jaws007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 07:46 PM

And now for something completely different

It's

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Has anyone seen any epsiode of Monty Python's shows or movies?:) That was defenitily the height of John Cleeses Carrer.

#2 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 09:05 PM

I've only seen MP and the Holy Grail, and I love it. See signature below.

#3 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 12:26 AM

I've seen about half a dozen episodes of MPFC, and I own the Special Edition of Monty Python and the Holy Grail on DVD. I've also seen Monty Python and the Meaning of Life and Life of Brian. I think I'm the only one in my family who finds the Pythons humourous.

One of my favourite quotes from Holy Grail:

Dead Collector (Eric Idle), talking about King Arthur: He must be a King.
Customer (John Cleese): How do you know?
Dead Collector: He hasn't got **** all over him.

Oh, chuckles aplenty.

#4 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 12:33 AM

Originally posted by Double-Oh-Zero
I think I'm the only one in my family who finds the Pythons humourous.

Ah, it's the same with me, only with pretty much all of British Comedy. IMHO, Monty Python and the Holy Grail is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

I also agree that the Python/Fawlty years were probably the zenith of Cleese's career. Though I still like some of his later work.

#5 AgentHMO

AgentHMO

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 02:04 AM

I'm a huge Python fan (at the tender age of 20 besides!).

I own the special edition of Holy Grail (I don't plan on getting the extra special one, followed by the even more extra special one, etc.) and the Criterion edition of Life of Brian. I own a few of the A&E sets, including the Live set, the 30th anniversary one, and the first half of the second season (IMO, the peak period along with the 1st season eps post-Dead Parrot). I see The Meaning of Life is getting the special edition treatment on September 2, so that's a DVD I'm definitely getting.

My first Python experience was catching Holy Grail on Comedy Central with my younger brother, who was about elementary age at that time. We both saw the scene where Lancelot goes on the rampage at Swamp Castle, and we both got hooked.

#6 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 10:31 AM

I like Cleese, I've met him, but I have heard a few comments from others that are not favourable! I Think his first Bond films performance was very off - it was way too theatrical - glad Tamahori pulled him back from that.

#7 jaws007

jaws007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 05:40 PM

You've met Cleese? You lucky...ahem, person! Anyways, I have a link to a site where you can download the scripts from Hollywood Bowl, Holy Grail, Life of Brian, Meaning of Life, various sketches from Flying Circus, exerpts from some of their books, and song Lyrics.
[URL=http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_scripts/]

#8 jaws007

jaws007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 05:44 PM

By the way, who is/are your favorite Monty Python member(s). Mine are: John Cleese, Eric Idle, and Michael Palin

#9 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 05:46 PM

I love Monty Python. I also liked Cleese in A Fish Called Wanda and Fierce Creatures.

#10 Mousey

Mousey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 06:38 PM

I was just about to start a thread similar!

Monty Python are without doubt the funniest / cleverest men who have ever lived IMO. Every single comedian afterwards are in their shadow. They are bloody brilliant!

I have Holy Grail special edition and the latest edition of Life of Brian. I will definitely get Meaning Of Life special edition. On this topic, next year is 25 years since Life of Brian, reckon we'll get a special edition of that?

I love the TV series as well, although the final season (without Cleese) was a bit ropey. My favourite episode is "Full Frontal Nudity" with the Dead Parrot sketch. Although my favourite sketch isn't that one, it's Buying A Bed.

I think it's impossible to say my favourite Python film, they're all fantastic and I don't have a favourite Python, they function as a whole superbly.

Did anybody see the Monty Python reunion from 1998? I re-watch that over and over. It'd be nice to see it a special feature on a future Python DVD, as the picture quality of my copy is getting worse (one of the evils of VHS).

#11 Icarus

Icarus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 10:42 PM

Oh yeah, I love Monty Python. I think one of my favourite sketches is "Ethel the Frog", the documentary about Doug and Dinsdale Pihrana. I always get a good laugh out of the whole Spiny Norman scenario.

My favourite movie is probably The Holy Grail. I dunno, I just can't seem to get into The Meaning of Life or The Life of Brian. Favourite bits from oly Grail are definitely the Trojan Rabbit, the Knights of Ni, the Prince ("One day lad, all this will be yours." "What, the curatins?") and the Black Knight.

#12 AgentHMO

AgentHMO

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 11:53 PM

Originally posted by Mousey
Did anybody see the Monty Python reunion from 1998?  I re-watch that over and over.  It'd be nice to see it a special feature on a future Python DVD, as the picture quality of my copy is getting worse (one of the evils of VHS).

You may want to check out "Monty Python Live" on DVD. The special is on the first disc along with the Hollywood Bowl performance.

