8 replies to this topic

#1 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 01:39 PM

According to a book I've recently read at the time of Licence to Kill, Michael Kamen teamed up with Eric Clapton to work on a new arrangement of the Bond theme. According to reports, they finished the piece and it was astounding but unfortunately the recording somehow got lost in the vaults of time when LTK would be the last Bond film for 6 years.

Does anybody have anymore info on this? I really am intrigued by it and it really has got me wanting to listen to the piece. But it looks as though it could be many of those Bond things that never makes the final mark and get's lost in time...

#2 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 01:46 PM

We mentioned it in a few threads before, and I think it was somethig regarding copyright issues as to why it wasn't allowed.

As far as I know, Eric Clapton still has it, but it would be interesting to see whether we could actually track it down and hear it (it must be the Holy Grail of bond music)

#3 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 02:06 PM

I mentioned this in the TSWLM titele song thread yesterday:

There's also rumours about sessions for LTK with Eric Clapton, Michael Kamen and Vic Flick. They say that Clapton had a theme ready for LTK, but nothing became out of it for various reasons. The recordings seem to have disappeared somewhere deep down in Clapton's vault an will never see th light of day again. I contacted a die-hard Clapton collector on this subject. No way getting your hands on that recordings, he said.

This has to be indeed the Holy Grail of Bond music. I'd give my left hand's little finger for that recording. It is listed for example on this collector's site: http://www.angelfire...9...NCE TO KILL , but he doesn't seem to have it himself.

Vic Flick was disappointed that the song wasn't used. I remember having read somewhere that actually Michael Kamen didn't like it. Even Flick himself has never heard the finished recording, Clapton must literally be sitting on them.

Check out various interviews with with Flick on the internet, it is mentioned a few times

#4 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 09:46 PM

I contacted Vic Flick a year or so ago and he told me that he didn't have the recording and was searching it too. he even ask me to tell him if i find it.

So we can really say that this is oen of the most difficult bond music collector to have. But i am sure, i am gonna find a way to get it. Nothing is impossible.

level007

#5 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 11:40 PM

Definitely. i think the key is Clapton, if anyone can contact him, then maybe we could unearth the recording. Whether it would be available on the net is highly unlikely due to all the copyright issues and pitfalls, but it's one piece of Bond music I also intend to hunt down, but I fear it may take years.

#6 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 01:33 PM

Why don't you search the net when you have time and see if you can find contact details. Search for a homepage perhaps and se if there is a comments/suggestions/queries address. Maybe you could get some help from them. I hope we do get some result as I really do want to hear this piece.
Maybe we could start a petition for it to be released or if enough of us should interest, Clapton could be persuaded to release it.

#7 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 01:50 PM

I actually have been trying to get the song released since 2000. I contacted Clapton's "people" late last year and I can pretty much guarantee it won't be released anytime soon. Clapton doesn't want it heard for one reason or another.

#8 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 01:52 PM

Well from what I've heard, it's an astounding piece. Why wouldn't he want it to be heard if it was that good?

#9 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 12:05 AM

...I think I'll call up Clapton right now....

"hey dude!! How's it hangin'! I hear you're holdin' a piece of Bond music... Ya'll gonna turn it over to us now right?"