9 replies to this topic

#1 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 11:46 AM

As of next week, the Bond films are pushed back to later at night [You Only Live Twice airs in various locations around 10:15pm - 11:45pm] than the primetime 8:30pm slot.

Could be just because of AFL coming up to finals time, but they usually hold off the Bond films until afterwards so they can air them at primetime.

I'm going to make the assumption that the Bond films have rated well ever since Ten acquired the rights of the first 16 back in 2000, given that they have aired them on and off ever since.

Would anyone happen to know if this latest run of Bond flicks [made up predominantly of the Sean Connerys] has been not rating as well?

It is possible the television-watching public of Australia has had Bond burn-out, what with Ten's movie library consisting solely of Bond flicks, Arnie flicks, and The First Wives Club and Seven's three Brozzie Bonds being on very regular rotation?

I'd hate to think that too much Bond has caused this as Australia seems to be quite in love with 007. Very rarely do I come across a person who actively dislikes the films. Most people I know will either make a point of watching the films, or at the very least have them on in the background.

What's going on?

#2 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 11:53 AM

The last time they played the films was during the summer **** season when there is absolutely nothing to watch on the televsion, so that may have something to do with why they rated so well.
The most likely reason is that they were just on a year ago, so casual viewers would probably not feel like watching them again so soon.
But to be honest, I dont care at all how well those old movies rate on tv. It doesnt bother me if they're on tv or not, ive got them on dvd.

#3 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 02:00 PM

Ten's really overplayed the market with the OO7 films. They've always got a series running, which isn't a bad thing, they should maybe however only do them in threes. Not 8-9 weeks of films, reduces the excitment and "occasion" of a Bond film on tv.

Also ten's demographic audience is much different from sevens. I've got a friend who works for Ten, and the films don't rate as highly as they did previously on seven... But i've got them on DVD also, and i'll always put a dvd on if a film i want to see is shown on commercial television.

#4 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 02:16 PM

Whenever a Bond movie comes on TV, I just HAVE it watch it, despite the fact I've got them all. I have to see how they edited it, where they cut to ads, what music and image they play before they cut to ads etc...quite scary actually.

#5 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 01:01 AM

Originally posted by 1q2w3e4r
Ten's really overplayed the market with the OO7 films.  They've always got a series running, which isn't a bad thing, they should maybe however only do them in threes.  Not 8-9 weeks of films, reduces the excitment and "occasion" of a Bond film on tv.

Also ten's demographic audience is much different from sevens.  I've got a friend who works for Ten, and the films don't rate as highly as they did previously on seven...

Ten definitely has a different demographic to Seven and Nine. And they're all the better for it. They haven't succumbed to those apparent ratings winners, the renovation-type shows. Sure, they replay The Simpsons ad nauseum [not that I'm complaining] and whatever holes that are left in the primetime schedule by no Simpsons, Bond, Arnie or First Wives Club are usually filled with... well... more Simpsons.

They were definitely onto a good thing by acquiring the rights to the pre-Brosnan Bonds [which I doubt Seven will let go of], but you're probably right in that they've saturated the market by airing them so frequently. Perhaps it would have been a good idea to air eight in a row one year, and the other eight in a row the next [or even every six months and then go a year or so without it].

Originally posted by Icephoenix
Whenever a Bond movie comes on TV, I just HAVE it watch it, despite the fact I've got them all. I have to see how they edited it, where they cut to ads, what music and image they play before they cut to ads etc...quite scary actually.

Likewise. And worse still, if I'm not home, I'll tape it! *breaks down in tears*

#6 minchjp

minchjp

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 05:17 AM

I recon it is great that they air so much bond. My brother works for chanel 10, and says thay have purchased the rights for DAD (But it won't air for a long time)

#7 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 05:57 AM

Could be just because of AFL coming up to finals time.

This is the reason, don't panic people. :)

#8 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 06:28 AM

Originally posted by minchjp
I recon it is great that they air so much bond. My brother works for chanel 10, and says thay have purchased the rights for DAD (But it won't air for a long time)

Really? That's interesting! It'll air some time in 2005, I believe. Films take about three years to get from cinema to TV.

Originally posted by freemo
This is the reason, don't panic people. :)

Phew! Got a source on that, freemo, or it's just a hunch?

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 07 September 2003 - 11:31 AM

Originally posted by [dark]
Really?  That's interesting!  It'll air some time in 2005, I believe.  Films take about three years to get from cinema to TV.

2005 sounds about right, around about the time of the release of Bond 21 in cinemas.

#10 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:10 AM

lol I'm exactly the same mate. I suspect quite a few of us are. :)