This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you think will play 'the man of steel' Superman?.

27 replies to this topic

#1 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 06:50 AM

Ok, he ain't James Bond but he does look good in his tights and blue and red costume.

Who would you like to see step into the part?.

So far we've had Nik Cage and Brendon Fraser as two possibilities, but do you have an ideal Actor in mind who could play the part?.

As I understand it the excellent Christopher Reeve may play a 'cameo' part in the new film.

"Is it a bird, is it a plane, no it's SUPERMAN!!!.

Bondian

#2 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 08:20 AM

I'm just shivering at the idea that they possibly want Vin "Why Do I Need to Actually ACT?" Diesel to play Lex Luthor...

Of all the choices I've heard, Fraser would definately be my pick. The rest are either too young (like that Henry Cavill from THE COUNTE OF MONTE CRISTO) or just someone I absolutely despise (Paul Walker, who is simply the worst actor I've ever seen).

Not to mention, they lost Anthony Hopkins as Jor-el, I believe. Probably since Bret Ratner left the project.

#3 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 10:02 AM

have thought about this i cant think of one name who could play superman, fraser perhaps but really no one comes to mind, i guess reeves was perfect for the role back in the day

#4 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 10:58 AM

The kid who plays him on Smallville is perfect-I think they should just take him to the big screen when the show runs it's course but I heard he doesn't do tights. oh well. :)

#5 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Bondian

So far we've had Nik Cage and Brendon Fraser as two possibilities, but do you have an ideal Actor in mind who could play the part?.

Fraser would be great. I can't think of anyone else who could do the part better. Cage is surely far too old?

For Lex Luthor, one name springs to mind immediately: James Gandolfini.

Jor-El? Mel Gibson might be good, or Michael Douglas.

And Liv Tyler or maybe Cate Blanchett for Lois Lane.

But actually, I hope they don't do SUPERMAN at all. Richard Donner's 1978 film is, IMO, a masterpiece that ought to be left alone.

Which director is currently attached to the project? I understand that Brett Ratner and McG have both passed on it.

#6 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 02:08 PM

Ann Widdecombe

#7 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 02:41 PM

When I heard about Anthony Hopkins playing Jor-el (back last year, when Ratner was attached), I thought, heck, have him play LUTHOR! He'd be a great Luthor, IMO.

#8 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 10:51 PM

Originally posted by Tarl_Cabot
The kid who plays him on Smallville is perfect-I think they should just take him to the big screen when the show runs it's course but I heard he doesn't do tights. oh well. :)

i whole heartedly agree

#9 DieAnotherDay57

DieAnotherDay57

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 10:59 PM

I read in the star wars insider that Hayden Christensen(Anakin Skywalker in AOTC) is rumored to be superman. I personrlly feel that he would make a good choice because he can act and is great in action scenes.

#10 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 12:43 AM

I personrlly feel that he would make a good choice because he can act and is great in action scenes."

What movie did you see that made you come to this conclusion? :)

#11 Jmart007

Jmart007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 04:05 AM

I think just like Christopher Reeve was at the time, the new Superman should be an unknown.

#12 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 04:11 AM

Originally posted by Jmart007
I think just like Christopher Reeve was at the time, the new Superman should be an unknown.

Hi Jmart007,

I couldn't agree with you more. Christopher Reeve is a hard act to follow.

Cheers,

Ian

#13 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 04:13 AM

Originally posted by CommanderBond

i whole heartedly agree

Me too.

Ian

#14 007luvchild2

007luvchild2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 04:32 AM

Personally, they should just leave Superman to the animation series and Comic Books, because as mentioned before by somebody Christopher Reeve was the man. Gene Hackman was Lex Luthor. Younger Version - Vosooloo from the Mummy, Older - Terrence Stamp (why not, after all he was General Zod Superman II, or he could even be Jorel) But if they're going with it, Brendan Fraser, surely he could act like the sweet hearted good guy Clark Kent, and be Superman. I would say Dylan McDermott from the Practice could do it. Cap Viezel from the Count of Monte Cristo, most definitely. Lois Lane, if they're going with the same characterization they used in the early films, fast talking, ambitious reporter: Sandra Bullock would do great, but she probably wouldn't do it. Probably Jessica Alba (from Dark Angel) , or Charlize Theron. Fred Savage - Jimmy.

#15 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 04:36 AM

Thanks for your post 007Luvchild2. Agreed, but the silly child in me wants to see an up-to-date special effect laden 'Superman'. Ok, it wouldn't be anything like the original films but who knows how it would turn out.

