9 replies to this topic

#1 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 06:50 PM

can some of the dalton admirers shed some specific light on the film that would have been released in 1991?

as i recall, the screen treatment revolved around things like james bond fighting against cybernetic creations with dalton's girlfriend/lover at the time, whoopie goldberg having a 'bond girl' role.

could someone shed some light on this?

#2 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 07:40 PM

Originally posted by ray t

as i recall, the screen treatment revolved around things like james bond fighting against cybernetic creations with dalton's girlfriend/lover at the time, whoopie goldberg having a 'bond girl' role.

If the rumours of robots (and not just robots but Disney robots!) and Whoopi Goldberg were true, I'm almost glad that a third Dalton outing never came to pass.

Note the "almost".

I just happened upon the following thread, which looks interesting: http://forums.comman...s=&threadid=120.

#3 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 08:44 PM

Really, really rough early treatment stuff and nothing more. Does anybody seriously think EON would consider Whoopi Goldberg as a Bond girl? It's like when they start spouting about Mariah Carrey singing or Clive Owen being announced before Pierce has even given up the role.

#4 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 10:31 PM

Originally posted by Turn
Does anybody seriously think EON would consider Whoopi Goldberg as a Bond girl? It's like when they start spouting about Mariah Carrey singing or Clive Owen being announced before Pierce has even given up the role.

well...ha...at least carey singing and owen being bond are 'plausable'...whoopie as a 'bond girl'?...whhheeewww!!!!!:)

:):P

perhaps she was to be cast as a henchwoman

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 02:21 AM

Whoopi as a henchwoman, hm, I just don't know. ?

#6 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 11:34 AM

well, er, not to be too unkind, but wouldnt her asthetic attributes lend themselves more to being a hench-person than a 'bond girl' in the traditional sense?

and thanks to loomis for the above link

#7 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 11:40 AM

I read some extracts from this a while ago and was quite impressed with what I read. It's a shame that the film never got made as it would have been a good one.

#8 Jaelle

Jaelle

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 12:52 PM

This thread not only has a discussion of the third Dalton script but also much of the entire treatment, posted by Donovan:

http://forums.comman...30&pagenumber=1

Donovan closes out with:

It is certainly well-deserved recognition for France that he got a story credit for the film. What he provided is a fresh, new story in script form. The producers and subsequent writers took this, as if it were a Fleming novel, and adapted it. I like his version of Trevelyan a bit better than the film. An older, one-time superior of Bonds holds more weight than a younger less-than-equal (we know 007 is the best agent, 006 can only be second-best or less). I like Sean Bean, and his character, but again, this somehow had more substance. His plan for New York makes more practical sense than London, even though it is part of personal revenge. Anthony Hopkins would not be ideal based on what I read. I pictured Trevelyan to be a big, fit man. Hopkins is short and stocky. I like some of the name changes that happened for the final film. The name Marina sounds like a water dock. Xenia was certainly improved for the film. I like the final Tempest explosion--more satisfying than a fire started by a small exploding pen. I am not sure why this script is called "Goldeneye". I may have missed something. So for the Tempest to be renamed GoldenEye is an improvement. For the lesser roles, I think the film was more successful in creating a wider range of personalities. This script lists one Russian name after the other, so it is harder to keep everyone straight. It was nice to see Pushkin. This script, a first draft, mind you, was a very positive step in bringing back Bond. I did read it with Dalton in mind, and it would have been interesing to see this realised.>

The treatment that he posted then developed to an actual script in its initial drafts, which Tim had in his hands on the set of Scarlett (from which he formally announced the end of his Bond tenure).

As to Whoopi, at the time she and Tim were looking for a vehicle in which to work together. There was never any serious consideration of her participation in the Bond film, just jokes made by Tim, Whoopi and the hosts of a couple of talk shows they appeared on (Arsenio Hall in particular) made in passing about how great a villain Whoopi would make in a Bond film. You have to remember that Whoopi made a big splash at the time in the wake of the success of Spielberg's The Color Purple, which is the film Tim first saw her in and became interested in meeting her. She was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar for her role in that film.

They finally did find something to work together in, but not a film (tho they did both appear in Scorcese's Naked in New York, just not in the same scenes). The Hollywood Canteen was having another one of their charity theatrical programs in the summer of 1991. That year they were doing multiple versions of the classic two-person play "Love Letters" performed by a variety of famous Hollywood couples. Tim and Whoopi were both invited to perform but with different partners (they wanted Isabella Rosselini paired with Tim and Danny Glover paired with Whoopi). But Tim and Whoopi insisted on doing the piece together, which the sponsors were very nervous about. No one had ever done an interracial version of the play before. In the end, Tim and Whoopi won out and their production was the most sold out performance, such that it was extended another week.

I don't know what it is about Whoopi -- Dolph Lungren, Tim, Ted Danson, Frank Langella... all these handsome caucasian men do seem to fall under spell...:)

#9 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 01:33 PM

can we merge this thread into the bigger original one?

#10 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 02:39 PM

Wait, I've got it. Whoopi is a funky medium sent by Solitare to warn Bond there is a plot against him. It could have netted her an Oscar.

Oh, it already did.