12 replies to this topic

#1 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 06:28 AM

Has anyone notice that Steven borrows from FYEO ... or.... FYEO borrows from Raiders of the Lost Ark??

Ok.. I know Steven wanted to make a 007 kinda movie.. he was turned down to direct a real 007 film.. so he made up Indiana Jones. BUT who has notice that they BOTH have the same scenes in each movie.. BUT the funny thing is they were both being made at the sametime????

In FYEO: Bond & Melina are in a greek Vending Cart Area where local people sell fruits,foods & clothes.. (BOND gets a piece of fruit and they break it and share it)

IN Raiders of the Lost Ark: Indy & Karen are in a Vending Cart Area and gets a piece of fruit and they share it too????????

I think BOTH movies were being made at the sametime?? Was there a "spy" on one of the sets and told the other?? Did they share stuntmen and they where talking & Steven or Cubby/John over heard them and took the exact scene???

:)

Then...

In Octopussy(1983): they had Bond at a dinner table and was served some gross food! Stuffed Sheeps head..

In Temple of Doom (1984) Indy was at a dinner table and was served gross food?? Snakes, Eyeball soup??

In Octopussy: Bond was on the taxi and went into a dead end street.. and drove through a sign & another came down.. the villians came in the dead end street & couldn't find Bond.. he disappeared..

In Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) Indy did the samething in a Army Truck.. and the nazi could find him because he was hidden on a dead end street..

**** What was going on back then.. they both stole scenes from each other..

what was the deal????

I bet WE could find more scenes in 007 Films & the Indy Series that were the same..

#2 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 01:01 PM

Wow. I knew there were similiarities but i didn't know they were that extensive.
TREASURE!!!

#3 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 01:05 PM

Yes Steven did want to make an Indiana Jones movies but in 1977 George Lucas said "I have something better" and then explained to him the premise behind Indiana Jones (as Spielberg himself relates on the DVD documentary for "Raiders").

#4 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 01:18 PM

the desire for spielberg to do 007 is well documented...as is the fact that cubby thought him to be too young (at a time when eon wanted to make sure of an ABSOLUTE WINNER after the saltzman split/post TMWTGG period)

so spielberg was influenced by bond

similiarly bond has been influenced by hitchcock (NBNW > FRWL helicopter chase), star wars (moonraker), indy (octopussy > jungle stuff), die hard and lethal weapon (LTK)

in the end, there's so little that is original in movies these days...people beg borrow and steal / "pay homage" to/from each other...

nothing new there....

#5 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, does anyone believe that all those "homages" in Die Another Day were not just a smoke screen to hide the fact that Purvis and Wade have no imagination. Sure some of them were intentional, but not all of them.

#6 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 02:16 PM

lets face it, very FEW action adventure movies have originality. most of it has been done before. if not, then it looks fake (charlies angels 2 for example is not only cheezy...it takes the entire cake)

bond, however, does do things with a twist and DAD had a lot of variation-to-a-theme stuff going on:

zao's face is pretty original

the zao-bond clinic fight was very tight and interesting

the aston-jag ice lake sequence has a genuine uniqueness to it

i dont think there has been an ice palace before (well...superman's fortress of solitude may or may not count)

can u name another movie where theres a fight taking place on a disintegrating airplane?

#7 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 02:57 PM

When FYEO and Raiders were being produced, the decision to make a more earth-bound Bond that raised the action and stunts and reduced the gadgetry was already in place. And I'm sure at the time nobody had any idea the impact Raiders would have. Bond was still the undisputed champ of the action film at the time. So spies in each camp were pretty unlikely.

And Bond films have been borrowing from themselves for years. They are always doing little variations on things that have gone before, for better or worse. As for Charlie's Angels, well, the reaction to that spoke for itself.
I've heard someplace that making OP very action-influenced was a reaction to Raiders. And somebody said, although I think it's a stretch, that AVTAK's mine was a reaction to Temple of Doom.

#8 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 03:03 PM

in reply to the stuntman question... Vic Armstrong worked on all three Indiana Jones films and a number of James Bond films as well........

#9 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:52 AM

Originally posted by IndyB007
in reply to the stuntman question... Vic Armstrong worked on all three Indiana Jones films and a number of James Bond films as well........

hmmmm that might be the link.. maybe 007 & or Steven oever heard something going on when they were on their Coffee Breaks :)

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 07:05 PM

People love to note that Moonraker was a reaction to Star Wars, but rarely do we hear that Octopussy was a reaction to Raider of the Lost Ark. But it was. (I'm not making a judgment here, I love both Bond films and I like it when the Bonds mix genres.)

#11 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 07:42 PM

It's possible that the Indiana Jones films borrowed from the James Bond films. But don't action/adventure often borrow from one another? Wasn't the bug scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and the snake scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark inspired by the rats scene in From Russia with Love.

I also wonder if the critical and financial success of Richard Attenborough's Gandhi (1982) had anything to do with the decision to set part of the story of Octopussy in India. And then later to set Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in India.

It is true that certain countries come into vogue, this was certainly the case for India in the early 1980s.

#12 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 08:57 AM

Originally posted by Triton
It's possible that the Indiana Jones films borrowed from the James Bond films.  But don't action/adventure often borrow from one another? Wasn't the bug scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and the snake scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark inspired by the rats scene in From Russia with Love.

Or you can say the Rat scene was in Indy 3!

I think Bond took from Raiders & Star Wars.. but after that it seemd Steven took scenes for Indy 2 & 3!

Steven always seems to take from movies! Another film which is smaller and he thought no one would say or notice is.

Friday The 13th!

He took actors from F13th Part 4 (1984)

Corey Feldman : The Gremlins (1984), The Goonies(1985)
Crispn Glover : Back to the Future (1985)

Steven took Jason and made him into a more understood loveable character in The Goonies (1985)

F13th Part 5 (1985)

Richard Young : Indy 3 .. when young indy is watching the guys steal the cross.. He is the one that looks like Harrison & gives him the hat.

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 01:38 PM

Originally posted by zencat
People love to note that Moonraker was a reaction to Star Wars, but rarely do we hear that Octopussy was a reaction to Raider of the Lost Ark. But it was. (I'm not making a judgment here, I love both Bond films and I like it when the Bonds mix genres.)

I think Octopussy was heavily influenced by "Raiders of the Lost Ark" as were most action adventure movies in 1983.