8 replies to this topic

#1 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 04:42 PM

Hopefully, for Bond 20, they'll make the action scenes blend into the drama a bit more.

GoldeneEye was the last film to blend the action in really well, and have the scenes long and spread out, such as the tank chase.

TWINE seemed to have a drama scene, cut, and then start a new action scene in a completely different location, and not actually last that long (with the exception of the pre-title teaser sequence).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let Bond20 blend the scenes more.

Best drama/action blending was the snow scenes in FYEO (meeting Kristatos, chase with Kruegar, and motorbike chase). Great scenes blended together beautifully.

What d'ya think?

#2 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 11:06 PM

I think the action in most of the current movies has been over done and lasts longer than it needs to, even Goldeneye I must say. I thought that both the ski chase and the scene with the helicopters was just boring, not particularly original. And it seems that each movie is trying to outdo the other with action and stunts a lot of which just meander on too long. (Too reminicent of the boat and plane chases in LALD) Me thinks that they're starting to become a little too much like anyother action film series out there. They have interesting stories and characters but I would like to see more drama and characterization.

#3 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 09 January 2002 - 01:20 PM

That was the most rediculous gadget in the world when Q demonstrated it... "how's he gonna use that" then as soon as you saw the snow I heard a feint rumbling behind me... it was everyone in the audience going "ah... bet he's going to use that funny blow up coat thing". Must try better P&W!

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 09 January 2002 - 01:29 PM

Evil Doctor Cheese (09 Jan, 2002 01:20 p.m.):
That was the most rediculous gadget in the world when Q demonstrated it...

You referring to the new Q or the old R? :)

#5 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 09 January 2002 - 01:34 PM

Blofeld's Cat (09 Jan, 2002 01:30 p.m.):

Evil Doctor Cheese (09 Jan, 2002 01:20 p.m.):
That was the most rediculous gadget in the world when Q demonstrated it...

You referring to the new Q or the old R? :)

The new Q is the old R :) I thought I'd get away with being vague like that... in TWINE Desmond L was Q and John Cleese was Q's assistant but everyone calls him R... which is wrong! So I was being deliberatly vague so not to inflame the old "there was never a character called 'R' " debate that happens too many times in the forums!

#6 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 10:23 PM

I agree. The paraski scene in TWINE in particular seemed shoe-horned in for no better reason than that it was time for some action. I hope Lee Tamahori is a strong enough director to insist that the action serves the story, not the other way around.

#7 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 09 January 2002 - 11:48 AM

mkkbb (09 Jan, 2002 10:45 a.m.):
We all like a good ski scene, but it didn't really develop enough in TWINE. ... It was too obvious that his blow up coat was going to be used.

And wasn't it damn lucky he'd brought it with him!

#8 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 09 January 2002 - 10:45 AM

I totally agree with both of you. Although they should be trying to outdo previous action scenes I don't think they need to make them bigger and more explosive, just more fun and interesting, and fresh.

We all like a good ski scene, but it didn't really develop enough in TWINE. We could have had him sheltering in a cabin with a family, then skiing down and creeping up on a grounded paratrooper, knocking him out and using the vehicle to rescue Elektra. It was too obvious that his blow up coat was going to be used.

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 09 January 2002 - 01:15 PM

White Persian (09 Jan, 2002 11:48 a.m.):

mkkbb (09 Jan, 2002 10:45 a.m.):
We all like a good ski scene, but it didn't really develop enough in TWINE. ... It was too obvious that his blow up coat was going to be used.

And wasn't it damn lucky he'd brought it with him!

Standard winter clobber for the best dressed spy, didn't you know? :)