This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

What was the best Model/FX Work in a Roger 007?

21 replies to this topic

#1 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 06:42 PM

ok.. I think the 007 FX Crew was the BEST at making Models.. waaay better then ILM actually (compare the models in Moonraker with george lucas's films.. not the filming with the blue screen... but the actual Model) :)

I dont know what is was with the Roger Era but they seem to have the Best models of any other 007 Era?? I dont know if it was the Filming of them.. The camera movement or the quick editing.. BUT Roger's Era had the best Models!

* Another example of average or bad Model work.. Cliffhanger with Sly Stallone ..had Models... but they looked aweful!! I think in this case it if the Filming/Camera Movement made them look fake!

NOW what would you say was the best Model in a Roger Film.. Model and or FX Work ??

I think Model work with Camera movement which looked real/amazing!
1) Octopussy Pretitle Cuban "Army" Hanger! When then blew up that hanger ..wow what amazing Model work but mostly Camera Movement! They moved that camera like is was the Point Of View of the back of the Mini Jet's Tail.. the way the moved that camera away from the Army Model Hanger!

I think the best FX was..
2) I just found this out 6 months ago.. but to this day I wam in shock.. The Underwater Sequence with Roger & Melina in FYEO... finding out the close ups with the Stars were in the 007 Stage & they were BONE DRY! wow!!! I mean come on that was filmed in 1980.. That is amazing

What is your Favorites?
:)

#2 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 06:45 PM

Best FX Shot:
Roger Moore running up the steps of the Eiffel Tower. At some points, it was really him.

Owwww, that wasn't nice....

#3 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 07:08 PM

I love the hangar explosion in OP.

#4 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 07:16 PM

I love Derek Meddings' work in The Spy Who Loved Me. I adore the Liparus, the submarines, and Atlantis.

Lewis Gilbert said that they showed the Spy Who Loved Me to people at Shell Oil including the captain of the real Liparus and he didn't realize it was a model and not his real ship.

#5 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 07:22 PM

Originally posted by Genrewriter
I love the hangar explosion in OP.

I always thought that the filmmakers destroyed a real corrugated steel building for that scene in Octopussy ever since I first saw Octopussy in theater. It wasn't until I watched an interview with John Richardson did I find out it was a model with 2 inch high pieces simulating sheets of corrugated steel. Most impressive.

#6 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 09:41 PM

I like the Models in TMWTGG allot too! I had no clue that the end when they blew up the secret base was a model:eek:

great work! .. for now but wow that was 1973

#7 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 04:06 AM

Blowing up that waterfront in For Your Eyes Only...

#8 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 04:17 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
Blowing up that waterfront in For Your Eyes Only...

Yeah, that was pretty cool! Especially because you cannot tell that scene uses miniatures. I understand that the buildings had great historical signifigance and that the producers were forbidden to use any explosives for fear that it may damage the buildings. So Derek Meddings and his team recreated the whole water front in miniature and destroyed part of it using explosives.

The thing that is so great about the work of Derek Meddings' team is that there are scenes in the James Bond films that you don't know they even used miniatures.

#9 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 04:22 AM

Derek Meddings said that he is in the difficult position of hoping that no one notices his work.

I always was so impressed with the work they did on that scene in For Your Eyes Only. They had two of the most difficult elements to deal with in miniature - explosives and water - and they managed to pull it off.

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Triton

Yeah, that was pretty cool! Especially because you cannot tell that scene uses miniatures. I understand that the buildings had great historical signifigance and that the producers were forbidden to use any explosives for fear that it may damage the buildings. So Derek Meddings and his team recreated the whole water front in miniature and destroyed part of it using explosives.

I never knew that about the historical buildings...Is there somewhere I can read about that Triton?

#11 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 07:09 PM

Not true. Nick Nack was a miniature.

#12 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 10:44 PM

[quote]Originally posted by DLibrasnow

I never knew that about the historical buildings...Is there somewhere I can read about that Triton?
[/quote]

There is an interview with Derek Meddings in the August 1981 issue of American Cinematographer and I remember reading the article several years ago when I was in college from a library whose holdings have since been destroyed by fire.

Luckily, the Mister Kiss Kiss Bang Bang site of the Ian Fleming Foundation has reprinted articles from the For Your Eyes Only issue of American Cinematographer.

In the article titled For Your Eyes Only and its Special Effects, Derek Meddings describes his minature work on the film.

[quote]
QUESTION: Although you direct all of the mechanical effects on the Bond films, your specialty is miniatures. What was the major miniature sequence in this picture?  