Icarus-UK: I forgot about Spiny Norman! "Dinsdale! Dinsdale!" Classic.

#13 Jmart007

Jmart007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 08:25 AM

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is maybe one of the funniest movies I have ever seen behind, Young Frankenstien, Blazzing Saddles, Caddyshack and Animal House. However, that is the only Python movie that I have seen, but I would like to see the others. My favorite Python (I think/hope that is the right way to put it), is Eric Idle, followed very closely by John Cleese.

As for the 1998 reunion, I saw that on tv a few months ago for a second time, and I thought it was still great to watch. Those guys are/were true comic geniuses.

#14 Mousey

Mousey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 02:22 PM

Originally posted by AgentHMO

You may want to check out "Monty Python Live" on DVD. The special is on the first disc along with the Hollywood Bowl performance.

I've never come across that DVD!

I'll be sure to hunt it down!

Thank you muchly!

Upon discovering this thread I had a Monty Python binge! I watched Holy Grail, Brian, Meaning of Life and Hollywood Bowl one after another, then the reunion in '98 and then today have just finished Monty Python Speaks, the most recent book!

I also think the documentary "The Pythons" on the Brian DVD is a good watch. They hadn't worked together for 4 years when they filmed Brian and it's nice to see them back in their day, all happy and commenting on camels and tax dodging.

#15 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 03:03 PM

Love the Flying Circus. I have the book(s) 'All The Words' which have, well, all the words from all 45 episodes of the Flying Circus. (It's 2 books.) Then, a few years back I taped all 45 episodes in proper order, from Comedy Central. Now they're all on DVD, but it's wayyyy too expensive.

I could watch the Argument sketch and the Spanish Inquisition sketch over and over again. (I have.)

#16 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 03:05 PM

Oh, and the Johann Gambolputty sketch. Very funny stuff.

#17 Jaelle

Jaelle

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 03:05 PM

The Pythoners rule! The show was a big hit among a lot of us high schoolers and college students in the 70s. My best friend and I memorized all the most famous routines and mercilessly inflicted them on our fellow high school students at the time. It made for some hilarious cafeteria sessions. We still do them on occasion when we're in an exceptionally immature mood. :) I've got most of the Python films on video or dvd, as well as a video of the most famous Python routines.

#18 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 03:06 PM

That's 'Johann Gambolputty de von ausfern schplenden schlitter crassbenbon fried digger dingle dangle dongle dungle burstein von knacker thrasher apple banger horowitz ticolensic grander knotty spelltinkle grandlich grumblemeyer spelterwasser kurstlich himbleeisen bahnwagen gutenabend bitte ein nurnburger bratwustle gerspurten mitz weimache luber hundsfut gumberaber shonendanker kalbsfleisch mittler aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm' to his friends.

#19 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 03:08 PM

Oh, and the Gumby brainsurgeons.

[censored]'n hysterical.

#20 jaws007

jaws007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 04:48 PM

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night and I work all day. I cut down trees, I eat my lunch, I go to the lavatory. On Wednesdays I go shopping, and have buttered scones for tea. I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night and I work all day. I cut down trees, I skip and jump, I like to press wild flowers. I put on women's clothing, and hang around in bars. I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night and I work all day. I cut down trees, I wear high heels, suspenders and a bra. I wish I'd been a girlie, just like my dear papa. I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night and I work all day. I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK!
I know it pretty good, dont I.

#21 Jaelle

Jaelle

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 05:29 PM

My favorite was The Argument, which my friend and I used to do word for word perfectly. Unfortunately, the memory isn't what it used to be... "Your type makes me puke!" "Look, I came here for an argument!" "Oh, this is abuse." "Oh, sorry....stupid git." ..... "Aha, well if that was five minutes, why are you still arguing? Aha, gotcha!" "Not necessarily...I could be arguing in my spare time."

#22 AgentHMO

AgentHMO

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 06:06 PM

I almost forgot The World's Funniest Joke.

Wenn is das nunshtuck get und slotermayer?
Ya! Bayerhund, das oder, die flipperwaldt gespurht!

It's so funny, it kills me. :)

#23 jaws007

jaws007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 08:51 PM

I heard that they were going to do a reuion pretty soon! Have any of you heard about that?

#24 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 12:07 AM

I haven't heard anything new since they did the Aspen show. Cleese has done some interviews for the special edition of Meaning of Life recently, and it didn't sound as if anything was around the corner.

#25 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 04:02 AM

Recently Cleese denied any rumors about a reunion, due to the fact that they're all so busy.

But anyway - I have the new Collector's edition of HOLY GRAIL, as well as the first two boxed sets of the show - need to get the rest of em!

But yes, they are bloody brilliant.