Cheers,

Ian

#16 007luvchild2

007luvchild2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 04:48 AM

No probs
Hey the child in me wants to see Wonder Woman the movie, but because back then I thought Lynda Carter was the most beautiful woman in the world, and Mom. So I can relate. Though A Superman movie is duable. However, They don't have to remake them, they can use another villain, because face it Superman did have some messed up enemies.

#17 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 04:53 AM

Your right 007Luvchild2.

I would love to see Wonder Women on the big screen. I thought Linda Carter was very sexy as WW.

Ian

#18 Jmart007

Jmart007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 04:57 AM

If they do make a new Superman movie, I hope the special effects in the movie are nowhere near as bad as they were in Spider-Man. Whenever there was a special effects shot of Spider-Man, I did not believe for one minute that he was real. It was still a good movie though, but nowhere near as good as Superman. :)

#19 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 05:07 AM

Nicolas Cage will always hold a special spot for me as far as Superman is concerned. When I heard Cage had been cast as the Man of Steel, I cringed. But then I found out the inside story (or at least part of it). Tim Burton had planned a completely horrible version of Superman and Cage bravely stopped it. Burton’s Superman was to wear black without the S on the chest and rather than flying he was going to have a big black flying car. And that was just a few of the idiotic ideas Burton planned. Cage, who was already signed for some $20 million, said no. He told them that he wouldn’t film a lick unless Superman woar Red, Yellow, and Blue tights. And could fly. Cage also insisted that he wear a hair piece to have the right Superman look. Burton wouldn’t back down of his ‘vision’, but neither would Cage. In the end that Superman never was made.

At least in my opinion, Cage earned the entire $20 million he was paid for not playing Superman. So if Reeve gets a cameo, I think Cage should too.

#20 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 05:12 AM

I would give John Haymes Newton and Gerard Christopher, the 2 actors who played Superboy in the late 80's/early 90's series, first refusal. Beyond them, I've seen no actor who looks like he would make a good Superman. Weird to see Superman mentioned on a Bond message board but, kinda cool as I was a Superman fan way before I was a Bond fan.

#21 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 05:21 AM

Originally posted by TheSaint
I would give John Haymes Newton and Gerard Christopher, the 2 actors who played Superboy in the late 80's/early 90's series, first refusal. Beyond them, I've seen no actor who looks like he would make a good Superman. Weird to see Superman mentioned on a Bond message board but, kinda cool as I was a Superman fan way before I was a Bond fan.

Gerard Christopher is too old. He’s at least 45 now and will be at least 47 by the time the film gets made. I always thought he was too stiff anyway.

John Haymes Newton would okay if he has gotten over the Lazenbyness that got him kicked off the ‘Superboy’ to start with.

#22 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 03:22 PM

Originally posted by 007luvchild2
No probs  
Hey the child in me wants to see Wonder Woman the movie, but because back then I thought Lynda Carter was the most beautiful woman in the world, and Mom.  So I can relate. Though A Superman movie is duable.  However, They don't have to remake them, they can use another villain, because face it Superman did have some messed up enemies.

wow another one besides myself who loved lynda carter , she was indeed wonder woman to me:D

#23 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 03:35 PM

Originally posted by DieAnotherDay57
I read in the star wars insider that Hayden Christensen(Anakin Skywalker in AOTC) is rumored to be superman.  I personrlly feel that he would make a good choice because he can act and is great in action scenes.

Act?? He was terrible in AOTC....!!

#24 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 03:29 AM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
wow another one besides myself who loved lynda carter , she was indeed wonder woman to me:D

Yeah. I could eat cold baked beans off her buttocks...LOL

Ian

#25 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 04:59 AM

Act?? He was terrible in AOTC....!!"

Yes, he was almost as bad as Jake Lloyd. And I recall he got his @$$ kicked in that but he did succeed in murdering inocent women and children-Our hero! Padme fell in love with that loser? :)

#26 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 03:50 PM

Well, in all fairness (believe me - I hate him too), Lucas did a crap job of directing in the prequels. Seriously - look at Samuel L. Jackson. The man's easily one of the best actors out there in the industry today. Then look at him in the SW prequels. He was even given the most laughable lines, such as "THIS PARTY'S OVAH!"

#27 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 03:58 PM

Yeah Jackson was awesome in 'Unbreakabke' but annoying and distracting in the prequels...bad directing... :)

#28 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 04:57 PM

He was also amazing in SHAFT. What did Lucas do to him? Really?