PIR-e-Jahan Abu Jafar Golam Mohammad Kaji Shams Uddin Kabir!!

Bond faints.

Anyway, all joking aside, Bond doesn't have a middle name. In the novel From Russia With Love, the SMERSH file on James Bond doesn't list his middle name. It just says:

Name: Bond, James.

Usually on documents like that, your last name is listed, then your first and middle name. It doesn't have that on his file, nor on any of his ID that has been presented in the films. So there you go.

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 10:31 PM

This reminds me of a joke:

James Bond was on a flight to the Middle East when the passenger beside him asked his name. As usual, he introduced himself as " Bond, James Bond".

The passenger thought that this might be the way how people from west introduce themselves. So he started....

Kabir...Uddin Kabir...Shams Uddin Kabir...Kaji Shams Uddin Kabir...Mohammad Kaji Shams Uddin Kabir...Golam Mohammad Kaji Shams Uddin Kabir...Jafar Golam Mohammad Kaji Shams Uddin Kabir...Abu Jafar Golam Mohammad Kaji Shams Uddin Kabir...Jahan Abu Jafar Golam Mohammad Kaji Shams Uddin Kabir...PIR-e-Jahan Abu Jafar Golam Mohammad Kaji Shams Uddin Kabir...Hojrot PIR-e-Jahan Abu Jafar Golam Mohammad Kaji Shams Uddin Kabir!!

Bond faints.

Anyway, all joking aside, Bond doesn't have a middle name. In the novel From Russia With Love, the SMERSH file on James Bond doesn't list his middle name. It just says:

Usually on documents like that, your last name is listed, then your first and middle name. It doesn't have that on his file, nor on any of his ID that has been presented in the films. So there you go.

LOL! Nice littl joke on the name introduction there. :)

Regarding FRWL, you're right! I had forgotten that document and it's even printed on the back cover of the Penguin reprint. Nice catch there Double-Oh-Zero! :)

#16 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 11:25 PM

That's not quite true, for me at least. I have a middle name, but i have never found any documents other than my birth certificate, that list it. On school student rolls, i am always listed as Lambert, John.

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 11:44 PM

That's not quite true, for me at least. I have a middle name, but i have never found any documents other than my birth certificate, that list it. On school student rolls, i am always listed as Lambert, John.

That's very true Johnboy! I know my middle initial is listed as in school: Zydel, Devin A. However, I know several friends that don't have their middle inital listed, even though they have a middle name.

#18 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 03:32 AM

JAMES BOND.....just this....it's perfect...it's classic...it's timeless!