This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Bond 20 Pre-Title Sequence will be shot on Hawaii!

16 replies to this topic

#1 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 26 December 2001 - 11:57 AM

From "Starbulletin":

In the 20th James Bond film, Maui will get a starring role in the opening sequence in January.

A local camera crew and several surfers will be setting up shop at Jaws, Maui's ferocious big-wave surf spot off the island's northeast coast, for shooting the opening sequence of the as-yet-untitled MGM movie.

The secret project reportedly will feature five noted tow-in surfers. Jaws regular Laird Hamilton, who lives in Los Angeles, currently is in negotiations.

The Jaws opening is related to the film's story line.

A six-member camera crew headed by noted Hawaii water photographer Don King, who is "director of photography, surf unit," and surf videographer Sonny Miller, have been hired to film the giant waves using jet skis and speed boats.

The crew is scheduled to film surfing sequences for three days between Jan. 2 and 7, with the five-day window planned to ensure favorable wave conditions and footage, sources said.

King, Miller and several other camera crew members currently are working on the film "Surf Girls," being shot on Oahu. That production takes a holiday break through early January, allowing the water photogs a chance to shoot the Bond sequence. Glen Beadles of Maui is coordinating the Maui water work.

The latest installment of the longest-running and most successful franchise in cinema history will be produced by Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli and will be released in November.

Pierce Brosnan will make his fourth appearance as James Bond; the film will be directed by New Zealander Lee Tamahori, who directed "Once Were Warriors, "Along Came a Spider" and "The Edge." Halle Berry is in negotiations to co-star as a villainess. Dame Judi Dench and John Cleese will reprise their roles as M and Q, respectively.

Rick Yune, who starred in the blockbuster feature "The Fast and the Furious" and "Snow Falling on Cedars," will star as the lead male villain.

Although the script is being kept under wraps, Yune reportedly will portray a North Korean general named Zao, who is being tracked by Bond. Yune will don facial prosthetics for the part as his character comes across the mutating device and begins to undergo facial transformation. But the experiment goes awry, leaving him half-changed.

First-unit production begins next month at Pinewood Studios, England.

Wow! Great news! I wasn't told that sequence by my source, only the scene after the opening credits. But for me it could be true...

Regards,

#2 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 26 December 2001 - 02:18 PM

Is this news confurmd ?

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 December 2001 - 05:41 PM

Dave (26 Dec, 2001 05:18 p.m.):
If we did see Bond on a surf board...would it be one from Q-Branch? What sort of gadgets could we see here? Motorised surf-board (not sure how that could work - it just sounds cool)...

Not sure we can assume Bond will be on a surf board in this sequence. Sounds like it could be jet-skis and...hovercrafts?

#4 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 26 December 2001 - 05:18 PM

It would be great if she did! At the moment, we don't know if Bond will actually be involved in the sequence...it may feature every character except Bond for all we know.

If we did see Bond on a surf board...would it be one from Q-Branch? What sort of gadgets could we see here? Motorised surf-board (not sure how that could work - it just sounds cool)...

#5 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 28 December 2001 - 07:35 AM

All this talk about Hawaii makes me think of Jack Lord (Leiter in DR NO)...who also played "Steve McGarrett" in that classic cop show..."HAWAII 5-O"...I can here that wonderful theme in my head right now :).

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 27 December 2001 - 11:02 PM

So that's a yes then?

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 December 2001 - 04:52 PM

zencat (26 Dec, 2001 05:14 p.m.):
I have a friend in Hawaii who makes surf films... I've just blasted off an email to her to see if she knows anything about this.

From my friend in Hawaii...

"Well James Bond fan. I didn't know about this shoot but I spoke to Don King's wife and they already may be shooting it now as the waves were HUGE today. Waves over twenty feet are extremely hard to predict. Don and Sonny are some the best surf photogs in the world so the footage should be insane. Laird is also the best tow-in surfer in the world so I look forward to seeing the opening sequence."

#8 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 27 December 2001 - 02:34 PM

The opening scenes of Goldfinger, I mean after Shirley sings, are in Miami and there isn

#9 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 27 December 2001 - 08:35 AM

Blofeld's Cat (27 Dec, 2001 07:18 a.m.):

And, what does "opening sequence" means. Is that a reference to the pre-credit sequence or the first scenes after the credits?

I think the pre-credit sequence is meant. Because the scenes after the credits we'll have Q's funeral... :)

Regards,

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 27 December 2001 - 02:56 AM

I'm not sure that we'll see a hovercraft in this sequence. The reports out of the UK indicated that it would be used on a river. But we don't know how accurate that is.

#11 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 27 December 2001 - 07:18 AM

Tim007 (26 Dec, 2001 11:57 a.m.):
A local camera crew and several surfers will be setting up shop.......for shooting the opening sequence.......

.......A six-member camera crew headed by noted Hawaii water photographer Don King.......have been hired to film the giant waves using jet skis and speed boats.......

The crew is scheduled to film surfing sequences for three days.......

I can't help but think that these are only for establishing shots to be used in the "opening sequence". A three day shoot won't last long on up on the screen, so I can't see them figuring much in any action.

And, what does "opening sequence" means. Is that a reference to the pre-credit sequence or the first scenes after the credits?

#12 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 27 December 2001 - 06:50 AM

zencat (26 Dec, 2001 05:41 p.m.):

Dave (26 Dec, 2001 05:18 p.m.):

Not sure we can assume Bond will be on a surf board in this sequence. Sounds like it could be jet-skis and...hovercrafts?

A hovercraft in those giant waves at "Jaws" ? probably not, but...wowie...that would be something to see !. Presumably if it's a small one, it could ride the giant waves like a surf board ?. I think that would blow the audience away !.

#13 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 26 December 2001 - 01:19 PM

yeah that s could be a great news !!

Bond 20 is getting more and more exciting everyday as you said, and i think that the "exotic locations", like bahamas are returing for our own pleasure. It has been a long time we didn t see a bond travel in exotic location as we can see in Thunderball or TSWLM.

#14 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 26 December 2001 - 12:53 PM

If true, finally we may get a spectacular surfing sequence in a Bond movie (one was planned in the original script for TSWLM). 007 on a surf board ? presumably in the middle of an action scene ?...wow...would love to see that !. With the giant waves at this "Jaws" location it could turn out to be the most bone crunching teaser sequence ever !. Bond 20 gets more promising each & every day !.

#15 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 26 December 2001 - 12:46 PM

That's great news! I'll get a story up asap.

Thanks Tim.

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 December 2001 - 05:14 PM

I have a friend in Hawaii who makes surf films... I've just blasted off an email to her to see if she knows anything about this.

#17 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 26 December 2001 - 05:58 PM

I totally forgot about that! Well then - a Q-Branch jet ski. We have seen a kind of Q-jet ski in TSWLM.