MEDDINGS: There wasn't as much miniature work as in most Bond pictures I've worked on because they don't like people to think that there are miniatures used in those films. They prefer to have the audience think that it was all done for real, but on this occasion, we had a sequence that was shot at a harbor on the island of Corfu (it's supposed to be Albania), where all the heavies have their hideout in a particular warehouse. Eventually Bond and his crew attack the warehouse. The villain of the picture had set the warehouse to explode. When Bond and all his attackers get inside, he pushes a plunger and the whole place explodes. We located a spot on Corfu that had a building on a jetty and it was near a fort - quite a historic fort. All we had to do was build a false roof and blow it off to make it look as if the whole building blew up. When the authorities on Corfu realized what we were up to - we had written them a letter telling them what we were going to do and that we wouldn't damage their historic fort, but they didn't believe us - they said we weren't allowed to blow the roof off this building. That presented us with a problem, because now we had a major sequence that had to be shot elsewhere.  

QUESTION: Where did you finally shoot it?  

MEDDINGS: What we did was build a large miniature on the backlot of Pinewood Studios. We built the whole area in miniature right down to the last detail, including the jetty, the wharf and two boats. One was a lighter and the other was quite a beautiful sailing ship, a three-master. We built the whole lot. The script called for the villain in a Mercedes to drive along the jetty when he pushes the plunger that blows the building up, just as Bond and his helpers come out of the warehouse. We did most of this on Corfu, but we built a larger section of the warehouse out on the backlot at Pinewood so that we could blow the doors off. It looked quite dramatic. However, the climactic moment of the sequence is when the whole of the jetty and the warehouse erupt in balls of flame, and that we did in miniature. It was about 1/12 scale. The jetty must have been about 60 feet long. The actual warehouse itself was about 2

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 02:04 AM

Wow, thank you for digging that link and info out for me....I do think this is the best model work Meddings did for a Roger Moore 007 picture.

#14 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 02:16 AM

God Bless and God rest Mr. Derek Meddings.

He left us some memorable images that looked fantastic - screw CGI! Right then! "Let's build perfect functional models, light it, shoot it right and sell it!"

I recall my late Dad saying time and time again during some of the scenes (sans MR where it HAD to be done - although in the credits "outer space" is cited as a location;)) "Where did they let them do that?"

It wasn't until my later years as a Bond fan (teens) that I came to understand the effort put into these moments and the mastery that was done to create them.

The exteriors of the space station and the Moonraker shuttles were simply amazing.

I miss his touch...Imagine what he would have done with the Ice Palace....(no offense to the remarkable Mr. Peter Lamont's set).

Cheers Derek...and thanks.

#15 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 02:41 AM

I wish they would return to using models over CGI....Kudos to Lucasfilm for making the bold decision not to use CGI on Indy 4.

#16 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 06:20 PM

Isn't it sad that George has run ILM into the ground!!! Remember when they were the only game in town.. BUT because they only put all their eggs into the "CGI Basket" .. they suck!

Digital Domain
Weta

BOTH Blow ILM away..

Isn't it crazy and sad that everyone caught up to George Lucus and his ILM

#17 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 08:06 PM

I would say that ILM is still at the top of the game....and its a gutsy call on their part to not have any CGI in the next Indiana Jones movie!

#18 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 08:25 PM

Industrial Light and Magic still produces some impressive special effects, like at the work they did in last summer's Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl and 2001's Pearl Harbor.

I think that ILM's work sucks on the Star Wars prequels because George Lucas doesn't have any taste anymore, not for a lack of talent on the part of Industrial Light & Magic. I also don't care for the designs of Doug Chiang and Ryan Church and wish that Ralph McQuarrie and Joe Johnston would return to the Star Wars saga.

By the way DLibrasnow where did you read the no CGI pledge for Indy 4? I cannot see Industrial Light & Magic recreating the 1950s without using digital technology. I mean at the very least they would need computers for digital compositing and they would need matte painting work and I seriously doubt that they would paint on glass and combine elements in-camera or using an optical printer. I could believe a less CGI pledge, but not a no CGI pledge.

#19 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 08:40 PM

It was here on CBN Triton....I believe it was Indy007 but I could have misunderstood him.

#20 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 04:56 PM

I can just see it now..

George just pushing for a HUGE CGI Dragon/Snake.. and Indy fighting it

CGI is the death of FX

I love it when it is used to slightly fix stuff.. but for just laziness!

"Hey everyone run around in a Green Screen Room and we will figure it out later"

That is George in a nutshell now

Mr. Roger Rabbit on the new decade
LOL:D

#21 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 05:03 PM

4 Ur Eyez Only --- did you even read my post??!!

There will be NO CGI in the next Indiana Jones movie!

#22 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 12:17 AM

naw.. I missed it but see it now.. if thats true and george can stop himself :) then that is very cool!

If you only saw what I am doing here.. I do like 3 things at once.. so sometimes I just glance at other guys posts

you caught me
LOL